Need help to decipher fuse diagram - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 02-15-2020, 07:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 335 GT M spot
Need help to decipher fuse diagram

Hi all. My dash pop up a warning, right brake light malfunction. I want to check the fuse first before going to the dealer for bulb replacement. Can someone decipher the crazy diagram. I dont' know which one is the right brake light. Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Scan.pdf (154.7 KB, 26 views)

Old 02-15-2020, 09:53 PM

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Mini, 1 Vespa
Iím fairly certain there isnít a fuse for just the right brake light and a separate one for left.

First, did you verify there is a malfunction? If there isnít clear the code and see if it comes back.
Second, if there is a replaceable bulb, itís usually not a difficult job.
Lastly, and sadly I might add, rear LED light cluster are not serviceable so you have to replace the whole thing. Also not very difficult, just more expensive than a bulb.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest
2013 Cooper S
2007 650i - 6 speed
2002 330ci convertible - 5 speed

Past:
2012 X5 Diesel
2012 Countryman S All4 - 6 speed
2006 Cooper S - 6 speed
2006 330i - 6 speed
1997 328is - 5 speed
1991 318is - 5 speed
1988 635csi - 5 speed
1988 325i convertible - 5 speed
1969 2002 with tii and 5 speed conversions
Old 02-15-2020, 09:54 PM

Mein Auto: Toyota Prius
I think itís the fuses marked 53 and 153, but your problem probably isnít the fuses.

Use a friend to check the operation of your brake lights AND turn signals. If a brake light and a turn signal are both dead, itís not the fuse or the bulb.

Itís common for the ground pin to the tail light assembly to loosen, which causes it to overheat and melt. It usually causes the brake light and turn signal to both fail. If the car is under warranty, just have them replace the entire tail light assembly. Otherwise, thereís a fix Iíve described on this forum before. Iím traveling now, but Iíll check back on this thread if you have questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2020, 10:06 PM

Thanks for the input. The top half of the right brake light is on when I lock or unlock the car. The bottom half is not working when I hit the brake. Not sure about the turn signal. I'll check tomorrow when I go to my building garage.
Old 02-16-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkee View Post
Thanks for the input. The top half of the right brake light is on when I lock or unlock the car. The bottom half is not working when I hit the brake. Not sure about the turn signal. I'll check tomorrow when I go to my building garage.
The top half of your brake light isnít a brake light. The brake light is what goes on when you press the brake pedal.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebound View Post
The top half of your brake light isnít a brake light. The brake light is what goes on when you press the brake pedal.
Thanks Rebound. I rule out fuse and light bulb. Both the top and bottom and the turn signal work fine. The right brake light does not get 'brighter' when I step on the brake.... Time to visit the dealer...
Old 02-18-2020, 08:59 AM

Need help to decipher fuse diagram

Quote:
Thanks Rebound. I rule out fuse and light bulb. Both the top and bottom and the turn signal work fine. The right brake light does not get 'brighter' when I step on the brake.... Time to visit the dealer...
Does your right turn signal work?
By the way... when you ask for car help, always list the year and model of your car.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebound View Post
Does your right turn signal work?
By the way... when you ask for car help, always list the year and model of your car.
The turn signal did work. Anyway it's all been repaired. The technician report stated 'found short at signal connector harness, damaged REM.' The report also states they had to remove all carpets to trace the fault.

I have a 2014 3GT. I thought it's listed on the upper right corner of my post. Thank you all!!
Old 02-22-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
The turn signal did work. Anyway it's all been repaired. The technician report stated 'found short at signal connector harness, damaged REM.' The report also states they had to remove all carpets to trace the fault.
You do realize thatís exactly what I said it was... except you donít need to remove any carpet to access the connector harness. I hope it was a warranty job.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search