Need some guidance on my recent z4 purchase - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:20 AM

Mein Auto:
Need some guidance on my recent z4 purchase

Hello all,

Just purchased a 06 Z4 Si. First time bmw owner but I fell in love the moment I test drove one. I ended up getting one from CarMax with 40,000 miles on it. I have contacted a bmw dealership and am going to have them look it over this weekend. Just so happened my 2nd day owning/driving the check engine light came on and now my left blinker flashes quickly ( I'm guessing an issue with the bulb?) .. Anywho CarMax has a 30 day warranty on the vehicle but my question is should I hold off taking it back there until I have someone look at it from bmw? Not sure how big/small problem that is but I have 5 days to return the vehicle for a full refund if needed. Figured if I took it to carmax they would reset the check engine light to change the bulb (if that was the problem) which means that the bmw mechanic couldn't read a diagnostic due to the reset? (Again I am new to bmw's so that is my theory I put together so please help me on this).. So I guess what I am saying would it be best to keep check engine light on and have a bmw mechanic look at it prior to taking it back to CarMax to have issue resolved? Thanks so much for everyone's help in this. Such a great car to drive!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1425633590.849387.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	496016
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2015, 03:28 AM

Mein Auto: Z4M
Advise

Yes, I would let BMW read codes, check motor mount bracket bolts, make sure soft top works well and let them run the VIN# to give you service history for any issues previous owners might have had. Congrat's on your Z4.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 3.0
I would take it back to CarMax . Get the bulb replaced and have them check the codes. If the SES comes back on after that I would consider taking it to a BMW Dealership. I own a 2007 BMW Z4 si Coupe and the first time I floored the car it made the SES light come on. I reset the light myself and it has never come back on. That has been over a year now. Good luck .
Old 03-06-2015, 04:14 AM

Mein Auto: Z4
With fast flashing definitely a bulb problem and I agree that I would let BMW inspect and check on the codes. I would also have BMW check to make sure your drains for the top are clear and working properly! In Denver this check costs about 35$ and I believe is worth every penny. You can check past forum listings as to why this is important. I also have a 06 with 11000 miles on it. When I bought it last year I had TWO inspections done on it. I paid a premium price for it ($20000) and I didn't want to take chances! I hope you like it as much as I like mine! Good luck.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:43 AM
bmw addict

Mein Auto: e46 m3
Get yourself a BMW specific code scanner http://www.bavariantechnic.com/ and stay out of the BMW dealership unless you don't like money You need a turn signal bulb and if your not a DIY'er find a good independent mechanic that is familiar with BMW's. I think if you try though you'll find the Z4 is a pretty easy car to maintain yourself. Nice ride regardless

current rides:
09 ZR1
15 X5 50i
03 350z
13 E88 135i
15 RR sport
03 rc51
08 F450 Dually
17 ram 2500
RUNNING OUT OF GARAGE SPACE!!
Old 03-06-2015, 01:08 PM
From Beemers to Bimmers

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4
As you have a few days to return it I would take it to the dealer or your local Indy and have it checked over. If they find major problems then you would not be stuck with the car or Carmax could fix them. If they find everything is OK then you have spent some money for some piece of mind.

Marc
Old 03-08-2015, 06:20 AM
Meinkugelschmerzen

Mein Auto: 1983 320i 1998 540i Sport
Avoid BMW dealers like the plague. First, take the car back to CARMAX and give them the chance to put it right. Then find yourself an independent BMW repair shop with a good reputation. You might find one here: http://www.bimmershops.com
Old 03-09-2015, 01:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4si
I trust Carmax as much as any other dealer. They could clear an error and help you beyond the point of no return, so I'd opt for the independent mechanic option and see what they say. If they have apunch list of good to be fixed, you can take that back to Carmax. It's the safest bet.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 540
Did you get an extended warranty?
Old 03-09-2015, 02:28 PM

Mein Auto: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd
Your 5 days is up today. What did you end up doing?
Old 03-09-2015, 05:17 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 3.0si, '11 128CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatcher View Post
Get yourself a BMW specific code scanner http://www.bavariantechnic.com/ and stay out of the BMW dealership unless you don't like money You need a turn signal bulb and if your not a DIY'er find a good independent mechanic that is familiar with BMW's. I think if you try though you'll find the Z4 is a pretty easy car to maintain yourself. Nice ride regardless
Any of the big box parts stores will do a code read for free, and a high percentage of the time the generic code gives enough info to make at least a determination of how serious the fault is. Many times the generic code is correct.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:06 PM

Mein Auto:
Took it to a bmw mechanic (non dealer) and had it looked at. No issues he told me just to keep up with regular maintenance and suggested I go ahead and change the oil. He said it didn't necessarily need it but he said it's always a good idea as there is no idea how long it's been. She's a keeper my friends! One question though, I noticed an iPod connection in my glove box (the white cable that normally charges it).. The wire looks like it goes back into the dash (assuming into the radio). I tried hooking up an iPod to it and was unable to get it to work. Figured it could also be due to the fact my iPod is a little newer and that cable only may work for the brick iPods or older versions.. Is this something that came on the 06 models or was this possibly aftermarket? Trying to figure out the best scenario for playing music off of my phone or iPod. Anyone have any luck with any aftermarket aux connections or anything similar to that? I am probably going to copy this and post it into another post so this question doesn't get lost in this thread. Thanks everyone for the guidance!
Old 03-10-2015, 04:50 AM

Mein Auto: Z4
Try This!

Interesting about the iPod white connection. I have exactly the same car which I bought last year and the same connection in my glove box. When I hooked a nano up to it there was no sound-nothing! Took it to my radio expert and he said it was a iPod connector and to try my 6 year old iPod. When I plugged this in and tried my mode button on my radio it worked perfectly! I love it and consider it quite a bonus to have. My radio person said that nanos are funny and maybe this applies to brand new iPods. Try an older one and see if it works! They are available cheap on Craigslist or EBay. Good luck and enjoy your new baby.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
Today's Posts Search