FUYAO glass and its origin? - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328xi GT
I think the OP my not of wanted Chinese glass as it might "tint" his view of things. Kind of like looking at the world thru Rose colored glasses.
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2017, 02:38 PM

Mein Auto: 330i, 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatsquirrel View Post
Hello guys,

I am in the process of buying an used F30 and this whole FUYAO glass thing is eating me inside out.

Does anyone have any info on where exactly this glass is made in? If you check FUYAO site it says they have manufacturing locations for automotive glass in Germany, Korea, Russia, China etc.

Is there any info out there whatsoever on the country of origin for this car glass?

I noticed this in the 2017 330 loaner I had. Sounds Chinese to me

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 11-04-2017, 08:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 e90 335xi
There was a piece about the founder of Fuyao a couple of years back, including his desire to create a world class glass supplier. Pretty inspirational

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2017, 09:11 PM

Mein Auto: 19 330i
One way you can tell the difference between a Swedish made Volvo S60 to a Chinese made Volvo S60 is by the FUYAO glass on the Chinese made ones. The next gen S60 will be made in Charleston South Carolina
Old 11-05-2017, 11:50 AM
Novice driver

Mein Auto: 2014 320i ZSP ZMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by adityab View Post
There was a piece about the founder of Fuyao a couple of years back, including his desire to create a world class glass supplier. Pretty inspirational
Fuyao is indeed a world class glass producer, ranking as one of the largest and best suppliers of automotive glass globally.

Here's a 2014 profile of Fuyao Glass Industry Group Co., Ltd. founder and CEO Cao Dewang: https://www.ft.com/content/3eafb732-...0-00144feabdc0

Old 11-05-2017, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 320i/F30
The F30 with Fuyao glass has one the industry's worse ultraviolet light protection according to an article published in the UK. UV light can accelerate cataracts and promote skin cancer. Fuyao just doesn't care. They just want to be the low bid. Sorry, Fuyao.

They are world class (see post immediately above)...world class skin cancer.
Step by step instructions when a hood release cable needs replacement. https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=981724
SIB 11 13 15 oil filter housing for the F30 - metal since mid-2013 and can be retrofitted without charge
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=951692
Old 11-05-2017, 01:06 PM
2020 Z4 M40i

Mein Auto: 2020 Z4 M40i
Its factory installed glass so cares where it made?

CURRENT:
2020 Z4 M40i
2019 Chevy Suburban 4X4 RST 420BHP
2013 BMW 135is JB4 convt 6MT
2009 Yamaha V-Star
1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash 5MT
1965 COBRA 550BHP FORD Racing COYOTE TKO-600
FFR Cobra Mk-IV COYOTE 5MT Build Thread
480 WHP of BURBBLES
I LOVE THE SMELL OF BURNT 100 IN THE MORNING
Old 11-05-2017, 04:42 PM
Novice driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 20T View Post
The F30 with Fuyao glass has one the industry's worse ultraviolet light protection according to an article published in the UK. UV light can accelerate cataracts and promote skin cancer. Fuyao just doesn't care. They just want to be the low bid. Sorry, Fuyao.

I take it you're referencing the study conducted by Boxler Wachler in 2016 and published in the journal JAMA Ophthalmology Volume 134, Number 7. This is the only one I'm aware of that included F30 cars for measurements of UV-A energy attenuation through windshields and side glass among various automobile models.

The gist of the Boxler Wachler study is that there is a much wider range of UV-A energy attenuation through side glass of various cars and light trucks compared to UV-A energy attenuation through windshields: All 29 cars tested had windshields blocking 95% or greater of UV-A energy transmission, whereas only four had 90% or greater blockage of UV-A energy from the side windows. Those four (three Lexus RX models and a Mercedes-Benz W221) all used laminated side glass. The other models tested including the two F30s used tempered side glass. I don't know if any of the cars tested by Boxler Wachler had non-OE replacement glass, as those details are not provided.

Nothing in this study substantiates your assertion that "Fuyao just doesn't care", which is wrong. First, just like other major OE automotive glass suppliers, Fuyao designs, engineers, and manufactures laminated automotive side glass. BMW simply chose not to specify laminated side glass as OE on U.S. market F3x cars. That's not Fuyao's or any other glass supplier company's decision. Second, the 29 cars evaluated in the Boxler Wachler study had a number of OE side glass suppliers, including Fuyao, Asahi (AGC), Pilkington (NSG), Saint Gobain Sekurit, Central Glass (Carlex), and others. The sample of n=29 isn't sufficient to conclude that one particular glass supplier is significantly better or worse than others when in comes to UV-A attenuation in side glass. In any case, the specifications for the original equipment glass (windshield, side glass, rear window, sunroof, etc.) used on particular car models come from the automobile OEMs themselves. Any of the aforementioned major glass suppliers have the capability to build components to those specs.

Finally, the study itself mentions that a cause and effect relationship has not been established between reduced UV-A protection in automobile side windows and increased incidence of skin cancer and cataracts, stating "the clinical relevance of these differences remains unknown at this time".

I've attached the Boxler Wachler study to this post if anyone's interested.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf eoi160031.pdf (204.5 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by gkr778; 11-06-2017 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2017 VW GTI Sport MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 20T View Post

Look at the post 2 below his post for an accurate take on that study.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528i
Jesus Christ people it's just glass. Get it tinted with BMWs anti-glare/UV glaze (if that's still a thing) or have it done somewhere else if you're so concerned about skin cancer. But if that's the case then why even bother going outside at all right?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 11-06-2017, 09:04 AM

Mein Auto: bimmer
My old E39 has pretty good heat rejection, that's not the case for F30. Does old bimmer have laminated glass? If so, why does new bimmer not have laminated glass?
Old 11-06-2017, 09:07 AM

My E39 has horrible heat rejection and it's got BMWs laminated glass. Every time I step into it I feel like I'm stepping into a solar oven

Old 11-06-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxflyingpigxx View Post
My E39 has horrible heat rejection and it's got BMWs laminated glass. Every time I step into it I feel like I'm stepping into a solar oven

So the side windows on your E39 have laminated glass or not? Mine was MY01, was there any LCI change?
Old 11-06-2017, 09:29 AM

Mine is a M.Y 1998. I can tell They're laminated or something because when I wear polarized sunglasses I can see what looks like waves in the glass when it's just the glasses and the lamination

Old 11-06-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Mine is a M.Y 1998. I can tell They're laminated or something because when I wear polarized sunglasses I can see what looks like waves in the glass when it's just the glasses and the lamination

The waves seen through polarized lens are stress fracture patterns of tempered glass.

Laminated glass on side windows can be identified by looking at the edge of window glass, laminated glass has multiple layers, non-laminated is single layer/sheet.

So are yours multiple layers?
Old 11-06-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
The waves seen through polarized lens are stress fracture patterns of tempered glass.

Laminated glass on side windows can be identified by looking at the edge of window glass, laminated glass has multiple layers, non-laminated is single layer/sheet.

So are yours multiple layers?
Idk all I know is that there's colored waves, like there was on my old car that had some nice dark, polarized tint which translates to some sort of tint/lamination

Old 11-06-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Idk all I know is that there's colored waves, like there was on my old car that had some nice dark, polarized tint which translates to some sort of tint/lamination

Most cars these days do not have laminated side glass, the ones personally seen with laminated side are Lexus ES300, Cad ATS, and one of the Maserati.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: can you guess?
One problem is that companies from the People's Republic of China have a bad reputation and lack of ethics. Poison in baby formula in order to fool tests to show more protein contents, poison in toothpaste, etc. This is not racist because Chinese in Singapore and Taiwan Republic of China have good reputations.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:06 AM
Novice driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercedes Benz View Post
One problem is that companies from the People's Republic of China have a bad reputation and lack of ethics. Poison in baby formula in order to fool tests to show more protein contents, poison in toothpaste, etc. This is not racist because Chinese in Singapore and Taiwan Republic of China have good reputations.
Dave 20T mentioned something very similar in this thread from 2013 that also discussed Fuyao Group as a supplier to BMW generally and F30 cars specifically. Bimmerfest member Dr. 328xi's response (post #87 in that thread) is worth repeating here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. 328xi
So...uhh...no evidence about the inferiority of Fuyao, then? Just repeated generalizations about countries and a reminder of their formal names. Got it.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2017 VW GTI Sport MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercedes Benz View Post
There are companies worldwide that suffer from lack of ethics and quality issues. Itís foolish to paint all Chinese companies this way. Frankly itís lazy.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: E60
I can confirm my Ď17 F32 has side and rear glass from St Gobain and a Pilkington windscreen. Car was built in Munich.

Whatever!

You might want to know that some FX cars are build in South Africa ... Iím not saying thatís good or bad, just a fact. May influence some parts supplies, IDK.

I wouldnít love mine any less if it had been made somewhere else. Great car.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 11-06-2017, 04:04 PM

The brand name and country of origin should be secondary provided the OEM specs are met.

My question is why OEM side glass spec does not have laminated glass with improved UV-A blocking?

Since other models/makes have it, laminated side window is OK per DOT.

So is non-laminated side glass for, say, easy exit, or for cost cutting(across many brands)?
Old 11-06-2017, 04:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2019 RDX
My guess would be cost cutting.

There's some discussion on the B9 Audi about some cars having laminated glass for sound deadening in Europe but not in the US.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_clueless View Post
My guess would be cost cutting.

There's some discussion on the B9 Audi about some cars having laminated glass for sound deadening in Europe but not in the US.
Actually online search returned FMVSS 226 which says laminated side windows needs to be 100% phased in starting Sept 2017, for "Ejection Mitigation".

This is meant to work in conjunction with increased sizes of side curtains for vehicle safety.

Maybe it is time to get a MY18!

Last edited by namelessman; 11-06-2017 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2019 RDX
^ may be worth a trip to he dealer to see if there is really any difference.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search