Test drove 2014 535xi - Page 3 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)

F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
The sixth generation of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) was produced from 2011 - 2016 with LCI updates arriving in 2014. In the US BMW offered a hatchback 5 Series Gran Truismo (F07) and the rest of the world also go a Station Wagon/Touring version F11.

Old 06-29-2017, 05:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 07 525xi E60 N52 automati
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvgaman View Post
I bought my CPO from a BMW dealership in PA and arranged my own shipping to GA for $450. strongly susgested you go for CPO if buying used BMW. good luck!
Oh that's the only way I would buy on is a CPO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2017, 03:24 PM

Mein Auto: BMW F10 535i XDrive
Let me add something here,
There is a huge difference btw the RWD and the AWD.
I test drove the new 540i both the sDrive and xDrive 2 months ago during the last BMW Ultimate driving Experience in New Jersey. On the day i went was a raining day and i can tell you this was night and day comparison btw the two. on the xDrive, you almost couldn't tell the road was wet, everything went out smooth, and no such thing as unnecessary wheel spin. We were driving this cars as hard as possible, so even though you don't do that in normal day driving, there are usually a few times in normal drive where you will need to brake hard and accelerate immediately, which was what we were doing on the tracks.
My lap time was way better on the xDrive though i didn't record the time, but steering and handling just felt i was driving a different car.
I would definitely recommend a AWD to everyone except you live in areas where there's no rain.
Not that there's anything wrong with RWD, but will advise you test both, but you will surprised how safe you will be in the AWD
Old 07-04-2017, 07:14 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2011 528i RWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazingdon View Post
Let me add something here,
There is a huge difference btw the RWD and the AWD.
I test drove the new 540i both the sDrive and xDrive 2 months ago during the last BMW Ultimate driving Experience in New Jersey. On the day i went was a raining day and i can tell you this was night and day comparison btw the two. on the xDrive, you almost couldn't tell the road was wet, everything went out smooth, and no such thing as unnecessary wheel spin. We were driving this cars as hard as possible, so even though you don't do that in normal day driving, there are usually a few times in normal drive where you will need to brake hard and accelerate immediately, which was what we were doing on the tracks.
My lap time was way better on the xDrive though i didn't record the time, but steering and handling just felt i was driving a different car.
I would definitely recommend a AWD to everyone except you live in areas where there's no rain.
Not that there's anything wrong with RWD, but will advise you test both, but you will surprised how safe you will be in the AWD
So if I read your post correctly, xDrive is more useful on a wet track then RWD? How many 5 series owners will be using their car for a wet autocross? I do not see how such a comparison pertains to average street driving conditions, where you wouldn't even be able to tell them apart in normal driving.

I know I've been pushing the RWD envelope far too much, but people need to understand that the RWD chassis has drastically evolved from what your teenage years 1970's muscle car behaved like.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10-N52 View Post
So if I read your post correctly, xDrive is more useful on a wet track then RWD? How many 5 series owners will be using their car for a wet autocross? I do not see how such a comparison pertains to average street driving conditions, where you wouldn't even be able to tell them apart in normal driving.

I know I've been pushing the RWD envelope far too much, but people need to understand that the RWD chassis has drastically evolved from what your teenage years 1970's muscle car behaved like.
And see that is what my mind set is. The old style light ass RWD cars from the old years. And that's what imntrying to figure out here. How much of a difference is there???? All I keep hearing is a argument about to up roar. I'm not looking for a fight of witch of the two are better. I'm just looking for people's opinions. Everyone has them just like assholes. I own a xdrive 525 E60 now and I love it. I want the 535 msport but I'm on the fence with xdrive or RWD. I want the 704 suspension and I know they have larger sway bars and everything else. But the xdrive you have the comfort of not having to worry about that one ****ed up weather day where you actually need it. But that ONE day to me doesn't weight out to the other 364 days lol. I think what I'm gonna do is if I find one with the set up I want the options i want whatever it is I'm gonna jump on it. If I end up with xdrive then I put the KW3 coil overs.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknice91303 View Post
And see that is what my mind set is. The old style light ass RWD cars from the old years. And that's what imntrying to figure out here. How much of a difference is there???? All I keep hearing is a argument about to up roar. I'm not looking for a fight of witch of the two are better. I'm just looking for people's opinions. Everyone has them just like assholes. I own a xdrive 525 E60 now and I love it. I want the 535 msport but I'm on the fence with xdrive or RWD. I want the 704 suspension and I know they have larger sway bars and everything else. But the xdrive you have the comfort of not having to worry about that one ****ed up weather day where you actually need it. But that ONE day to me doesn't weight out to the other 364 days lol. I think what I'm gonna do is if I find one with the set up I want the options i want whatever it is I'm gonna jump on it. If I end up with xdrive then I put the KW3 coil overs.

Our opinions mean absolutely jack s*it until you get out there and test drive a RWD BMW. If you're patient, you'll find one. If you don't, look into the 2011 528i (RWD only) so you can at least get an idea.

Times have changed. RWD BMW's have always been safe and good handling cars, especially the newer ones. whoever said that RWD feels exactly like xdrive up until 3-4 inches of snow is absolutely right.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Our opinions mean absolutely jack s*it until you get out there and test drive a RWD BMW. If you're patient, you'll find one. If you don't, look into the 2011 528i (RWD only) so you can at least get an idea.

Times have changed. RWD BMW's have always been safe and good handling cars, especially the newer ones. whoever said that RWD feels exactly like xdrive up until 3-4 inches of snow is absolutely right.
See that's what I'm talking about. A couple people have told me if you KNOW How to drive a RWD and KNOW How to handle it with a good set of snow tires you will be fine in the little bit of snow driving that I MIGHT do.... plus without the xdrive it's less stuff to go wrong something less to worry about fixing lol

Old 07-04-2017, 08:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
See that's what I'm talking about. A couple people have told me if you KNOW How to drive a RWD and KNOW How to handle it with a good set of snow tires you will be fine in the little bit of snow driving that I MIGHT do.... plus without the xdrive it's less stuff to go wrong something less to worry about fixing lol

In my experience, I drove in full on snow falls (not extremely deep, but much more then just "light snow") I didn't have very wide winters, only 225 and they were certainly not the best snow tires you can find. And yet I still had zero issues. The car was always planted, controllable and actually inspired a lot of confidence when driving fast. It stopped and steered excellent (far superior in the snow to ANY FWD car I've ever experienced) and it drifted spectacularly.

Yes, you need experience with controlling RWD and you need to be careful with the first short first gear or you're gonna be spinning tires off the line.

Not only did I not encounter any issues commuting through fairly deep snow, but it was A LOT of fun. I was constantly looking forward to snow days last winter just so I can go drifting...

These things drive nothing like that old 1970's piece of **** you are picturing in your head. Now that you've gotten opinions from people who have experienced RWD in the snow, the next step for you is to try it yourself. You don't know what you will like better until you get first hand experience.

Cheers
Old 07-05-2017, 02:06 AM

Quote:
In my experience, I drove in full on snow falls (not extremely deep, but much more then just "light snow") I didn't have very wide winters, only 225 and they were certainly not the best snow tires you can find. And yet I still had zero issues. The car was always planted, controllable and actually inspired a lot of confidence when driving fast. It stopped and steered excellent (far superior in the snow to ANY FWD car I've ever experienced) and it drifted spectacularly.

Yes, you need experience with controlling RWD and you need to be careful with the first short first gear or you're gonna be spinning tires off the line.

Not only did I not encounter any issues commuting through fairly deep snow, but it was A LOT of fun. I was constantly looking forward to snow days last winter just so I can go drifting...

These things drive nothing like that old 1970's piece of **** you are picturing in your head. Now that you've gotten opinions from people who have experienced RWD in the snow, the next step for you is to try it yourself. You don't know what you will like better until you get first hand experience.

Cheers
Yeah I gotta find a RWD one near me this coming fall and schedule a test drive. Thanks.

Old 07-05-2017, 07:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 535i xDrive
RWD is all good until you get into a combination of snow and hilly exit ramp. :-). For example, my friend and i tried to get his 2015 535 M sport off the interstate I-75 highway when it snow in Atlanta a few years back. We gave up and left it there until the tow truck came the next morning after the snow. Needless to say, i bought a 535i xdrive a few months after that lesson.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvgaman View Post
RWD is all good until you get into a combination of snow and hilly exit ramp. :-). For example, my friend and i tried to get his 2015 535 M sport off the interstate I-75 highway when it snow in Atlanta a few years back. We gave up and left it there until the tow truck came the next morning after the snow. Needless to say, i bought a 535i xdrive a few months after that lesson.
Yeah see in CT winter's COULD be harsh. But I work for state high way maintenance so I'm in b4 snow falls and out when the roads are all clear. So idk if it's worth the 1 or 2 times I might ACTUALLY run into a jam.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:48 PM

Mein Auto: BMW F10 535i XDrive
Quote:

lol! How many BMW drivers will be using their cars for wet autocross? Have you seen how the average BMW driver drives on the road? Maybe not particular to 5/6/7 Series drivers, but average every 2-4 Series and almost all Ms including X5(maybe the worst of all, sons of bitches always cut me off, don't know why ) usually drive like they stole the car. There's a reason there's speed limit, road signs and warning signs all over the place. Some drivers forget or choose to ignore those warnings. Your aggressive driving on normal dry roads will be more difficult on the wet roads if you are not a pro, there's a high tendency for you to oversteer when driving aggressive in RWD, AWD kind of helps you out on that.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:47 PM

Mein Auto: 535iX M-Sport
Quote:
I agree: unless your driving very agressivly on wet surfaces (where X-Drive is better) "you wouldn't be able to tell them apart in normal driving."

The 0-60 time for the X-drive is quicker. Traction/control on wet surface is better and in normal driving you can't tell the difference . . . Yep, I agree.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-F View Post
I agree: unless your driving very agressivly on wet surfaces (where X-Drive is better) "you wouldn't be able to tell them apart in normal driving."

The 0-60 time for the X-drive is quicker. Traction/control on wet surface is better and in normal driving you can't tell the difference . . . Yep, I agree.
Well I'm a "normal" type of driver. There are times I like to get up on it and hammer down. But I would say 90% of the time I'm doing speed limit or maybe 5mph over. Highway I'm usually between 70-80 all the way unless I get that opening and I know there isn't a cop around I will open her up and clear her throat out so to say. I'm more towards the RWD because of the 704 suspension and I won't have to worry about a stupid sensor going to shut down my xdrive and run me a bunch of money. Like I have said. A good set of snow tires for winter in stock rims and I will be good. I do appreciate all the replys here guys. Anyone have the 2014 535i msport and wish to chime in on how the 704 suspension is and if it's worth keeping it or swapping for the KW3?

Old 07-05-2017, 07:57 PM

Mein Auto:
If you are a play it safe driver, why get all the toys meant to enhance performance?

My awd has come in handy on steep curves, wet weather and snow.
I admittedly drive fast and aggressive. The awd has kept up nicely.

Let's stop pretending that newer performance cars have not been going awd lately. They see the potential. So did Audi. A looong time ago.
Give it a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 07-05-2017, 08:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i M Sport
Quote:
.... Anyone have the 2014 535i msport and wish to chime in on how the 704 suspension is and if it's worth keeping it or swapping for the KW3?

We've got a 2012 base 535i and a '14 535i m-sport with the 704 suspension. It actually is night and day. I'm completely satisfied with the 704 suspension. I avoided the DHP as all I saw was $$$$$$$ when something will fail. I plan on keeping the cars a loooooong time.

Mike
2014 535i M Sport, Carbon Black/Black (mine)
2012 535i, Dark Graphite II/Oyster (wife's)
Joshua 24:15; Phil 4:13
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f10-535i-lim/

Last edited by ezaircon4jc; 07-05-2017 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:13 PM
///Member

Mein Auto: 2014 335i xDrive
Quote:

Cheers
*THAN*

1) You don't want wider winter tires, narrower are recommended for traction....coming from such an "RWD Enthusiast" I'd think you would know that.

2) Being inspired with confidence to drive fast in the snow is not exactly a selling point but rather a "I hope I'm never on the same road or in front of you on that road" point.

3) Congratulations, you like your RWD, you've made your point all too many times on it. Now let OP decide.

Quote:
Well I'm a "normal" type of driver. There are times I like to get up on it and hammer down. But I would say 90% of the time I'm doing speed limit or maybe 5mph over. Highway I'm usually between 70-80 all the way unless I get that opening and I know there isn't a cop around I will open her up and clear her throat out so to say. I'm more towards the RWD because of the 704 suspension and I won't have to worry about a stupid sensor going to shut down my xdrive and run me a bunch of money. Like I have said. A good set of snow tires for winter in stock rims and I will be good. I do appreciate all the replys here guys. Anyone have the 2014 535i msport and wish to chime in on how the 704 suspension is and if it's worth keeping it or swapping for the KW3?

To OP - If you're a normal type of driver, why worry about not having awd. You'll always feel very stable, no need to get snow tires (however if you want to put them on your car becomes a tank), and the difference with the suspension will be nearly unnoticeable during your daily driving.

'14 Porsche 911 Turbo S, Jet Black Metallic, Leather interior in Black/Bordeaux Red, Sport Chrono

'14 BMW 335i xDrive Sport Line, Jet Black, Black int, Premium / Cold Weather / Nav Pkg - MPPK/MPE

'16 BMW X1 xDrive28i, Glacier Silver Metallic, Black int, Premium / Cold Weather / Luxury Pkg

RETIRED:
'13 BMW 328i xDrive Sport Line, Jet Black, Black int, Premium / Cold Weather / Nav Pkg

SOLD:
'10 328i xDrive, Jet Black

'07 328xi, Black Sapphire Metallic

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
Today's Posts Search