How do U clean ur X5 Wheels - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 11-10-2004, 06:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 XDrive 30i
How do U clean ur X5 Wheels

I'm new to X5 detailing, but not detailing in general. Until I got the right wheel brush and technique, I spent more time cleaning my X5 wheels than it took me to clean my previous car!

A friend told me he bought one of those $80 high pressure cleaners to clean his wheels. But, I'm a little apprehensive about using a high pressure cleaner on a continual basis. Any thoughts from the micro fiber crowd?

PhastPhil
2013 328i CV, Crimson Red/Black/Nav/H-K/Convenience/Premium
2009 X5 Silver/Gray
2004 X5 - Gone, but not forgotten
1987 325e (e for extremely slow)gone and trying to forget
2 Wheel BMW 2002 R1150RA, Black - ABS, FI, 3.8 sec 0-60, all other colors at least .1 sec slower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2004, 06:38 PM

Mein Auto:
Wheel cleaner

Try "P21S" (do a google on it)

Its excellent; spray on, brush with soft wheel brush and hose off. All 4 wheels clean in 10 mins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phastphil
I'm new to X5 detailing, but not detailing in general. Until I got the right wheel brush and technique, I spent more time cleaning my X5 wheels than it took me to clean my previous car!

A friend told me he bought one of those $80 high pressure cleaners to clean his wheels. But, I'm a little apprehensive about using a high pressure cleaner on a continual basis. Any thoughts from the micro fiber crowd?
Old 11-10-2004, 06:42 PM

Mein Auto: '11 X5 35d & '12 X5 3.5i
Do you mean the BMW Wheel Cleaner ISN'T AS GOOD?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2004, 01:14 AM

Mein Auto:
Call me dumb (not too loudly) but I use the BMW cleaner and their special brushes. Most aftermarket cleaners I tried weren't as good IMHO.

A quick spray/soak with the cleaner, a few minutes of elbow grease and they come up like new when rinsed.

I found that giving the pad assembly itself a real good squirt with the hose washed out a lot of built up dust and it took longer to build up on the wheels again.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:34 AM

First - I think I put this thread in the wrong place...should have been in the detailing forum, but since we are all here now....I'll just continue.

I use a generic brand of jell wheel cleaner from AutoGeek.com it comes in a gallon size and is a lot less expensive than BMW and P215 which I knew about. I bought a huge 16" brush from them also, which cut down my wheel cleaning time from 45min/4 wheels to about 15min/4wheels. No bad! It really isn't hard work just tidious and I sit on my 5 gal water pail to keep from hurting my back or killing my knees. Since I detail/clean my X5 almost every week, and I also do my my wifes SLK, I feel more like the car wash guy than the owner - but in reality I find it satifiying, good excercise and therapy (no LOL, and NO I won't do your car too). I have always resisted commercial car washes.

However, I was looking for first hand experience with one of these power washers. I see the dealers use them all the time, but they do it cut down on time, not results and they have hundreds of cars to do almost everyday. Don't want to do the whole car, just the wheels. I'm still a micro fiber guy using the two bucket technique.
Old 11-11-2004, 04:47 AM
BMW Fanatic

Mein Auto: BMW
Know the feeling of commercial washers.

Anybody tried the Kleen Wheel brake dust shields? http://www.kleenwheels.com/about_kleenwheels.htm

Would like to know how effective the product is. May be worth if it works.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:00 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMansX5

Anybody tried the Kleen Wheel brake dust shields? http://www.kleenwheels.com/about_kleenwheels.htm

The answer to this question seems simpler to me than the answers yet provided. I don't have any problems cleaning my wheels because I protect them with a wheel wax and then clean them regularly so that brake dust doesn't get baked on. I use 'Wheel Wax' and brake dust just washes off. Any stubborn marks such as tar spots get some extra attention from the wheel wax and they're gone. I've got five cars to keep clean and haven't the time to fight brake dust so 'prevention' seems better than 'cure'.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:23 AM
Hog Town

Mein Auto: 14 F10, 14 F15
For me ever since I got the Axxis pads there have been virtually no brake dust at all. The difference is night and day. Simple soap and water do the trick for me.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:48 PM

Mein Auto:
I've herd of too many warped brake rotors and overheating when using dust sheilds to even think about using them myself.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:45 AM
Hog Town

Mein Auto: 14 F10, 14 F15
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5Jones
I've herd of too many warped brake rotors and overheating when using dust sheilds to even think about using them myself.
I'm using the Axxis Deluxe pad which is made from organic content and is totally rotor-friendly. You must be thinking about the MetalMaster pads which have a high metal content and thus are hard on rotors.
Old 11-12-2004, 03:36 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by breytonX5
I'm using the Axxis Deluxe pad which is made from organic content and is totally rotor-friendly. You must be thinking about the MetalMaster pads which have a high metal content and thus are hard on rotors.
Sorry, I wasn't refurring to the pads, but the shields here from an above post: http://www.kleenwheels.com/about_kleenwheels.htm
I forgot to quote the message
Old 11-28-2004, 05:34 PM

Mein Auto:
Couldn,t stand the dust either. Went to Hawk HPS pads which eliminated 90+% of dust and what you have is beige dust and better stopping power. Soap and water work fine.
John
Old 11-28-2004, 05:37 PM

Mein Auto: .
I don't have an X5, but I use soap, water, and a chenille wash mitt to clean my wheels
Old 11-28-2004, 05:57 PM
RetiredBum

Mein Auto: '01 X5 3.0 '02VetteVert
Cleaning wheels...sorta like "what's your fave stock this Qtr?", lol!

I spray 'em with the hose, liberally spray on Meguiar's Hot Wheels or whatever brand is on sale, let one wheel soak for 2-3 mins, wipe and scrub gently with a wool wash mitt deal using a "car wash soap" mix in warmish water, and hose off. Before all 4 wheels dry, I use an old clean stolen hotel towel to wipe down dry, gently. A quick hit of Z6 or a another occasional coat of Z2 and they are Clean and very shiny. No brushes for me. My 2cts. Now, about my hot stock picks for the next couple of Qtrs, lol!...BR,md
'17 X1 F48 for the CEO, & 3 Assorted M'Cycles.
BMW CCA mem. Tarheel Chapter
My Flickr...Scenes,Cars & Road Trip Pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
Old 11-28-2004, 07:17 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMansX5

Kleen wheels is a near certain way to warp your rotors. Please, please, please do not put that crap on your beautiful 4.8.
Old 11-28-2004, 07:34 PM
BMW Fanatic

Mein Auto: BMW
Thanks. I have decided to stay away from any wheel shields.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:03 AM
Keyser Souze lives!

Mein Auto: '13 E70 35i MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid
Before all 4 wheels dry, I use an old clean stolen hotel towel to wipe down dry, gently.
What chain do you find has the best towels for this purpose?
Old 11-29-2004, 08:44 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan
I can't speak for Uncle Motor, but I'm partial to Holiday Inn Express.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:43 PM

I'm partial to the Ritz Carlton....but since I haven't been there in a while, I now get MicroFiber towels at Costco....a package of at least 10 is only $10. I remember paying that for ONE! Never used Wheel Shields, stands to reason they don't let the rotors dissapate the heat.....resulting in warped rotors.

I'll try the Wheel Wax....I see AutoGeek has it. The PAD replacement would be a consideration, but worried about voiding the warranty. Are any of these aftermarket pads endorsed by BMW?

PhastPhil
2009 X5 Silver/Gray
2 Wheel BMW 2002 R1150RA, Black - ABS, FI, 3.8 sec 0-60, all other colors at least .1 sec slower.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:03 PM
RetiredBum

Mein Auto: '01 X5 3.0 '02VetteVert
Towel Picks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan
RF, That's a funny question!

I wondered if any of the Faves would pick up on that one lil'word,

After 30 yrs of 150 nights/yr on the fooking road, I did, on very infrequent occasion, inadvertently misplace a towel to my suit bag.

They range from handtowels to jumbo bath towels and all grades of quality, though the cotton content had to be 95% plus, or they were not considered.

My personal faves include any "out of the North American continent" Marriott and the Imperial Hotel in Tokyo, though some cheapo Holiday Inn joints' wares have held up surprisingly well.

I have what may be a lifetime supply of m'cycle/car drying-polishing towels; thus, I have since quit that infrequent bad habit.
BR,md (going to hell in a handbasket)
'17 X1 F48 for the CEO, & 3 Assorted M'Cycles.
BMW CCA mem. Tarheel Chapter
My Flickr...Scenes,Cars & Road Trip Pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
Old 11-29-2004, 05:39 PM

MotorDavid,
I travel fairly frequently (this yr 150K on Delta alone) so having the 'pick of the litter' of towels, I also found an occasional towel in my suitcase when I returned home: wonder how that got there? And like you I carefully checked the cotton content, but my standards were just a bit higher: 100% or it was not worth the schlep home. So I recently found some of the Marriott chain sneaking in 100% cotton loop towels, and the rest where polyester: NOT good for anything but picking up oil spills in the garage. But, I went 'cold turkey' when microfiber towels were easy to get, so no more loading up the luggage for this road warrior or is that road king or maybe road star...sorry wrong hobby.

PhastPhil
2009 X5 Silver/Gray

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search