Alpina question - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)
The 5th generation F01/F02 BMW 7 Series flagship forum. The redesigned 7 series leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code, offering an 8 speed automatic transmission and all turbocharged engine options.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 328d Xdrive M
Alpina question

I know that this is a somewhat loaded question. But I've been bit before, and stuck in money pits... so I want to get a total good/bad response.

I've wanted a B7 for years and years. Financial status pretty much kept me from having it in reach. Now that is changing. But having researched some here and there, I know enough to know that I don't want anything older than a 2014. But it seems that I read all kinds of negativity lately. I'm currently driving a 328d wagon, and I have small problems with it, most likely related to the things I've done to it. It's almost paid off and I've resolved that I just want to bite the bullet and get a used B7.

So I ask all of you that are either owners, or extremely knowledgeable in the series...
I drive my cars...I commute 67 miles one way, 4 days a week. So it will get mileage. I'm ok with that. But I've read things like oil consumption and engine issues.... If you had to buy yours over again, and drive like I do, would you do it? Or would you smile and back away slowly? I don't want to buy a $60K car that leaves me walking or worse.

I appreciate any solid advice to be given in advance.
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2019, 01:52 PM
6 RINGS

Mein Auto: CTS-V,540,Subaru Forester
I think if you search this forum youíll find a lot of data.

If I were you Iíd look for a 14 or 15 cpo with service records that includes all the campaigns being complete. Or find a clean one and get an extended warranty. Stuff will go wrong eventually so hopefully this isnít your only car.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 06-10-2019, 07:36 PM

Mein Auto: Alpina B7
I have a 2011 with many miles on it. It does consume an above average amount of oil (but that doesn't bother me) and has been almost completely trouble free for the duration of my ownership. I don't beat on it and drive it almost every day. It has it's quirks, but has been a phenomenal car and feels solid!
Past: '14 Audi R8 V10 | '12 Lamborghini Gallardo LP570-4 Spyder Performante | '11 Rolls-Royce Ghost Mansory | '10 Audi R8 V10 | '10 Porsche 911 Turbo Vorsteiner | '09 Audi R8 V8 | '09 Nissan GTR | '09 Mercedes-Benz CL63 AMG | '08 Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2019, 09:04 PM
whughes

Mein Auto: 2009 750li, 2018 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSIIICK View Post
I have a 2011 with many miles on it. It does consume an above average amount of oil (but that doesn't bother me) and has been almost completely trouble free for the duration of my ownership. I don't beat on it and drive it almost every day. It has it's quirks, but has been a phenomenal car and feels solid!

I have a 2009 with 190k. My first engine never used much oil, but I was a rarity. I blew an oil line and destroyed that engine. My new engine has 15k on it and has not used any oil in between 5 k oil changes.
I think if you found a pre 2013 that has a new engine that would be a suite deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

2009 750Li - Space Grau Metallic, Camera pkg, Conv pkg, Driver Asst pkg, Lux Seat pkg, Lux rear seat pkg, Prem sound pkg, Sport pkg, HUD, Massaging rear seats, Smartphone integration, Sat radio, MTEC H8 4750K Halo lights,
Dinan Stage 1 SW, Air intake, Free Flow Exhaust, Camber Arm
Old 06-11-2019, 08:34 AM
former motorcycle rider

Mein Auto: F87 & F01
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhughes420384 View Post
I have a 2009 with 190k.
If I'm not mistaken, by your sig it's a 750il, not a B7. OP was asking about B7.

Here's what I found in my research before buying my F01:

- The Alpina has different engine internals and does not have the typical N63 issues
- The B7 is awesome
- Depreciation is horrendous, but they're still stupid expensive
- Parts are expensive

I decided that for me, a newer 750i with CPO was a better purchase than an older B7 with no warranty. I did drive a B7 and I loved it, but the potential for serious repair costs scared me off.

A lot of people have a lot of horror stories about 7 series. And 5 series. And 6. And... well, you get my point. It's kind of hit & miss with BMW. You can get a good one, have very few to no problems with it, and it's like owning a Toyota. Or you can get a not-quite-so-good one, and spend a lot of time and money in the shop fixing all kinds of stupid little crap that should never go bad in a $100K car.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:14 PM

Mein Auto: E38740SportE36M3F02B7L
I own a 2013 Alpina B7. So far I've put about 12k miles on it. I've had a few issues: 1. Had to replace a fuel injector 2. Had to replace a high pressure fuel pump. 3. Cracked / deteriorated intake boot (common issue) 4. Just in the last week had a drivetrain malfunction, but it hasn't reappeared...

I knew the potential for issues before I purchased mine and I still pulled the trigger. In my opinion it's a hard package to beat. Especially in Alpina Blue... rarity/exclusivity, power, look, feel, comfort, etc.

In my opinion, once you're pushing over 500HP... something is going to break or wear faster than a vehicle with half its power output.

I do have a little oil consumption as well...

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search