The NEW official E36 OT Thread!! - Page 520 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 07:35 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 3.0si, '11 128CiC
Anyone been watching the Isle of Man motorcycle TT this week. Hillier hit 206mph during his run. That's correct, MPH, not KPH. That whole event is just a special form of insanity.

Old 06-14-2015, 07:38 AM
Hellawut??

Mein Auto: who knows?
Soon (1500 miles) I'll be doing my first oil change on my car, still going to keep running Rotella t6, and sending it to blackstone to get tested, hopefully the insides are good.

Question is, should I do the oil filter housing gasket while the oil is drained and the valve cover gasket too, or doesn't it really matter if it's full/drained or not. I've done a valve cover before, never a oil filter housing. Should I be worried?
Old 06-14-2015, 08:06 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 328iS
You are doing an oil change at 1500 miles?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2015, 08:09 AM
Hellawut??

:facepalm:

No.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:18 AM
D'oh, You Kids!

Mein Auto: E24x2,E36x3,E30x2, F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
Anyone been watching the Isle of Man motorcycle TT this week. Hillier hit 206mph during his run. That's correct, MPH, not KPH. That whole event is just a special form of insanity.
Yes! Dear God, what guts it takes to do that race(s)! 230+ riders have died in the Isle of Man races and practices since it began, and thousands more have been seriously injured. They heal up, and come right back for more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eight Thirty View Post
Soon (1500 miles) I'll be doing my first oil change on my car, still going to keep running Rotella t6, and sending it to blackstone to get tested, hopefully the insides are good.

Question is, should I do the oil filter housing gasket while the oil is drained and the valve cover gasket too, or doesn't it really matter if it's full/drained or not. I've done a valve cover before, never a oil filter housing. Should I be worried?
I would do it while it's drained, just because it'll be cooled down and you're more likely to take your time and get it right the first time. That job has a history of going sour if it's not perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleDrivesABmw View Post
You are doing an oil change at 1500 miles?!
He's going to DO the oil change in another 1500 miles.

Quote:
:facepalm:

No.

BMW-CCA #441426
1993 325is M3 clone"Ashlyn"; 1993 325is "Elvira"; 1985 635CSi "Katja"; 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"; 1987 325is "Odette";1995 318is"Bebe "; 1985 325e "Hazel Ann"

Last edited by hornhospital; 06-14-2015 at 08:20 AM.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:20 AM
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
From what I've read, if you have not run the engine in a while, the oil should all be down in the pan and you should be (mostly) okay to change the OFH gasket without draining the oil. You'll still have a little oil escape, so be prepared. That said, you might as well do it when it's drained anyway.

Also, do you know the total mileage on your current oil, and the brand and viscosity? If the oil was put in by the previous owner and you don't know exactly when (or if anything was added to it along the way), I wouldn't bother sending it to Blackstone. Knowing the total miles on the oil is key to analysis and determining rates of wear, and without it, your data will not be very useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
I usually catch up on the highlights of the TT eventually, but haven't done so yet. It's definitely one of the world's greatest spectacles of speed. And yes, the riders are insane. It seems someone usually dies each year, and of course that is true of this year's event.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild

Last edited by ZeGerman; 06-14-2015 at 08:27 AM.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:30 AM
Hellawut??

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
I would do it while it's drained, just because it'll be cooled down and you're more likely to take your time and get it right the first time. That job has a history of going sour if it's not perfect.
I thought that draining it would be better just from logical standpoints. So ill make sure that i do the job perfect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
From what I've read, if you have not run the engine in a while, the oil should all be down in the pan and you should be (mostly) okay to change the OFH gasket without draining the oil. You'll still have a little oil escape, so be prepared. That said, you might as well do it when it's drained anyway.

Also, do you know the total mileage on your current oil, and the brand and viscosity? If the oil was put in by the previous owner and you don't know exactly when, I wouldn't bother sending it to Blackstone. Knowing the total miles on the oil is key to analysis and determining rates of wear, and without it, your data will not be very useful.
Karl and oil change was one of the things i did two months ago, In 1500 miles ill be at exactly 5,000 miles on the brand new Rotella T6 that i put in myself, pretty sure its 5w-40. I took your suggestion months ago when i did the oil change to wait for this oil change to send my samples in, this will be the first documented change with MY oil and MY driving, with my precise mileage counting.

Sounds like i COULD do it without draining itů. but if i already am draining it, i might as well so the gaskets while its drained, let it sit overnight. Then pick it back up in the morning. (the valve cover and OFG will be getting done in one swoop)

After that ill determine the oil pan gasket and the power steering leak. Trying to find a z3 rack for the lows $$$. not sure how long my power steering will work forů.. lmao.

Last edited by Eight Thirty; 06-14-2015 at 08:31 AM.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:40 AM
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor

Quote:
I thought that draining it would be better just from logical standpoints. So ill make sure that i do the job perfect.

Karl and oil change was one of the things i did two months ago, In 1500 miles ill be at exactly 5,000 miles on the brand new Rotella T6 that i put in myself, pretty sure its 5w-40. I took your suggestion months ago when i did the oil change to wait for this oil change to send my samples in, this will be the first documented change with MY oil and MY driving, with my precise mileage counting.

Sounds like i COULD do it without draining itů. but if i already am draining it, i might as well so the gaskets while its drained, let it sit overnight. Then pick it back up in the morning. (the valve cover and OFG will be getting done in one swoop)

After that ill determine the oil pan gasket and the power steering leak. Trying to find a z3 rack for the lows $$$. not sure how long my power steering will work forů.. lmao.
Perfect! Also, let me know if you want info on how to fix the power steering leak for cheap. I tackled that job last summer and converted it to a much simpler hose configuration where it connects to the cooling coil (metal hardline). Has been bone dry ever since.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
Old 06-14-2015, 08:51 AM
Hellawut??

Yeah please send me a link, or a pm with the info I'll need, keep in mind I haven't done any of my own research on this yet.

That'd be cool to get out of the way. Im leaking enough fluid to coat the bottom of my car while I drive, keeps the rust off. Lmao.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:27 PM
Needs Boost

Mein Auto: Red Sled
Well after 7 years I'm finally replacing the ugliest part of my car.

Oem style carbon fiber hood on the way.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:55 AM
Speed is Zen

Mein Auto: Bavarian Bombshell
New rims.

I'm actually helping a friend prep his car for sale, it sat outside all winter after the motor blew so there's an epic amount of work to do. The photo of all four of them is after I used an entire bottle of acid based cleaner to strip all the rust and corrosion off of them, the single wheel is after 220, 400, 800, 1000 grit and some good ole white diamond polish, but I think I need to get some 2000 and 3000 as well because there are still some sanding marks looking at it closely.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:23 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 328iS
Those rims look really cool! It looks like you did a good job refinishing them
Old 06-15-2015, 07:23 AM
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post

Cool! What brand did you buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
New rims.

Nice! I like those. What dimensions are they?

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
Old 06-15-2015, 07:34 AM
D'oh, You Kids!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
Perfect! Also, let me know if you want info on how to fix the power steering leak for cheap. I tackled that job last summer and converted it to a much simpler hose configuration where it connects to the cooling coil (metal hardline). Has been bone dry ever since.
I'd like that info myself. In fact, could you put it in one of the many stickies we have? Everyone with an E36 that hasn't done a major rework on the power steering hoses will have the same situation of leaking hoses, and need a durable, simple fix.

Quote:
Yeah please send me a link, or a pm with the info I'll need, keep in mind I haven't done any of my own research on this yet.

That'd be cool to get out of the way. Im leaking enough fluid to coat the bottom of my car while I drive, keeps the rust off. Lmao.
I thought that was what the oil leakage was for, to auto-coat the underside and prevent rust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post

How is an ill-fitting (the CF hoods are ALL ill-fitting) OEM-style hood going to be an improvement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
New rims.

I'm actually helping a friend prep his car for sale, it sat outside all winter after the motor blew so there's an epic amount of work to do. The photo of all four of them is after I used an entire bottle of acid based cleaner to strip all the rust and corrosion off of them, the single wheel is after 220, 400, 800, 1000 grit and some good ole white diamond polish, but I think I need to get some 2000 and 3000 as well because there are still some sanding marks looking at it closely.
How much time do you have in that one wheel? How much more time do you think it will take to finish it to your satisfaction? Just curious.....

BMW-CCA #441426
1993 325is M3 clone"Ashlyn"; 1993 325is "Elvira"; 1985 635CSi "Katja"; 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"; 1987 325is "Odette";1995 318is"Bebe "; 1985 325e "Hazel Ann"
Old 06-15-2015, 07:36 AM
Speed is Zen

I've only sanded and polished one so far and it's not quite done. It's gonna be a long week...

They're 17x9s with 255s, not sure what offset but they fit on the car well without endangering the fenders.

Basically my friend built this LS1 sedan and got it 95% completed to be a fun street car, but the motor popped when he took it out for some track day. That was last fall, and other projects got in the way, so it just sat out in the snow and salt all winter.

In addition to restoring the wheels I'm doing a full paint correction on it and a full interior detail. We'll probably paint the exhaust and take care of a few other cosmetic things.

I spent most of the day over there on Saturday more or less just knocking off all the loose dirt, degreasing the replacement motor/engine bay and accessing the situation.

We're hoping to have it up for sale next month, so if anyone is in the market for a 'vette killer let me know.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:38 AM
Speed is Zen

I put about two hours into that wheel and I didn't remove the heaviest knicks, and noticed some fine sand paper marks showing after I hit it with polish. I'm gonna pick up some 2000 and 3000 grit today and try to achieve perfection with this wheel before moving on.

They are older wheels that've had a pretty hard life so I'm not worried about removing every single imperfection, but I'd like to get as close to a mirror finish as I can.

Last edited by SlimKlim; 06-15-2015 at 07:39 AM.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:41 AM
D'oh, You Kids!

You are a dedicated man. I've been painting and polishing on these Style 42s I got from Don for years and still haven't made any real progress, simply because I don't stick with it long enough. Kudos for your efforts.

BMW-CCA #441426
Old 06-15-2015, 07:56 AM
Speed is Zen

Stuff like this isn't so bad if you break it up over several days. The wetsanding takes 95% of the time, so I'm dragging them up into my living room 1 at a time, setting them up on a moving blanket and just sitting there cross legged with a nice cold beverage and the TV on in the background.

I would be far, far less enthusiastic if it was just 8+ hours out in the heat, which is what I'll be doing this weekend to knock out the paint correction.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:48 AM
Bimmerfest Founder

Mein Auto: Various
For site performance reasons this thread is now closed. Please use the new new version here - https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=849604
Closed Thread

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
rip e36 ot, sir chadley broke bimmerfest

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
Today's Posts Search