BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Who's got Bridgestone Driveguards?

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  stonex1 
#1 ·
Anyone change over to the driveguards in the last year or so?
Any feedback would be great.
Yes, I'm shopping for new rubber. :)

#3 ·
I have them on my 2014 X1 35i. I like them more than the OEM tires. They***8217;re just a bit less harsh and a little more buttoned down on rough roads. That said, I won***8217;t buy another vehicle with run flats going forward. The cost-benefit just doesn***8217;t work for me when one of the costs is poorer handling on rough roads.

James
Seattle, WA

#4 ·
Thanks for the feedback thus far.

I took a real hard look at ditching the run flats and going with a more traditional touring tire.
But with my geography, and driving destinations, it does make sense to keep a RFT. I bring a jack, mini 12v air compressor and repair kit on long trips.
Would rather not pack that stuff around on my daily routine trips around town and to the lake.

Bridgestone also has a Turanza EL450 RFT but they seem hard to get.
The driveguard should be available at my local Costco. The Michelin Primacy MXM4 also seems like an alternative.
Anyone have those and can provide feedback?

#5 · (Edited)
Does TireRack.com ship to Canada? Bummer if not. I buy all of my tires there. Yes, I'd go with the Bridgestone DriveGuards. They're better than the OEM and I haven't heard anyone else indicate there's much else out there.
Where in BC are you? My buddy from Toronto and I are doing a road trip / hiking trip in my X1 in September. Garibaldi/Black Tusk, Wells Gray, Jasper, Banff, Yoho, etc.

We did southern Utah a few years ago in the X1 and it was epic!
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1115825

-James
Seattle, WA

#6 ·
Does TireRack.com ship to Canada? Bummer if not. I buy all of my tires there. Yes, I'd go with the Bridgestone DriveGuards. They're better than the OEM and I haven't heard anyone else indicate there's much else out there.
Where in BC are you? My buddy from Toronto and I are doing a road trip / hiking trip in my X1 in September. Garibaldi/Black Tusk, Wells Gray, Jasper, Banff, Yoho, etc.

We did southern Utah a few years ago in the X1 and it was epic!

Utah road trip post here on Bimmerfest

-James
Seattle, WA
Tirerack does ship to Canada, but after shipping costs and exchange it's not really worth it. But good site for research.
I'm right smack in the middle of B.C. in a town called Prince George.
8 hours from a BMW dealer, so it helps to be a DIY'r. :)

That trip sounds awesome! The Rockies has some neat places and scenery. And the highway up from Vancouver through Whistler is fun. (hint, pack the gear in the X1 tight) :angel:

#9 ·
The X1 needed new tires this winter. In early summer, one of the run-flats got a flat, so we had it repaired (a shop actually was willing to patch it and repair it.... :dunno: I thought tire shops refuse to do that on run-flats). Anyways, we wound up going with a non-flat winter tire. The difference in ride quality is very, very noticeable. The X1 is much better at absorbing potholes and bumps and no shaking the car into oblivion. Very happy and will never go back to run-flats again. Unless you have a very specific need for run-flats, I'd suggest considering ditching them.

#14 ·
Michelin MXM4 ZP is good too

I hated my Pirelli runflats and did the same research and considered non runflats and even got a tire jack, wrench, tire repair kit and Slime compressor and goo package. Then I decided to play it safe since we do road trips to the desert and got runflats. The people who review the Driveguards seem to like them, but I have had back luck with Bridgestone (3 out of four defective tires with OEM tires on my E46 3 series) and I have always had great luck with Michelin's, so I got the ZP Michelins. So far, so good. They are firmer than Pilot a/s3s but way better than the Pirellis. The reviewers (at Tirerack) with BMWs like them, but those with Cadillacs do not. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.