M4 to Giulia Quadrifoglio - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)

F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
F80 BMW M3 sedan, F82 BMW M4 coupe and F83 M4 convertible forum. This 5th generation M3 and all new M4 features a 3.0 liter twin turbo engine (engine code S55) 425hp and 406lbs of torque! Heavy use of light weight materials makes this generation lighter and faster then the outgoing E9x M3.

Old 10-29-2018, 07:30 PM

Mein Auto: '04 325
M4 to Giulia Quadrifoglio

Hi all,

I'm a previous E90 and F82 driver and about a month ago I traded my M4 for an Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio. It was tough for me to leave the BMW brand, but I knew the new M3/M4 was too far off in the distance to wait. So, I decided to give the Alfa a try. I had some concerns before I made the purchase:
  • Would be settling with the ZF auto versus the incredible DCT in the M4?
  • Would I be annoyed by an inferior infotainment system?
  • Could I live without the HUD?
  • Would the dealer experience be up to par?
  • And a few others...

My feedback after a month? None of that stuff matters. The Alfa is the best driver's car I've ever driven and I say that with some pain because of how much I love BMW's. If you are considering looking at a non-M product, do yourself a favor and drive the Alfa.

Every time I get out of the car I walk away shaking my head. I don't know how they made it this good...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2018, 10:48 AM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M2, X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by weinerj100 View Post
None of that stuff matters.
Yep ...none of that stuff maters...now.... The real test is a year from now when the sexiness of having a new hot car has faded, and you wake up to the cold reality of a so so dealer, an info system that never quite works along with a host of niggling little things that jus' irritate. You ask yourself "why did I do this" but you know the answer - you were infatuated by Italian curves, and a a sonorous alluring voice, but infatuation usually grows faint with time.

Congrats on your Alfa - I think it is gorgeous - I hope you have a great ownership experience!

Last edited by Capobranco; 10-30-2018 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:36 PM

Mein Auto: '04 325
Honestly, it's really just the way the thing drives. Every time I park it I'm shaking my head from how good it really is. Again, I consider myself a BMW loyalist, but the Alfa just took the driving dynamics to a different level in my opinion...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2018, 08:44 AM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: M4 Cabrio - Cayenne GTS
A friend of mine bought one and right after he got it we took it out on the track at Lime Rock.

I was very impressed with the way it drives.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Porsche Club of America
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
M Gruppe (New York Metro/New England Regional Director)
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 11-09-2018, 08:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2017 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by weinerj100 View Post
Hi all,

I'm a previous E90 and F82 driver and about a month ago I traded my M4 for an Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio. It was tough for me to leave the BMW brand, but I knew the new M3/M4 was too far off in the distance to wait. So, I decided to give the Alfa a try. I had some concerns before I made the purchase:
  • Would be settling with the ZF auto versus the incredible DCT in the M4?
  • Would I be annoyed by an inferior infotainment system?
  • Could I live without the HUD?
  • Would the dealer experience be up to par?
  • And a few others...

My feedback after a month? None of that stuff matters. The Alfa is the best driver's car I've ever driven and I say that with some pain because of how much I love BMW's. If you are considering looking at a non-M product, do yourself a favor and drive the Alfa.

Every time I get out of the car I walk away shaking my head. I don't know how they made it this good...
When I do, 911s for me, no substitute.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:38 AM
Been there, Done that.

Mein Auto: Does it matter?
I saw a grey one, and it looked fantastic.

Enjoy in good health.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 M3
I hope you enjoy!

I has in Rome filming a commercial for the Quad before the US release and got to tool around in one...
Old 01-13-2019, 07:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 M4 F83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop362 View Post

Concur—I love my M4 (F83); but my 991.2 991S is the real deal. Better tranny, quicker, handles, and sounds better.
I placed wider wheels and tires on the M4and it helped a great deal. I went with Vorsteiner FF103s
19”x9.5” front—275/30/19 PS 4 Michelin
19”x10.5” rear—305/30/19 PS 4 Michelin
I still love the M4 for BMW’s nice seats and roominess; but there are better ultimate driving machines.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 01-13-2019, 11:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 M3 CP
Hope you continue to have a good experience with the Alfa, I probably would have considered one when I was looking before I bought my M3, but a big consideration for people like myself was lack of dealership proximity. Admittedly I still have a 430km drive to the nearest BMW dealer, but it would be at least 700km for Alfa and if I was on a trip it could be even farther. Probably not an issue for lots of you guys south of our border.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 E93 & 2018 F80
Congrat on your new ride Alfa is a great car but one thing came to mind is the liability, for me HUD is also important when it come to select a new car.
2014 F30 335i Melbourne Red ( Sold )
2013 E93 M3 Melbourne Red DCT
2012 E93 Space Gray (Retired BMW buy back)
2009 E82 ( Sold )
2006 E90 ( Sold )
2001 E46 6MT ( Sold )

My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Old 01-15-2019, 08:59 AM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop362 View Post
Not necessarily so.....

My next door neighbor has 3 911s and we occasionally drive our cars back to back. I come away from our drives happy to return to my M2. As a previous 911 driver - I appreciate Porsche's ultra silky MT as opposed to BMW's notichiness but, as a daily driver, I do not appreciate the 911's punishing ride, confined space,and many niggling quirks. In general a 911 requires too many compromises to justify its track performance. Regarding track performance, I suspect, I would be faster in an M2 Competition vs a base 911 Carrera given an M2 is as faithful and predictable as my German Shepherd. Moreover, high maintenance costs and steep depreciation are part of Porsche ownership as you accumulate miles. Porsche - There Is No Substitute - having been there and done that....I like Porsche and appreciate my Porsche experience, but I have moved on.

Last edited by Capobranco; 01-15-2019 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:59 AM

Mein Auto: '17 GTI '16 981 CS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
Not necessarily so.....

My next door neighbor has 3 911s and we occasionally drive our cars back to back. I come away from our drives happy to return to my M2. As a previous 911 driver - I appreciate Porsche's ultra silky MT as opposed to BMW's notichiness but, as a daily driver, I do not appreciate the 911's punishing ride, confined space,and many niggling quirks. In general a 911 requires too many compromises to justify its track performance. Regarding track performance, I suspect, I would be faster in an M2 Competition vs a base 911 Carrera given an M2 is as faithful and predictable as my German Shepherd. Moreover, high maintenance costs and steep depreciation are part of Porsche ownership as you accumulate miles. Porsche - There Is No Substitute - having been there and done that....I like Porsche and appreciate my Porsche experience, but I have moved on.
I am glad you went there. Nothing you said is wrong or false. Now imagine compromises you have to live with in a Porsche without even rear seats for cargo.

Comparing driving aspects (or, worse, that elusive driving "feel") of any usable vehicle no matter how powerful (like F80/F82/F83, for example) with a ground-up sports car is very unfair. Comparing usefulness between same groups is even more unfair.

There is a reason sports cars exist. Actually, in my own opinion, there is exactly ONE reason sports cars exist and that is to provide to the owner emotions that no useful car car provide - for many reasons. Say that the main one is they have to cater to maybe 2,000 people every year, not to 100,000 or more. You can hear loud click-clack through open window when shifting into 1st when stopped? That's premium, not a blemish. You can feel pebbles under the seat of your pants when you run over some gravel on super-smooth road? That's premium, not a blemish. You can constantly hear intake behind your shoulders slurping air and know your rpm from the sound change without even looking at the instrument? Premium feature, not a blemish. And it is so loud you can hear it over incessant yapping from your passenger? Extra premium. You have to contort yourself into yoga exercise in order to enter/egress the vehicle so that the seat of your pants is less than 4" from the pavement when seated? Premium, not blemish. I can go on until tomorrow ...

Point being, in my opinion only (again) sports cars make a very good sense - as long as you have a grocery - getter as well. Now is that Hyundai Elantra or S-Klass Mercedes Benz, doesn't matter. Neither one and nothing in between will EVER provide to the owner the emotions that a designed-from-ground-up-sports car will. On the other hand, I know of people who own 981 Porsche as a daily driver and I have no idea how they survive - I certainly would NOT attempt that. IMO, as always.

I am only being so long because I was lured by the siren song of "one car that does it all, does it reasonably well and can be one car you will ever need" and it didn't end well. Not at all. Again, my experience, not Cosmic Truth.

2017 Golf GTI |Silver over tartan cloth| MT| Base S, no options. Oh, wait! ... It does have a spare tire!

2016 981 Cayman S | 6-speed MT| Active suspension | Sport Exhaust System | Torque vectoring (with LSD) | Sport seats + | Sport design steering wheel

2013 VW Golf TDI [CONFISCATED]

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010) [SOLD]
Old 01-16-2019, 10:51 AM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
....... Nothing you said is wrong or false. ......
Ditto...

Yes....I think all sport car enthusiasts owe it to themselves at some point to "contort themselves into a yoga exercise", as well as experience the many other "blemishes" that are part of the Porsche experience. I am not being sarcastic......I think Porsche is a sports car right of passage, I understand why many never want to leave the brand - Porsche is magical. However, it may be a truism that nothing is free in this world, and the Porsche experience provides evidence. In time - premium becomes a blemish, and over time, the accumulated "blemishes" out-weigh the premium. As an undiluted driving machine for weekend pleasure, Porsche is compelling, as a daily driver, Porsche can be challenging - thus my embrace of M. The M2 is not perfect but it is a very nice compromise biased more to a traditional sports car ethos.

BTW - your CaymanS is alluring - perfect color, options and MT!
Old 01-16-2019, 02:07 PM

Mein Auto: '17 GTI '16 981 CS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
As an undiluted driving machine for weekend pleasure, Porsche is compelling, as a daily driver, Porsche can be challenging - thus my embrace of M.
Oh yes, we completely agree. I said I could NOT live with 981 as the ONLY car I have. Sports car should be, by definition, USELESS for anything else other than giving the owner best pleasure you can have with clothes on. Owning one as a single car is not what I would EVER attempt. Not at 50+, that's for darn sure.

So, Sports Car + Grocery Getter = Bliss. Can we at least agree on that?

Quote:
BTW - your CaymanS is alluring - perfect color, options and MT!
Thanks! Well, same goes for your ///M2. That's exactly what I would have bought if Cayman didn't pan out.

2017 Golf GTI |Silver over tartan cloth| MT| Base S, no options. Oh, wait! ... It does have a spare tire!

2016 981 Cayman S | 6-speed MT| Active suspension | Sport Exhaust System | Torque vectoring (with LSD) | Sport seats + | Sport design steering wheel

2013 VW Golf TDI [CONFISCATED]

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010) [SOLD]
Old 01-16-2019, 06:49 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
....So, Sports Car + Grocery Getter = Bliss. Can we at least agree on that? ....
Old 01-17-2019, 01:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 M4 F83
No agreement on bliss here. Bliss is too high of a standard for the M4 in my mind.

Love the M4 now that I've put wheels that are 1/2" wider front and back (plus wheels 30mm wider all around). The performance is soooo much better!

The transmission is solid; but the PDK is considerably better on four fronts: 1. It will deliver the gear you want when angular acceleration (G) exceeds 0.6, which is nice. 2. Much smoother shifts under all conditions from 1 to 2 to 3. 3. Gear ratio for 1 to 2 is far better in the 911s. 4. 911s's exhaust sounds (not a transmission issue I know) much better if you care about that; not metallic sounding.
So if someone is looking for an F83 M4, I simply suggest setting aside a few extra $ to improve the wheels/tires; and recognize the limitations of the transmission.

I still take my M4 to the track and I am proud of it; but helping other readers make decisions is a good purpose of this forum--my data is solid.
I mainly use the M4 as a mud-wagon and daily driver--gets the family to church on Sunday very comfortably too (911s won't do that!).
Also, the M4 costs about 1/2 the price of a new 911s cab, PDK, with Carbon brakes--so saving $ is a nice plus for the BMW.

Also--another guy posted the 911s is not that much faster than the M4--that is only true at the top end (193 for the 911s vs. 192 for the M4). The new 991.2 model 911s's are much quicker off the line than the M4's--3.2" vs. 3.8" +/`

My hope is that the next M4 I buy will have a slightly better transmission and a better wheel configuration.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
Today's Posts Search