The BIG preventative maintenance project; suggestions? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 04-22-2014, 06:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i 95K Miles
The BIG preventative maintenance project; suggestions?

I've been enjoying my new (to me) 2003 530i for about 6 months. I bought it at 88,000 miles and I've got 95,000 on it today. The previous owner took pretty good care, gave me some pretty good records, and I'm trying to continue the tradition.

As I'm nearing the 100K point I'm looking at the major preventative maintenance tasks ahead and am trying to decide what to attack together to make the best use of my time/resources/money. I don't want to get too far down the "while you're there) rabbit hole, but...

So, I just changed the oil yesterday, going to do the spark plugs today and the rear differential fluid as well (using all Redline fluids). I've got a fuel filter that I'll get to eventually as well. In the next couple of weeks it will be the transmission filter and fluid.

So, I know I need to overhaul the cooling system so that is a priority fix. I also know I need to do the Oil Filter Housing gasket (its leaking). I have no idea when the belts/associated pulleys might have been changed so I'm thinking that too. I don't believe the VANOS has ever been done; should that be on the list?

I'm a rookie DIYer and have basically been reading everything I can here and watching a million youtube videos to help me get squared away. So far I haven't broken anything. I don't want to get myself too deep into a project that I might REALLY mess up, and I don't want to be in a situation where I've got the car apart for days. My skills/equipment are your basic jack stands in the driveway setup. I would really like to tackle a project that can be done on a Saturday, maybe stretched over to Sunday.

Lastly, I'm in no rush to get started. I am going to be deploying to Afghanistan for the rest of the year so this will likely be a spring project next year. I just want to get everything organized and ready so I know what to buy and what to get prepared for. My car will mostly be sitting for the rest of the year, but my wife will drive it around once a week or so just to keep everything moving. Anything else I should be thinking about?

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2014, 06:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 528i 9/99
I think you're on the right track. I wouldnt, however, worry about vanos quite yet. I wait to see if you start getting the symptoms. You may get lucky and the PO or the PPO replaced them w/out documentation.
It's enough of a job that doing it if unnecessary will leave you cussing.
did you check the how to guide? http://www.beisansystems.com/
If you haven't, please do. It may scare you away
I need to do it on my car, but there are so many things to do before then.

CCV Delete- So happy about it too
Street Edge Coil Overs
M5 Rear Sway Bar
Hankook Ventus V2 225/55/16
Akebono Euro Front Pads- Awesome
Brembo OE Replacement Rotors- Makes my heart flutter
Stereo Fully Upgraded- Focal, CDT, Soundstream, Kicker
Old 04-22-2014, 08:26 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
#1 priority is cooling overhaul, and this includes serp belts x 2.

The rest is elective.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2014, 09:23 AM

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
Buy a copy of Bimmer magazine. Ask for a copy of Mike Miller's maintenance schedule. He makes a bunch of reasonable observations from his years as a BMW wrench.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 330ci 5-Spd
#1 Radiator, Expansion tank, plastic fan, fan clutch, upper and lower hose, coolant temp sensor, idler pulley, belt tensioner, new belt, water pump, electric thermostat, new coolant

What type of fluid you plan for ATF? I am using Valvoline Dex/Merc Maxlife almost 2 years now.

Check your battery if its still good. "gremlins" happen sometimes if battery is not at 100% health

You can do VANOS/Valve cover gasket later
Old 04-22-2014, 12:31 PM

Alright, sounds like the vanos can be the next project.

So cooling system plus belts and pulleys plus oil filter housing gasket? Doable in a day as one project?

I'm planning to use the Redline ATF for the transmission. Redline's website says it's a replacement for the esso fluid. Anyone used Redline for their ATF change?

Battery was recently changed by previous owner so should be good there.

I do have the old school maintenance plan, super useful, but just wanted to get an idea of what kind of stuff can/should be done together.

Thanks for all he suggestions so far.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:29 PM

Mein Auto: 530i 2003
Some semi-random thoughts

Both BMW and Bosch recommend replacing the O2 sensors at 100k miles. Even though they aren't creating DTCs, at this age they will be switching slowly. People installing new sensors report improved driveability and better gas mileage, in the range of 5% or a little better. The before catalytic converter sensors for sure. There is debate at the benefit of renewing the after cat sensors.

You mentioned cooling system overhaul, so you'll likely renew anti-freeze too. The recommendation is every 4 years.
Brake fluid flush is recommended every two years.

While not a PM as such in terms of replacing parts, an Inspection II now would be a good checklist for finding things needing attention so you can plan ahead.

Although not in the PM checklists, lube the lock cylinders and lock mechanisms. Verify the mechanical unlock functions.

A battery tender if the car is going to be driven infrequently, especially if only shortish trips. Come to think of it, infrequent, short trips will risk sludge formation in the CCV. A half hour or so drive would be better to get the engine well up to temperature long enough to purge any condensation in the crankcase.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:06 PM

Good point on the oxygen sensors; I'll put them on the list as well.

Coolant will get flushed with the replacement of the system and brakes will be due next year. Good points.

I don't know anything about locks and lock mechanisms so I'll have to look that up.

Thanks for the info.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:28 PM

Mein Auto: 530i 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjppop View Post
I don't know anything about locks and lock mechanisms so I'll have to look that up.
Nothing difficult.
A spritz of lock lube in each of the cylinders.
Turn the key 90* CCW to ensure the mechanical unlocks aren't seized.
A few spritzes of lock lube through the gaps in the latches to ensure the mechanisms and electric actuators inside the door structure get a bit of lubrication.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search