Replaced Mechatronic Sleeve - no communication now - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)

E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series E60 Sedan was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E61 wagon followed shortly there after. The E60/E61 5 series is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 12-16-2018, 10:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
Replaced Mechatronic Sleeve - no communication now

Pretty straightforward. I pulled the mechatronic to replace seals and solenoids. Pretty straightforward job. All the parts are original ZF from The CTSC. The last part that is suppose to be simple is making me crazy. I think the sleeve is in correctly, my best guess measurement of the gap between the lock ring and the trans is 3mm. It must not be quite close enough. The car tells me of transmission failure and a quick scan shows a zillion errors with communication everywhere. I've had the sleeve in and out many times.
I am working on an E61, 350xi - there is almost enough room to get in there...
I'm stumped. Any suggestions?
TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2018, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by plus1111 View Post
Pretty straightforward. I pulled the mechatronic to replace seals and solenoids. Pretty straightforward job. All the parts are original ZF from The CTSC. The last part that is suppose to be simple is making me crazy. I think the sleeve is in correctly, my best guess measurement of the gap between the lock ring and the trans is 3mm. It must not be quite close enough. The car tells me of transmission failure and a quick scan shows a zillion errors with communication everywhere. I've had the sleeve in and out many times.
I am working on an E61, 350xi - there is almost enough room to get in there...
I'm stumped. Any suggestions?
TIA
What codes are showing? Give more info of the codes and behaviour of car currently at startup?

BMW 525d Msport 2009 LCI Stage 1
Old 12-16-2018, 10:54 AM

Before I can even read the codes the iDrive lights up with transmission failure. It also mentions that car may go into gear on it's own. The first time I put it together my scan tool showed good communication so I installed the pan and fluid. When I started the car to do the fill procedure, errors started and it would not shift at all. Locked in park.
I double checked that the selector switch and lever are both properly engaged before tightening the mechatronic.
Transmission codes are 4E87, 4E86, CF07... all appear to be non-communication. Engine controls and other errors all translate to no trans communication. I have the Schwaben scan tool.
All the data for doing the sleeve say if the plug lock ring is away from the trans more than 3mm it won't talk and I'm reasonably sure that's where I am. I even compared both the old and new sleeve, they are identical except for the reddish bed seal rings on the old one.
It's slowly making me crazy.
Thanks for responding so quickly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2018, 11:11 AM

I do not have a nice and small measuring devise that is metric. I have to run errands later so I will bet one. My basic guess is that the gap ZF points out may be more than 3mm.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:13 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Before I can even read the codes the iDrive lights up with transmission failure. It also mentions that car may go into gear on it's own. The first time I put it together my scan tool showed good communication so I installed the pan and fluid. When I started the car to do the fill procedure, errors started and it would not shift at all. Locked in park.
I double checked that the selector switch and lever are both properly engaged before tightening the mechatronic.
Transmission codes are 4E87, 4E86, CF07... all appear to be non-communication. Engine controls and other errors all translate to no trans communication. I have the Schwaben scan tool.
All the data for doing the sleeve say if the plug lock ring is away from the trans more than 3mm it won't talk and I'm reasonably sure that's where I am. I even compared both the old and new sleeve, they are identical except for the reddish bed seal rings on the old one.
It's slowly making me crazy.
Thanks for responding so quickly.
Ok i done the gearbox service too and the car drove perfectly fine for like a week. And one day started the car and was hit with multiple fault codes regarding dme, abs, dsc and gws. The car doesn't move out of "P" and also noticed the gear selector is movable freely without pressing the brake pedal down. Also noticed that my Radiator fan comes on full speed at engine startup without stopping.

Have you checked the mechatronic sleeve electrical connection as if oil is leaking on the pins it will interrupt communication.

Let me know of the outcome as thats what i will be checking too when i get time off from work next as i have nearly pulled the whole car apart.

Old 12-16-2018, 11:23 AM

The mechatronic sleeve is where I think the issue is. It is new but I am not sure it's properly seated. I did clean the connections with good contact cleaner before reassembling. It all looks nice and clean at this point. I wish there was just a bit more room around it but the transfer case takes up a lot of space.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:28 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
The mechatronic sleeve is where I think the issue is. It is new but I am not sure it's properly seated. I did clean the connections with good contact cleaner before reassembling. It all looks nice and clean at this point. I wish there was just a bit more room around it but the transfer case takes up a lot of space.

Thanks for the tip.
Can you check and confirm for me that at startup the fan comes on full speed and constantly.

And also the gearshift selector is stuck in P with solid green light on P or is it flashing green light?

Old 12-16-2018, 01:46 PM

I would prefer not to start it at this time since there is no fluid in the transmission. I had to drain it to pull the release for the sleeve. I will go out and flip the ignition on and see what I get.
Old 12-16-2018, 01:49 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
I would prefer not to start it at this time since there is no fluid in the transmission. I had to drain it to pull the release for the sleeve. I will go out and flip the ignition on and see what I get.
Yes you definitely dont want to start it with no fluid. Once you have fluid back in there let us know of the outcome and the symptoms i asked for you to check.

goodluck

Old 12-16-2018, 02:24 PM

Mein Auto: '06 530xi 6sp
plus1111,

Look at the documents at the california transmission supply company . com

My guess is that your don't have the sleeve in correctly.
Or the connecter is not fully plugged in.
Or you managed to dislodge an electrical pin inside the connector.

All these are covered in the one of the PDFs found there.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:31 PM

I just pulled the valve body again. As someone who has built and rebuilt mechanical monstrosities and computers, I am embarrassed to say I found a bent pin on the connector. I still haven't figured out it that's the cause or effect of the sleeve setting issue. I have a direction to go in now.
My great thanks to everyone who offered assistance!
Old 12-16-2018, 03:15 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
I just pulled the valve body again. As someone who has built and rebuilt mechanical monstrosities and computers, I am embarrassed to say I found a bent pin on the connector. I still haven't figured out it that's the cause or effect of the sleeve setting issue. I have a direction to go in now.
My great thanks to everyone who offered assistance!
Great. Hope you get it sorted. Iv just ordered a new sleeve which ill be putting on by the weekend and seeing if that gets me going too.

Let us know how you get on.

Old 12-16-2018, 03:28 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by twh View Post
plus1111,

Look at the documents at the california transmission supply company . com

My guess is that your don't have the sleeve in correctly.
Or the connecter is not fully plugged in.
Or you managed to dislodge an electrical pin inside the connector.

All these are covered in the one of the PDFs found there.
The car was running perfectly fine for a week until it decided not to go in any gears one morning.

Hence why i don't understand if the mechatronic sleeve wasnt sitting properly or pin was damaged on connector it should have shows faults straight away.

Im hoping its just leaked fluid on the connector pins hence why the error codes and unable to go into gears.

Keeping my fingers crossed on this as im fed up of chucking parts at it and getting no where with the issue being resolved. Been over 2 weeks diagnosing this issue.

Old 12-16-2018, 04:08 PM

Mein Auto: '06 530xi 6sp
I doubt you need a new sleeve. You do need to straighten the pin carefully and reseat the connector. It is just a case of bent pin. It is not that hard to assemble a connector and bend a pin in the process. That particular type of connector has hollow pin as I recall. Be careful straightening the pin. You may have get the connector started off-center and it grabbed the pin and bent it. Or maybe the connector wasn't properly in the register and you pushed it in and it caught the pin. It is a tight working space and you are working blind -- I get it. It should feel good when you first seat it and when you turn the lock, it should be smooth.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:44 PM

Thanks TWH. I thought is should feel right and just go on. There is the key in the sleeve that should align stuff. I have no idea how I managed to bend those - I an very aware of bending pins in a connector like that. Nevertheless, I bent them. Tomorrow I will patiently straighten them. Not today.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:47 PM

F1mugen - I doubt you have bent pins unless you disassembled yours. When the sleeve leaks the fluid eventually gets low enough to make the trans computer panic, at least from what I've read. I suspect a new sleeve will settle it for you. Be sure to use the right fluid.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 05 645Ci, 14 750 M-Sport
The locking fork will lock even if the seal is not installed in the correct place, ask me how I know! It is a tight place to work, then getting the connector locked in place. I started getting the seal as far in as possible with the forked locked, then install the connector. I then pull the fork back down, then use a large screw driver adding pressure behind the connector. I can usually move it that last little bit to get the seal in all of the way. With a bent pin, you can get a CanBus error causing a lot of codes. You really don't want to break a pin, that can get expensive. If the tranny was stuck in park, the cable might not have been locked in place when the shift pin was slid in place. This job is not fun the 1st time around.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:21 PM

It's darn frustrating for sure. I have had some experience straightening pins like this. If I wait, take my time, and breathe easy I'll get it back as it should be. I seriously doubt I can find that connector or replacement pins easily. I do not want to replace the TCU or the mechatronic.
It'll get there.
Thanks for the tip.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:32 PM

I respect all you guys doing this without removing the exhaust and transfer case support. Even with all that removed it was still a tight job.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:58 PM

I think if I had done that this job would have been completed much sooner. I figure my bent pins are a result of wrangling the connector in that tight space. Oh well, live and learn.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:44 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
F1mugen - I doubt you have bent pins unless you disassembled yours. When the sleeve leaks the fluid eventually gets low enough to make the trans computer panic, at least from what I've read. I suspect a new sleeve will settle it for you. Be sure to use the right fluid.
Yes i haven't disassembled it after the trans service and it drove fine so it might be that its leaked from the sleeve and running low on oil hence why not letting it go into any gear.

Will open it up over the weekend and replace the sleeve and report back with how i got on and what the outcome was.

Old 12-17-2018, 05:59 AM

Well before I try to reassemble mine I am going to dig deep and see if I can get a little more slack in the cable. I guess I bent the pins trying to align the connector when plugging it back in. Not only is the space tight but the cable is clamped down very well too. I found one clip already but it didn't provide much slack.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:14 AM

I was having a hard time convincing myself that it was lined up correctly. The twist lock on the connector on mine was really hard to twist. I spent a few minutes cleaning it so it moved like butter and when i finally went to put it on I knew it was lined up because there was only one way to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 12-17-2018, 04:42 PM

The valve body is reinstalled. The sleeve actually went in - I managed to get a finger in it to guide the key. The connector screwed on and so far, the car is happy. I still need to torque the pan bolts and do the refill. I stop and jiggle the harness from time to time, then check for errors before each step. I think it might work!
Old 12-18-2018, 11:34 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
The valve body is reinstalled. The sleeve actually went in - I managed to get a finger in it to guide the key. The connector screwed on and so far, the car is happy. I still need to torque the pan bolts and do the refill. I stop and jiggle the harness from time to time, then check for errors before each step. I think it might work!
Keep us posted of the results

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search