Recirculate button: Auto vs manual..... - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 03-22-2016, 01:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 435i Grand Coupe
Recirculate button: Auto vs manual.....

The 3 setting recirc button confuses me. It's pollen season here and I want to either shut off outside airflow or at least make sure it's not drawing fresh air in. So which setting: Auto, manual or the one that turns the green light off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2016, 02:08 PM
Warning - Thin Air

Mein Auto: 2002 M Roadster/2014 435i
Manual for the 435i (should be the same for 335i) says ....

LEDs off: outside air flows in continuously.
Left LED on, automatic recirculated-air control: a sensor detects pollutants in the outside air and controls the shutoff automatically.
Right LED on, recirculated-air: the supply of outside air into the vehicle is permanently blocked.

There is also a warning ...
The recirculated-air mode should not be used for an extended period of time, as the air quality inside the vehicle deteriorates steadily.

2014 435i M-Sport, Mineral Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Driver Assistance Pkg, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, 8 Speed Sport AT, Heated Front Seats, Active Cruise Control, BMW MPPK w/MPE, BMW Limited Slip Diff, BBS CH Wheels.

2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:11 PM

Mein Auto: 435i Grand Coupe
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2016, 04:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i M Sport
I was confused about this also.. Thanks!
Old 03-23-2016, 05:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 440i xDrive GC
This shows how many are lazy to get to know their car.

People, it takes 30 minutes to breeze through the manual. You can find so many things you dont yet know about your car!
Old 03-23-2016, 05:25 AM

Mein Auto: '17 540xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
I typically leave mine on "auto" - but we live and drive in a relatively low-pollution area and aren't adversely affected by pollen etc. I have found, that even though the "auto" setting should be triggered to recirculate under certain conditions it doesn't kick in fast enough in some circumstances. e.g. when I'm closing in on a commercial vehicle that seems to be "smoking" or a rat-trap old car I'll tap the button to "manual" - just hate the smell of diesel from older oil-burners and broken emission controls on poorly maintained cars.
"Seek and ye shall find" - start with your owner's manual!

SPAM links removed. Not permitted on Bimmerfest
Old 03-23-2016, 06:52 AM

Mein Auto: 16 435 CV Msport PPK, Q5
manual to keep everything out
Old 03-23-2016, 06:58 AM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: M4 Cabrio - Cayenne GTS
Geez!

Not another manual vs. auto thread!

Hasn't this been played out?

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Porsche Club of America
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
M Gruppe (New York Metro/New England Regional Director)
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 03-23-2016 at 07:01 AM.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:59 AM
Novice driver

Mein Auto: 2014 320i ZSP ZMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Geez!

Not another manual vs. auto thread!

Hasn't this been played out?

Game is still on!

Old 03-23-2016, 10:19 AM
Porleau

Mein Auto: 2017 BMW 340xi M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed View Post
manual to keep everything out
My '14 335xi automatically resets to automatic after a period of time. It isn't necessarily safe to disable re-circulation for extended periods.

2017 340i xDrive | Mineral Gray | Coral Red Dakota | M-Sport | M Performance Power & Sound | ZCW | ZDA | ZLP | 2PE | 2VF| ZTP | 5DL | 5DP | 6CP
2017 X3 2.8 xDrive | Deep Sea Blue | Saddle Brown Dakota | ZXD | ZW2 | ZDA | ZLP | ZP3 | ZTP | 5DL

Gone, but not forgotten:
14 BMW 335xi F30
11 BMW 335xi E90
08 BMW 335i E90
05 Audi A4 3.0q USP
01 Audi A6 4.2q
98 Audi A4 2.8q
91 BMW 535i
87 BMW 325e
84 VW Rabbit GTI
Old 03-23-2016, 11:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2020 BMW 540i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctorrey View Post
My '14 335xi automatically resets to automatic after a period of time. It isn't necessarily safe to disable re-circulation for extended periods.
My wife's car did it too. After about 30-40 secs it would go back to auto. She did not like it at all. Some times the car did it while it was in the middle of a tunnel. Anyway, to may the long story short, I complained about the "back to auto" issue to her dealer and according to them there is an SIB for the issue and all that was needed is to install the latest software. Now the car stays in the manual mode until your manually switch to auto/off mode.
BTW, the latest software version improved the steering feel greatly. It now drives more like a BMW and I do not hate driving my wife's car anymore.
Retired: 2015 328 xDrive
Retired: 2010 550, Space Gray/Black/Aluminum, M-Sport, CWP, L7, Sirius, CA
Retired: 2007 550, Jet Black, Sport, Navi, CWP, Prem Sound, Sirius
Retired: 2005 545, Blck Sp, Sport, Navi, CWP, Prem Sound
Retired: 2002 540, Sport, Navi, CWP, Prem Sound
Old 03-23-2016, 12:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeyM View Post
My wife's car did it too. After about 30-40 secs it would go back to auto. She did not like it at all. Some times the car did it while it was in the middle of a tunnel. Anyway, to may the long story short, I complained about the "back to auto" issue to her dealer and according to them there is an SIB for the issue and all that was needed is to install the latest software. Now the car stays in the manual mode until your manually switch to auto/off mode.
BTW, the latest software version improved the steering feel greatly. It now drives more like a BMW and I do not hate driving my wife's car anymore.
Hmm, interesting. Mine does this all the time and makes me insane. I have the worst allergies known to man and I always turn on recirc and leave it on...my E90 at least kept the setting for the whole drive time - not the 320. I am on this constant battle to change it back when it flicks to Auto. I may ask about the SIB.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:43 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by khammack View Post
Manual for the 435i (should be the same for 335i) says ....

LEDs off: outside air flows in continuously.
Left LED on, automatic recirculated-air control: a sensor detects pollutants in the outside air and controls the shutoff automatically.
Right LED on, recirculated-air: the supply of outside air into the vehicle is permanently blocked.

There is also a warning ...
The recirculated-air mode should not be used for an extended period of time, as the air quality inside the vehicle deteriorates steadily.
And a small note about fresh air - if you leave the system on manual fresh air in the winter, when the heat is on, there is no need to run the air conditioning compressor, because humidity/moisture from breathing will not build up inside the interior. The compressor does run when you specifically run the system in the windshield defrosting mode to remove moisture/humidity from the windshield.

I almost never run the compressor during the winter.

Present - '06 E90 330i sport; Past - '04 E46 ZHP, '00 E46 328i
www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!
Old 03-23-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOEYPDX View Post
Hmm, interesting. Mine does this all the time and makes me insane. I have the worst allergies known to man and I always turn on recirc and leave it on...my E90 at least kept the setting for the whole drive time - not the 320. I am on this constant battle to change it back when it flicks to Auto. I may ask about the SIB.
SI B64 05 15

The above is from the paperwork they gave me.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:48 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctorrey View Post
Huh????? Do you have an explanation for this? I leave my system set to manual fresh air virtually 100% of the time.....as we all did before the days of automated hvac systems.

www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!
Old 03-23-2016, 01:08 PM

Mein Auto: 18' Tesla Model 3 Perf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Huh????? Do you have an explanation for this? I leave my system set to manual fresh air virtually 100% of the time.....as we all did before the days of automated hvac systems.
Mabye there is some confusion in what the two of you (ctorrey and you) are saying?

You are saying you leave it on fresh air all the time... that would be no LEDs right? Manual as in "all fresh air".

In order to get that in my F series, I have to turn OFF the recirculation (if desired), no LEDs.

Ctorrey is saying " dont have it on manual full recirculation all the time" so with constant LACK of fresh air.... at least thats how I am reading it.

So I think you are saying system off, with fresh air all the time (in winter from your post) and he is saying its bad to have the system on manual full recirculation.

2019 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue |Blk Leather W/Blue Stiching | Alu. Rhombicle trim | Adaptive Suspension | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | Wireless Charging | 21" 718 Wheels| | Executive Pack | HK Stereo (hers)

18' Tesla Model 3 Performance |blue /blk|Perf. pack|FSD

BMW CCA #477341
Old 03-23-2016, 01:17 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
Mabye there is some confusion in what the two of you (ctorrey and you) are saying?

You are saying you leave it on fresh air all the time... that would be no LEDs right? Manual as in "all fresh air".

In order to get that in my F series, I have to turn OFF the recirculation (if desired), no LEDs.

Ctorrey is saying " dont have it on manual full recirculation all the time" so with constant LACK of fresh air.... at least thats how I am reading it.

So I think you are saying system off, with fresh air all the time (in winter from your post) and he is saying its bad to have the system on manual full recirculation.
I'm not reading Ctorrey's post the same way you are.

I'm saying I leave my system in fresh air setting virtually 109% of the time whether I'm running vent only, air conditioning, it heat. Mainly, the only time I run recirculated is when I hit the Max setting when first getting in the car on a hot summer day. Max automatically outs the system into recirculate to cool all if the air inside the car as quickly as possible. I generally crack open all four windows for a few minutes in this situation.

On a clear day when I'm sure rain isn't forecast I would leave my windows cracked about half an inch while the car is parked.

www.bmwcca.org

Last edited by tturedraider; 03-23-2016 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
I'm not reading Ctorrey's post the same way you are.

I'm saying I leave my system in fresh air setting virtually 109% of the time whether I'm running vent only, air conditioning, it heat. Mainly, the only time I run recirculated is when I hit the Max setting when first getting in the car on a hot summer day. Max automatically outs the system into recirculate to cool all if the air inside the car as quickly as possible. I generally crack open all four windows for a few minutes in this situation.
So, on your car, what do you need to do to put it into "fresh air all the time" mode? on the 2 F series cars I have leased, I would have to turn the recirculating system OFF (no LEDs on it) rather than automatic, or manual. "Manual" for recirculation on my car turns it to full recirculation.

I have never owned / leased a BMW older than F series (sorry! couldnt afford them then) so dont know if its the same on your car.

2019 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue |Blk Leather W/Blue Stiching | Alu. Rhombicle trim | Adaptive Suspension | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | Wireless Charging | 21" 718 Wheels| | Executive Pack | HK Stereo (hers)

BMW CCA #477341
Old 03-23-2016, 01:44 PM

Mein Auto: 428i Gran Coupe
Quote:
Not at all trying to be disrespectful, but are you being serious? I've never to my knowledge had software updated in a car, though I understand there are different versions of iDrive software. Is that what you are talking about, and do manufacturers really release software updates to vehicles in the field that modify something like steering response?

Again, not at all trying to be a dick here. I'm ignorant of this type of thing and genuinely asking.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 428iAR View Post
Not at all trying to be disrespectful, but are you being serious? I've never to my knowledge had software updated in a car, though I understand there are different versions of iDrive software. Is that what you are talking about, and do manufacturers really release software updates to vehicles in the field that modify something like steering response?

Again, not at all trying to be a dick here. I'm ignorant of this type of thing and genuinely asking.
F30 steering is electronic and for sure is controlled by the cars software. Same applies to the transmission, engine response, etc.
Has it really changed or it is my imagination? I am not 100% sure. All I can say I drove the car to the dealership and hated the steering feel on the way there. I got a 328 GT as a loaner and hated its steering even more. I got our car back and the steering was much, much better. The car became tossable, much more controllable, kind of what you expect from a BMW. My wife noticed the change too. She believed the steering became too sensitive. She did not like it initially but is OK now.

I had a similar experience with my 2005 545. The car had so called "active steering" that was awful originally but became much better after a software upgrade.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:36 PM

Mein Auto: 428i Gran Coupe
Quote:
F30 steering is electronic and for sure is controlled by the cars software. Same applies to the transmission, engine response, etc.
Has it really changed or it is my imagination? I am not 100% sure. All I can say I drove the car to the dealership and hated the steering feel on the way there. I got a 328 GT as a loaner and hated its steering even more. I got our car back and the steering was much, much better. The car became tossable, much more controllable, kind of what you expect from a BMW. My wife noticed the change too. She believed the steering became too sensitive. She did not like it initially but is OK now.

I had a similar experience with my 2005 545. The car had so called "active steering" that was awful originally but became much better after a software upgrade.
Interesting. I have an F36. The steering is definitely numb. It's the only fault of the car IMO. But I still love it and would buy another one tomorrow.

My car goes in for it's next service in about 500 miles. I'd be curious to know my current software version and compare it to the latest version available. Is this something I can see as the end user? My searches keep leading me to iDrive software version information.

Thanks.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2017 VW GTI Sport MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeyM;9592123[B
]F30 steering is electronic and for sure is controlled by the cars software.[/B] Same applies to the transmission, engine response, etc.

To be clear, the effort is software controlled. Other than that the rest of the steering system is mechanically controlled. You control the amount of assist through software but the stiffness of the rack, the alignment settings, the bushings, etc are all mechanical. Your dealer did not change any of this. I think you are mistaking higher effort for better road feel.
Old 03-23-2016, 03:00 PM

Mein Auto: M340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 428iAR View Post
Not at all trying to be disrespectful, but are you being serious?
Yes he is! I had a "Chassis Stabilization System" failure last summer. I took it to the nearest BMW dealer (on vacation at the time). The dealer reset the ECU, did a firmware upgrade and I was on my way. I think my local dealer also did a firmware upgrade during the 10k or 20k service as well.
Old 03-23-2016, 03:38 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
So, on your car, what do you need to do to put it into "fresh air all the time" mode? on the 2 F series cars I have leased, I would have to turn the recirculating system OFF (no LEDs on it) rather than automatic, or manual. "Manual" for recirculation on my car turns it to full recirculation.

I have never owned / leased a BMW older than F series (sorry! couldnt afford them then) so dont know if its the same on your car.

I keep my whole system in manual all the time. I have been checking this on other BMWs recently when I do BMW driving events and I haven't found a modern BMW that will not stay in manual mode if you put it totally in manual mode. I know some people report that their car goes back into automatic the next time they start the car. My feeling is they probably are not putting the entire system in manual mode. I'm perfectly satisfied to make my own adjustments.

www.bmwcca.org
Old 03-23-2016, 04:17 PM

Quote:
I keep my whole system in manual all the time. I have been checking this on other BMWs recently when I do BMW driving events and I haven't found a modern BMW that will not stay in manual mode if you put it totally in manual mode. I know some people report that their car goes back into automatic the next time they start the car. My feeling is they probably are not putting the entire system in manual mode. I'm perfectly satisfied to make my own adjustments.
Sorry TT but I am not trying to be "dense"... but on my car, "Manual" mode actually cuts off all fresh air circulation (when I say manual mode, I mean with the manual LED lit under the recirculation setting).

Earlier in the thread, someone posted the instructions from the owners manual as well which are:

"LEDs off: outside air flows in continuously.
Right LED on, recirculated-air: the supply of outside air into the vehicle is permanently blocked."

In my car, the left LED is automatic, and the right led is "manual" which means no fresh air.

turning recirculation OFF in my car means fresh air all the time. Is this different in your car? I might be misunderstanding you and when you say "manual" you mean " I manually turn off the recirculation system so there is no LEDs on it".

If by "manual" you mean you are selecting the "manual" button on the recirculation system, then (at least in my car) you are not getting any fresh air....

sorry again for being confused....

BMW CCA #477341

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search