bmw cover-up or lies airbag malfunction - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 02-06-2020, 01:19 PM

Mein Auto:
bmw cover-up or lies airbag malfunction

2016 bmw 320I with 24K miles.

On December 26, 2019 I was in a side impact accident . I was hit on the passenger side rear door that spun me into a enbankment on the driver side. Went from around 45mph to stop in a car length. I was thrown into the driver side door, and no other passengers werein the car. On the console screen a message came up saying something along the lines of " Airbag System Malfunction. Continue to wear shoulder restraints till serviced at the dealership" I was unable to get a picture of the message as my phone was thrown somewhere in the car.

I called bmw of north america to inform them of the message, and was assigned a case manager. The case manager started in on what I was wanting from bmw of north america, and the many reasons the air bags might not of deployed as well as a few for why I might have seen that message. When asked again what I wanted from bmw of north america I responded that I wanted to know why the airbags failed to deploy. The case manager dispatched a tech to diagnose the problem.

Today 2/6/2020 the results of their findings:
The car did what it was supposed to do. No codes about faulty airbags was stored in the car.

Attached are pictures of the total loss. The top of the back passenger side door has a gap big enough to drop a baseball into from the impact. Anyone who has inspected the car has told me they can't believe the air bags didn't deploy. Myself and others are having a hard time believing what bmw claims about the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	post1.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	881083   Click image for larger version

Name:	post2.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	881085   Click image for larger version

Name:	post3.PNG
Views:	100
Size:	341.4 KB
ID:	881087  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2020, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2017 VW GTI Sport MT
Airbags for the driver and passenger are for frontal impacts, not side.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad_nicholas View Post
On December 26, 2019 I was in a side impact accident . I was hit on the passenger side rear door that spun me into a enbankment on the driver side.
Did the side curtain airbag deploy during impact?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2020, 06:14 AM

Mein Auto: 04 325Ci Sport Coupe
I will jump in here.

First, you don't say, but assume you are fine. It is key to the discussion.

Second, I was in a serious accident about 5 years ago in a Mercedes. Basically, a 3/4 ton truck pulled out in front of me at 55 mph and I t-boned it. Long story short, no airbag, but key to this is also no injury except a bruised thumb. The paramedic even said I would be sore from the seatbelt tensioners or unknown impact bodily impact with the car or whatever, but I felt nothing....literally. Being an engineer, I was a bit shocked and went sleuthing. Mercedes was no help except to ask if I was okay and sent me statement (which I couldn't find) that basically said their airbag technology is proprietary, but used many sensors which defined the location of the impact, number of occupants, and g level / force of impact of the accident to determine which if any airbags to deploy. Remember, an airbag can cause more harm than the accident and the structural engineers do a lot of work to have the car absorb impacts without transmitting the entire force of the impact on the occupant(s).

So, assuming you weren't hurt, count the fact that the engineers at BMW did their job in protecting you. I am very thankful to Mercedes...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Waco-20140820-00022.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	253.5 KB
ID:	881117  

Last edited by lyleswk; 02-07-2020 at 06:16 AM.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:03 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
The Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard requirement is equivalent to a 14 mile per hour collision with a solid barrier. I believe that is how it is stated in the FMVSS 208.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 02-07-2020 at 07:06 AM.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:50 AM

Mein Auto: Diesel
What your front end and drivers side look like will help tell the rest of the story of what your car went through.

Otherwise it looks like the impact was not so severe (not a double force impact, nor directional impact)

I have no doubt that on many cars a bunch of airbags would have gone off. Assuming you are 95% ok, I'd say the engineering and technology is quite advanced.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:57 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 530e
You were thrown into the driver side door. Were you wearing your seatbelt?
Old 02-10-2020, 06:14 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
Did the side curtain airbag deploy during impact?
None of them did.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:17 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
You were thrown into the driver side door. Were you wearing your seatbelt?
I was wearing my seat belt. It caught me enough that I only ended up with a knot on my head from the window instead of busting it out and getting cut. But it was not enough to prevent me from hitting my head on the glass and side on the arm rest.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:24 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzlbimmer View Post
What your front end and drivers side look like will help tell the rest of the story of what your car went through.

Otherwise it looks like the impact was not so severe (not a double force impact, nor directional impact)

I have no doubt that on many cars a bunch of airbags would have gone off. Assuming you are 95% ok, I'd say the engineering and technology is quite advanced.
I don't have many more pictures. I lost my phone in the accident and was put in an ambulance. The rear of the car was ripped off but not crushed. The driver side impact pushed the tire and trans in enough to lift the back seat at an angle. (not noticeable except for the alignment to the back dash) The front end came out of it ok but for some scratches. The side airbags may or may not prevented some damage to my self, but it would have been nice not to have hit my head on the glass.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:43 AM

Mein Auto: locally
Quote:
I don't have many more pictures. I lost my phone in the accident and was put in an ambulance. The rear of the car was ripped off but not crushed. The driver side impact pushed the tire and trans in enough to lift the back seat at an angle. (not noticeable except for the alignment to the back dash) The front end came out of it ok but for some scratches. The side airbags may or may not prevented some damage to my self, but it would have been nice not to have hit my head on the glass.
Well Brad, I am glad that you are OK and continue to wear your seat belt. It saved you from some serious injury! You can't always depend on the safety features of the car but you can always depend on you!
Old 02-11-2020, 06:15 AM

Mein Auto:
Few people has asked about my well being. I'm in fairly good shape. A few bruised ribs, black eye, lump on the left side of my head, and a hair line fracture in my spine. Nothing that a few months of limited lifting will not fix.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:03 AM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Few people has asked about my well being. I'm in fairly good shape. A few bruised ribs, black eye, lump on the left side of my head, and a hair line fracture in my spine. Nothing that a few months of limited lifting will not fix.
Wow that does not sound like a small impact at all(both to car and body), godspeed!

Deployment of side and front airbags could have prevented the injuries.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:05 AM
Nuclear engineer

A problem with airbags is the absolute requirement to not deploy inappropriately.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:16 AM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
so the initial hit was from the passenger side rear which would have thrown you towards the passenger side. the car spun into the embankment and the tires dug in, which then threw you towards the drivers side door.

i suspect the double event is what caused the system to not deploy the airbags. as doug has said, the firing logic of the airbags is to not fire unless its appropriate.
the initial impact may have called for a deployment of the side impact airbags if there was a passenger. the spin into the embankment might have been not sharp enough ( it looks like the sideways motion was arrested by the dirt and grass vs hitting something hard like a curb or a wall)
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Past: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Past: 2016 F34 335i xDrive ZCW/ZDA/ZDH/ZTP/ZMP/2V5/5DL
Present: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Old 02-11-2020, 10:28 AM

Mein Auto: 04 325Ci Sport Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
so the initial hit was from the passenger side rear which would have thrown you towards the passenger side. the car spun into the embankment and the tires dug in, which then threw you towards the drivers side door.

i suspect the double event is what caused the system to not deploy the airbags. as doug has said, the firing logic of the airbags is to not fire unless its appropriate.
the initial impact may have called for a deployment of the side impact airbags if there was a passenger. the spin into the embankment might have been not sharp enough ( it looks like the sideways motion was arrested by the dirt and grass vs hitting something hard like a curb or a wall)
x2. See the dissertation above on my experience.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:22 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
the spin into the embankment might have been not sharp enough ( it looks like the sideways motion was arrested by the dirt and grass vs hitting something hard like a curb or a wall)
I did go from 45 (stated by bmw) to 0 in about a car length. The embankment that I hit was enough to rip the rear bumper off and push the driver side rear tire up enough to make the back seat at an angel.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:33 PM
Nuclear engineer

Quote:
I did go from 45 (stated by bmw) to 0 in about a car length. The embankment that I hit was enough to rip the rear bumper off and push the driver side rear tire up enough to make the back seat at an angel.
45 MPH is 66 FPS.

A car length at 66 FPS is 1/3 second.

Deceleration is average change in speed per time, 33 feet per second per 1/3 second.

Looks like 100 feet per second squared, or about 3 Gs. G = 32.2 feet per second^2

Old 02-11-2020, 01:37 PM

Mein Auto:
Really the main point of the post is the fact that I saw an error message on the console saying there was an air bag system malfunction. To use restraints till serviced at the dealership. I thought that it was a little late to be serviced now. (I had a strong feeling my car was totaled) When bmw explained all the reasons the air bag should not have gone off I asked about the error msg that came up on the console. I was told the car did not store any codes about an air bag malfunction. I just find it hard to believe that a msg on the console about a malfunction is not stored.

I will give it to BMW. They make a nice ride. I loved my car. I would own another if I could. It took a hit and stopped fast. (glad it did or I would have been hit by on coming traffic) And for it all I will have no permanent injuries.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:32 PM

Mein Auto: 1987 BMW 535is 2008 E64
Let's give Doug and A for physics here. In a racing seat, with a racing harness this wouldn't be an issue. What would a side air bag popping bag against you do other than harm. I know people that were beaten up worse by their air bag in older cars. Cars have good crush zones now.

Last edited by zod; 02-11-2020 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:37 PM

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Mini, 1 Vespa
First, glad you are not seriously hurt and that you are on the path to recovery. No question this could have been a lot worse.
I do believe the car did what it was supposed to do. For clarification: The " Airbag System Malfunction. Continue to wear shoulder restraints till serviced at the dealership" message came up AFTER the accident, right? If yes, that makes sense because the car detected that you have either damage to an SRS sensor and / or that the seatbelt did what it was supposed to do, pretensioned, and needs to be replaced.
2013 Cooper S
2007 650i - 6 speed
2002 330ci convertible - 5 speed

Past:
2012 X5 Diesel
2012 Countryman S All4 - 6 speed
2006 Cooper S - 6 speed
2006 330i - 6 speed
1997 328is - 5 speed
1991 318is - 5 speed
1988 635csi - 5 speed
1988 325i convertible - 5 speed
1969 2002 with tii and 5 speed conversions
Old 02-11-2020, 04:47 PM

Mein Auto: 1987 BMW 535is 2008 E64
Good point. It's SOP to replace seat belts after an accident.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:08 PM
Ziggy.

Mein Auto: 11 328xi N51
Theres a lot of things that could set that fault that wont deploy obvious airbags, seatbelt pretensioners, headrest airbags if equipped are 2. ive had customers come in for airbag lights that didnt even realize the headrest airbag had deployed.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:27 PM

Mein Auto: 325xi
You can always file a complaint at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
Old 02-14-2020, 11:37 PM

Mein Auto: Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobos305 View Post
You can always file a complaint at
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoinSF View Post
message came up AFTER the accident, right?
Most likely it is the pre-tensioners, should be easily verifiable in the car's current state.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search