The NEWEST official E36 OT Thread!! - Page 319 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 06-16-2018, 06:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 3.0si, '11 128CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
I worked 4 ten-hour days at the printing plant back 1974-1981. The last year I was there I moved to plant maintenence after running a press for several years. The maintenance job was 5 eights, second shift. I was stuck with keeping 15 printing presses, 9 collators, two huge air compressors, and 11 air conditioning units going, plus doing all the wiring and plumbing, and anything else the bosses could think of. I still haven't figured out what the first shift guy did. I hated it. Then the printing plant got sold, and the new owners "trimmed the fat", as they called it. Laid off the least senior employee in each department. 17 of us got the boot, one of which had been there 17 years. Two positives came from this: I got to see the first shift guy panic when he realized he was going to actually have to work when I was gone, and it was the start of my 28 years in the machinist trade.
LOL, he waited for your shift to start!

Shift work can be really great or really suck. Just depends on the shift, the work, and the management. Best off shift I ever worked was 8pm to 4 am. The building we were in had almost no windows so once you were in you didn't know whether is was night or day out. It was like being on a regular day shift except it was dark when we went out for lunch at 12. Getting out a 4 am gave enough time to get home and get in bed while it was still dark. I could sleep to noon and then if I wanted to go play nine holes or go to Home Depot it was great as everyone else was at work.

Worst was when we were on conventional shifts and I was doing first shift. We had a secure area and one of three of us who had the right clearance had to be on site for the secure area to be opened. We were doing a joint project with a small company at their site and doing 24x7. The other two secure area managers worked for the partner company and were frequently no shows. When that happened I worked my shift then the next, then the next, then mine. A couple times that cycle went 3 days and I napped in the secure area.

Last edited by dc_wright; 06-16-2018 at 06:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2018, 08:13 PM
D'oh, You Kids!

Mein Auto: E24x2,E36x3,E30x2, F150
Early at the printing plant I worked a rotating shift between second and third shift. 2-10 and 10-6. THAT was miserable. It didn't last long before we went to the 4 day 10 hour schedule.

The guy that had the day shift maintenance job is STILL THERE. He's 5 years younger than me, so getting close to retirement. He could look busier than any three people and not do a blasted thing. He fell off a ladder when I was working maintenance, supposedly banged up his knee too bad to work. He was off work 31 days. I worked 18 hour shifts the whole time, and was on call the other 6. And what was poor day shift guy doing? In bed with his leg elevated? Nope. He went fishing at the municipal pier every day, walking the 200 yards to the end of it to fish for gar. Yeah, he was really hurt.

Anyone else watching Le Mans?
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot
Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, Bimmerfest Site Moderator
BMW-CCA #441426

1993 325is M3 clone"Ashlyn"; 1993 325is "Elvira"; 1985 635CSi "Katja"; 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"; 1987 325is "Odette";1995 318is"Bebe "; 1985 325e "Hazel Ann"

Old 06-16-2018, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Early at the printing plant I worked a rotating shift between second and third shift. 2-10 and 10-6. THAT was miserable. It didn't last long before we went to the 4 day 10 hour schedule.

The guy that had the day shift maintenance job is STILL THERE. He's 5 years younger than me, so getting close to retirement. He could look busier than any three people and not do a blasted thing. He fell off a ladder when I was working maintenance, supposedly banged up his knee too bad to work. He was off work 31 days. I worked 18 hour shifts the whole time, and was on call the other 6. And what was poor day shift guy doing? In bed with his leg elevated? Nope. He went fishing at the municipal pier every day, walking the 200 yards to the end of it to fish for gar. Yeah, he was really hurt.

Anyone else watching Le Mans?
I've been switching back and forth. BMWs were doing good for a while but then fell back...
Old 06-16-2018, 10:17 PM
D'oh, You Kids!

One BMW M8 crashed pretty heavily a while ago. Spun and backed into the wall. Interview a short time later the driver claimed he hit fluid dropped by another car. Since there were two other spin-outs on the same lap ahead of him, there's probably a lot of truth to his claim.
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot
BMW-CCA #441426

1993 325is M3 clone"Ashlyn"; 1993 325is "Elvira"; 1985 635CSi "Katja"; 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"; 1987 325is "Odette";1995 318is"Bebe "; 1985 325e "Hazel Ann"

Old 06-17-2018, 04:14 AM

Mein Auto: 1994 BMW 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
Getting used to the 4 day work week takes an adjustment. It's nice to have a 3 day weekend but you can't go hard all 3 days or it catches up to you during the work week. It will be nice to have some stability in work location for a bit though. Makes it a lot easier to get into a routine.

Hopefully you'll get some good benefit from joining the union. I've seen both the upside and downside. If NJ was a right to work state you'd get the union wage but wouldn't have to join.

Yeah itís something new to me, the good news is I leave and come home at the same time everyday, precious jobs could run until sunlight was out, sure got paid some extra but was still a low pay and no benefits whatsoever.
As for the 3 day weekend Iím keeping busy, remember I have my own company so doing my jobs in the afternoons and weekends, also got some friends that call me over when Iím low on my own work.
Thatís one thing my peers have been open and honest about the downside of being union, as for me itís worth it with all the benefits. One of the plus is whatever company they send me to and they like how I work they keep me around, and I make sure I do that, I used to bust my behind before but donít have to anymore, I keep it steady I keep it moving, I donít stand around. Not going to be the guy people always think is union that only sweeps or simply watches, I lucked out on the first job and my shop Stewart has been helpful and willing to answer questions, the other trades at the job are chill and as long as youíre courteous to them and make small talk once in a while during break itís all good, weíre all getting along.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

1994 BMW 325is "Feldt" w/Turner Motorsports chip
Old 06-17-2018, 04:21 AM

Also happy Fatherís Day guys

My girlfriend calls me papi, do I qualify?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

Old 06-17-2018, 09:43 AM
D'oh, You Kids!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliger7gz View Post
Also happy Fatherís Day guys

My girlfriend calls me papi, do I qualify?
She know something you don't (yet)?
BMW-CCA #441426

Old 06-17-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
One BMW M8 crashed pretty heavily a while ago. Spun and backed into the wall. Interview a short time later the driver claimed he hit fluid dropped by another car. Since there were two other spin-outs on the same lap ahead of him, there's probably a lot of truth to his claim.
Was watching when that happened. The way it just snapped around, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt also. Either something on the track or something broke, but in either case didn't look like driver error. At that time of day(night?) the track workers can't really see if there's anything been put down and the drivers can't either. You'd have to hope to see someone ahead of you hit and give you some clue it was there.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:22 AM

Quote:
She know something you don't (yet)?

as much as I want kids it ainít mine

Jk jk, no babies on the way, not until weíre married which will be soon

Old 06-23-2018, 01:32 PM
Back in the game

Mein Auto: 1997 m3
Anyone know if oem water pump impellers came in metal? Asking for a friend ***x1f609;

The shot heard 'round the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
That presenter is getting waaay too worked up over a tarted up VW Golf.

C:\>Sent from my 386 using MS-DOS__
Old 06-24-2018, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnserioJose View Post
Anyone know if oem water pump impellers came in metal? Asking for a friend ***x1f609;

Nope! E36 OEM were plastic. There are plenty of metal impeller after market units available. I ran a Graf brand with no issues.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:48 AM
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnserioJose View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
Nope! E36 OEM were plastic. There are plenty of metal impeller after market units available. I ran a Graf brand with no issues.
Actually, BMW did install water pumps with metal impellers later in the E36 production run. Here is a photo of the original water pump I removed from my car many years ago. It has BMW roundels on it, with "BMW" stamped in the impeller, too (12 o'clock position). My car has an assembly date of 02/1998, and the impeller has a date code of 1997. My understanding, which could be inaccurate, is that BMW first used plastic impellers, but had so much trouble with them that they switched to metal impellers. They later developed a "plastic composite" impeller which was much more robust compared to the original plastic design.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild

Last edited by ZeGerman; 06-24-2018 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:13 PM
Back in the game

Mein Auto: 1997 m3
Don... Karl...hiya!

I knew y'all would know the answer. I'm 70% done with my cooling overhaul and the question popped into my head as I pulled the old stuff out. My 06/97 m3 had a water pump similar to Karl's photo. Stewart pump going in!

Hope all is well with the old OT regulars (and the new OT regulars).

The shot heard 'round the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
That presenter is getting waaay too worked up over a tarted up VW Golf.

C:\>Sent from my 386 using MS-DOS__
Old 06-26-2018, 11:56 AM

Mein Auto: E93,E36 M3,E39,E46
Today was one of those mornings that I was partially awake from 5:30 and my eye kept twitching at the alarm clock way before it was ready to ring so I decided to get up and do something......
......10 minutes and a few hooligan downshifts later I found myself driving against the cool sunrise enjoying the empty streets in that notoriously naughty one...

.....6:15 I was back home just in time to wake up the twins for summer school as I watched the garage door slowly close with a big grin on my mug....

....funny thing is when Mrs D got up at around that time, she was wondering why the E93 was in the street (it's always parked in front of the M3 for practical purposes as I daily the E93) ...but I consciously failed to inform her on my early morning shenanigans.

Magnum, this is a private line. Clear off..
Old 07-05-2018, 11:39 AM
Insane in the membrane!

Mein Auto: 1996 328iS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
Actually, BMW did install water pumps with metal impellers later in the E36 production run. Here is a photo of the original water pump I removed from my car many years ago. It has BMW roundels on it, with "BMW" stamped in the impeller, too (12 o'clock position). My car has an assembly date of 02/1998, and the impeller has a date code of 1997. My understanding, which could be inaccurate, is that BMW first used plastic impellers, but had so much trouble with them that they switched to metal impellers. They later developed a "plastic composite" impeller which was much more robust compared to the original plastic design.

This was also my understanding.

1996 328iS OEM Frankenstein
Old 07-05-2018, 11:40 AM
Insane in the membrane!

Mein Auto: 1996 328iS
Quote:
Originally Posted by southpark11235 View Post
One of the legs snapped off the truck latch and the sheet metal on the truck lid is tearing. I already replaced the latch and made a metal plate to reinforce the lid. It worked fine up util about a month ago when something went out of adjustment and the truck would not close. As a temp fix I just closed the truck without the plate but I need put the plate back so the lid does not tear.
I seem to remember a FB group who had on there someone who was selling plates meant to fix that, I think you could get them with their company name or BMW or something, you ever hear of those?

EDIT: Found it, http://dtpsales.tictail.com/product/...orcement-plate

1996 328iS OEM Frankenstein

Last edited by dwonda; 07-05-2018 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:42 AM
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwonda View Post
I seem to remember a FB group who had on there someone who was selling plates meant to fix that, I think you could get them with their company name or BMW or something, you ever hear of those?

I recall reading that somewhere, too.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 07-05-2018, 08:00 PM
Come at ///M3

Send a message via AIM to jayjaya29
Mein Auto: 95 M3
This guy sells a plate now to fix this issue:

https://www.msportparts.com/collecti...-reinforcement
Old 07-06-2018, 05:34 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 323is
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwonda View Post

I know about those plates. I based my design on those plates.

ďWe got about ten minutes before this entire county is up in flames. If you want to live, youíd better step on the gas! Oh wait is this a Tesla? Sh!t! Well, step on the prissy pedal, we're going to die!Ē Ė Cartman
Old 07-15-2018, 10:57 AM
D'oh, You Kids!

Who else is watching Goodwood? Something I don't understand....I've seen car after car having to slow down drastically because the car/driver sent down the course ahead of them were driving like they were looking for a picnic spot. Obviously capable of more speed, yet they slowed the following car to a crawl. One guy in a Ferrari just threw his hands up when he had to get on the brakes about 3/4ths of the way down the course because a touring car driver ahead of him was crawling along, waving to the crowd!
BMW-CCA #441426

Last edited by hornhospital; 07-15-2018 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:42 AM

Yeah I've been watching on and off all day....such a unique type of event and celebration of cars and speed. I absolutely love it. You get a chance to see old and new all together....
I too noticed the traffic issue occurring on occasion. The way I understand it is that the cars are let off at 30 sec intervals because there are something like 600 cars driving that 1.6 mile route. Apparently the fastest run this year is going to be for the first time ever achieved by a EV, albeit a high performance purpose built prototype in the shape of a Volkswagen none the less.

Ken did you see the fastest ever E36 with that F1 engine..?...What a monster.

Bimmerfest mobile app

Last edited by Dio///M; 07-15-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:44 AM

Bimmerfest mobile app

Last edited by Dio///M; 07-15-2018 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:04 PM
D'oh, You Kids!

Thanks for that! I missed that live. That's some impressive driving with that much power.
BMW-CCA #441426

Old 07-29-2018, 12:39 AM

Driver's seat in #34 BMW M6 leading the race LIVE at SPA GT....
There's also another M6 in 4th place.

Magnum this is a private line...clear off!

Last edited by Dio///M; 07-29-2018 at 12:52 AM.
Old 07-29-2018, 12:53 AM

The race itself....6 hours left.

Magnum this is a private line...clear off!

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
damn you chad!

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
Today's Posts Search