Speed setpoints for volume changes - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 05-31-2019, 03:11 PM
smo1usa

Mein Auto: F33 M Sport
Speed setpoints for volume changes

Does anyone know what the speed setpoints are for volume changes are for the speed controlled volume on a 2015 F33 M-sport with nav? Just curious because the increases are at some points too drastic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2019, 07:27 PM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi 4dr; '03 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by smo1usa View Post
Does anyone know what the speed setpoints are for volume changes are for the speed controlled volume on a 2015 F33 M-sport with nav? Just curious because the increases are at some points too drastic.
I never took note of the transition speed but I can tell you the amount of the volume change is user-adjustable. It's a nice feature that goes back at least 20 years now.

I take it this a pre-owned car, new to you? The factory default setting is not what I would call "drastic". The previous owner may have increased the speed-sensitive volume control to something too aggressive for your liking.

Rummage through the menus related to tone control and/or vehicle settings. It's in there somewhere. If all else fails, try the owner's manual (download a PDF copy from BMW USA if you don't have a printed one).

BMW CCA
Old 05-31-2019, 10:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 35d (traded in)
Speed control should be in “tone” menu in iDrive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2019, 01:42 PM
smo1usa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post
I never took note of the transition speed but I can tell you the amount of the volume change is user-adjustable. It's a nice feature that goes back at least 20 years now.

I take it this a pre-owned car, new to you? The factory default setting is not what I would call "drastic". The previous owner may have increased the speed-sensitive volume control to something too aggressive for your liking.

Rummage through the menus related to tone control and/or vehicle settings. It's in there somewhere. If all else fails, try the owner's manual (download a PDF copy from BMW USA if you don't have a printed one).
Thanks for the input. I ordered this car new in November of 2014, took delivery in January of 2015. I have had speed controlled volume on other cars (various brands) that I have owned since SCV first came out (80's?). I think that the change in the setting number not only modifies the change point, but the amount of increase. I was just curious from an engineer's standpoint. Thanks again.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:48 PM
smo1usa

Thanks for the insight. I was looking for an explanation of how BMW's SCV works, not how to set it. I understand where to go to change the user settings.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '74 tii / E28s / '03 530i
Typically the stock radios use the same microphone that is used for hands-free calling, or one near the head unit, to keep the ratio of cabin noise-to-radio volume the same.
BMW CCA #30375 - National Capital Chapter
1974 2002tii
1986 535i
2000 328i
2003 530i
2006 330ic ZHP
2015 228i M Sport
Old 07-12-2019, 01:11 PM
smo1usa

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
Typically the stock radios use the same microphone that is used for hands-free calling, or one near the head unit, to keep the ratio of cabin noise-to-radio volume the same.
Interesting thought. I had a 750iL (V12) a number of years ago that I think that might have been the case, but I'm not so sure my 435 convertible uses that technology. It seems to have definite change points based upon speed of the car. Thanks for replying.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:42 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smo1usa View Post
I think that the change in the setting number not only modifies the change point, but the amount of increase. I was just curious from an engineer's standpoint. Thanks again.
Human perception of loudness is not simple, it is not linear, it is logarithmic, the exponent changes with the frequency. Worse, the addition of Sound Pressure Levels, the addition of entertainment sound to ambient road noise sound, is also not simple.

Whatever BMW has done is, I believe, ineffective.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
speed controlled volume

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search