NOx Sensor 10 year / 120k mile warranty for E70 M57 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners & Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners & Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 06-30-2017, 11:35 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Mini, 1 Vespa
NOx Sensor 10 year / 120k mile warranty for E70 M57

Received a letter from BMW about having the NOx sensors benefiting from 10 year / 120k mile coverage.

Good news as that was the last of the expensive components that seemed to fail regularly. With the new driveshafts that are part of the recall, the DEF tank extended warranty, and now NOx sensors BMW has stepped up and is covering the expensive somewhat common failures on that car. Now just need to hope that these parts fail before 120k miles on my car.

Just like with the DEF tanks, if you've paid for NOx replacements BMW will reimburse you with proper proof, regardless of who did the work.

Not sure if it applies to the 335d. If someone with a 335d got the letter, post here.

This was posted on E70 forum, but figured it was worth a thread in diesel specific forum.
2013 Cooper S
2007 650i - 6 speed
2002 330ci convertible - 5 speed

Past:
2012 X5 Diesel
2012 Countryman S All4 - 6 speed
2006 Cooper S - 6 speed
2006 330i - 6 speed
1997 328is - 5 speed
1991 318is - 5 speed
1988 635csi - 5 speed
1988 325i convertible - 5 speed
1969 2002 with tii and 5 speed conversions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2017, 01:25 PM

Mein Auto: 335d 2010, 430i GC 2018
Same here for the 335d
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMW NOx sensors warranty.pdf (49.4 KB, 186 views)
Old 06-01-2020, 09:55 AM

Mein Auto: M6 GC ZCP; '12 X5 Diesel
Just following up on this post. I pulled a P20ee code today. A quick online search indicates it's related to N0x Sensors.

Has anyone have experience getting a P20ee code fixed under this warranty?

Thanks
2013 bicycle (oily chain)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2020, 10:28 AM
Kinda officially welcomed

Mein Auto: E70 LCI 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
Just following up on this post. I pulled a P20ee code today. A quick online search indicates it's related to N0x Sensors.

Has anyone have experience getting a P20ee code fixed under this warranty?

Thanks

I got the P20EE codes yesterday and both my NOX sensors were replaced by BMW in March. The tech and I spoke and he let me know that the SCR was going to need replacement, and sure enough BMW doesn't warranty THAT. He also checked the metering unit, ran the tests for it etc etc..

I cleared the code again last night and kept driving

E39 528i/5 Sport
E28 535is
E84 X1 35ix M package
E38 740i Sport
E39 M5 LMB/Blk

Last edited by Nyc Dito; 06-01-2020 at 10:30 AM. Reason: added quote
Old 06-01-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc Dito View Post
I got the P20EE codes yesterday and both my NOX sensors were replaced by BMW in March. The tech and I spoke and he let me know that the SCR was going to need replacement, and sure enough BMW doesn't warranty THAT. He also checked the metering unit, ran the tests for it etc etc..

I cleared the code again last night and kept driving
Thanks for the reply. Your March service related to the sensors, what's this for P20ee? If so was it covered under warranty?
Old 06-01-2020, 12:15 PM
Kinda officially welcomed

Mein Auto: E70 LCI 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
Thanks for the reply. Your March service related to the sensors, what's this for P20ee? If so was it covered under warranty?
No problem Ace!

Looking back on my notes, I had P20EE/P204F (Torque App). And 'Bimmer tool' app gave me 42fc/4d18/4990. I knew that these were related to the emissions system and was able to let my local BMW (we have relationship) take it in for warranty (under 120k). I was mistaken though because at the time I assumed the SCR was covered and it was not. I think BMW is being slick by not covering the SCR.

Another X5D buddy of mine received P20EE two weeks ago and it came back again after he warrantied the NOX sensors as well.

My X5D has already had fresh DEF added as some theorize this may trigger the codes, has had the active tank replaced and I've forced regens here and there to keep those levels down. It also does the regens on its own. My buddy has done the same, almost like his X was following mine haha

So from what my buddy and I concluded from the P20EE is that in the end, for us, the SCR needs to be replaced. According to whats already been done under warranty and by us, it is still popping up. My current mileage is 113k and he is at 87k.

Now, that being said, I already had a "delete kit" that I purchased on sale a couple of months ago and was just waiting for the time I actually "needed" to replace the SCR and that seems like it will be soon. In all honesty I would have preferred to keep everything intact, but knowing that these issues might pop up again in another 60-100k miles is a deal breaker for me. I plan to keep my X for a while and dont want to keep throwing money into the original emission system. I drive roughly 12-18k miles a year.

The X runs great aside from that, and I haven't had any major issues with this vehicle

E39 528i/5 Sport
E28 535is
E84 X1 35ix M package
E38 740i Sport
E39 M5 LMB/Blk
Old 06-01-2020, 01:47 PM

Mein Auto: 335d 2010, 430i GC 2018
Is the OBD code P20EE the same as BMW code 4D16?

I had codes 4D16 "SCR system efficiency" and 4D35 "Reducing agent dosing valve, plausibility" not long after the recall service for the 2 NoX sensors.
I was eventually able to get rid of it. Here are the steps:
-- Clean the metering valve, purged both DEF tanks and put new DEF. Cleared codes and reset adaptation with my Foxwell NT510. 4D16 code usually come back 2 weeks later. Did the clearing code and reset adaptation procedure few more time and 4D16 always come back few weeks later.
-- 11 months later, I got "Exhaust Diff Pressure Sensor" code 4D03. Replaced the sensor (from RockAuto). The new sensor seems to have fixed the 4D16 and 4D03 code. I have not seen it in the past 5 months.

Last edited by montr; 06-01-2020 at 03:01 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc Dito View Post
No problem Ace!

Looking back on my notes, I had P20EE/P204F (Torque App). And 'Bimmer tool' app gave me 42fc/4d18/4990. I knew that these were related to the emissions system and was able to let my local BMW (we have relationship) take it in for warranty (under 120k). I was mistaken though because at the time I assumed the SCR was covered and it was not. I think BMW is being slick by not covering the SCR.

Another X5D buddy of mine received P20EE two weeks ago and it came back again after he warrantied the NOX sensors as well.

My X5D has already had fresh DEF added as some theorize this may trigger the codes, has had the active tank replaced and I've forced regens here and there to keep those levels down. It also does the regens on its own. My buddy has done the same, almost like his X was following mine haha

So from what my buddy and I concluded from the P20EE is that in the end, for us, the SCR needs to be replaced. According to whats already been done under warranty and by us, it is still popping up. My current mileage is 113k and he is at 87k.

Now, that being said, I already had a "delete kit" that I purchased on sale a couple of months ago and was just waiting for the time I actually "needed" to replace the SCR and that seems like it will be soon. In all honesty I would have preferred to keep everything intact, but knowing that these issues might pop up again in another 60-100k miles is a deal breaker for me. I plan to keep my X for a while and dont want to keep throwing money into the original emission system. I drive roughly 12-18k miles a year.

The X runs great aside from that, and I haven't had any major issues with this vehicle
Thanks again for the reply. I am in a similar situation.

I have 90,000 mi on my 2012. By now every single diesel emissions equipment has been replaced once. You name it, and it's been replaced. Most recovered under CPO or original warranties. This will be my first attempt at the extended parts warranty.

I tested my thermostat a month ago. There were no problems with the thermostat, and it raised the temperatures appropriately during the correct conditions.

My last def refilled was both the active and passive tanks, but was at least 5 to 6 months ago.

My only other code that pops up randomly is related to glow plugs. The controller and the plugs have been completely replaced once by BMW already at around the 60,000 mi range.

Based on experiences of your friend and you, I'm going to take this into the dealership as it has a high possibility of getting a warranty repair. Being in California, as I have to pass emissions test soon, I have an incentive to get the dealership to fix it instead of ignoring or doing a delete.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 06-01-2020 at 02:00 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners & Enthusiasts
Today's Posts Search