BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Eccentric Shaft/Valvetronic Motor failure

12K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  2011BMW335iJRS 
#1 ·
The dreaded day has come. Car's been in the shop for a week with no resolution. '13 x1 35i with like 57k mi. Owned it 4 years and absolutely love it.

CEL came on. Dealer tried replacing the valvetronic motor ($2100 with labor.) Didn't work. Foreman recommended replacing DME, which is covered under and extended warranty, and since they figured that caused the valvetronic failure, that was covered, too.

Just got a text from SA stating the DME didn't fix the errors after many tries. New recommendation to to replace eccentric shaft/oil sprayer (maybe not the exact terms) for like $3800, no longer under warranty. They agreed to cover 75%, which is OK, I guess, but no guarantee this will fix anything, and I'm on the hook for any further diagnosis/repair.

I'm absolutely sick to my stomach :(

#3 · (Edited)
You paid for the valvetronic motors even though the DME was stated to cause the problem?
Haven't paid for anything yet. The replacement valvetronic motor was covered, supposedly. Now they want to replace the valvetronic shaft and oil spray nozzle, which are separate parts (?) for $3568.

But yeah, thinking about it, why would the DME still not be the cause, and why would BMW cover 75% if not still the DME? Many questions remain...

#8 ·
Sounds like the shaft is the correct diagnosis. The symptoms in this link match mine.

Fixing a BMW Valvetronic eccentric shaft failure codes
my 2011 335i xdrive had the eccentric shaft and motor replaced and it ended up being a "bad" engine module. I drove it in, with the check engine light on and rough idle as my concerns. The only codes/faults they listed on the invoice were 002DE3 and 0036D4. I do not trust that the shaft needed to be replaced, as the shop provided the replaced/bad parts and there are no springs, like in your link's pictures, just the eccentric shaft. He told me that the damage had been done and the parts "inside" were destroyed. I see no destroyed parts! After that repair they called and said the engine module needed to be replaced, because the car was a no start. Could that have been the problem all along? I also do not trust that they replaced the engine module with an OEM, as the box says Made in Spain? The cost for replacement: eccentric shaft and motor (over $3000) and the "OEM" engine module ($1600) . Was I scammed with an unnecessary eccentric shaft repair??

#7 ·
Hi Tranq, did you replace the vt-motor etc just due to the cel and codes? Makes me worry because I have had some valve tronic codes come up before and the engine went into a limp mode with no power, barely doing speed limit on hwy etc but when I got got home I did a valvetronic reset with my scantool and it recalibrated itself and never came back. This was maybe a year and a half ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.