BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2016 X5 - 50i - Oil Burn

8K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  johnnydee 
#1 · (Edited)
I bought a new 2016 X5 50i back in the summer of '16. Every 50-90 days I have to add up to 2 Quarts of Oil. The dealership continues to state that is within the allowable specs from BMW. This is BS, this isn't a 1982 Buick. This is an $85k luxury vehicle. My wife had an MB-AMG previously and I have a 2017 QX80, both with large V8 engines. Neither require engine oil, ever.

The last straw is my wife/daughter are travelling across our state and about 180 miles away from everywhere, the message pops up "Please stop driving immediately and add 2 Quarts of Oil". First off, she has no clue how to add it and now she is stranded waiting for AAA.

So I am getting no where with the dealership so I call BMW. They will not help as they state they back their dealerships. I asked for this quoted "acceptable level of oil burn" but no one can produce it. So I am stuck, any suggestions.

Only thing I do have control of is that we will not be purchasing another BMW anytime soon.

#2 ·
I bought a new 2016 X5 50i back in the summer of '16. Every 50-90 days I have to add up to 2 Quarts of Oil. The dealership continues to state that is within the allowable specs from BMW. This is BS, this isn't a 1982 Buick. This is an $85k luxury vehicle. My wife had an MB-AMG previously and I have a 2017 QX80, both with large V8 engines. Neither require engine oil, ever.

The last straw is my wife/daughter are travelling across our state and about 180 miles away from everywhere, the message pops up "Please stop driving immediately and add 2 Quarts of Oil". First off, she has no clue how to add it and now she is stranded waiting for AAA.

So I am getting no where with the dealership so I call BMW. They will not help as they state they back their dealerships. I asked for this quoted "acceptable level of oil burn" but no one can produce it. So I am stuck, any suggestions.

Only thing I do have control of is that we will not be purchasing another BMW anytime soon.
BMW assist should be able to help her unless you dont have that anymore for some reason. As far as the oil consumption, the 5 series V8 has the same engine and has known issues with oil consumption. Your only choice would be to take it to different dealership and see if they can help you work with BMW on it, or see if you can get a trade assist to trade the vehicle in on something else (a non V8 BMW).

You could also see if you could engage a lawyer about the 2 quarts of oil every 700 miles. That sounds excessive even from what I have read.

If your wife is anything like mine, once she is stuck there, without you, waiting for a tow because of an "oil issue", she wont trust that vehicle again, so you will be getting rid of it shortly in some form or fashion (lol).

BMW V8s are not very good... but the 6 cylinder is very good (and no consumption issues with that one).

#3 ·
Oil consumption issue is on all engine size....straight 6 or V8. Don’t really matter otherwise. To me I think of why and how your car would lost oil if there’s not a leaks in the engine components. I have the same with mine 2015. Leaks oil like you say 50-90 plus days and reason is again there’s a leak in your engine components part. Reason why dealer have you running around the bushes because it’s still probably cover under warranty of 4yr/50 miles which ever one come up first.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

#7 ·
Oil consumption issue is on all engine size....straight 6 or V8.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
I have had Zero oil consumption issues on 5 different 6 cylinder BMWs. No need to add oil in between dealer maintenance visits, which are 10-12k or once a year.

I have also read nothing about 6 cylinder BMW oil consumption issues... yours is the absolute first I have read on either here or bimmerpost on oil consumption for relatively new (as in 5 years or less old) BMW 6 cylinders, so I would heavily challenge your statement that it happens on both, and engine size doesnt matter.

#5 ·
Most if not all of the 4.4 V8s burn oil. If it***8217;s 2 quarts at least 1,500 miles, this is within BMW specs.

I carry 2 extra quarts with me (they fit with the spare tire), and it takes less than 2 minutes to fill in the event the light comes on. If I know I***8217;m going on a long trip, I just check the oil, and it will show how much I have to go before it***8217;s down too much. Often it just needs to add a quart, and this gives me another 750 miles.

#6 ·
Most if not all of the 4.4 V8s burn oil. If it's 2 quarts at least 1,500 miles, this is within BMW specs.

I carry 2 extra quarts with me (they fit with the spare tire), and it takes less than 2 minutes to fill in the event the light comes on. If I know I'm going on a long trip, I just check the oil, and it will show how much I have to go before it's down too much. Often it just needs to add a quart, and this gives me another 750 miles.
Definitely not all of them do. I have never had to add oil between changes on my 2015 X5 5.0 which now has 48,000 miles. It is my company car and I am due for another one when it hits 50,000 miles. I am really having second thoughts about getting another one, though, as maybe I was just really lucky with this time.

#16 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.