N52 Valve cover - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-07-2018, 04:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '09 328 xit
N52 Valve cover

I was getting a strange “putt putt” noise from the engine compartment on my 2009 328 xit at intermittent times for the last few days. The car has 137,000 miles and showed signs of oil leakage at the vanos motor and eccentric shaft sensor along with a pretty strong suction at the oil filler cap so I decided to replace the valve cover. Allowing myself the day to complete I plowed ahead. This job is not for the faint of heart, getting the cover out and back in is a bear.
The dealers price after the CCA discount was about the same as the internet pricing, $450. Unfortunately, I dropped a securing clip for the #6 injector wiring attachment and now have to wait for the part to arrive. Incredibly not one dealer in the N.Y. metro area has one in stock!
Now for the kicker, after removing the plastic cover on the diaphragm it turns out that the rubber is intact. So, the valve cover and integral “PCV” valve were OK, and replacement of two seals would have solved my leakage problem. I was too quick to condemn the cover itself.
And, as I have not yet started and run the engine I am unsure that I solved my “putt putt” problem.
I hope others can learn from my mistake.
Thanks for listening.
Peter S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2018, 06:03 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
putt putt.. can you post a video of the engine running with the hood up?

suction from the oil filler neck is totally normal..
Old 06-09-2018, 04:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi
Thanks for sharing

I'm in the process of removing my valve cover as well. I had a considerable amount of oil in two of the spark plug wells. So a routine plug change has become a major leak repair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2018, 05:29 AM
Found the Search Button

Mein Auto: 2007 E92 328i, 2014 i3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzfly7 View Post
I'm in the process of removing my valve cover as well. I had a considerable amount of oil in two of the spark plug wells. So a routine plug change has become a major leak repair.

In my case not only were the plugs and coils fouled up, but so was my eccentric shaft sensor. Not knowing what the “putt putt” is exactly, you’ve got a few possible suspects.

2014 i3 BEV

2007 328i (E92) - Sold
2013 X5 35i (E70) - Sold
2014 i3 BEV - Lease return
2006 325i (E90) - Sold
Old 06-09-2018, 10:18 PM

Mein Auto: 330i
To the extent you need a reference, this video (albeit long) helped me tremendously when I did my valve cover.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest
Old 06-16-2018, 02:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328I xdrive
Your "put put" is most likely a ruptured EGR diaphram. BMW says you must replace the entire valve cover, but I just performed this on my car for 12 bucks. You can find a replacement EGR valve (diaphragm) on ebay. You must literally and very carefully break the old one out of the valve cover. You WILL break what appear to be hold down clips (3 of them), no worries not needed. You will glue the new one in anyway. Not difficult once you get over the idea of breaking your valve cover open on purpose...lol. Dremel tool works great to clean up the area to install the new valve.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:05 AM

This video is awesome sauce. This guy does an amazing job. I watched a previous video on YouTube but it wasn't as thorough and I wasted a lot of time because of it. If you've watched the video, I did manage to break the hose he cautioned not to( it probably was at the end of its miles anyway), so now it looks like I have to remove the manifold to replace the hose. I am going to take his advice and replace the valve cover, and It looks like someone has been in here before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-17-2018, 05:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 328i
I replaced my pcv valve and the whistling sound comes back after a few miles driven. The great thing is that it doesn’t sputter but the whistling sound is annoying. I’m wondering if the pcv valve i purchased blew pit already. Didnt even last 5 miles

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 06-17-2018, 06:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenogarza View Post
I replaced my pcv valve and the whistling sound comes back after a few miles driven. The great thing is that it doesn't sputter but the whistling sound is annoying. I'm wondering if the pcv valve i purchased blew pit already. Didnt even last 5 miles

doubt it, but you can check anyways. If there is suction coming from the oil filler neck while the engine is running, then your PCV valve is fine.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:34 AM

I just realized my oil is getting low. It seems like it’s burning it, consuming it when it never did that before.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
I just realized my oil is getting low. It seems like it's burning it, consuming it when it never did that before.

That's not normal. Check for leaks. What oil are you using?
Old 06-21-2018, 10:30 PM

Mobil 1. But now it has gone up. Weird how it goes up and down

Old 06-21-2018, 11:10 PM

Mein Auto: X5 e70 3.0i
Quote:
I just realized my oil is getting low. It seems like it’s burning it, consuming it when it never did that before.

Open your disa valve, look inside the Intake manifold. Presence of oil indicates a faulty pcv valve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-21-2018, 11:50 PM
Banned

Quote:

Mobil 1 isn't even LL approved and was never a good oil to begin with. Try Motul 5w40, it will greatly reduce your oil consumption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBetaX5 View Post
Quote:
I just realized my oil is getting low. It seems like it's burning it, consuming it when it never did that before.

Open your disa valve, look inside the Intake manifold. Presence of oil indicates a faulty pcv valve.
There's an easier way to check - if there is suction coming from the oil filler neck while the engine is running, your PCV is fine. No suction = faulty PCV. You can check with a plastic bag over the oil filler neck. You should be able to feel resistance when lifting the oil cap.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 530i; 2007 328 xit
Quote:

The oil condition sensors on the N52's are sensitive to condensation moisture in the oil.

Condensation in the engine/oil pan pools around the sensor base and gives oil oil readings that appear to move up and down over days.

Most people experience the low oil indication suddenly, and on a cool/cold morning. Note this is not the red oil pressure light; if that goes on, shut it off immediately. This is the Idrive oil level indicator, or the equivalent on the pre Idrive N52's.

Take the car out and run it to get the oil temp up to 100C (212F) for awhile. Don't flog it; just out on the highway, downshift to a steady 4K and heat it up. Depends on how hot the ambient is, but 15 min should do it. When you get back, open the oil fill for awhile.

Then check the oil level indicator to see if it's stable. Be careful not to overfill just because the level suddenly says low one morning (and you don't happen to have a large pool of oil under the car). .

2007 328xiT
2007 530I
2003 325XI (gone)
2004 530I (gone)
2001 530I (gone)

BMW CCA Member 15+ Years
Old 06-22-2018, 01:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bocabimmer View Post
In my case not only were the plugs and coils fouled up, but so was my eccentric shaft sensor. Not knowing what the “putt putt” is exactly, you’ve got a few possible suspects.
That seems to be a common list of issues on these engines eccentric sensors getting oil them is one of the worst and most common it seems.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:36 PM

I finally got my valve cover off. Is there a recommended purchase site and do you recommend genuine BMW or aftermarket?

Old 08-10-2018, 02:52 AM

Mein Auto: 330i
FCP Euro will provide BMW (and if available) aftermarket pricing. ECS tuning is another alternative, and for strictly genuine BMW check out “getbmwparts.com”.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest
Old 09-09-2018, 09:00 AM

N52 Valve cover

Thank you. I either way, the main thing is don't reuse the old one.

Old 11-17-2018, 12:19 PM

Almost done with valve cover replacement. Some how when I removed the wiring harnesses or the coils, I missed placed the little screws that going on the ground wires. Does anyone know what type they are and where they can be purchased? The video said they were 8mm but it’s the inside diameter and threading that’s the problem.

Old 11-17-2018, 12:25 PM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
https://redirect.viglink.com/?format...77524879kt1%2F
Old 11-17-2018, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Almost done with valve cover replacement. Some how when I removed the wiring harnesses or the coils, I missed placed the little screws that going on the ground wires. Does anyone know what type they are and where they can be purchased? The video said they were 8mm but it’s the inside diameter and threading that’s the problem.

You can go to any hardware store and get one similar.

Find it in this diagram:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_3737

Old 11-18-2018, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBetaX5 View Post
You can go to any hardware store and get one similar.

Find it in this diagram:

Thanks for sharing this link. From the front of the valve cover, this diagram shows everything on the top and right. What I need is on the left where the wire harness for the ignition coils connect on and two grounding wires from that harness screw onto to two post ,front and back left, between two coil packs on the valve cover. I went to the two big brand hardware stores and nothing matched the thread pattern.

Old 11-18-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:

Did you try finding the small fastener in other diagrams?

You have two of those fasteners. If you lost only one of them, and you have one in hand, remove it and take to a hardware store. It’d be easier to find one that way.
If you’ve lost both, things are a bit tricky then.

You can probably use any sort of fastener to ensure the connection is established, and get back on the road temporarily.

Old 11-18-2018, 04:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi E91
Quote:
If you are talking about the fasteners that secure the Brown Ground Wires for the Coils, those are nuts, probably "M5-0.8". In that size nomenclature, the first number (M5) is the "nominal" size (in millimeters) of the stud the nut fits on. If you measured the stud (or bolt) with a caliper, it would be approximately 5mm (five millimeters) in diameter. The second part of the size description is the distance between threads in millimeters, or in this instance 0.8 mm between threads (4/5ths of a millimeter). If you have some SAE-sized nuts handy, you will find that 10-32 nuts are very close, but since that's 32 threads per inch, and metric/SAE (inch) don't match exactly, you need to get metric. Here is an article that explains basic metric fastener sizing/nomenclature:
https://www.fastenermart.com/underst...fasteners.html

You probably used an 8mm socket to remove the nut, but as you suggest, that is the distance between opposing faces of the nut, and NOT the bolt/stud diameter.

Home Depot or any similar hardware retailer sells common-sized nuts & bolts, both metric & SAE. Here is an example of M5-0.8 nuts:
https://www.homedepot.com/s/nut%2520M5?NCNI-5

Several suggestions:
(1) To prevent misplacing/losing small parts removed (particularly if you don't get to complete the project immediately, get one or more "parts storage cases" such as these from Harbor Freight Tools (HFT):
https://www.harborfreight.com/catalo...s+storage+case
(2) For those who would like to be able to identify "nuts & bolts" and get proper hardware, as well as repairing damaged threads in nuts & bolts, castings, studs, etc., a tap & die set is helpful, and this one contains a "thread gauge" to check thread pitch for sizing, all for $16 (about the price of a thread gauge alone on Amazon) from HFT:
https://www.harborfreight.com/40-pc-...set-62832.html
(3) Finally, to measure any small parts accurately, a caliper is handy, and this one from HFT is cheap enough & small enough you can carry it anywhere:
https://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch...iper-7914.html

Of course you can spend more if you need "micrometer precision" or want a digital model, etc., but this is close enough for most automotive use short of "mic-ing" an engine to the nearest .0001 inch for rebuild parts or dedicated machine shop use which few of us are into.

George

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search