2012 X5 i50 Drive Locked with key inside - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-13-2019, 08:55 AM
DocDox DocDox is offline
Registered User
Location: Missoula, Montana
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 41
Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 330xi, 2012 X5
2012 X5 i50 Drive Locked with key inside

We were loading the car for a trip and loaded the back with the stuff, closed the door and it promptly locked! With the keys in it! WOW!! That is NOT COOL!! WTF BMW?? That is a design flaw!! How do I make it so it doesn't lock until I lock it? This it the second time it has happened. Locking a dog or child in the car on a hot day is not good!!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 07-13-2019, 09:15 AM
320kplus 320kplus is offline
Registered User
Location: Ohio
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 54
Mein Auto: 98 e39 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocDox View Post
We were loading the car for a trip and loaded the back with the stuff, closed the door and it promptly locked! With the keys in it! WOW!! That is NOT COOL!! WTF BMW?? That is a design flaw!! How do I make it so it doesn't lock until I lock it? This it the second time it has happened. Locking a dog or child in the car on a hot day is not good!!
Oh man! That sucks! You're scaring me now I just picked up an e 70 20 13 model...
Good luck man and please please keep us posted on the outcome.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-13-2019, 09:25 AM
DocDox DocDox is offline
Registered User
Location: Missoula, Montana
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 41
Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 330xi, 2012 X5
Outcome is that I had to go to my other house to get the spare key. BMW roadside assistance was absolutely no help! I would like to get an emergency key made for it.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 07-13-2019, 11:09 AM
Doug Huffman's Avatar
Doug Huffman Doug Huffman is offline
Nuclear engineer
Location: Washington Island, Wisconsin, thru Death's Door
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 12,533
Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
.
__________________
Scepticism and Animal Faith (1923)
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 07-13-2019 at 11:16 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-13-2019, 01:29 PM
Zulu95's Avatar
Zulu95 Zulu95 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Show Me
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,123
Mein Auto: 2001 X5 3.0L
There is a class action out there for this issue. Check with dealer if there is a Valet Parking key available for your model.
__________________
Sent via Telegraph wires using my Morse Key.

2001 X5 3.0L

2013 X5 xDrive35i
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-13-2019, 03:29 PM
ard ard is offline
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: Sierra foothills, California USA
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 20,367
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
welcome to the club
__________________
Alignment here: The Definitive Alignment Thread

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label


OEM is not what BMW sells


http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-13-2019, 06:08 PM
QSilver7's Avatar
QSilver7 QSilver7 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northeast Indiana
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 11,269
Mein Auto: 2006 X5 4.4/2013 650ix GC
There's already a "valet key" (aka "integrated key") built into the remote.

I've just made it a mental note and behavioral memory to do certain things when it comes to the remote key:
  • NEVER lay the remote key down inside the vehicle. If I need to use both hands...I put the key in pocket, hand it to someone that is OUTSIDE the vehicle...or even hold it between my teeth...but I NEVER lay the key down inside the vehicle. Because soon as you do it...you forget...then close the hatch or trunk...and there you are stuck.
  • ALWAYS unlock the vehicle if you're loading things in the trunk or cargo area especially if the car is already locked. That way if you forget to do the first thing mentioned...when you do close the trunk or the tailgate...the vehicle isn't locked.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0556.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	857987  
__________________
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 2013 F06 650ix Gran Coupe` (Black Sapphire) 1/13 mfg date
(SOLD)
97 740iL (Arctic Silver) <<~>> 99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=637911&d=1538398374&thumb=1&stc=1

Last edited by QSilver7; 07-13-2019 at 06:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-14-2019, 03:09 PM
320kplus 320kplus is offline
Registered User
Location: Ohio
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 54
Mein Auto: 98 e39 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
There's already a "valet key" (aka "integrated key") built into the remote.

I've just made it a mental note and behavioral memory to do certain things when it comes to the remote key:
  • NEVER lay the remote key down inside the vehicle. If I need to use both hands...I put the key in pocket, hand it to someone that is OUTSIDE the vehicle...or even hold it between my teeth...but I NEVER lay the key down inside the vehicle. Because soon as you do it...you forget...then close the hatch or trunk...and there you are stuck.
  • ALWAYS unlock the vehicle if you're loading things in the trunk or cargo area especially if the car is already locked. That way if you forget to do the first thing mentioned...when you do close the trunk or the tailgate...the vehicle isn't locked.

What's a new key run from a dealer? [2013 e70 xDrive35i]
Any idea?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-14-2019, 03:27 PM
Gary214 Gary214 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Central PA
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 476
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320kplus View Post
What's a new key run from a dealer? [2013 e70 xDrive35i]
Any idea?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
$150

Thats what I paid at my BMW dealer. You need Registration and DL copy submited.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-14-2019, 03:39 PM
320kplus 320kplus is offline
Registered User
Location: Ohio
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 54
Mein Auto: 98 e39 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary214 View Post
$150



Thats what I paid at my BMW dealer. You need Registration and DL copy submited.
Cool. Thanks. Only got one key with my purchase...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-15-2019, 04:01 AM
bill13070 bill13070 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Miramar FL
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 212
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D
Maybe not the same ?

I maybe reading this incorrectly but I have many times come back to car at airport and thrown cases in trunk, closing it only to have the car beep at me and tailgate reopen , as the key was still in my computer bag,loaded in the trunk...……………… ?????
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-15-2019, 04:49 AM
Doug Huffman's Avatar
Doug Huffman Doug Huffman is offline
Nuclear engineer
Location: Washington Island, Wisconsin, thru Death's Door
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 12,533
Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
My recollection also. I may have to test mine. I also recollect a function of the CA to prevent locking a key/fob in the car.
__________________
Scepticism and Animal Faith (1923)
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-15-2019, 06:01 AM
QSilver7's Avatar
QSilver7 QSilver7 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northeast Indiana
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 11,269
Mein Auto: 2006 X5 4.4/2013 650ix GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill13070 View Post
I maybe reading this incorrectly but I have many times come back to car at airport and thrown cases in trunk, closing it only to have the car beep at me and tailgate reopen , as the key was still in my computer bag,loaded in the trunk...……………… ?????
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
My recollection also. I may have to test mine. I also recollect a function of the CA to prevent locking a key/fob in the car.
If you have CA (comfort access)...it is "supposed" to do what was mentioned in the quotes above (not sure when it started though).

But there are always exceptions to the rule or "glitches...I've read some threads where the BMW had CA...but the key was inside a purse or a briefcase/bag/etc and the signal wasn't reaching the CA aerials to prevent the vehicle from locking. And some BMWs don't have CA...so there remotes wouldn't have this function.

It's good to do a test...but from the number of threads I've read where it failed...I wouldn't depend on it. If it does happen (unintentionally in my case...see my personal rules above )...my fingers are crossed that the vehicle wouldn't lock me out.

The info below is from the newtis website and I used a 2012 X5 35d (VIN - L666318) to pull up the info: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...access/XPJiwrn



Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Comfort Access System (unlocking).jpg
Views:	127
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	858151   Click image for larger version

Name:	Comfort Access System (locking_doors_tailgates).jpg
Views:	129
Size:	245.3 KB
ID:	858153  
__________________
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 2013 F06 650ix Gran Coupe` (Black Sapphire) 1/13 mfg date
(SOLD)
97 740iL (Arctic Silver) <<~>> 99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=637911&d=1538398374&thumb=1&stc=1

Last edited by QSilver7; 07-15-2019 at 06:17 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-15-2019, 09:22 AM
320kplus 320kplus is offline
Registered User
Location: Ohio
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 54
Mein Auto: 98 e39 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
If you have CA (comfort access)...it is "supposed" to do what was mentioned in the quotes above (not sure when it started though).



But there are always exceptions to the rule or "glitches...I've read some threads where the BMW had CA...but the key was inside a purse or a briefcase/bag/etc and the signal wasn't reaching the CA aerials to prevent the vehicle from locking. And some BMWs don't have CA...so there remotes wouldn't have this function.



It's good to do a test...but from the number of threads I've read where it failed...I wouldn't depend on it. If it does happen (unintentionally in my case...see my personal rules above )...my fingers are crossed that the vehicle wouldn't lock me out.



The info below is from the newtis website and I used a 2012 X5 35d (VIN - L666318) to pull up the info: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...access/XPJiwrn







Somebody mention being able to get the valet key copied? Is this true? Hell I'll just keep a few of those around outside of the vehicle…

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-15-2019, 01:57 PM
Zulu95's Avatar
Zulu95 Zulu95 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Show Me
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,123
Mein Auto: 2001 X5 3.0L
This is what I was referring to:
https://store.bimmernav.com/products/bmw-valet-key
__________________
Sent via Telegraph wires using my Morse Key.

2001 X5 3.0L

2013 X5 xDrive35i
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-15-2019, 03:33 PM
320kplus 320kplus is offline
Registered User
Location: Ohio
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 54
Mein Auto: 98 e39 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu95 View Post
Have you had any luck with this? Does the keys work? Thanks

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-15-2019, 03:58 PM
QSilver7's Avatar
QSilver7 QSilver7 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northeast Indiana
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 11,269
Mein Auto: 2006 X5 4.4/2013 650ix GC
Thanks Zulu for the link.

Looks like it is for the earlier type of remote keys, though...because they only have the pre LCI e70 X5 listed. If you have an LCI e70 X5...I'd suggest calling to make sure that it will work in regards to starting the vehicle. The plastic integrated key could probably still be cut to fit your driver's door lock cylinder (if the keyblade is the same style as the LCI's integrated key).

But you can also order the integrated key that has a metal blade from your local dealer, too...and it would be more substantial (last longer than a plastic blade). Just some random thoughts.



Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW Valet Key.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	858195   Click image for larger version

Name:	spare.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	858197  
__________________
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 2013 F06 650ix Gran Coupe` (Black Sapphire) 1/13 mfg date
(SOLD)
97 740iL (Arctic Silver) <<~>> 99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=637911&d=1538398374&thumb=1&stc=1

Last edited by QSilver7; 07-15-2019 at 04:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-16-2019, 05:20 AM
320kplus 320kplus is offline
Registered User
Location: Ohio
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 54
Mein Auto: 98 e39 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
Thanks Zulu for the link.

Looks like it is for the earlier type of remote keys, though...because they only have the pre LCI e70 X5 listed. If you have an LCI e70 X5...I'd suggest calling to make sure that it will work in regards to starting the vehicle. The plastic integrated key could probably still be cut to fit your driver's door lock cylinder (if the keyblade is the same style as the LCI's integrated key).

But you can also order the integrated key that has a metal blade from your local dealer, too...and it would be more substantial (last longer than a plastic blade). Just some random thoughts.



Roger that. Yes I plan on speaking directly with them first before doing anything. I appreciate the heads up about the LCI. If it's a go, I can get two of these for roughly one of the dealer ordered ones...
On a side note, anything I should be aware of about the N55 engine [2013] with 70k to look for from a preventative maintenance point of view?
As always, thanks for your expertise!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-16-2019, 05:53 AM
Zulu95's Avatar
Zulu95 Zulu95 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Show Me
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,123
Mein Auto: 2001 X5 3.0L
PM: Water pump & thermostat are usually recommended. Belts, pulleys etc are always worth checking. Also check out the link for another known failure.
https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/...tify-part.html
__________________
Sent via Telegraph wires using my Morse Key.

2001 X5 3.0L

2013 X5 xDrive35i
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-16-2019, 07:06 AM
QSilver7's Avatar
QSilver7 QSilver7 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northeast Indiana
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 11,269
Mein Auto: 2006 X5 4.4/2013 650ix GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320kplus View Post
Roger that. Yes I plan on speaking directly with them first before doing anything. I appreciate the heads up about the LCI. If it's a go, I can get two of these for roughly one of the dealer ordered ones...
I just replied to a similar thread on another forum...and using the VIN of a 2012 e70 X5 35d (L666318) when I pulled up the diagram for keys...it clearly indicates that the valet key set pictured above in previous replies...doesn't apply to that 2012 X5 based on its VIN because #3 #4, #6 are GRAYED-OUT in the illustration and are NOT listed in the part nbr index below the diagram.

So it should be easy to figure out if you can use the valet key set...just input the last 7 digits of your VIN in one of the online part database sites and see if the valet key is listed for your VIN.


Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E70 X5 Key part nbr diagram L666318.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	858271   Click image for larger version

Name:	E70 X5 Key part nbr index L666318.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	269.5 KB
ID:	858273  
__________________
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 2013 F06 650ix Gran Coupe` (Black Sapphire) 1/13 mfg date
(SOLD)
97 740iL (Arctic Silver) <<~>> 99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=637911&d=1538398374&thumb=1&stc=1
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-16-2019, 07:32 AM
320kplus 320kplus is offline
Registered User
Location: Ohio
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 54
Mein Auto: 98 e39 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
I just replied to a similar thread on another forum...and using the VIN of a 2012 e70 X5 35d (L666318) when I pulled up the diagram for keys...it clearly indicates that the valet key set pictured above in previous replies...doesn't apply to that 2012 X5 based on its VIN because #3 #4, #6 are GRAYED-OUT in the illustration and are NOT listed in the part nbr index below the diagram.

So it should be easy to figure out if you can use the valet key set...just input the last 7 digits of your VIN in one of the online part database sites and see if the valet key is listed for your VIN.


Roger that! Let's see...
Thanks again!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-16-2019, 09:01 AM
320kplus 320kplus is offline
Registered User
Location: Ohio
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 54
Mein Auto: 98 e39 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320kplus View Post
Roger that! Let's see...
Thanks again!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
****UPDATE****
Not sure if anybody covered this yet but if you want just the insert key, just the key to get in your vehicle if you lock YOUR keys inside the car, the dealer just quoted me $65...
Same criteria you need to bring your registration and driver's license in and it takes 1 to 3 days… [cross posting]
>>Note: I did NOT tell the parts guy that I had an LCI so I am not going to assume he knew just from telling him it was a 2o13 X5 xDrive35i... I will report back...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-18-2019, 09:00 AM
Michael47 Michael47 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Lynchburg, VA
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 802
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d
This is an ENORMOUS amount of information, which is why my key never leaves my pocket. Since I rarely take off my pants to exit the car, it is unlikely the key will get locked inside by accident. Just sayin' . . . .
__________________
'12 X5 35d
'05 Jeep Libby CRD (now deceased)
'01 VW Jetta TDI
formerly '69 BMW 2002 and '67 BMW 2000CS
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-19-2019, 11:37 AM
QSilver7's Avatar
QSilver7 QSilver7 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northeast Indiana
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 11,269
Mein Auto: 2006 X5 4.4/2013 650ix GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael47 View Post
This is an ENORMOUS amount of information, which is why my key never leaves my pocket. Since I rarely take off my pants to exit the car, it is unlikely the key will get locked inside by accident. Just sayin' . . . .
That's good that you rarely take off your pant when exiting the car. I'm sure it saves you from having to do a lot of explaining.
__________________
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 2013 F06 650ix Gran Coupe` (Black Sapphire) 1/13 mfg date
(SOLD)
97 740iL (Arctic Silver) <<~>> 99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=637911&d=1538398374&thumb=1&stc=1
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.