FUYAO glass and its origin? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 05-28-2017, 04:22 PM

Mein Auto: Bicycle
FUYAO glass and its origin?

Hello guys,

I am in the process of buying an used F30 and this whole FUYAO glass thing is eating me inside out.

Does anyone have any info on where exactly this glass is made in? If you check FUYAO site it says they have manufacturing locations for automotive glass in Germany, Korea, Russia, China etc.
Is there any info out there whatsoever on the country of origin for this car glass?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2017, 04:29 PM
Novice driver

Mein Auto: 2014 320i ZSP ZMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatsquirrel View Post
Hello guys,

I am in the process of buying an used F30 and this whole FUYAO glass thing is eating me inside out.
Why?

Old 05-28-2017, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 320i/F30
F30 side glass is from Fuyao, Changchun, Jilin, People's Republic of China. That company has a Dayton, Ohio factory making glass for US companies, VW, and Toyota.

Pickington windshield from England, rear glass from Turkey.

Last edited by Dave 20T; 05-28-2017 at 06:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2017, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 20T View Post
F30 side glass is from Fuyao, Changchun, Jilin, People's Republic of China.
May I kindly ask where did you get this info?
Old 05-28-2017, 11:17 PM

Mein Auto: 3GT.20xd.M Sport
What is your issue with Fuyao glass?
Did you visit the factory? Did you work there?
What is your concern?

Have you already have a car with Fuyao glass in it?
Did you have any issues with Fuyao glass before?
Old 05-29-2017, 05:22 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by dombi View Post
What is your concern?

dombi, it is now over 12 hours since OP's first communiqué, and we no nearer the truth. Every passing minute tips the scales -- a sophisticated exploit, Pres. Trump's G-7 notice?

"The Germans are bad, very bad," Der Spiegel cited Trump as saying to unidentified participants at a closed-door meeting Thursday with European Union officials in Brussels. "Look at the millions of cars that they sell in the U.S. Terrible. We're going to stop that."

Germany vs Gentleman Trump....?

Last edited by CALWATERBOY DUE; 05-29-2017 at 05:51 AM.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dombi View Post
What is your concern?

No and no.
My concern is that I want to know where this glass was made in because on their official page, information is a pile of messed up ****.
Sometimes they are claiming they have factory in Germany, the next page they are saying its just distribution center.
Same goes for other countries so I'm really confused.
And if I could choose Id choose any proper glass manufacturer over Fuyao. Saint Gobain, Pilkington even Starglass and so on.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 530e
I don't know why it matters but my 2016 330e with HUD has Pilkington windshield, Duracam rear window and Fuyao side window glass. All is marked "BMW"
Old 05-29-2017, 09:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive35i
Can't quite figure out what this thread is all about. To the OP, if you're concerned about buying a vehicle with parts sourced from all around the world -- including China -- then you're best off not buying a car. You may be able to build your own buggy if you can get a horse to pull it. But in today's global supply chain, the world is much smaller and we're all tied together. In many ways, that's a good thing. It's much harder to launch a war with a trading partner knowing your economy will tank as a result.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:56 AM
This Space 4 Rent

Mein Auto: 17 F33 B58 xDrive
What you haven't answered after being asked several times is what you have against glass made in China. I'm sure there are other parts of Chinese origin in a BMW or any other car. What specifically is your issue with glass from China? Do you know of quality issues? Is it a fear of lead based glass coating in case you or a family member licks the glass repeatedly? Is it political? Did a Chinese feller steal your sweetheart?

2017 440i xDrive M Sport Convertible - European Delivery March 2017 - Glacier Silver - Black - Ash Grain - M Sport Brakes - 442M 19s Orbit Grey - Variable Sport Steering -
Adaptive M Suspension - Driving Assistance Package - Technology Package - Top / Side View Cameras - JB+

Last edited by CoyoteZak; 05-29-2017 at 12:00 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 320i/F30
Quote:
May I kindly ask where did you get this info?
The glass itself has a DOT code on it.
Step by step instructions when a hood release cable needs replacement. https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=981724
SIB 11 13 15 oil filter housing for the F30 - metal since mid-2013 and can be retrofitted without charge
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=951692
Old 05-29-2017, 06:13 PM
2015 328x

Mein Auto: 2018 BMW 330i xdrive
Some purchases are over thought. Is the air in the tires from Germany or is the rubber outsourced? If it is outsourced and exposed to air in another country I think we should be made aware.

Last edited by Mykatie; 05-29-2017 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 Glacier Silver 328i
Quote:
Hello guys,

Does anyone have any info on where exactly this glass is made in? If you check FUYAO site it says they have manufacturing locations for automotive glass in Germany, Korea, Russia, China etc.
Is there any info out there whatsoever on the country of origin for this car glass?
The window glass in your car was made from recycled Mountain Dew glass bottles. The maker has a special recycling plant in Tennessee dedicated to removing the green tint and boiling out the aroma. That must make it American glass.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:49 AM

Actually, I think the OP wants German glass. I believe that in Germany they use a different process to remove the green tint!
Old 05-30-2017, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2019 RDX
OP, you could get a coupe instead. That doesn't have Fuyao glass. The GC and GT may also be similar to the coupe, but I haven't checked.

Last edited by mr_clueless; 05-30-2017 at 07:50 AM.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2017 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I don't know why it matters but my 2016 330e with HUD has Pilkington windshield, Duracam rear window and Fuyao side window glass. All is marked "BMW"
I see you're in Phoenix. My question for you is did you tint your glass? If not, is your AC able to keep up in the Phoenix heat?
Old 05-30-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMK5 View Post
I see you're in Phoenix. My question for you is did you tint your glass? If not, is your AC able to keep up in the Phoenix heat?
Yes...I tinted my windows with a 35/20 tint. I had a couple of problems with my AC (first the compressor failed and the day after I got it back the sensor that controls the AC failed and they had to order the part from Germany. Both covered under warranty and dealer provided me with a loaner.

Other than that I have had adequate AC even on the days when the temperature reached 100. If I have been out of the car for a while, and the car has been sitting in the sun, then I have to go to max AC for a while before dropping back to the regular, quieter settings. I haven't had to drive a full car (4 people) in the hottest day of summer but I suspect that I will still have adequate AC.

I have used the phone app to turn the AC on remotely during the summer when I am at the golf course (turn it on after the 17th green) and the car is nice and cool when I get to it.

There have been some strings here where folks complain about the complexity of the BMW AC system. I actually like it. I want the AC to be as quiet as possible and the ability, within the automatic function, to adjust the velocity of the fan lets me do that.

Steve

Last edited by SteveinArizona; 05-30-2017 at 10:43 AM. Reason: add information
Old 05-30-2017, 10:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2017 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Yes...I tinted my windows with a 35/20 tint. I had a couple of problems with my AC (first the compressor failed and the day after I got it back the sensor that controls the AC failed and they had to order the part from Germany. Both covered under warranty and dealer provided me with a loaner.

Other than that I have had adequate AC even on the days when the temperature reached 100. If I have been out of the car for a while, and the car has been sitting in the sun, then I have to go to max AC for a while before dropping back to the regular, quieter settings. I haven't had to drive a full car (4 people) in the hottest day of summer but I suspect that I will still have adequate AC.

I have used the phone app to turn the AC on remotely during the summer when I am at the golf course (turn it on after the 17th green) and the car is nice and cool when I get to it.

There have been some strings here where folks complain about the complexity of the BMW AC system. I actually like it. I want the AC to be as quiet as possible and the ability, within the automatic function, to adjust the velocity of the fan lets me do that.

Steve
I see. Did you also tint the windshield? I notice lots of heat coming through mine.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMK5 View Post
I see. Did you also tint the windshield? I notice lots of heat coming through mine.
No. I wondered about that but the dealership cautioned me against it because it will make it more difficult to see at night plus I have the HUD (which, incidentally, I absolutely love).
Old 05-31-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_clueless View Post
OP, you could get a coupe instead. That doesn't have Fuyao glass. The GC and GT may also be similar to the coupe, but I haven't checked.
You sure about that?
Old 05-31-2017, 06:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2019 RDX
Quote:
You sure about that?
100% sure coupe doesn't use Fuyao glass. I think the side glass is by AGC automotive.

I was strongly considering a coupe when I got my second F30 purely for that reason, but gave up on it because I would have had to get a moonroof.

I also asked BMW Genius if there is any difference in the UV/IR filtering of the glass used in the coupe vs sedan and they said no, so that lessened my inclination to go with the coupe.

Last edited by mr_clueless; 05-31-2017 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:57 PM
Novice driver

Mein Auto: 2014 320i ZSP ZMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_clueless View Post
100% sure coupe doesn't use Fuyao glass. I think the side glass is by AGC automotive.
Correct. AGC Automotive (aka Asahi Glass) supplies glazing products for side windows on F32, F33, and F36. Glass for these BMW automobiles are sourced from AGC's plants in China and Europe.

Last edited by gkr778; 05-31-2017 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:04 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i
oh my, now we are freaking out over Fuyao glasses? They even have a plant in Ohio now. They are fine.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 Glacier Silver 328i
Oh dear oh dear...this thread makes me wonder where my tires are really made. Do you suppose Michelin tires come from some place other than France? And are Pirelli skins no longer Italian?

Last edited by John MS; 06-01-2017 at 06:20 AM.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Quote:
Originally Posted by John MS View Post
Oh dear oh dear...this thread makes me wonder where my tires are really made. Do you suppose Michelin tires come from some place other than France? And are Pirelli skins no longer Italian?
France is such a hard place to manufacture things that even Michelin is getting out. I've bought eight Michelin PSS's in the last four years. Six of eight were actually made in the USA. My E46 M3 had staggered tires. The front tires were made in France; the rear ones were made here.

Years ago, 1998, I bought some Michelin MXX's made in Italy.

Strangely, the Continental DWS06's I bought for Frau Putzer's Honda Accord were made in France. I told her that her Valentine's day present was coming from France. I slept on the couch after she received her present.

My Cobalt came with OEM Pirelli's made in Brazil. I'm on my second set of Continental DW's on the car, all made in Brazil. The larger size DW's are made in Europe. I guess there's more price competition for the smaller size DW's, so they produce them in low-cost Brazil.

I've bought two mini-spares recently, one made in Turkey and one made in Taiwan.

My next beater, a Chevy City Express cargo mini-van made in Mexico by Nissan, comes with Continental tires made in Romania. Conti' and Nexen (made in S. Korea) are the only companies that make tires in that size and load rating.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search