F06 Door Panel Removal DIY (no pics yet) - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F06 Gran Coupe (2013 - 2018)

F06 Gran Coupe (2013 - 2018)
BMW's entrance into the 4 door coupe segment to go head to head with the Audi A7 and MB CLS

Old 08-15-2013, 11:10 AM

Mein Auto: .
F06 Door Panel Removal DIY (no pics yet)

Out of boredom and curiosity I decided to tackle my first big project on my GC; wrapping the bland wood trim in a sportier and more contrasted bushed aluminum (look) vinyl.

As with any BMW I'm working on for the first time, I knew there would be some similarities and I knew there would be awful, sneaky secrets to learn (hopefully not the hard way). I doubt many of you will make use of this little write up since you're leasing and have no authentic attachment to your cars - but just in case someone decides to tackle a soft-close door retrofit, upgrade speakers, wrap the door trim or whatever...I want to share what I learned to take some of the mystery out of it.

Lets start with the driver side, front door:
Easy. Only one screw (torx) that you'll find in the air vent inlet close to where the door panel meets the side of the dash, you can't miss it. This panel is held on by the traditional clips that surround the parameter, but also has two additional metal clips in the middle of the door behind the door pull handle. Start on the bottom of the panel with a thick trim tool, about 4 or 5 inches behind the floor light. Once you insert the trim tool between the panel and the door frame, pull out very firm, but short pulls trying your best to limit panel movement to 5 or so inches back so s not to stress the integrity of the panel.

Once you've loosened the bottom and edges, the to of the panel pulls straight out, make sure to lift up slightly to allow the door lock to clear and now all you have to do is remove the wiring and you care free to do whatever it is you are doing. The wood trim on all the doors is held in place by clips and torx screws you'll clearly see once the panel is off.

The front passenger door:
About the same as the driver side except there are two screws. One is in the same air vent inlet as the driver side, and the other is hidden inside the diagonal door handle. To access this second screw you'll need to pop the leather trim off the front of the door pull. Start on the bottom, no tools necessary, just lightly pry is straight out from the handle base and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about. Once you've removed both screws proceed forward as you would with the last panel.

Rear panels
If you have power rear shades, read this part carefully.
There are no screws in these doors, but you do have to plan ahead for panel removal to avoid very expensive damage to the panels/shades. There is nothing scary or difficult here, but these cars are mostly plastic, and plastic breaks.

First, raise the shades completely - once you've done that you have to separate the top of the shade form the arm that controls it. To do this you have to firmly grab the top horizontal trim on the door shade right on either side of the rod that extends vertically into the door. These two parts are connected by a clip inside the shade and come apart easy if you pull straight up firmly. **NOTE: The metal rod that lifts the shades will damage your window/tint if you allow it to freely snap back after you pull the shade off.** To avoid this either have a second person hold the rod, or stuff a few rags behind it where it comes out of the panel to ensure it is pushed away from the window.

Once you've removed the shade guide, allow the shade to retract most of the way down, but do not let it go back completely. Let a few inches of it hang over the side of the door panel so you can easily open the retractable cover to allow easy reinstallation of the panel later. If you do allow the shade to fully retract, no problem - you can use a screwdriver from the back of the panel and push it up and out for reattachment. Now you need to hit the shade button again and let the arm retract out of the way.

When you loosen all of the clips on this panel you'll have to release the clips along the top of the panel while taking into consideration that there is a shade-arm-guide inside the door that you can't see at this point. After all clips are removed you'll need to lift the door panel a few inches up before pulling it forward you you can damage the guide. Once you have the panel off you'll see exactly what I'm talking about. When reinstalling the rear panels, be real sure the shade-arm goes back through this guide to avoid problems/damage.

I've removed door panels off dozens of models of BMW's for various reasons and while I would give the intimidation factor a high score because this is the most expensive car I've ever bought - the actual ease of the process in comparison to something like an F10 scores a lot lower. This means it's easy, but scary. Now that I've done it once, there is nothing to fear for the future when I do retrofit soft-close doors. Until then, the new trim on my car gives the exact look I was seeking and I hope what I learned can help save someone the trouble one could easily encounter on an endeavor like this.

I didn't proof read this, so please excuse any blatant spelling/grammatical errors. I don't take any writing serious that doesn't go to print
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2018, 02:33 PM

Mein Auto: E46 330i, LS2 RX7
Thanks for posting. Pics would be helpful but I think I understand what you're saying about the door handle part. I'm in the UK and I don't know where you are so I'm not sure if your driver side is my passenger side or what.

I am planning to change the mids and tweeters of my M6's B & O system tomorrow, in the hopes of getting a less **** sound.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 4.4/2013 650ix GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl0s View Post
Thanks for posting. Pics would be helpful but I think I understand what you're saying about the door handle part. I'm in the UK and I don't know where you are so I'm not sure if your driver side is my passenger side or what.

I am planning to change the mids and tweeters of my M6's B & O system tomorrow, in the hopes of getting a less **** sound.
If you'd like pics with instructions...then save the link below to the BMW online TIS website below. Just type in the last 7 digits of your VIN, then type keywords or a phrase into the search box to pull up links that should help you find what you're looking for.

For example...in this case I would type the phrase "remove door panels" in the search box...you will get links for DIY instructions for both the rear door panels and the front door panels: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/

Also, in this case, the front doors are different...the passenger side (regardless if RHD or LHD) has a long diagnal pull handle whereas the driver's side doesn't because it would get in the way of the window switch block...so it has a small inset/pocket that you stick your fingers down into to pull the door shut.
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 2013 F06 650ix Gran Coupe` (Black Sapphire) 1/13 mfg date
(SOLD)
97 740iL (Arctic Silver) <<~>> 99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=637911&d=1538398374&thumb=1&stc=1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2018, 04:18 AM

Mein Auto: E46 330i, LS2 RX7
Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
If you'd like pics with instructions...then save the link below to the BMW online TIS website below. Just type in the last 7 digits of your VIN, then type keywords or a phrase into the search box to pull up links that should help you find what you're looking for.

For example...in this case I would type the phrase "remove door panels" in the search box...you will get links for DIY instructions for both the rear door panels and the front door panels: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/

Also, in this case, the front doors are different...the passenger side (regardless if RHD or LHD) has a long diagnal pull handle whereas the driver's side doesn't because it would get in the way of the window switch block...so it has a small inset/pocket that you stick your fingers down into to pull the door shut.
Brilliant! Thanks for the info :-)
Old 12-31-2018, 07:44 AM
Living the Dream Bmw

Mein Auto: F06 Gran Coupe
Hi
If i want to wrap my aluminium inned door trims do i need to remove the whole door card to remove them? Or do they just unclip?
Thanks
Old 06-26-2019, 07:57 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
Adding reference pics from 2014 640xi gran coupe rear driver side door.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190622_182815_1561557174135.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	856057   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190622_190006_1561557343327.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	856059   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190622_184759_1561557397455.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	856061   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190622_182528_1561557433159.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	856063  

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F06 Gran Coupe (2013 - 2018)
Today's Posts Search