DEALER Dispute - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)

X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
First generation BMW X1 availbe as a X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i xDrive.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2016 M-3
DEALER Dispute

Okay, I need some input from this forum about a recent X-1 delivery. I had ordered a car from a dealer that specified a particular trim, and was reassured that it was being delivered that way. Regardless of the detail spec sheet he had provided me prior to ordering it. So the car arrives and it does not have the interior trim that we wanted. So, you can guess the disappointment from us, and was told by the dealer take it or leave it.
The dealer then proposes that we could buy the interior trim parts to exchange and they would install it for no cost. (a fair deal or not ??) Personally, I had put 5k on my Visa Card towards the purchase of this car and now thinking about filing a grievance based on the car delivered is not what was ordered after being reassured by the dealer prior to putting the order in and waiting for two months. What you guys think ??? ....oh the car is great, but not what we had expected. It also came with Red Stitching for the steering , and red outlines for its floor mats. This was a White on Black interior 2014 X-1, Sport 2.8

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2013, 05:49 PM

Mein Auto: Ordered: X1 sDrive 28i
DEALER Dispute

What did you order?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-20-2013, 06:19 PM

Mein Auto: X1 35i
If the car wasn't ordered to your spec's and its a big deal I'd walk away I'd give the dealer a big old and do this to the salesman ... Sounds like they f'ed up. You could just buy the car and swap out the trim, make sure you get it in writing that they'd do it for free. Also depending on the dealership, when BMW sends out their survey, I would specifically talk about this screw up if it's legit. When BMW screwed up the title on my X1 I couldn't take delivery for 3 days. They ended up giving me a bunch of add-ons for free and added protection such as free-ding repair and the wheel & tire protection.

Take my .02 for what it's worth, but it's really up to you. If you cant live with the car as is then I wouldn't buy it.

- Edge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2013, 06:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i
Re: DEALER Dispute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffchun View Post
I had ordered a car from a dealer that specified a particular trim, and was reassured that it was being delivered that way. Regardless of the detail spec sheet he had provided me prior to ordering it. So the car arrives and it does not have the interior trim that we wanted.
I'm confused. Did the spec sheet that you signed off on have the wrong trim or the right trim?

Old 05-20-2013, 07:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to BimmerBahn
Mein Auto: '16 X5, '17 M3 ZCP (ED)
Quote:
Okay, I need some input from this forum about a recent X-1 delivery. [snip] Personally, I had put 5k on my Visa Card towards the purchase of this car and now thinking about filing a grievance based on the car delivered is not what was ordered after being reassured by the dealer prior to putting the order in and waiting for two months. What you guys think ??? [snip]

First, $5K on a credit card.... was that the req deposit? I would have found another dealer before I did anything like that.... yowzers!

Secondly, Did you get an updated build sheet once the trim change was made? Any emails between you and the CA confirming the change in spec? If not, I think you're screwed. You agreed to the spec sheet provided. I would have raised Cain until I had documentation confirming what I ordered, especially with 5 large invested.

That said, Did you take delivery of the car? If not, check the deposit terms. If you can, get it back and order what you want or find a deal on the lot....and don't give them a $5,000 deposit on a credit card ;-)

Good luck!

regards,

'17 M3 ZCP, '14 X1, '14 535d, '11 E90 335d, '07 E92 335i, '04 E46 330i, '01 E39 M5 - retired -
BMWCCA - 341029

European Delivery: ('14 X1, '14 535d) - September 13, 2013
European Delivery: ('17 M3 ZCP) - October 1, 2016

Old 05-20-2013, 07:57 PM

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
Quote:
Okay, I need some input from this forum about a recent X-1 delivery. I had ordered a car from a dealer that specified a particular trim, and was reassured that it was being delivered that way. Regardless of the detail spec sheet he had provided me prior to ordering it. So the car arrives and it does not have the interior trim that we wanted. So, you can guess the disappointment from us, and was told by the dealer take it or leave it.
The dealer then proposes that we could buy the interior trim parts to exchange and they would install it for no cost. (a fair deal or not ??) Personally, I had put 5k on my Visa Card towards the purchase of this car and now thinking about filing a grievance based on the car delivered is not what was ordered after being reassured by the dealer prior to putting the order in and waiting for two months. What you guys think ??? ....oh the car is great, but not what we had expected. It also came with Red Stitching for the steering , and red outlines for its floor mats. This was a White on Black interior 2014 X-1, Sport 2.8

How desperate are you to have a car now? Can you hold off for the right one?

Buy the interior trim? Horse ****.
They should fix it for nothing.

If you can live with the trim, see if they can compensate you somehow. Money off the final price, extra accessories, anything you can get to make you a happier customer.
If you can't live with the trim, get your money back, bolt, and go to another dealer.

What was the trim you were expecting?
Old 05-20-2013, 09:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1
Stories like this are exactly why I skipped the bay area dealers and ordered from Jon. It really sounds like they f'd up the paperwork and got the exact car they ordered, NOT the car you wanted. I would take my business elsewhere, but then again, I have an extra car, which I know is not always the case for people.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:04 PM

Mein Auto: X1
DEALER Dispute

Check the laws where you are but I believe in this state you may walk away from the deal at any time before you sign the final sales papers. If you aren't happy, get your full deposit refunded and go to another dealer. Walking away may make them change their minds and change out the trim for you. Good luck.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:35 PM

Thanks for your inputs, its very interesting. The specification sheet that was provided initially indicated black trim, the dealer failed to correct it to aluminum. But yet he had assured us by email the delivery would be changed to aluminum trim while placing the order. It was my oversight that I didn't see the "change order". And yes, we did pick up the car with the faulty trim, and yes we did paid $5k on Visa towards the purchase of the car. Dealer failed to do the right thing. Thanks again for all your comments....
Old 05-20-2013, 11:45 PM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '19 330Xi M Sport
Quote:
Thanks for your inputs, its very interesting. The specification sheet that was provided initially indicated black trim, the dealer failed to correct it to aluminum. But yet he had assured us by email the delivery would be changed to aluminum trim while placing the order. It was my oversight that I didn't see the "change order". And yes, we did pick up the car with the faulty trim, and yes we did paid $5k on Visa towards the purchase of the car. Dealer failed to do the right thing. Thanks again for all your comments....
At this point you have lost most of your leverage.

If I were in your position I would offer them the following quid pro quo:

The dealer foot the bill for the trim and the installation in return for excellent scores on the survey.

Otherwise terrible scores on the survey. I imagine the cost of the trim etc. is less than what they would lose out on if your review scores keep them from their BMW service incentives.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Entertaining America Since 1975

European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video:
ED Trip Report:https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=557294
Current:
G20 330i X-Drive M-Sport
Past:
Alfa Romeo Giulia
E90-335d
BMWCCA #448878
Old 05-20-2013, 11:46 PM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '19 330Xi M Sport
Alternatively you could threaten to out them on all of the public BMW forums. That might scare them into correcting the situation

Entertaining America Since 1975

European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video:
ED Trip Report:https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=557294
Current:
G20 330i X-Drive M-Sport
Past:
Alfa Romeo Giulia
E90-335d
BMWCCA #448878
Old 05-21-2013, 06:59 AM

Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
You shouldn't have accepted delivery, that would have forced them to correct the issue quickly. If the dealer won't swap out the trim, contact BMW USA armed with the email. The dealer may do right if you simply let them know you plan to escalate to corporate.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:18 AM

Mein Auto: See Signature
Normally, I would say by accepting the car as is, (presumably without written protest), you've probably lost any leverage. I suspect the dealer will not be particularly concerned about either the survey or the forum "outing."

However, that said, you might have this: you got a 28i Sport. Here is what the 2014 order info guide posted by Jon says:

ZSL Sport Line $1,900
4AT High-Gloss Black Trim or 4B3 Aluminium Trim + $500 (on 28i)

In other words, the Aluminum Trim is a $500 (MSRP) upcharge from the black. Therefore, if you can show you ordered the Aluminum, and the price you were quoted was based on the Aluminum, and then the dealer assured you in writing that you would get what you ordered, I think at the very least they owe you $500. A lawyer might be able to tell you if this behavior rises to the level of fraud. Then we might be talking about leverage after all. In this scenario, I think you should get back the $500, or the dealer should supply and install the trim you paid for.

I am just guessing here, but I suspect from the info you've supplied the dealer got a decent margin on this deal, and they can afford to make it right without suffering too much (which is a side issue but relevant to the likelihood of their seeing reason).

dd: 2017 MB GLC 300
in garage: 2014 Porsche Boxster S
Wife's car: 2015 X5 35d / 2018 X3 M40i on order

retired:
2014 X1 x28i MSport
2012 X3 35i
2011 335d
2008 328i 6mt
2005 325i 5mt
Old 05-21-2013, 09:28 AM

Had punt to VISA with the %k going towards the purchase of the car, next step is Consumers Affairs. Oh by the way, don't expect any support from BMW USA for this type of situation, they will just refer you to the local dealer for some resolution.
Thank-you about the up-charge that is good information to use...
Old 05-21-2013, 10:02 AM

Mein Auto: See Signature
I agree BMW is unlikely to help. I also don't think you will end up getting anywhere with Visa, who, after they learn that you have taken delivery of a well-functioning automobile are most likely to say they can't do anything.

As far as Consumer Affairs.... Here's the thing. What can you document? The key thing here is whether you can document that you received something other than what you bargained for. An email that states you will get aluminum is nice, but in isolation probably not that useful since you ended up taking the car without the aluminum. It seems to me, you need something that at least strongly implies that you bargained for a car with the upgraded aluminum trim, but got something other than that. If you add to that an email from the dealer reassuring you, then I think you can build that into something you can use as leverage against the dealer.

I don't want to be too negative, but lacking that I am not sure what outside agencies can do; it boils down to a case of he-said she-said then.

Honestly, IMHO (and fwiw!), if you can't document that that then all you can do is try to rely on the good will of the dealer and pressure them to "do the right thing." I hope I'm wrong.

dd: 2017 MB GLC 300
in garage: 2014 Porsche Boxster S
Wife's car: 2015 X5 35d / 2018 X3 M40i on order

retired:
2014 X1 x28i MSport
2012 X3 35i
2011 335d
2008 328i 6mt
2005 325i 5mt
Old 05-21-2013, 11:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1
Just my simple opinion, if the interior trim is such a deal breaker, you shouldn't have taken possession of the car. You pretty much lost your leverage at that point by accepting the car as-is.

I outlined to my sales advisor that there are a few things I'm particular on that will cause me to not take delivery if they arrive wrong. This way, expectations are set up front. If these two particular items come back wrong, or anything else, really, I just simply will not take possession of that car until the dealer remedies it. The remedy may not be fixing the specific issue, but some merchandise or extended service plan would certainly go a long way to fixing these mistakes (if they occur).
Old 08-01-2013, 08:27 PM

This was resolved by VISA. They had recognized that the dealer would've charged me twice for this feature (purchase price, replacement trim). Regardless, do not expect the BMWCCA to resolve any grievances with dealers, they just don't do it. I received my trim as ordered and it was installed for free by the dealer. Lesson learned, do not trust any dealer, unless its in writing period.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 Audi Q5 3.2
Too bad the dealer put you through all this. Good to hear it's resolved.

HaveBulldogWillTravel
2006 Mazda Miata GT Winning Blue, Cosworth SC, Axial Flow SSK, FM Stage 2 Susp, Goodwin exhaust, Enkei PF01
2017 VW Tiguan SEL
2018 Ford F-150 RubyRed 4WD Lariat 3.5Ecoboost

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search