Radio/Presets and Voice Command Questions - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:32 PM

Mein Auto: SC - USA
Radio/Presets and Voice Command Questions

My wife got her new 328i with tech package yesterday and has gotten frustrated with a couple of things and I am hopeful that some of the individuals here may have some solutions.

1) On her Acura she could set her presets and then just use the up and down buttons on the steering wheel to cycle through them. On the BMW she has to be in the Presets view and then she has to cycle and click. Is there a way to set it to cycle through the Presets even when the presets screen isn't up and is there a way to have it switch stations immediately as she scrolls?

2) The manual says that she can just say dial name and it will call that person from the phonebook. That doesn't seem to work though, instead she has to say Phonebook, it asks her if she would like to make a call, she says yes, then asks who, she says the name etc... So it seems to take about 30-40 seconds until she can get the call started.

3) The HUD made her violently ill and seemed to be a result of her getting vertigo with it in her field of vision. We have just turned it off for now and will try some anti-glare sunglasses but my suspicion is that she will just never be able to use it. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2013, 12:45 PM

Mein Auto: SC - USA
In case anyone runs into this in the future, primarily issue #3:

1) In the end this looks like there is no solution, I checked the coding forum as well and didn't see the option there. The Arrow right/left button on the dash do seem to do what she wants but at the expense of taking her hands off the wheel. Not a huge issue it seems, something to adjust to and not really a problem. I personally like that I can scroll down to another station and select it and not "through" other stations.

2) I found that if the name has one number she can usually dial it with just: Phonebook name so that is good enough.

3) We turned off the HUD but the reflective window still caused some sickness, she bought some felt and cut it to fit and so far problem solved!
Old 06-29-2013, 04:57 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrena View Post
My wife got her new 328i with tech package yesterday and has gotten frustrated with a couple of things and I am hopeful that some of the individuals here may have some solutions.

1) On her Acura she could set her presets and then just use the up and down buttons on the steering wheel to cycle through them. On the BMW she has to be in the Presets view and then she has to cycle and click. Is there a way to set it to cycle through the Presets even when the presets screen isn't up and is there a way to have it switch stations immediately as she scrolls?
Welcome aboard and congrats on the new car.

The key to getting the Radio Presets to 'stick' in the HUD is to use the "tuck" rule.

Go to Radio > Presets and put the red box atop her most favorite station.

Press + Hold one of the 1-8 buttons on the center stack to lock in that station, the lock coming from the Presets menu as its source.

Hit NAV on the iDrive controller (on center console) to go back to the map display. Count to 10.

Now, hit that 1-8 button you assigned that one favorite station to.

Hit RADIO on the iDrive controller (on center console) and it should have you on that Presets screen again.

Push the iDrive controller due West (don't turn/scroll the controller, push it) to tuck the Presets menu away.

Hit NAV on the iDrive controller.

You now should be able to scroll through the Presets on the HUD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrena View Post
2) The manual says that she can just say dial name and it will call that person from the phonebook. That doesn't seem to work though, instead she has to say Phonebook, it asks her if she would like to make a call, she says yes, then asks who, she says the name etc... So it seems to take about 30-40 seconds until she can get the call started.
If she has an iPhone, just use Siri.

Little known fact is that if you press + hold the home button on the iPhone it brings Siri up over Bluetooth over the internal iDrive speaker and microphone. After Siri starts talking, put the phone down, both hands back on the wheel. Simply say "dial Steve Smith" and boom, you're in a phone call in under 10 seconds. When the call is over, press the end call button on the steering wheel, Siri disengages, and you're back to the Radio or whatever she was listening to. Siri lets you set up relationships too, so she can say "call my husband" or "call my mom", very easy.

BJ

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 06-29-2013 at 05:03 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search