FUYAO glass and its origin? - Page 3 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 11-06-2017, 04:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_clueless View Post
^ may be worth a trip to he dealer to see if there is really any difference.
Yes, I am heading to dealer down the street right now.

G20 will be a good candidate, with both mandatory rear view camera plus laminated side windows!

In the meantime, should tint be added? ..... Maybe just need to tough it out one more summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2017, 05:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2019 RDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
Yes, I am heading to dealer down the street right now.

G20 will be a good candidate, with both mandatory rear view camera plus laminated side windows!

In the meantime, should tint be added? ..... Maybe just need to tough it out one more summer.
I was certain I was going to add a tint to my car this summer, but I did not. Given my OCD, the more I researched various tints and tint shops, the more I decided it just wasn't worth the risk/hassle of a job gone wrong (actually average person would probably think it was fine, but anything less than perfect and I'd be unhappy).

I'm no expert, but it seems like laminating the side windows for side impact would be different from laminating it for heat, sound deadening, or IR. So G20 may not fix the heat/UV issue.

Regarding getting a 2018 -- I've become very anti-moonroof after owning my current car and it does not look like the F30 can be optioned the way I would want (M-sport) without a moonroof.

Last edited by mr_clueless; 11-06-2017 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
I was certain I was going to add a tint to my car this summer, but I did not. Given my OCD, the more I researched various tints and tint shops, the more I decided it just wasn't worth the risk/hassle of a job gone wrong (actually average person would probably think it was fine, but anything less than perfect and I'd be unhappy).

I'm no expert, but it seems like laminating the side windows for side impact would be different from laminating it for heat, sound deadening, or IR. So G20 may not fix the heat/UV issue.

Regarding getting a 2018 -- I've become very anti-moonroof after owning my current car and it does not look like the F30 can be optioned the way I would want (M-sport) without a moonroof.
Laminated glass may or may not help with heat rejection, but the laminated layer is made of PVB/UVA, which absorbs UV-A, as well as provide noise isolation.

What's issue with moonroof?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Laminated glass may or may not help with heat rejection, but the laminated layer is made of PVB/UVA, which absorbs UV-A, as well as provide noise isolation.

What's issue with moonroof?
Just never use it, so I like the extra headroom and it's good that it also gets rid of some weight. I also don't like BMW's implementation of it with the grating that lets a little light through even when it's closed.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Just never use it, so I like the extra headroom and it's good that it also gets rid of some weight. I also don't like BMW's implementation of it with the grating that lets a little light through even when it's closed.
MB C-class seems to have same gratings? Previous forum posts said those are for heat dissipation to prevent exploding moonroof.

My moonroof probably is used mainly to cool down during hot summer days. And moonroof is integral to the look of any car these days, moonroof-less seems to be a bit odd.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
MB C-class seems to have same gratings? Previous forum posts said those are for heat dissipation to prevent exploding moonroof.

My moonroof probably is used mainly to cool down during hot summer days. And moonroof is integral to the look of any car these days, moonroof-less seems to be a bit odd.
Thanks for reminding me about the exploding problem!

I too used to think it was odd to not have one--my last 3 cars had it.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
On the G30, there is no grating in the moonroof visor.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:26 PM

Mein Auto: 13 328i sport line
Fuyao didnt work.

My Original windshield cracked by rock on highway. Called insurance, they are partners with safelite. They come out and replace my windshield. I didnt care that it was aftermarket as glass is glass, but i was wrong. Glass had strange double vision at nights looking at lights. Safelite came back out and replaced again, same result, they then opted for OE glass. No problems since they installed a bmw branded pilkington. Probably the reason why my side windows are bmw fuyao and windshield is not.

Last edited by flyguy27; 12-11-2017 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 Glacier Silver 328i
I don't understand your last statement worded as a question.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:40 PM

Old 12-11-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy27 View Post
My Original windshield cracked by rock on highway. Called insurance, they are partners with safelite. They come out and replace my windshield. I didnt care that it was aftermarket as glass is glass, but i was wrong. Glass had strange double vision at nights looking at lights. Safelite came back out and replaced again, same result, they then opted for OE glass. No problems since they installed a bmw branded pilkington. Probably the reason why my side windows are bmw fuyao and windshield is not.
I have seen Fuyao windshields on the Jaguar XE. And sure enough I found this while googling.
http://www.autoglasswarehouse.com.au...t_2/154874.jpg
Old 12-11-2017, 09:27 PM

[QUOTE=mr_clueless;11748577]I have seen Fuyao windshields on the Jaguar XE. And sure enough I found this while googling.
http://www.autoglasswarehouse.com.au...t_2/154874.jpg[/QUOTE

Good find. I am not against them. I just wanted to share my experience. I think i will request OE glass from now on to avoid the rework i went through.
Old 04-03-2020, 04:02 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 530e
Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post
oh my, now we are freaking out over Fuyao glasses? They even have a plant in Ohio now. They are fine.
Actually, the Ohio plant has had quality problems.

I just had my windshield replaced because of a long crack with Fuyao solar tint acoustic HUD glass. The glass was made in China, not Ohio.

I haven't driven it yet; I will tomorrow and see if everything looks okay. I especially want to make sure that the HUD is clear and the front cameras are working correctly.

Living in hot Arizona, the solar tint will likely be a positive item.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post

I just had my windshield replaced because of a long crack with Fuyao solar tint acoustic HUD glass. The glass was made in China, not Ohio.

I haven't driven it yet; I will tomorrow and see if everything looks okay. I especially want to make sure that the HUD is clear and the front cameras are working correctly.

Is your Fuyao glass with BMW logo?

There was a huge difference for my F30 passenger side glass between Fuyao and Fuyao + BMW logo.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2017 VW GTI Sport MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post

Can I ask why you randomly bumped a nearly 3 year old thread?
Old 04-04-2020, 07:49 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 530e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Can I ask why you randomly bumped a nearly 3 year old thread?
stupidity. Go ahead and close it. I just redid my windshield and didn't notice that it was that old.
Old 06-25-2020, 04:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2020 BMW X7 M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 20T View Post
F30 side glass is from Fuyao, Changchun, Jilin, People's Republic of China. That company has a Dayton, Ohio factory making glass for US companies, VW, and Toyota.

Pickington windshield from England, rear glass from Turkey.
Sent you a DM
Old 06-25-2020, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 320i/F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by exokiss View Post
Sent you a DM
Sorry, I cannot give you James Bond 007's mobile number.

I cannot confirm nor deny that my BMW has a rocket assist boost behind the hinged rear license plate.
Step by step instructions when a hood release cable needs replacement. https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=981724
SIB 11 13 15 oil filter housing for the F30 - metal since mid-2013 and can be retrofitted without charge
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=951692

Last edited by Dave 20T; 06-25-2020 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 440i GC
There is a program on Netflix called the American Company. It is about Fuyao opening a factory in an old GM plant in Dayton. Interesting watch and some insight into Fuyao.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2020 BMW X7 M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Evil View Post
There is a program on Netflix called the American Company. It is about Fuyao opening a factory in an old GM plant in Dayton. Interesting watch and some insight into Fuyao.
You meant "American Factory"?
Old 07-07-2020, 09:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 440i GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by exokiss View Post
You meant "American Factory"?
Yes I did

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search