A Question of Great Socio-Politico Importance!! Heads-up!!!! - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions

General BMW Questions
Use this forum to ask general question about the BMW ownership and keep up on the latest BMW news. Direct all model specific questions to model specific forums below.

Old 07-17-2019, 02:39 AM

Mein Auto: X3
A Question of Great Socio-Politico Importance!! Heads-up!!!!

I'm having an issue wearing sun glasses and seeing my heads-up display. What sunglasses do you use to allow you to see the heads-up display while driving?

Thanks in advance for any leads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2019, 03:50 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Non-polarized.

ETA later: I do not use sunglasses on advice of my old-timey ophthalmologist. Unless 'sunglasses' are goggle-like with no gaps and of extremely dark colored tint, they are ineffective except as fashion accessories.

I was taught that sun exposure darkens iris color, strengthens the pupillary contraction muscles for a smaller higher f-stop pupil for a greater depth of field and more effective shielding of the eye from intense light - as from nearby welding arc. Many years ago, while I was still sailing actively, I decided to not use sunglasses on his recommendation.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 07-17-2019 at 05:09 AM.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
Non-polarized.

ETA later: I do not use sunglasses on advice of my old-timey ophthalmologist. Unless 'sunglasses' are goggle-like with no gaps and of extremely dark colored tint, they are ineffective except as fashion accessories.

I was taught that sun exposure darkens iris color, strengthens the pupillary contraction muscles for a smaller higher f-stop pupil for a greater depth of field and more effective shielding of the eye from intense light - as from nearby welding arc. Many years ago, while I was still sailing actively, I decided to not use sunglasses on his recommendation.
Thanks, I realized that regarding the polarization. Just curious which ones member liked. Some must be better than others. I'll be at the dealership on Friday and will see what they have there (if anything). My eyes are pretty sensitive so I'm usually wearing sunglasses if outside. My wife the RN asserts it's due to my blue eyes being more light sensitive.

Last edited by hogwldfltr; 07-17-2019 at 05:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2019, 06:13 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
That is correct that blue irises do not shield the interior of the eye as well. Photophobia light sensitive eyes may be caused by artificial shielding. Again, my eyes are blue and I no longer suffer from photophobia (tearing and sneezing e.g.) as I did as an adolescent.

I am sure that any salesman can sell sunglasses.

The Eskimos have dark pupils and invented snow-goggles with a mechanical 'iris'. That will reduce glare and allow use of the polarized HUD display. I believe that it is polarized at 45 clockwise. Polarized sunglasses with parallel polarization 45 clockwise should block little.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 07-17-2019 at 06:15 AM.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328ix sdn; M240ix cpe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
Non-polarized.

Darth Vader was such a trend setter
Old 07-17-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogwldfltr View Post
Thanks, I realized that regarding the polarization. Just curious which ones member liked. Some must be better than others. I'll be at the dealership on Friday and will see what they have there (if anything). My eyes are pretty sensitive so I'm usually wearing sunglasses if outside. My wife the RN asserts it's due to my blue eyes being more light sensitive.
with some scrubbing and acetone you can remove the polarization film ;o)

I am partial to Serengeti or Vuarnet, since they are two of the only sunglass companies still offering mineral optical glass lenses with or without polarization in their sunglasses. Vuarnet only makes mineral glass sunglasses, and Serengeti has their line of Drivers Gradient sunglasses. Vuarnet makes both polarized and non-polarized. I prefer glass over polycarb or other plastics simply because of optical quality (we can argue the point), and because they are able to let more light in while block the same amount or better bad rays as polycarbs/plasticcs requiring darker tinting, not to mention more scratch resistant. now there are negs and pos to polycarb/plastic, but I prefer me sunglasses in glass.

I was a big fan of Revo since the 80s, but since Luxottica bought Revo in 2013, which subsequently meant bottom line pricing, Revo only makes expensive sunglasses with polycarb lenses now. 2012 was the last year and pre-Luxottica, Revo made a line of Classic sunglasses with their Crystal lenses, although they were polarized. My first Revo's were from the late 80s from which the 2012 Classics were based, weren't polarized. Even with my Revo polarized classic sunglasses, i can still see the HUD, albeit faintly, without having to tilt my head. In part because the HUD tilt isn't fully 90 degrees.

Julbo is another brand which still makes a line of mineral optical glass (Alti Arc 4) sunglasses. Julbo reintroduced the classic 70's Cham, reissued as Cham Alti Arc4, which are an aviator style sunglasses, non-polarized, and has the added benefit of removable side panels (if you want protection without going to goggles).

One thing you can try, is adjusting the HUD tilt, which will give you faint HUD with polarized lenses since it brings it off polarization axis.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:43 PM

Mein Auto: '16 M3,'98 M3, '76 M2
I've been using serengetti drivers for 25-30 years or so. Very pleased with them.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Pilot View Post
I've been using serengetti drivers for 25-30 years or so. Very pleased with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtjm View Post
with some scrubbing and acetone you can remove the polarization film ;o)

I am partial to Serengeti or Vuarnet, since they are two of the only sunglass companies still offering mineral optical glass lenses with or without polarization in their sunglasses. Vuarnet only makes mineral glass sunglasses, and Serengeti has their line of Drivers Gradient sunglasses. Vuarnet makes both polarized and non-polarized. I prefer glass over polycarb or other plastics simply because of optical quality (we can argue the point), and because they are able to let more light in while block the same amount or better bad rays as polycarbs/plasticcs requiring darker tinting, not to mention more scratch resistant. now there are negs and pos to polycarb/plastic, but I prefer me sunglasses in glass.

I was a big fan of Revo since the 80s, but since Luxottica bought Revo in 2013, which subsequently meant bottom line pricing, Revo only makes expensive sunglasses with polycarb lenses now. 2012 was the last year and pre-Luxottica, Revo made a line of Classic sunglasses with their Crystal lenses, although they were polarized. My first Revo's were from the late 80s from which the 2012 Classics were based, weren't polarized. Even with my Revo polarized classic sunglasses, i can still see the HUD, albeit faintly, without having to tilt my head. In part because the HUD tilt isn't fully 90 degrees.

Julbo is another brand which still makes a line of mineral optical glass (Alti Arc 4) sunglasses. Julbo reintroduced the classic 70's Cham, reissued as Cham Alti Arc4, which are an aviator style sunglasses, non-polarized, and has the added benefit of removable side panels (if you want protection without going to goggles).

One thing you can try, is adjusting the HUD tilt, which will give you faint HUD with polarized lenses since it brings it off polarization axis
Great input!!! Thanks!!! I have so many pairs of sunglasses all either Serengeti or Ray Bans. It's a shame every last one is polarized. I was looking at the Gradients but didn't want to jump without knowing how they'd work. I don't think I have mineral glass but that seems like a good idea. I'm pretty careful with glasses having worked with optics in equipment a lot so Polycarbs might work too. Thanks again for the inputs. I saw the tilt adjustment but didn't realize it would adjust the axis of polarity. I'm a bit OCD so alignment is something that distracts me. It would be easier for me to live with that though then to learn to like bright light without sunglasses.

Last edited by hogwldfltr; 07-18-2019 at 02:35 AM.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:03 PM

It's amazing what one can come up with when they look around. Non Polarized sun glasses which I chose to buy for the HUD. Bluetooth connectivity, non-polarized, and augmented reality capable.

https://www.bose.com/en_us/audiosung...S%3D1563650115

https://www.pcmag.com/review/366406/bose-frames

Last edited by hogwldfltr; 07-20-2019 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 03:39 PM

$200 for cheap plastic lenses...no thank you.
Old 07-20-2019, 04:37 PM

A Question of Great Socio-Politico Importance!! Heads-up!!!!

Quote:
$200 for cheap plastic lenses...no thank you.

The lenses can be removed and have ground ones replaced (not that I will). The main feature is the Bose sound system (aside from the non polarized lenses).
Old 07-21-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
The lenses can be removed and have ground ones replaced (not that I will). The main feature is the Bose sound system (aside from the non polarized lenses).
yeah, but it also voids the warranty according to Bose.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:45 AM

Quote:
yeah, but it also voids the warranty according to Bose.
Uh, not that I can find. They sell replacement lenses in different colors and advertise the ease of replacement. I've read their warranty information and find nothing of the sort in the US literature at least. I can't attest to that being true world wide.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2019 X3 M40i
Serengeti glasses with the photochromatic driver's gradient lenses.

2011 528i (ED 6/1/11; USA p/u 7/23/11) Space Grey / Black / Light Wood / Sport Auto / HUD / Packages:Premium & Premium 2 / Sport / Drivers Asst (retired 5-2-2019)

2006 325xi / Sparkling Graphite / Terra / Walnut/ Steptronic /Premium Package - Nav / Xenons || iPod Adapter | Blacklines (retired 5-1-2014)
Old 07-23-2019, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Uh, not that I can find. They sell replacement lenses in different colors and advertise the ease of replacement. I've read their warranty information and find nothing of the sort in the US literature at least. I can't attest to that being true world wide.
Yes, Bose makes replacement lenses which are replaceable; however, third-party lenses does not equal Bose lenses, which equals "may void warranty".

From Bose Support:
"We are currently unable to support any use of third-party lenses. As any unauthorized modifications to Bose Frames will void the warranty, we do not have any added measurements to share aside from what has been posted publicly on Bose.com:"

From Bose Frames Manual:

"Do NOT make unauthorized alterations to this product."
"Only lenses approved by Bose should be used with the Alto or Rondo products."

From popular lens shops offering replacement and/or Rx lenses for the Bose Frames:
"Please note: Bose warranty may be voided."
Old 08-04-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Yes, Bose makes replacement lenses which are replaceable; however, third-party lenses does not equal Bose lenses, which equals "may void warranty".

From Bose Support:
"We are currently unable to support any use of third-party lenses. As any unauthorized modifications to Bose Frames will void the warranty, we do not have any added measurements to share aside from what has been posted publicly on Bose.com:"

From Bose Frames Manual:

"Do NOT make unauthorized alterations to this product."
"Only lenses approved by Bose should be used with the Alto or Rondo products."

From popular lens shops offering replacement and/or Rx lenses for the Bose Frames:
"Please note: Bose warranty may be voided."
Yes, you're right. I found out reading some reviews as well. Luckily I don't need glasses other that for bright light.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions
Today's Posts Search