Getting pretty discouraged with 2013 m-sport - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - 2017)

X3 F25 (2011 - 2017)
The second generation X3 added style and new features to the BMW's mid-sized SUV. Talk about the BMW F25 X3 with other X3 owners now!

Old 09-18-2018, 10:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i 95K Miles
Getting pretty discouraged with 2013 m-sport

Haven't posted in a while but wanted to say, I'm getting pretty discouraged with my 2013 m-sport. I purchased it used in 2016 with 28,000 miles on the clock. It was offered as a CPO with warranty but I was moving overseas (Germany) and couldn't take advantage of the warranty so they knocked 3K off the price and sold it without warranty (from BMW dealer). I assumed it had still been through all the checks for the CPO so I thought I should be getting a good car. I was wrong.

Car had new tires and new brakes and all new fluids at 28K so again, thought I was doing well.

At 45K miles rear differential completely failed and had to be completely replaced; can't be fixed, no parts available for that piece, only replacement. I LOST IT on the BMW dealer here in Berlin when he told me "Well, it is getting old." At 45K miles??? Total failure of rear diff? Well, he contacted BMW and they agreed to cover the nearly 3000 USD part if I paid labor. OK, I was into 600 USD for labor.

Well now it's time for 60K service. I am trying to be forward leaning with preventative maintenance. Tires are shot at 60K so only 30K for a set of tires, not great but not terrible. That's 1000 USD. I wanted spark plugs changed, air filters changed, oil changed, brake fluid changed. OK, that will be another 750 USD. I also wanted ATF fluid changed. OK, that will be another 750 USD. While servicing they discover oh, you need all new brakes all the way around; pads, rotors, sensors, everything. OK, that will be another 1600 USD. While doing that, they call me and leave a message about my rear suspension needing to be replaced. I have to call back to see what that is going to be. I've decided I'm picking the car up and going somewhere else for another opinion on that.

These are all prices from a respected indy shop that specializes in BMW here in Berlin.

I love the car, it's been comfortable and fun to drive, but costs and maintenance just don't seem to be worth it. I've only owned the thing for two years and if I would have had to pay for that differential I'd be into this car nearly 8K in repairs and maintenance. In two years! Oh, completely forgot that the drainage holes for the sunroof got plugged and flooded the car. Dealer wanted 1500 USD to completely pull out the interior, dry it all out, and put it back. Decided to go to a top end detailer instead who was able to suck all the water out. Apparently that's a VERY common problem with these cars.

This is my second BMW (first one was a 2003 530i E39 that I really loved) but I'm really starting to wonder if the value proposition is still there for BMW. I'm REALLY hoping that this huge infusion of cash into this car gets me at least another 60K miles but if this thing requires much more money, I'm out. Moving to something like the Mazda CX-5. Could have purchased a brand new CX-5, completely loaded, for what I paid for the X3 three years old.

Anyway, just wanted to vent. Never fun getting presented with a stack of unexpected bills.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2018, 02:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328i, x335i, x535i
Yeah, German cars are expensive and German labor is even more expensive when it comes to maintenance. Just chuck it like bad luck. My inlaw got a 2009 528i at 70k miles in 2014 and now it is around 105k miles, still drives good for the age and mileage with no major cash-burning repairs....yet!
Old 09-20-2018, 02:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5 4.4 V8
X3,worries?

Hi my 2011 3.5i has done 80 k kilometers about 60kmiles. It still has the original spark plugs , drive belt , battery and all the bulbs etc and brake pads. The only replacement part so far is the water pump which I was a bit up set about? I am a mechanic of 55 yrs and do all my own servicing and work at 73 yrs old . I had a 4.4 V8 X5. 2004 before. the X 3 sold it at 232 k kilometers didn't do any major work on that either only a few oil leaks manily the oil cooler fitting blanking plate seal that leaks on them. What I believe is they are better left well alone , only doing what has to be done other than normal servicing. A good car and a real pleasure to drive better than any Mazda mate !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2018, 05:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M Sport, 3 series
You are indeed unfortunate. While unacceptable, it is a real risk buying these highly technical cars. I too have a 13 X3 3.5 Msport, with 56k, bought used. I did get a named exclusion warranty to take me to 100k. So far I've only needed brakes, a 02 sensor and new tailgate switch. I want an analog car again (except for the ecm). The outrageous dealer prices for repair without any guarantee of the repair actually solving the problem is something car dealers get away with like almost no other industry.
Just an anecdote : Girlfriend hears a squeal while breaking and goes to the dealer. Told she needs a 125 diagnostic, which turns up negative. She calls me after, and I explain the brakes have a wear indicator, and that's what it sounds like over the phone. Sure enough, just new pads needed. Why wouldn't the tech even check before charging for the diagnostic hookup? Simple, 125 for 5 minutes 'work' which they likely knew beforehand. Get a good independent shop. It's a great vehicle when it's running good.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - 2017)
Today's Posts Search