BMW to Replace Passenger-side Front Airbags in 2000-06 3 Series, As a Precaution - Page 8 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-20-2015, 02:01 PM
Function over fashion

Mein Auto: 325xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoForthFast View Post
got the letter and stopped in at my dealer.
said he's get the part in a few days, and called me in three.
installed the part while I waited and I watched the tech open up my dash and put the new bag package in.

Now I are safe again
When did you get this done, was it recently?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2015, 05:37 PM
Rambling Wreck

Mein Auto: E46
A Houston man driving a 2002 Honda Accord was killed by a defective Takata airbag earlier this month:

Honda confirms ruptured air bag killed Houston driver
Old 02-02-2015, 02:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 02 325CI and 09 corvette
had mine done today they even washed and vacuum the car..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2015, 10:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 330ci
Notofication

Were you notified by BMWUSA that they had the parts?
Old 02-10-2015, 11:14 PM

Mein Auto: '01 330i
Stealership located in Southern California, New Century BMW in Alhambra. Called in December to schedule an appointment. Date was set for mid January. About one week from appt date, it was postponed to mid Feb because they didn't have the part. Now it's February and just a few days ago, it was postponed to mid March. What is this bull?!! I don't want my passenger to die
Old 02-11-2015, 05:17 AM
Rambling Wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfocks View Post
Were you notified by BMWUSA that they had the parts?
I never received the mythical "we have the parts; come on down" letter. It's better to contact your Service Advisor and get into the dealership's queue. If you wait for the dealer or BMW NA to contact you, you'll be one of the last to get a new airbag.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:50 AM

Mein Auto:
Just bought my 2004 325Ci convertible in December, so I guess I need to contact the dealer. I'm disappointed by all the apparent delays on BMW's part. I have a 2003 Pilot and Honda was quick to replace BOTH front airbags.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:27 AM
Team Zippy

Mein Auto: 2000 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamxK View Post
Stealership located in Southern California, New Century BMW in Alhambra. Called in December to schedule an appointment. Date was set for mid January. About one week from appt date, it was postponed to mid Feb because they didn't have the part. Now it's February and just a few days ago, it was postponed to mid March. What is this bull?!! I don't want my passenger to die
Is there another dealer you can go to? I would contact BMWNA on this.

I had my appointment set up about a month in advance and the service person said they even had extra parts in case there was a rush.

Last edited by Brucifer325; 02-17-2015 at 05:29 AM.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 325i
Airbag Replaced Today

I had the airbag replaced today under the recall at BMW of Mt Laurel in New Jersey. There is also a recall for the E46 on the wiring harness for the tail lights, which they also did today. Both were done with no charge. My car is a 2002 325i which was part of the recall.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:03 PM

Mein Auto: 01 325i sedan 222,222 mi
Quote:
Originally Posted by G. P. Burdell View Post
2001 models were affected by the passenger airbag recall, according to the information posted previously.

This document, which BMW provided to NHTSA as part of the recall documentation, shows how the airbag cover is removed and reattached.

The recall letters don't always reach the car's current owner. Your friend can find out whether his car is affected by entering his VIN into the NHTSA recall database search, entering his VIN into the BMW NA database search, or contacting his local BMW dealership.
Had my 01's bag replaced under the recall. Called before I got my letter, as it was apparent, once other car manufacturers got involved, that if you didn't get in early you'd have to wait. They just don't have a few million extras sitting around in stock. Plus I am in a high temperature high, humidity state.
My advice, call weekly and different dealers,if your in a metro, until someone says bring it in.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:57 AM

I waited from Sept 2014 until yesterday for the dealer to get the parts to do the airbag. If you want to know if you car is included under either recall, just call the BMW Dealer in your area and they can check based on your VIN number.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:19 PM

Mein Auto: 1987 Subaru Brat
Called the Athens, GA dealership today and they are ordering the airbag for our 328Ci. You can go to the BMW website to determine if your car is impacted.
http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...eoverride=true

'87 Brat
Old 02-26-2015, 12:31 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972ford View Post
When did you get this done, was it recently?
Probably around sept or oct
Old 03-03-2015, 11:41 AM
Function over fashion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoForthFast View Post
Probably around sept or oct
That's what I figured. I called in late October and got an appointment for November, they said they had lots in stock. Well, they ran out and here we are in March, still no luck.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:32 PM

Mein Auto:
Oh my I'm in VA I called in October recently got my replace in January. Then the advisor going to tell you I think your car need this done and the price. Had a mechanics look at it that specialize in import cars and I don't need it. Make 2003 325i
Old 03-03-2015, 07:31 PM
Rambling Wreck

NHTSA recently announced that it has ordered Takata to preserve airbag inflators removed during the recall process, and NHTSA is also upgrading its investigation to an "engineering analysis":

http://www.nhtsa.gov/About+NHTSA/Pre...-bag-inflators

Has anyone received a letter this year from BMW NA concerning Campaign No. 14V-348 for the driver's airbag? This is the campaign that began in "high humidity" states. Under pressure from NHTSA, BMW NA agreed to make it a nationwide campaign in December 2014.

Last edited by G. P. Burdell; 03-03-2015 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:21 AM

I had my airbag replaced a week ago at BMW of Mt. Laurel in New Jersey and I did get a letter from BMW NA last September, it took that long for the dealer to get the parts. There is also a recall on the taillight wiring, which the dealer told me about when I arrived, so they handled both recalls on the airbag and taillight wiring while I was there. Great dealer if anyone wants to try them. I have a 2002 325i which was included in the recall.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:25 PM
Function over fashion

Well after initially calling in October, I finally got a call yesterday that they have parts in for me (this is at a dealer in NH). I was told that they would be held for me until my appointment which is March 16th. I've never been to a dealer with a car I've owned, I'm expecting them to find at least *something* else that they think needs fixing (no thank you). Anyway I'll just be happy to be done with it.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972ford View Post
Well after initially calling in October, I finally got a call yesterday that they have parts in for me (this is at a dealer in NH). I was told that they would be held for me until my appointment which is March 16th. I've never been to a dealer with a car I've owned, I'm expecting them to find at least *something* else that they think needs fixing (no thank you). Anyway I'll just be happy to be done with it.
If they're going to check the codes for free, then diagnose, why not. When I took mine in, they told me the thing was in fantastic shape, only suggestion was motor mounts, which is true. SA said one of the techs was interested, if it was for sale. LOL. Thanks E46FANATICS for all the PM instructions!
Old 03-10-2015, 07:38 AM
Function over fashion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADF15H View Post
If they're going to check the codes for free, then diagnose, why not. When I took mine in, they told me the thing was in fantastic shape, only suggestion was motor mounts, which is true. SA said one of the techs was interested, if it was for sale. LOL. Thanks E46FANATICS for all the PM instructions!
True, I'm sure they might look at it with an eye for what it needs, that's fine. I'd just rather have the work done locally at a shop where I know the guys, and where I know they truly appreciate the business.

I'm sensitive to the whole concept of a shop finding more work, because I worked for years at a marina and people would bring a boat in for one thing, and we would sometimes legitimately find other needed repairs that were of genuine concern for safety. And still, some customers would come back with, "nope just fix what I told you" and we'd be like, "but, your outboard engine is going to fall off," so I know what it's like to be on the other side of the table. Plus, most people aren't offended when you tell them what you think might need fixing. It's not like you're forcing them to do it.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 330i ZHP
Got my airbag replaced 2 days ago, after getting on the list at the dealership a few months ago. Obviously, a huge backorder on these airbag parts. I just dropped my car off in the morning and picked it up later that afternoon. Went quite smoothly, and my dealer is very good to work with. They did tell me about a "very light sweating" where the oil filter housing mounts to the engine block. They told me nothing to worry about now, but just watch it. Quoted me ~$350 to fix, if I'd like them to do it. Interesting in that is the first "leak" on my car which just hit 160K miles.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:32 AM
Function over fashion

Well, I dropped my car off last night at the dealer, and they called me at 8:23 this morning, I'm thinking "this can't be good." But it's all done, yay! I can't get down to pick it up until after work, so I said, "Thank you! But I'll see you in 10 hours." I guess they're getting good and fast at these replacements now. Or someone at the dealer likes to come in early and get an easy job out of the way to start the day.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:27 PM

Mein Auto: E38 2000 740i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemonb1 View Post
I had my airbag replaced a week ago at BMW of Mt. Laurel in New Jersey and I did get a letter from BMW NA last September, it took that long for the dealer to get the parts. There is also a recall on the taillight wiring, which the dealer told me about when I arrived, so they handled both recalls on the airbag and taillight wiring while I was there. Great dealer if anyone wants to try them. I have a 2002 325i which was included in the recall.
I'm due to go into bmw of mt. Laurel as well. I got a letter in September. They called me back in February. But unfortunately my carrier bearing and flex point failed. It was to cold to fix at the time as I don't drive my car in the winter anyway. But it's getting fixed today. So let's see if I'm going to the back of the list. Lol
2000 323i 5 speed: Remus full exhaust, AC Schnitzer coil over suspension, ZHP M3 short throw shifter, M3 aftermarket front bumper, HID's, Angel Eyes w projectors, 3000k leds throughout interior glove box and trunk. Pioneer sound system.

Former BMW: 2000 BMW 740i e38 m sport
Old 03-16-2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin1881 View Post
Got my airbag replaced 2 days ago, after getting on the list at the dealership a few months ago. Obviously, a huge backorder on these airbag parts. I just dropped my car off in the morning and picked it up later that afternoon. Went quite smoothly, and my dealer is very good to work with. They did tell me about a "very light sweating" where the oil filter housing mounts to the engine block. They told me nothing to worry about now, but just watch it. Quoted me ~$350 to fix, if I'd like them to do it. Interesting in that is the first "leak" on my car which just hit 160K miles.
Probably that $4 Oil Filter Housing Gasket. It's easy, but time consuming. You have to take so much out to get to it. If you're doing it yourself, might as well do a CCV kit , while you have the left side of the engine compartment taken out.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:38 AM

Mein Auto: 1987 Subaru Brat
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin1881 View Post
Not sure about the huge backlog. I called the Athens, GA dealership ~ a month ago, and they ordered it. I called to follow up late last week and they said it was not in, but transferred me to the parts department to verify. The parts person said that my bag was not in, but they had 80 spares and all the passenger side bags associated with the recall were the same. So he transferred me back to the service department and I have an appointment later this week to get it taken care off.

'87 Brat

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
2000-06 3 series airbags, 3 series airbag recall, bmw 3 series airbags, bmw airbag recall, bmw e46, e46 airbag recall

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search