Convertible Hydraulic Leak - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 04-22-2011, 01:45 PM

Mein Auto: 323ci
Convertible Hydraulic Leak

2000 BMW 323ci

My convertible top stopped working a few month's back. With summer approaching I decided it's about time to see if I can fix it myself. When I begin to retract the top, the widows roll down, the top unlatches and I can hear the pump operating. But the top does not retract. I removed the trunk liner and noticed there was very little fluid left in the hydraulic pump and found a small puddle of hydraulic fluid running down the left side of the trunk from behind a small metal plate attached by three bolts.

I removed the bolts and the metal piece to find a 6" long cylinder that appears to be leaking the hydraulic fluid. I took my car to the dealership and asked for them to replace the part. They came back and said it would cost $3,200 to repair as all my hydraulic lines were leaking. I was shocked! I'm not convinced they even looked at the problem and instead quoted me to replace the whole damn thing. I tore apart the entire trunk and found no other leaking hydraulic lines.

So my question is.... is it difficult to replace this small cylinder? Is this a DIY project? I think it's worth a shot to see if I can get a few more uses out of my convertible top if I can replace the part for a few hundred bucks (or less). Can anyone provide recommendation on how this can be done? I couldn't tell from looking at the part how to remove it.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2011, 05:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 335i 6MT
Check here and see if you can identify the part in question.

A pic or two from your car might help....
Old 04-30-2019, 08:56 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 325 ci vert E46 frame
From a 2004 325 CI E 46 vert little used non working hydraulic pump for sale. can be rebuilt to new condition and 3 yrs warranty for $400 by Top Hydraulics. Asking $500 and $20 shipping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2019, 01:44 PM

Mein Auto: 330ci Convertible
I'd find a wrecker and buy the entire top from a 2005/6. It takes about an hour to swap tops. Top Hydraulics will refurbish all cylinders and replace your lines for a lot cheaper than BMW! I doubt it is your pump, as the system is only pressurize when the pump is operating, so if it is leaking in the system, the pump is creating pressure.

Convertible top work is time consuming and finicky
Old 05-01-2019, 01:53 PM

Mein Auto: 330ci Convertible
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/pt...873895929.html

$300 more to ship - it is a perfect solution. Make certain that they disconnect at the connectors in the storage area and include mounting brackets and hydraulic control block.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
323ci, convertible, hydraulic, leak

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search