Repair too close to the sidewall or within range? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension

Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension
Discuss everything about wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your BMW.

Old 02-20-2020, 10:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i E70 Sport
Repair too close to the sidewall or within range?

Iím on the fence with this repaired run flat tire. Looks to be near the acceptable/not acceptable part of the tread. I have used repaired tires before and this one has 10mm of tread left. I would hate to waste it. All in all, safety first. Your thoughts?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1537.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	882477Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1538.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	882479

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2020, 03:44 PM
What was that?

Mein Auto: 05 M3, '13 TLC, '11X5 35i
Perfectly acceptable for the girls I go out with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2020, 04:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
A reputable shop wouldn't touch that. They'd be afraid of personal injury attorneys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2020, 05:17 PM
What was that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
A reputable shop wouldn't touch that. They'd be afraid of personal injury attorneys.

I have always heard that, but every time I ask to see the fine print, they are unable to produce paperwork supporting this... not to get all tinfoil-hat on this, but sure looks like they prefer the revenue from the new tire (and in many cases, Iíve heard them say they would not put one new tire on a car with AWD citing differences in diameter between new and used tires...).

The RFT would take this and much more without any issues. Iíve put plugs and patches on worse spots, on standard tires that really got abused - meaning used with low pressures on sand and rock, and loaded to the gills on gravel roads. Never had a single one fail in over half a million kms

Old 02-20-2020, 06:08 PM

My priority is safety. Some shops do have their own unwritten rules on repaired tires. Looking at the structure of run flats I would think that this might fall within acceptable (non sidewall) limits. Not sure though. I am perfectly comfortable with patched tires for a small puncture. I do wonder if it would compromise the ďrun flatĒ ability.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 02-20-2020, 07:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoCarNut View Post
I have always heard that, but every time I ask to see the fine print, they are unable to produce paperwork supporting this... not to get all tinfoil-hat on this, but sure looks like they prefer the revenue from the new tire (and in many cases, Iíve heard them say they would not put one new tire on a car with AWD citing differences in diameter between new and used tires...).

The RFT would take this and much more without any issues. Iíve put plugs and patches on worse spots, on standard tires that really got abused - meaning used with low pressures on sand and rock, and loaded to the gills on gravel roads. Never had a single one fail in over half a million kms

You're right. I looked on the Michelin, Bridgestone, Tire Rack, and the U.S. Tire Manufacturers Association websites, and couldn't find prohibition of repairing a puncture in the tread between the outside circumferential channel and the shoulder of the tread. Although, I had a puncture near the edge and Tire Rack replaced the tire under their two-year road hazard warranty.

I had a proper plug-patch puncture between two circumferential channels fail after about 35k miles.

AWD systems need the tires to have very similar rolling diameters. Otherwise, there's a stead grind on the clutches in the transfer case. Requirements vary by vehicle manufacturers, but it's usually around 2/32" difference or less. But, you can get a new tires shaved to match the tread depth and rolling diameter of the existing tires. I've had that done by Tire Rack for $35.

High performance tires wear a lot faster when they're new. All tires wear faster when new, but high-performance tires wear a lot faster when new. So, it's a good idea to have the new tire shaved with an extra 1/32" of tread on them. With the faster wear, the new tire will catch up with the old ones.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:19 PM
What was that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyUnicornTaco View Post
My priority is safety. Some shops do have their own unwritten rules on repaired tires. Looking at the structure of run flats I would think that this might fall within acceptable (non sidewall) limits. Not sure though. I am perfectly comfortable with patched tires for a small puncture. I do wonder if it would compromise the ďrun flatĒ ability.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

I am absolutely certain the structural design of the RFT is capable of withstanding much more punishment than that. These are built for insane demand specifications.

Old 02-24-2020, 05:37 AM

Mein Auto: 430i xdrive cv
One thing seems odd to me. The outside photo looks like the damage is far enough away from the sidewall whereas the interior tire photo looks like the damage is much closer to the sidewall. All perspective, I guess.
Old 02-24-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkski View Post
One thing seems odd to me. The outside photo looks like the damage is far enough away from the sidewall whereas the interior tire photo looks like the damage is much closer to the sidewall. All perspective, I guess.

Itís a combination of the angle and the repair method. A circle is sanded out and then patched. Iím not going to use it. I decided to buy a new set of 4 tires. Making the switch to NON run flats.

Old 02-24-2020, 04:32 PM

Just checking my understanding. Normally you would plug it first to get on the road, then take it to a tire shop for the interior repair which if I recall uses a Dremel on the area, then a circular patch?
Old 02-24-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Just checking my understanding. Normally you would plug it first to get on the road, then take it to a tire shop for the interior repair which if I recall uses a Dremel on the area, then a circular patch?

Yup. If itís a run flat and holding pressure you can skip the plug though. Plugs hold really well on run flats.

Old 02-24-2020, 04:45 PM

I would think running the runflat withot a plug would ruin the tire, i.e., no chance of repair whether recommended or not.
Old 02-24-2020, 04:56 PM

Quote:
I would think running the runflat withot a plug would ruin the tire, i.e., no chance of repair whether recommended or not.

If you get a nail or screw in the tire and the pressure holds pretty well the run flat will hold for a while. Longer than a non run flat. Running a run flat on low pressure will ruin the tire eventually. It makes a crease where the sidewall meets the part of the tire that touches the road and makes the rubber flake off into beads on the inside. Out of at least 10 punctured run flats I have only had one become damaged internally. All others were patchable.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension
Today's Posts Search