Should I return to the fold? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)

F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
F80 BMW M3 sedan, F82 BMW M4 coupe and F83 M4 convertible forum. This 5th generation M3 and all new M4 features a 3.0 liter twin turbo engine (engine code S55) 425hp and 406lbs of torque! Heavy use of light weight materials makes this generation lighter and faster then the outgoing E9x M3.

Old 08-01-2018, 04:18 PM
Is this thing on?

Mein Auto: 2015 R1200R, 2016 ATS-V
Should I return to the fold?

So yeah, another post about a "lapsed Bimmer-head" but hoping that you chaps can help me with a few questions LOL.

Let's preface all of this with a bit of history. I've had several Bimmers (and Beamers) including an E90 M3 sedan that I loved but found to be pretty wearing as a daily driver... at which point I looked elsewhere for a bit. In the meantime I've had an Infiniti Q50S Hybrid (uh... yeah that wasn't a great move) and currently happily tooling around St. Louis in a bright blue Cadillac ATS-V (with a stick, of course!!)

I lease the ATS-V and I'm in the countdown period to end of lease. Yeah, EOL isn't actually for another year but I'm starting to look seriously at my options again, and of course the M4 has come up. My V is a coupe, and these days as an empty-nester I have no particular desire for a sedan... so yeah there we are.

However, the wrinkle in the works here is that before I bought my V I did actually test drive an M4... for a week (yay Turo!) in California. There was a lot I liked about it, but I didn't love it like my older Bimmers... I found it too soft and "squidgy" around the middle. Granted some of it was that it was a 'vert instead of a coupe so it was less ridgid... but the car didn't set my heart racing even though I was happily cruising around the redwoods in Northern Cali and down through Napa where I may have imbibed more wine than was probably good for me. In the end though I bought the V because by every metric I could find I just found it a better car. I'll save my review of the V for another time because there are downsides... but 2 years in it's still a damned good car I plan to bring to the Woodward Dream Cruise coming up in Detroit.

Anyway, I came back in part because I want to give the M4 another chance. In particular I want to get more details from people here about the LCI refresh; the 'vert I drove was pre-LCI and I was curious if there were suspension changes to the M4 that might tighten the driving up a bit? Also, is the steering any better? Am I going to be happy with the M4 particularly considering it'll be last model year?

Also, anyone know when final orders are going in for the M4? I am probably planning to do an ED if I do decide on the M4, either in July or in September... but pretty sure that if I do go Sept then it'll be literally end of the line for the M4... is that correct or do we think that EOO is going to come earlier?

At the end of the day I am waiting on a new M4 being at the dealership to take a test drive. I did drive an M3 about a week and a half ago and I found it really good but wasn't able to really drive it as well as I would've liked (shortened test drive). A sales guy at the dealership is letting me know when an M4 is on the lot that can be test driven as right now they just don't have any (though expecting one in a few weeks).

Other contenders include the M2 (though the new Competition is not exciting me quite as much because I find the suspension awfully harsh for daily driver duty) and the RS5. The latter I got to drive around the same time and was highly impressed with the car... slightly less so at the price... and let's just say the lease rates we see on RS5's right now are... less than optimal?

So thoughts, chaps... I have always respected the opinions of the people here... should the M4 be on my short list?
2012 BMW 135i - Deep Sea Blue / Terracotta / DCT *SOLD*
2012 BMW K1600GT - Vermillion Red Metallic - *SOLD*
2008 BMW E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Silver / 6MT - *SOLD*

http://www.driveblog.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2018, 01:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M3, Toyota Land Cruiser
I'm in a similar boat. Just logged in for the first time in a long time because I'm about to FINALLY say goodbye to my 2005 330i (original owner). She's been such a great vehicle for so long and it's a low mileage car (92K miles in 13 years!) but it's time to move on. On my short list is the M3 and I'm just bringing myself up to speed on the current generation and deciding whether to seriously look at a 2019 or perhaps wait until 2020 as I think that will be a major, generational change, correct? (Shows you how far behind I am). In any case, I didn't want to start a new thread quite yet but suffice to say I'll be watching this one.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:43 PM

Mein Auto: Phoenix, AZ
@jetstream23, I was just at Chapman BMW in Tempe today doing service on my 2015 M3. They had a very sweet 2018 M3 with carbon fiber rear spoiler, diffuser, rear view mirror covers, and the awesome front splitter. All CF. Nice Sakhir orange (looks more red) seats. Also had a 2015 blue used M3 with the ceramic brakes. Just in case you want to check them out. BMW stopped making M3s until the 2020 model year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransporterG View Post
@jetstream23, I was just at Chapman BMW in Tempe today doing service on my 2015 M3. They had a very sweet 2018 M3 with carbon fiber rear spoiler, diffuser, rear view mirror covers, and the awesome front splitter. All CF. Nice Sakhir orange (looks more red) seats. Also had a 2015 blue used M3 with the ceramic brakes. Just in case you want to check them out. BMW stopped making M3s until the 2020 model year.
Thanks man! Yes, I've been checking out the inventory on the Chapman website for preowned vehicles. I'm 99% sure that I'll be purchasing a vehicle there in the next 6 months.

Are you in the Tempe area? Moved here from Shanghai?
Old 10-10-2018, 04:36 PM
BMWCCA

Mein Auto: 2015 F80
Wait for 2020!.... And take delivery in munich.... Just sayin!,,,,,,,
Old 10-11-2018, 09:11 PM
Glaird

Mein Auto: F10-'16 550i, F82-'18 M4
I have a 2018 M4 coupe, w/competition package. I have some track experience (back in the day) and I do use all of the road and car, when I can get away with it.
1) On public roads, I always leave the setting in comfort mode. Simply because the conditions, even on interstates, are so bad, the car needs the amount of travel in the suspension to stay glued to the surface. Every time I switched up to stiffer settings, the car would start to dance and skitter across the pavement.
2) The only place where I found Sport+ of any benefit was on track surfaces; i.e. glass smooth and freshly paved. There the higher spring rates allowed me to squeeze a bit more out of the car in corners.

Supposedly BMW stiffened the chassis on the convertible(?). And I can't think of another car that I would rather have today, then my M4 Coupe, for the regime we're discussing.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:07 AM

Mein Auto: Phoenix, AZ
@jetstream23

You are right!
Old 11-08-2018, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransporterG View Post
@jetstream23

You are right!
I've never been to Shanghai but I've been to Shenzen, Hong Kong, and a few other places. In any case, welcome to Arizona!
Old 11-09-2018, 04:07 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: M4 Cabrio - Cayenne GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper_330 View Post
So yeah, another post about a "lapsed Bimmer-head" but hoping that you chaps can help me with a few questions LOL.

Let's preface all of this with a bit of history. I've had several Bimmers (and Beamers) including an E90 M3 sedan that I loved but found to be pretty wearing as a daily driver... at which point I looked elsewhere for a bit. In the meantime I've had an Infiniti Q50S Hybrid (uh... yeah that wasn't a great move) and currently happily tooling around St. Louis in a bright blue Cadillac ATS-V (with a stick, of course!!)

I lease the ATS-V and I'm in the countdown period to end of lease. Yeah, EOL isn't actually for another year but I'm starting to look seriously at my options again, and of course the M4 has come up. My V is a coupe, and these days as an empty-nester I have no particular desire for a sedan... so yeah there we are.

However, the wrinkle in the works here is that before I bought my V I did actually test drive an M4... for a week (yay Turo!) in California. There was a lot I liked about it, but I didn't love it like my older Bimmers... I found it too soft and "squidgy" around the middle. Granted some of it was that it was a 'vert instead of a coupe so it was less ridgid... but the car didn't set my heart racing even though I was happily cruising around the redwoods in Northern Cali and down through Napa where I may have imbibed more wine than was probably good for me. In the end though I bought the V because by every metric I could find I just found it a better car. I'll save my review of the V for another time because there are downsides... but 2 years in it's still a damned good car I plan to bring to the Woodward Dream Cruise coming up in Detroit.

Anyway, I came back in part because I want to give the M4 another chance. In particular I want to get more details from people here about the LCI refresh; the 'vert I drove was pre-LCI and I was curious if there were suspension changes to the M4 that might tighten the driving up a bit? Also, is the steering any better? Am I going to be happy with the M4 particularly considering it'll be last model year?

Also, anyone know when final orders are going in for the M4? I am probably planning to do an ED if I do decide on the M4, either in July or in September... but pretty sure that if I do go Sept then it'll be literally end of the line for the M4... is that correct or do we think that EOO is going to come earlier?

At the end of the day I am waiting on a new M4 being at the dealership to take a test drive. I did drive an M3 about a week and a half ago and I found it really good but wasn't able to really drive it as well as I would've liked (shortened test drive). A sales guy at the dealership is letting me know when an M4 is on the lot that can be test driven as right now they just don't have any (though expecting one in a few weeks).

Other contenders include the M2 (though the new Competition is not exciting me quite as much because I find the suspension awfully harsh for daily driver duty) and the RS5. The latter I got to drive around the same time and was highly impressed with the car... slightly less so at the price... and let's just say the lease rates we see on RS5's right now are... less than optimal?

So thoughts, chaps... I have always respected the opinions of the people here... should the M4 be on my short list?
I had a 2015 M4 with adaptable suspension (comp package unavailable MY2015) and I now have a 2018 M4 with comp package. I don't notice a difference in harshness with the comp package. Both Ms had far better ride quality than my 2007 335i with RFTs and sport suspension.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Porsche Club of America
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
M Gruppe (New York Metro/New England Regional Director)
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 11-12-2018, 09:36 AM
Been there, Done that.

Mein Auto: Does it matter?
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I had a 2015 M4 with adaptable suspension (comp package unavailable MY2015) and I now have a 2018 M4 with comp package. I don't notice a difference in harshness with the comp package. Both Ms had far better ride quality than my 2007 335i with RFTs and sport suspension.
Being thrown off a cliff would have had a better ride quality than a e9x BMW with run flat tires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
Today's Posts Search