signs of F30 N20/N26 timing chain issue, and OCI to the rescue? - Page 8 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Are the timing chain issues isolated to colder climates? 0 weight vs 5 weight only matters if the temps are low. If you're in Vegas or Miami it doesn't matter.
If someone has spec sheets of BMW Twinpower 0w30 versus 5w30 please post them, my google search has not returned any.

bobisoilguy has lots of threads of 0w30 versus 5w30. The common themes of these threads are "pumpability" at low temp, and "thick enough" at high temp. Note that w30 means the same [email protected], so 0w versus 5w still have lots of "room" below 100C, all the way to -40C(e.g.)

E.g. some non-BMW oil spec(e.g. M1) says 0w30 being thicker than [email protected]

So the secrets may be hidden in the specs of BMW's 0w30 versus 5w30.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2018, 09:25 AM

Mein Auto: Glacier Silver X4 M40i
Timing Chain Tensioner - Replacement

BMW has used at least three different Timing Chain tensioners over the years for their N20 motor. My wife's X4 (F26) was produced 8/2014 so it didn't have the latest iteration of the TC tensioner. The car only has 16K miles on it and has not displayed any of the telltale signs of the TC going bad. Nonetheless. I decided to change the tensioner to the latest version (released 8/15/2016) and I wrote a little DIY (attached). In the words of BMWtechnician "it couldn't hurt."

If nothing else, the attachment has a decent description of the difference between the two latest versions of the TC tensioner.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf N20 Timing Chain Tensioner changed.pdf (504.4 KB, 122 views)
Old 08-19-2018, 10:49 PM

My local dealers are group F, and the foremen said they saw 20+ N20/N26 in the shop for TC so far, mainly X3 and xDrive.

These service bays typically take in 140-150 cars per weekday, and can exceed those numbers on Sat.

How many N20/N26 TC issues your local service departments saw? E.g. SoCal dealers should have even bigger service volume than NorCal ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2018, 11:42 PM

Is anyone aware of any update of these N20/N26 timing chain lawsuits?

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...g-chains.shtml
https://www.kgglaw.com/class-action/...-filed-by-kgg/
Old 03-19-2019, 11:59 PM

bmwtechician.com has several excellent threads on this issue. E.g. some recent posts already ask if borescope can be used to inspect the guard rail weak points(i.e. the clip-on parts), Andreas's answer is that it is not possible, or at least there is no official SIB for this type of inspection.

The only suggested way to visually inspect the clip-on weak points is to remove the valve cover($$$$$)

Last edited by namelessman; 03-20-2019 at 12:10 AM.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:44 AM

A friend with a X3 forwarded a few references to me.

The first one is a comment from another N20/N26 TC thread:

https://bmwtechnician.com/2016/08/07.../#comment-5930

"On the otherhand, coming from polymer industry, Ive seen alot challenge that the old rail were white once and turn orange over time, plastics do turn yellowish overtime due to degredation, it is a result of polymer chains breaking down which is what we will see in aged plastics, yellowing headlights or in our case the timing chain rail. However, it will not turn orange even it is summerged in oil. I do believe BMW revised part to uncolored for a reason. Adding pigments into any plastics reduce the melt flow of the material which results in decreasing the mechanical properties of the materials. The revised uncolored rail suppose to last better. Adding pigments into plastics causes the pigment to break down polymer chains during the injection molding of the part or extrusion which is a 2 step process(color compounding), when I say 2 steps it means 2 heat history applied to the material to further degredates the materials.

P/S: The "white color" of the rail is the virgin color of material, I haven't touch them in person but I strongly believe it is made of unfilled Polyamide."

Another reference is to a X3 thread about N20/N26 TC issue. And post#25 is the first time a poster confirmed a CEL and a camshaft timing fault code, 130E20 "Intake Camshaft offset angle to crankcase outside tolerance", for this TC issue.

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...1482736&page=2
Old 05-17-2019, 04:51 PM

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1614899

Another thread of a N20 TC failure.

BMWNA really should consider extending the N20/N26 TC ELW to 15 years/150000 miles, especially since BMWNA is not issuing a recall on this.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:27 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
A friend with a X3 forwarded a few references to me.

The first one is a comment from another N20/N26 TC thread:

https://bmwtechnician.com/2016/08/07.../#comment-5930

"On the otherhand, coming from polymer industry, Ive seen alot challenge that the old rail were white once and turn orange over time, plastics do turn yellowish overtime due to degredation, it is a result of polymer chains breaking down which is what we will see in aged plastics, yellowing headlights or in our case the timing chain rail. However, it will not turn orange even it is summerged in oil. I do believe BMW revised part to uncolored for a reason. Adding pigments into any plastics reduce the melt flow of the material which results in decreasing the mechanical properties of the materials. The revised uncolored rail suppose to last better. Adding pigments into plastics causes the pigment to break down polymer chains during the injection molding of the part or extrusion which is a 2 step process(color compounding), when I say 2 steps it means 2 heat history applied to the material to further degredates the materials.

P/S: The "white color" of the rail is the virgin color of material, I haven't touch them in person but I strongly believe it is made of unfilled Polyamide."

Another reference is to a X3 thread about N20/N26 TC issue. And post#25 is the first time a poster confirmed a CEL and a camshaft timing fault code, 130E20 "Intake Camshaft offset angle to crankcase outside tolerance", for this TC issue.

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...1482736&page=2
I thought this was refuted already because, if you look that the video BMW provided on the initial batch of N20's, the color of the guide rail is already white. Skip to around 1:05 mark:

Last edited by TopQuark; 07-11-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopQuark View Post
I thought this was refuted already because, if you look that the video BMW provided on the initial batch of N20's, the color of the guide rail is already white. Skip to around 1:05 mark:
My guess is that the comment from bmwtechnician implies the color oigment is even further reduced with latest batch, e.g. white color itself can be from pigment.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search