Center Console USB - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)
The 5th generation F01/F02 BMW 7 Series flagship forum. The redesigned 7 series leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code, offering an 8 speed automatic transmission and all turbocharged engine options.

Old 06-10-2019, 04:49 PM

Mein Auto: F02 750Li X-drive
Center Console USB

Hello,

I am looking for some expert help with my 2011 F02. The USB port in the center console (armrest) has stopped working and does not provide any power. I have tried to plug in different USB devices such as flash drives, MP3 player, cell phone ect. there is no power to the port (Aux works fine). The USB in the glove compartment works fine but I understand that plugs directly into the CIC so not really the same circuit. So doing some research and I found that the USB in the armrest goes to the USB hub which then goes to the MULF / Combox (I retro-fitted to a Combox 2) and the USB hub does have a power source of its own. Annoyingly the fuse card I have is written in hieroglyphics not sure why they couldn't just write it out in plain English....? So I am having a heck of a time chasing down the fuse to see if that is even the issue. I obtained a pdf copy of the F 7 series MX manual and tried my best to go through the 5k pages of it. The information is a bit conflicting in that figure 19 seems to imply that the USB hub fuse is in the trunk fuse box but figure 54 seems to imply that the fuse is in the glove box (just included the pics not the text). Also the MX manual does not give a fuse number with either diagram... Realizing there was no clear cut answer on my legend car I started going through the rear fuse box and looked at all the fuses 10 amps or more and none were blown I am wondering is the USB hub a lower amp fuse since from what I am reading the ports themselves only provide .5amps. Also does anyone know which fuses I should be looking at? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190610_063528.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	854515   Click image for larger version

Name:	USB Diagram.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	854517   Click image for larger version

Name:	USB Diagram2.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	854519  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2019, 08:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 750i and 2015 740i
What's the build date of your car? I remember there used to be two USB ports, one in the center console and one in the glove box, and the one in the center console was for charging only. Not sure what the cutoff month was or which setup your car has.

This diagram for 2010/09 - 2011/02 seems to indicate that the USB hub connects to fuse 117. Search the site for USB and you can find other diagrams for different build dates and options.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ction/F7bKknsO
Old 06-11-2019, 03:21 AM

Hi Robin750,

Thanks for the response. So my build date is 2010/03 and was originally built as a MULF2/TCU 6FL setup with the phone cradle. The car has been converted to Combox Gen 2 and I have left the cradle in and run the TCU eject signal to a ground to leave it on all the time when doing the Combox conversion. My car does have two USB ports one in the glove box which is for "data transfer" ie software and GPS updates. While to my understanding and per the owner's manual the center console / armrest is for USB audio. I will check fuse 117 when I get home from work tonight and see if that is the issue. Hoping its not a dead USB hub or cable issue where I will probably want to get a mech involved... Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Owners Manual.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	854583   Click image for larger version

Name:	Owners Manual2.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	854585   Click image for larger version

Name:	Owners Manual3.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	854587  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2019, 04:20 PM

So I found Fuse 117 and it was intact... So thinking a blown fuse is not the issue... Doing some further research I found this link https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=482044
which stated the following:

"6FL = iPod/USB interface, CCC or CIC.

6NF = Smartphone Integration, or 6FL plus a center console cradle requiring a phone-specific adapter that allows for iPod/USB functionality from the cradle, CCC or CIC. Note that the center console cradle is available without iPod/USB functionality as a dealer installed option."

When I do a VIN report from Mdecoder it shows my car as being 6FL and having S639A but not 6NF but based on what was just stated above I am wondering if that report may be slightly inaccurate in that my car does have a factor phone cradle in it..

When I look through the available diagrams this one seems to be by far the closest to how my car came out of the factory having both the phone cradle and usb/aux port in the armrest:

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ction/B4pL1zUW

Which is described as "Applies to: ulf2_hi P6NF (Music interface for smartphones) 2009/09+"

Where the "Applies to: ulf2_hi P6FL (USB audio interface) NOT P6NF (Music interface for smartphones) 2009/09+" does not reflect a cradle at all:

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ction/B4sMacq3

So now I am wondering... When I did the combox install it stated that the two USB ports on the Combox itself 1 (black) and 2 (blue) were for different setups (Per the Combox TIS) where 6FL should use 1 Black and 6NF should use 2 Blue I am now wondering I should switch my USB cable that originally ran to the MULF from 1 Black (where I currently have it plugged in) to 2 Blue and see if that makes any difference?

Last edited by jetpilot1980; 06-11-2019 at 04:23 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search