1st Bimma - 2016 320i - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 02-21-2020, 07:11 PM

Mein Auto:
1st Bimma - 2016 320i

Hey, folks.

Just picked up this girl a week ago. She's a 2016 with almost 90K mi.

Now I've heard it many times not to own these out of warranty. Huge gaps in her carfax history and all.... but I was infatuated by her beauty. I guess this is how us guys get into trouble.

Anyway, she looks to have been well maintained at least. Hope she'll be good to me.

Glad to be here so I can soak up some knowledge. I know my way around vehicles for the most part, but this is my first BMW and under this hood looks damn strange.

..Drew...

Last edited by bimmaz; 02-21-2020 at 07:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2020, 08:20 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Congrats! Alpine White always looks great.

Present - '06 E90 330i sport; Past - '04 E46 ZHP, '00 E46 328i
www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!
Old 02-22-2020, 04:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 530i e60 5 serie
2016 with 90k Miles, donít expect much to break on it. Car was driven highway so this car broken in PROPERLY. Did you PPI before taking service? I tell people all the time. This biggest thing that will these cars is age, maintenance and neglect, miles if city driven. Highway driven miles is nothing to these cars. My 2013 328i xDrive F30 is approaching 130k, Iím a very happy person.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2020, 08:18 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyMcMahon666 View Post
Did you PPI before taking service? I tell people all the time.
Thanks for the replies. No, I did an API, lol. I knew better too, but It seemed in such good shape.... It spent most of it's life in South Georgia. I got it from a used car dealer and negotiated a 6 month drive-train warranty. Also got him to write in a 48 hour return with no questions asked, so I could look it over real good.

So far the only issue I've come across is that the oil/coolant temp gauge is really low, sometimes it hasn't budged after 15 minutes of driving, then it may rise if I get on the highway. The highest I've seen it get is around 210*. There no codes about running cold, etc and the car blows good heat, so I'm assuming it's the oil temp sensor and not the thermostat sticking open. What is normal temp on the gauge anway? This is the 4 cyl N20 engine.

Last edited by bimmaz; 02-22-2020 at 08:30 AM.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 Glacier Silver 328i
Huge gaps in Carfax history? The oil temp gauge is much slower to respond than a coolant gauge would be. Still it should reach the first hash mark after driving in town for 20 min or so. Yours sounds normal.

Ignore the urban legend about out of warranty ownership. A BMW is as reliable as any of it's competition if maintenance is kept up and problems fixed.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:08 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John MS View Post
Huge gaps in Carfax history? The oil temp gauge is much slower to respond than a coolant gauge would be. Still it should reach the first hash mark after driving in town for 20 min or so. Yours sounds normal.

Ignore the urban legend about out of warranty ownership. A BMW is as reliable as any of it's competition if maintenance is kept up and problems fixed.
Yeah, Carfax showed pretty much nothing after like 50K. Prior to that it was going to a dealer, so I assume the last owner was the DIY type or the "not paying dealer prices type", for maintenance.

See temp gauge. This can't be normal.... I'm on the highway already.

This is the highest it gets. This was about 15 min after the first pic, getting off the highway.

Oh and the timing chain.. am I good here? Hopefully the guide situation was sorted out by then.

Last edited by bimmaz; 02-22-2020 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:17 AM
You Don't Need to Know

Mein Auto: '14 328xi Sport Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmaz View Post

This is the highest it gets. This was about 15 min after the first pic, getting off the highway.

That's OIL temp, not coolant temp.

2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Sport Automatic Transmission
Old 02-22-2020, 10:25 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
That's OIL temp, not coolant temp.
Yeah, I did say oil/coolant with the thought that the two are closely related through heat transfer. But yeah, I do realize it's the oil temp. Should the gauge be that low after 15-20 min of driving? Outside temp was around freezing at the time. I'm in Atlanta.

Last edited by bimmaz; 02-22-2020 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:36 AM

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Mini, 1 Vespa
That is oil temp and it takes quite a while to get up there. Itís calibrated differently than a coolant temp. Nothing abnormal.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest
2013 Cooper S
2007 650i - 6 speed
2002 330ci convertible - 5 speed

Past:
2012 X5 Diesel
2012 Countryman S All4 - 6 speed
2006 Cooper S - 6 speed
2006 330i - 6 speed
1997 328is - 5 speed
1991 318is - 5 speed
1988 635csi - 5 speed
1988 325i convertible - 5 speed
1969 2002 with tii and 5 speed conversions
Old 02-22-2020, 11:14 AM
Drink the koolaid or else

Mein Auto: 2017 Volvo XC60 T5
What the hell is a Bimma?
2015 X1 sDrive XLine - "Hamilton Maxwell"
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle
Old 02-22-2020, 11:20 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoinSF View Post
That is oil temp and it takes quite a while to get up there. Itís calibrated differently than a coolant temp. Nothing abnormal.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest
Okay, so what is "up there?" What is "normal" temp on the gauge for you guys? Keep in mind, I'm totally unfamiliar here.
Old 02-22-2020, 11:23 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjboyd View Post
What the hell is a Bimma?
LOL... its an island thing.

Last edited by bimmaz; 02-22-2020 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-22-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Okay, so what is "up there?" What is "normal" temp on the gauge for you guys? Keep in mind, I'm totally unfamiliar here.
Most of the time that is where it should be. Driving hard or in high temps with ac on will get it closer to 250.

Because it is measuring oil temp it won't heat as quickly as coolant. Because coolant is there to extract excess heat it surrounds the top and sides of the combustion chamber. And heats faster. Oil is there mostly to provide lubrication.

Last edited by John MS; 02-22-2020 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-22-2020, 05:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 320xi
Quote:
Hey, folks.

Now I've heard it many times not to own these out of warranty. Huge gaps in her carfax history and all.... but I was infatuated by her beauty. I guess this is how us guys get into trouble.

Anyway, she looks to have been well maintained at least. Hope she'll be good to me.

Glad to be here so I can soak up some knowledge. I know my way around vehicles for the most part, but this is my first BMW and under this hood looks damn strange.

..Drew...
Nooo, i am :nono this Halogen lights, haha. I have the same light setup, gawd they are hard to see in the nights, but hey if you want to replace the stock halogen DRL's get the LED type from HighPerformanceBulbs.com...I bought them and easy to replace, mine are the 3600k LED Ambers, i will try to get some pics up of them. And you should not drive in Eco mode, lurk the forum here or Google why it can lead to TC wear issues and the (ASS) Auto-Stop-Start feature as well turn that off...I never drive in Eco or ASS mode every now, no issues so far, but i have only 43K miles on my car currently.

Last edited by DadzBmerN20; 02-22-2020 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-22-2020, 06:47 PM

Mein Auto: 320i
we have the same car! my wife actually likes it because the seats are comfy. i'm a tall guy (6'1) and i have to put the seat wayyy back to feel comfy. what i like about it is that it's very responsive on the road, and i like when you pick sport mode the steeling wheel tights up and more power is thrown to the front (i assume). What i didn't realize until buying a BMW is that they consume oil like crazy. mine was asking for a quart in between oil changes. I took mine in for brake pad work (sensor was yelling at me to replace them) but the place that i bought the car from, or whomever did the previous maintenance work, didn't reset the sensor. The pad looked brand new. The shop said that it's a strong possibility that whomever did the work before didn't have the right software to reset the sensor. Also, they said that BMW doesn't resurface brakes. They just change them out (i thought that was weird).
Old 02-22-2020, 06:52 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John MS View Post
Most of the time that is where it should be. Driving hard or in high temps with ac on will get it closer to 250.

Because it is measuring oil temp it won't heat as quickly as coolant. Because coolant is there to extract excess heat it surrounds the top and sides of the combustion chamber. And heats faster. Oil is there mostly to provide lubrication.
Thanks for the info. It's taking a while to wrap my mind around it, but it's seeping in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadzBmerN20 View Post
Nooo, i am :nono this Halogen lights, haha. I have the same light setup, gawd they are hard to see in the nights, but hey if you want to replace the stock halogen DRL's get the LED type from HighPerformanceBulbs.com...I bought them and easy to replace, mine are the 3600k LED Ambers, i will try to get some pics up of them. And you should not drive in Eco mode, lurk the forum here or Google why it can lead to TC wear issues and the (ASS) Auto-Stop-Start feature as well turn that off...I never drive in Eco or ASS mode every now, no issues so far, but i have only 43K miles on my car currently.
Thanks. Would you mind posting a link to the bulbs? I def want to get rid of the halogens. Haven't run across the eco mode issues you mentioned and I even tried searching. I do a lot of stop n go driving here in ATL and I do mean a LOT.
Old 02-22-2020, 06:52 PM

Hated ASS and promptly turned it off
Old 02-22-2020, 06:57 PM

could i get halogen's from pelican parts? or are those just replacement bulbs for the stock bulbs? i too find it hard to see at night. i'd love to be able to have bright ass halos
Old 02-23-2020, 05:11 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xerocool View Post
What i didn't realize until buying a BMW is that they consume oil like crazy. mine was asking for a quart in between oil changes.
I've heard that too. Is that still the case for the N20? What is your oil change interval? If 10K miles, a quart consumed aint bad.

I have a real problem with there being no dipstick. I check my oil often and actually find it quicker and more convenient to quickly pull a dipstick, than to run that whole procedure. Furthermore, I like being able to actually SEE the color of the oil on the stick and smell it too. There are things that happen to oil that you need to see, such as when it turns milky if there is coolant leaking into it.

Quote:
I took mine in for brake pad work (sensor was yelling at me to replace them) but the place that i bought the car from, or whomever did the previous maintenance work, didn't reset the sensor. The pad looked brand new. The shop said that it's a strong possibility that whomever did the work before didn't have the right software to reset the sensor. Also, they said that BMW doesn't resurface brakes. They just change them out (i thought that was weird).
Well, these days I don't think too many folks still surface brake rotors, I don't even on my older cars. For one, brake rotors can be had for cheaper these days, so resurfacing is not a good value. Secondly, when you remove surface material, you end up with a thinner rotor that heats up and warps even faster.

I didn't know about the brake sensor reset thing. Found some instructions here....nothing special needed...

https://www.youcanic.com/wiki/bmw-br...t-instructions

Last edited by bimmaz; 02-23-2020 at 11:03 AM.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. It's taking a while to wrap my mind around it, but it's seeping in.

Thanks. Would you mind posting a link to the bulbs? I def want to get rid of the halogens. Haven't run across the eco mode issues you mentioned and I even tried searching. I do a lot of stop n go driving here in ATL and I do mean a LOT.
Here is the link to the bulbs, make sure you reach out to Steve at HPB in the contact us and specifically ask if this part will fit onto your 2016, i know for the 2013's it definitely does. He will respond to you via email reply within a few days and ask if they will throw a code on the 6k bulbs, mine didn't but mine were not 6k.

http://www.highperformancebulbs.com/...-upgrades.html
Old 02-23-2020, 03:14 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadzBmerN20 View Post
Here is the link to the bulbs, make sure you reach out to Steve at HPB in the contact us and specifically ask if this part will fit onto your 2016, i know for the 2013's it definitely does. He will respond to you via email reply within a few days and ask if they will throw a code on the 6k bulbs, mine didn't but mine were not 6k.

http://www.highperformancebulbs.com/...-upgrades.html
Thanks, man.

So, on the chain guides. Were they no longer faulty in 2016?

Old 02-23-2020, 07:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shon528 Send a message via Yahoo to Shon528
Mein Auto: '16 GLE350
Quote:
we have the same car! my wife actually likes it because the seats are comfy. i'm a tall guy (6'1) and i have to put the seat wayyy back to feel comfy. what i like about it is that it's very responsive on the road, and i like when you pick sport mode the steeling wheel tights up and more power is thrown to the front (i assume). What i didn't realize until buying a BMW is that they consume oil like crazy. mine was asking for a quart in between oil changes. I took mine in for brake pad work (sensor was yelling at me to replace them) but the place that i bought the car from, or whomever did the previous maintenance work, didn't reset the sensor. The pad looked brand new. The shop said that it's a strong possibility that whomever did the work before didn't have the right software to reset the sensor. Also, they said that BMW doesn't resurface brakes. They just change them out (i thought that was weird).
For the brake pads, easy to replace the pads, rotors, and sensor, then you can reset yourself. Google for the procedure using the trip reset button on the gauge cluster. The car will quickly run it's own check and tell you if it can reset or not.
'07 4Runner V8 Limited 4WD

Gone: '17 340i 6mt, MPPSK, PCD 2/17, '16 GLE350, '06 LR3 HSE, '14 320i 6MT ZSP ZPP PCD 5/14, '12 ML350 diesel, '11 Accord 5mt, '10 MDX, '08 Accord 5mt, '06 Xterra 6mt, '98 528i, '95 Mazda Millenia
Old 02-24-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Thanks, man.

So, on the chain guides. Were they no longer faulty in 2016?

Hey Bimma, sad news i am closing this account by the end of today. If you want to check out my other threads in another forum which i cannot say which one: just look for my used id which is similar to this one at:

DadzBmer_N2o

Good luck to everyone and thank you all for letting me participate in these discussions.
Old 02-24-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
could i get halogen's from pelican parts? or are those just replacement bulbs for the stock bulbs? i too find it hard to see at night. i'd love to be able to have bright ass halos
BMW does sell a brighter halogen bulb. Many halogen equipped BMW cars were delivered with the headlights adjusted too low. Either have someone align them or look for the diy instructions here. Could make a big difference,
Old 02-25-2020, 03:48 PM
Officially a BMW Addict

Mein Auto: F15, F10, E60
Quote:
Hey, folks.

..Drew...
1. First bmw
2. 90k
3. out of warranty
4. gaps in service
what could go wrong....no offense but with patience you could have found a 328i.
"Itís what non-car people donít get. They see all cars as just a ton and a half, two tons of wires, glass, metal, and rubber, and thatís all they see. People like you or I know we have an unshakable belief that cars are living entitiesÖ" - Jeremy Clarkson

Last edited by OnlyGerman; 02-25-2020 at 03:57 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search