Recirculate button: Auto vs manual..... - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-22-2016, 01:15 PM
Hookster57 Hookster57 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,362
Mein Auto: 435i Grand Coupe
Recirculate button: Auto vs manual.....

The 3 setting recirc button confuses me. It's pollen season here and I want to either shut off outside airflow or at least make sure it's not drawing fresh air in. So which setting: Auto, manual or the one that turns the green light off?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 03-22-2016, 02:08 PM
khammack khammack is offline
Warning - Thin Air
Location: Denver, Colorado
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,700
Mein Auto: 2002 M Roadster/2014 435i
Manual for the 435i (should be the same for 335i) says ....

LEDs off: outside air flows in continuously.
Left LED on, automatic recirculated-air control: a sensor detects pollutants in the outside air and controls the shutoff automatically.
Right LED on, recirculated-air: the supply of outside air into the vehicle is permanently blocked.

There is also a warning ...
The recirculated-air mode should not be used for an extended period of time, as the air quality inside the vehicle deteriorates steadily.
__________________

2014 435i M-Sport, Mineral Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Driver Assistance Pkg, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, 8 Speed Sport AT, Heated Front Seats, Active Cruise Control, BMW MPPK w/MPE, BMW Limited Slip Diff, BBS CH Wheels.

2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-22-2016, 09:11 PM
Hookster57 Hookster57 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,362
Mein Auto: 435i Grand Coupe
Thanks
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 03-23-2016, 04:52 AM
Stefanf20 Stefanf20 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 101
Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i M Sport
I was confused about this also.. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-23-2016, 05:11 AM
VVlasy VVlasy is offline
Registered User
Location: Czech republic
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 71
Mein Auto: 2016 440i xDrive GC
This shows how many are lazy to get to know their car.

People, it takes 30 minutes to breeze through the manual. You can find so many things you dont yet know about your car!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-23-2016, 05:25 AM
luigi524td luigi524td is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: The State of Southern NJ
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 4,104
Mein Auto: '17 540xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
I typically leave mine on "auto" - but we live and drive in a relatively low-pollution area and aren't adversely affected by pollen etc. I have found, that even though the "auto" setting should be triggered to recirculate under certain conditions it doesn't kick in fast enough in some circumstances. e.g. when I'm closing in on a commercial vehicle that seems to be "smoking" or a rat-trap old car I'll tap the button to "manual" - just hate the smell of diesel from older oil-burners and broken emission controls on poorly maintained cars.
__________________
My opinions are free - you'll get exactly what you pay for!
Current: '17 540 xDrive | '13 X1 MSport | '98 Z3 2.8
Past: '13 535xDrive|'07 530xi|'01 740i|'98 740i|'94 740i |'86 524TD
"Seek and ye shall find" - start with your owner's manual!


SPAM links removed. Not permitted on Bimmerfest
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-23-2016, 06:52 AM
need4speed's Avatar
need4speed need4speed is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South Carolina
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5,495
Mein Auto: 16 435 CV Msport PPK, Q5
manual to keep everything out
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-23-2016, 06:58 AM
captainaudio's Avatar
captainaudio captainaudio is offline
Worlds Foremost Authority
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Lime Rock CT
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 15,956
Mein Auto: M4 Cabrio - Cayenne GTS
Geez!

Not another manual vs. auto thread!

Hasn't this been played out?

__________________


Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Porsche Club of America
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
M Gruppe (New York Metro/New England Regional Director)
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 03-23-2016 at 07:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-23-2016, 09:59 AM
gkr778's Avatar
gkr778 gkr778 is offline
Novice driver
Location: Southaven, Mississippi USA
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,897
Mein Auto: 2014 320i ZSP ZMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Geez!

Not another manual vs. auto thread!

Hasn't this been played out?

Game is still on!
__________________
What the world needs is a few more rednecks - Charlie Daniels
Tell you about rednecks. They’re probably the only people in the whole country that ain’t unfit. - Fred Reed
God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-23-2016, 10:19 AM
ctorrey ctorrey is offline
Porleau
Location: Boston
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,473
Mein Auto: 2017 BMW 340xi M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed View Post
manual to keep everything out
My '14 335xi automatically resets to automatic after a period of time. It isn't necessarily safe to disable re-circulation for extended periods.
__________________
ChuckieT

2017 340i xDrive | Mineral Gray | Coral Red Dakota | M-Sport | M Performance Power & Sound | ZCW | ZDA | ZLP | 2PE | 2VF| ZTP | 5DL | 5DP | 6CP
2017 X3 2.8 xDrive | Deep Sea Blue | Saddle Brown Dakota | ZXD | ZW2 | ZDA | ZLP | ZP3 | ZTP | 5DL


Gone, but not forgotten:
14 BMW 335xi F30
11 BMW 335xi E90
08 BMW 335i E90
05 Audi A4 3.0q USP
01 Audi A6 4.2q
98 Audi A4 2.8q
91 BMW 535i
87 BMW 325e
84 VW Rabbit GTI
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-23-2016, 11:03 AM
SergeyM SergeyM is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northern NJ
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 301
Mein Auto: 2020 BMW 540i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctorrey View Post
My '14 335xi automatically resets to automatic after a period of time. It isn't necessarily safe to disable re-circulation for extended periods.
My wife's car did it too. After about 30-40 secs it would go back to auto. She did not like it at all. Some times the car did it while it was in the middle of a tunnel. Anyway, to may the long story short, I complained about the "back to auto" issue to her dealer and according to them there is an SIB for the issue and all that was needed is to install the latest software. Now the car stays in the manual mode until your manually switch to auto/off mode.
BTW, the latest software version improved the steering feel greatly. It now drives more like a BMW and I do not hate driving my wife's car anymore.
__________________
2020 BMW 540 xDrive, M-Sport
Retired: 2016 BMW 535 xDrive
Gone but not forgotten: 2018 BMW 340i xDrive, M-Sport with AS, Premium, PDC, Heated steering wheel
Retired: 2015 328 xDrive
Retired: 2010 550, Space Gray/Black/Aluminum, M-Sport, CWP, L7, Sirius, CA
Retired: 2007 550, Jet Black, Sport, Navi, CWP, Prem Sound, Sirius
Retired: 2005 545, Blck Sp, Sport, Navi, CWP, Prem Sound
Retired: 2002 540, Sport, Navi, CWP, Prem Sound
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-23-2016, 12:16 PM
JOEYPDX JOEYPDX is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Tucson
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 312
Mein Auto: 2018 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeyM View Post
My wife's car did it too. After about 30-40 secs it would go back to auto. She did not like it at all. Some times the car did it while it was in the middle of a tunnel. Anyway, to may the long story short, I complained about the "back to auto" issue to her dealer and according to them there is an SIB for the issue and all that was needed is to install the latest software. Now the car stays in the manual mode until your manually switch to auto/off mode.
BTW, the latest software version improved the steering feel greatly. It now drives more like a BMW and I do not hate driving my wife's car anymore.
Hmm, interesting. Mine does this all the time and makes me insane. I have the worst allergies known to man and I always turn on recirc and leave it on...my E90 at least kept the setting for the whole drive time - not the 320. I am on this constant battle to change it back when it flicks to Auto. I may ask about the SIB.
__________________
2018 330i
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-23-2016, 12:43 PM
tturedraider's Avatar
tturedraider tturedraider is offline
Freedom isn't free!!
Location: Chicago, Edgewater (via Tennessee & Texas)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 19,740
Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by khammack View Post
Manual for the 435i (should be the same for 335i) says ....

LEDs off: outside air flows in continuously.
Left LED on, automatic recirculated-air control: a sensor detects pollutants in the outside air and controls the shutoff automatically.
Right LED on, recirculated-air: the supply of outside air into the vehicle is permanently blocked.

There is also a warning ...
The recirculated-air mode should not be used for an extended period of time, as the air quality inside the vehicle deteriorates steadily.
And a small note about fresh air - if you leave the system on manual fresh air in the winter, when the heat is on, there is no need to run the air conditioning compressor, because humidity/moisture from breathing will not build up inside the interior. The compressor does run when you specifically run the system in the windshield defrosting mode to remove moisture/humidity from the windshield.

I almost never run the compressor during the winter.
__________________

Present - '06 E90 330i sport; Past - '04 E46 ZHP, '00 E46 328i
www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-23-2016, 12:45 PM
SergeyM SergeyM is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northern NJ
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 301
Mein Auto: 2020 BMW 540i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOEYPDX View Post
Hmm, interesting. Mine does this all the time and makes me insane. I have the worst allergies known to man and I always turn on recirc and leave it on...my E90 at least kept the setting for the whole drive time - not the 320. I am on this constant battle to change it back when it flicks to Auto. I may ask about the SIB.
SI B64 05 15

The above is from the paperwork they gave me.
__________________
2020 BMW 540 xDrive, M-Sport
Retired: 2016 BMW 535 xDrive
Gone but not forgotten: 2018 BMW 340i xDrive, M-Sport with AS, Premium, PDC, Heated steering wheel
Retired: 2015 328 xDrive
Retired: 2010 550, Space Gray/Black/Aluminum, M-Sport, CWP, L7, Sirius, CA
Retired: 2007 550, Jet Black, Sport, Navi, CWP, Prem Sound, Sirius
Retired: 2005 545, Blck Sp, Sport, Navi, CWP, Prem Sound
Retired: 2002 540, Sport, Navi, CWP, Prem Sound
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-23-2016, 12:48 PM
tturedraider's Avatar
tturedraider tturedraider is offline
Freedom isn't free!!
Location: Chicago, Edgewater (via Tennessee & Texas)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 19,740
Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctorrey View Post
My '14 335xi automatically resets to automatic after a period of time. It isn't necessarily safe to disable re-circulation for extended periods.
Huh????? Do you have an explanation for this? I leave my system set to manual fresh air virtually 100% of the time.....as we all did before the days of automated hvac systems.
__________________

Present - '06 E90 330i sport; Past - '04 E46 ZHP, '00 E46 328i
www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-23-2016, 01:08 PM
jjrandorin jjrandorin is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 8,860
Mein Auto: 18' Tesla Model 3 Perf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Huh????? Do you have an explanation for this? I leave my system set to manual fresh air virtually 100% of the time.....as we all did before the days of automated hvac systems.
Mabye there is some confusion in what the two of you (ctorrey and you) are saying?

You are saying you leave it on fresh air all the time... that would be no LEDs right? Manual as in "all fresh air".

In order to get that in my F series, I have to turn OFF the recirculation (if desired), no LEDs.

Ctorrey is saying " dont have it on manual full recirculation all the time" so with constant LACK of fresh air.... at least thats how I am reading it.

So I think you are saying system off, with fresh air all the time (in winter from your post) and he is saying its bad to have the system on manual full recirculation.
__________________

2019 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue |Blk Leather W/Blue Stiching | Alu. Rhombicle trim | Adaptive Suspension | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | Wireless Charging | 21" 718 Wheels| | Executive Pack | HK Stereo (hers)

18' Tesla Model 3 Performance |blue /blk|Perf. pack|FSD

BMW CCA #477341
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-23-2016, 01:17 PM
tturedraider's Avatar
tturedraider tturedraider is offline
Freedom isn't free!!
Location: Chicago, Edgewater (via Tennessee & Texas)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 19,740
Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
Mabye there is some confusion in what the two of you (ctorrey and you) are saying?

You are saying you leave it on fresh air all the time... that would be no LEDs right? Manual as in "all fresh air".

In order to get that in my F series, I have to turn OFF the recirculation (if desired), no LEDs.

Ctorrey is saying " dont have it on manual full recirculation all the time" so with constant LACK of fresh air.... at least thats how I am reading it.

So I think you are saying system off, with fresh air all the time (in winter from your post) and he is saying its bad to have the system on manual full recirculation.
I'm not reading Ctorrey's post the same way you are.

I'm saying I leave my system in fresh air setting virtually 109% of the time whether I'm running vent only, air conditioning, it heat. Mainly, the only time I run recirculated is when I hit the Max setting when first getting in the car on a hot summer day. Max automatically outs the system into recirculate to cool all if the air inside the car as quickly as possible. I generally crack open all four windows for a few minutes in this situation.

On a clear day when I'm sure rain isn't forecast I would leave my windows cracked about half an inch while the car is parked.
__________________

Present - '06 E90 330i sport; Past - '04 E46 ZHP, '00 E46 328i
www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

Last edited by tturedraider; 03-23-2016 at 01:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-23-2016, 01:21 PM
jjrandorin jjrandorin is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 8,860
Mein Auto: 18' Tesla Model 3 Perf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
I'm not reading Ctorrey's post the same way you are.

I'm saying I leave my system in fresh air setting virtually 109% of the time whether I'm running vent only, air conditioning, it heat. Mainly, the only time I run recirculated is when I hit the Max setting when first getting in the car on a hot summer day. Max automatically outs the system into recirculate to cool all if the air inside the car as quickly as possible. I generally crack open all four windows for a few minutes in this situation.
So, on your car, what do you need to do to put it into "fresh air all the time" mode? on the 2 F series cars I have leased, I would have to turn the recirculating system OFF (no LEDs on it) rather than automatic, or manual. "Manual" for recirculation on my car turns it to full recirculation.

I have never owned / leased a BMW older than F series (sorry! couldnt afford them then) so dont know if its the same on your car.
__________________

2019 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue |Blk Leather W/Blue Stiching | Alu. Rhombicle trim | Adaptive Suspension | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | Wireless Charging | 21" 718 Wheels| | Executive Pack | HK Stereo (hers)

18' Tesla Model 3 Performance |blue /blk|Perf. pack|FSD

BMW CCA #477341
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-23-2016, 01:44 PM
428iAR 428iAR is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Arkansas
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 669
Mein Auto: 428i Gran Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeyM View Post
BTW, the latest software version improved the steering feel greatly. It now drives more like a BMW and I do not hate driving my wife's car anymore.
Not at all trying to be disrespectful, but are you being serious? I've never to my knowledge had software updated in a car, though I understand there are different versions of iDrive software. Is that what you are talking about, and do manufacturers really release software updates to vehicles in the field that modify something like steering response?

Again, not at all trying to be a dick here. I'm ignorant of this type of thing and genuinely asking.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-23-2016, 02:29 PM
SergeyM SergeyM is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northern NJ
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 301
Mein Auto: 2020 BMW 540i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by 428iAR View Post
Not at all trying to be disrespectful, but are you being serious? I've never to my knowledge had software updated in a car, though I understand there are different versions of iDrive software. Is that what you are talking about, and do manufacturers really release software updates to vehicles in the field that modify something like steering response?

Again, not at all trying to be a dick here. I'm ignorant of this type of thing and genuinely asking.
F30 steering is electronic and for sure is controlled by the cars software. Same applies to the transmission, engine response, etc.
Has it really changed or it is my imagination? I am not 100% sure. All I can say I drove the car to the dealership and hated the steering feel on the way there. I got a 328 GT as a loaner and hated its steering even more. I got our car back and the steering was much, much better. The car became tossable, much more controllable, kind of what you expect from a BMW. My wife noticed the change too. She believed the steering became too sensitive. She did not like it initially but is OK now.

I had a similar experience with my 2005 545. The car had so called "active steering" that was awful originally but became much better after a software upgrade.
__________________
2020 BMW 540 xDrive, M-Sport
Retired: 2016 BMW 535 xDrive
Gone but not forgotten: 2018 BMW 340i xDrive, M-Sport with AS, Premium, PDC, Heated steering wheel
Retired: 2015 328 xDrive
Retired: 2010 550, Space Gray/Black/Aluminum, M-Sport, CWP, L7, Sirius, CA
Retired: 2007 550, Jet Black, Sport, Navi, CWP, Prem Sound, Sirius
Retired: 2005 545, Blck Sp, Sport, Navi, CWP, Prem Sound
Retired: 2002 540, Sport, Navi, CWP, Prem Sound
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-23-2016, 02:36 PM
428iAR 428iAR is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Arkansas
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 669
Mein Auto: 428i Gran Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeyM View Post
F30 steering is electronic and for sure is controlled by the cars software. Same applies to the transmission, engine response, etc.
Has it really changed or it is my imagination? I am not 100% sure. All I can say I drove the car to the dealership and hated the steering feel on the way there. I got a 328 GT as a loaner and hated its steering even more. I got our car back and the steering was much, much better. The car became tossable, much more controllable, kind of what you expect from a BMW. My wife noticed the change too. She believed the steering became too sensitive. She did not like it initially but is OK now.

I had a similar experience with my 2005 545. The car had so called "active steering" that was awful originally but became much better after a software upgrade.
Interesting. I have an F36. The steering is definitely numb. It's the only fault of the car IMO. But I still love it and would buy another one tomorrow.

My car goes in for it's next service in about 500 miles. I'd be curious to know my current software version and compare it to the latest version available. Is this something I can see as the end user? My searches keep leading me to iDrive software version information.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-23-2016, 02:38 PM
Michael Schott Michael Schott is online now
Super Moderator
Location: Farmington Hills, MI
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,930
Mein Auto: 2017 VW GTI Sport MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeyM;9592123[B
]F30 steering is electronic and for sure is controlled by the cars software.[/B] Same applies to the transmission, engine response, etc.
Has it really changed or it is my imagination? I am not 100% sure. All I can say I drove the car to the dealership and hated the steering feel on the way there. I got a 328 GT as a loaner and hated its steering even more. I got our car back and the steering was much, much better. The car became tossable, much more controllable, kind of what you expect from a BMW. My wife noticed the change too. She believed the steering became too sensitive. She did not like it initially but is OK now.

I had a similar experience with my 2005 545. The car had so called "active steering" that was awful originally but became much better after a software upgrade.
To be clear, the effort is software controlled. Other than that the rest of the steering system is mechanically controlled. You control the amount of assist through software but the stiffness of the rack, the alignment settings, the bushings, etc are all mechanical. Your dealer did not change any of this. I think you are mistaking higher effort for better road feel.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-23-2016, 03:00 PM
ksuderman ksuderman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Poughkeepsie, NY
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 254
Mein Auto: M340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 428iAR View Post
Not at all trying to be disrespectful, but are you being serious?
Yes he is! I had a "Chassis Stabilization System" failure last summer. I took it to the nearest BMW dealer (on vacation at the time). The dealer reset the ECU, did a firmware upgrade and I was on my way. I think my local dealer also did a firmware upgrade during the 10k or 20k service as well.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-23-2016, 03:38 PM
tturedraider's Avatar
tturedraider tturedraider is offline
Freedom isn't free!!
Location: Chicago, Edgewater (via Tennessee & Texas)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 19,740
Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
So, on your car, what do you need to do to put it into "fresh air all the time" mode? on the 2 F series cars I have leased, I would have to turn the recirculating system OFF (no LEDs on it) rather than automatic, or manual. "Manual" for recirculation on my car turns it to full recirculation.

I have never owned / leased a BMW older than F series (sorry! couldnt afford them then) so dont know if its the same on your car.

I keep my whole system in manual all the time. I have been checking this on other BMWs recently when I do BMW driving events and I haven't found a modern BMW that will not stay in manual mode if you put it totally in manual mode. I know some people report that their car goes back into automatic the next time they start the car. My feeling is they probably are not putting the entire system in manual mode. I'm perfectly satisfied to make my own adjustments.
__________________

Present - '06 E90 330i sport; Past - '04 E46 ZHP, '00 E46 328i
www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-23-2016, 04:17 PM
jjrandorin jjrandorin is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 8,860
Mein Auto: 18' Tesla Model 3 Perf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
I keep my whole system in manual all the time. I have been checking this on other BMWs recently when I do BMW driving events and I haven't found a modern BMW that will not stay in manual mode if you put it totally in manual mode. I know some people report that their car goes back into automatic the next time they start the car. My feeling is they probably are not putting the entire system in manual mode. I'm perfectly satisfied to make my own adjustments.
Sorry TT but I am not trying to be "dense"... but on my car, "Manual" mode actually cuts off all fresh air circulation (when I say manual mode, I mean with the manual LED lit under the recirculation setting).

Earlier in the thread, someone posted the instructions from the owners manual as well which are:

"LEDs off: outside air flows in continuously.
Left LED on, automatic recirculated-air control: a sensor detects pollutants in the outside air and controls the shutoff automatically.
Right LED on, recirculated-air: the supply of outside air into the vehicle is permanently blocked."

In my car, the left LED is automatic, and the right led is "manual" which means no fresh air.

turning recirculation OFF in my car means fresh air all the time. Is this different in your car? I might be misunderstanding you and when you say "manual" you mean " I manually turn off the recirculation system so there is no LEDs on it".

If by "manual" you mean you are selecting the "manual" button on the recirculation system, then (at least in my car) you are not getting any fresh air....

sorry again for being confused....
__________________

2019 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue |Blk Leather W/Blue Stiching | Alu. Rhombicle trim | Adaptive Suspension | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | Wireless Charging | 21" 718 Wheels| | Executive Pack | HK Stereo (hers)

18' Tesla Model 3 Performance |blue /blk|Perf. pack|FSD

BMW CCA #477341
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.