All BMWs Beginner's Guide to BMW ISTA+ - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 12-27-2016, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: Test Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeSkywalter View Post
First Thank you very much for this really great Guide

Can you please tell me what ICOM means? Is it the hardware BMW ICOM A2?
So a simple D+K+P CAN-BUS Interface USB OBD II isn't working or should not be used??
Integrated Communication Optical Module (ICOM). It is physical hardware.

P.g. 3 of Guide: All listed under interfaces are connection. K+DCAN will work with E-series.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2016, 12:31 AM

Mein Auto: 320D E91
THX
Old 01-07-2017, 02:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 E84 x28i
Bumping this thread. Too many questions about ISTA+, ISTA/P, ISTA-D
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2017, 05:09 PM

Mein Auto: E65
Can I run it on Win xp and what ediabas version i need?
Old 01-08-2017, 04:52 AM

Mein Auto: 15 M4, MG/SO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reclaimer View Post
Bumping this thread. Too many questions about ISTA+, ISTA/P, ISTA-D
Hi @reclaimer, I think this should be stickied, although most noobs don't even know about stickies did you ask the mods or admin to sticky it?
Old 01-08-2017, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
Hi @reclaimer, I think this should be stickied, although most noobs don't even know about stickies did you ask the mods or admin to sticky it?
PM'd founder and it is now sticky.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Thanks A.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Awesome! Thx.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:58 AM

I didn't run the registry thinges and I dint have the umblocked option before unzip. So I did it now and restart. Then download again but in megadownloader the file name is UNBLOCK.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:30 AM

So,finally i go Ista + installed with the big help of RECLAIMER. I mean he did most of the work. I will test it on my car later.

So i had win xp first then i had to format my hdd to install win 7 for Ista+. I installed it in 32 bits cuz i was thinking that ncs expert dont work on 64bits, but its working.
Ok so i had some problems with the registry unblocker but in the end was good,with the help of RECLAIMER.

To MAKE ISTA+ to work have to install net framework 4.6.2 and my Win 7 ultimate blocked. I had to start Win Update to update to SP1. After that it worked net framework and after some more driver installing I could start Ista+. So to make ISTA+ work properly, follow the Beginner's Guide Its simple and easy to use.

- Install .NET 4.6.2
- Install VC ++ 2015
- Install EDIABAS
- Configure cable
Old 01-30-2017, 09:14 PM

Mein Auto: F25 X3, Max Psi M3
I was able to install ISTA+ from the link provided by Reclaimer. Thanks for the download and the resources. It was a very straightforward process and everything installed without a hitch. I'm using the ENET cable for my F25. The cable shows up with the VIN number but when I hit setup connection it gives me an error IFH-0035 configuration error. I already have INPA and EasyDIS installed for my e46, could it be the Ediabas file I edited for the EasyDIS diaghead is throwing off the ENET cable somehow or does the ENET cable even use the ediabas.ini file?

Thanks,

Dan

Last edited by SnailedM3; 01-30-2017 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnailedM3 View Post
...The cable shows up with the VIN number but when I hit setup connection it gives me an error IFH-0035 configuration error. I already have INPA and EasyDIS installed for my e46, could it be the Ediabas file I edited for the EasyDIS diaghead is throwing off the ENET cable somehow or does the ENET cable even use the ediabas.ini file? ...
Quote:
IFH-0035: CONFIGURATION ERROR
EDIABAS_IFH_0035
Meaning:
At least one configuration element in one of the interface configuration files is incorrectly configured.

Causes:
Erroneous configuration e.g. of an EDIC API configuration element.
Yep, ediasbas is used by ISTA! Check your ediabas.ini settings for the EDIABAS in use, as you had INPA, you will have two EDIABAS, one from the BMW Standard tools installed in c:\ediabas\bin, and one from ISTA in c:\Rheingold\ediabas\bin.

When you install BMW Standard Tools, it set up a system env var: EDIABAS_CONFIG_DIR = C:\EDIABAS\BIN\, and adds it to the PATH. ISTA standalone does not modify env variables but uses relative path setup in ISTAGUI.exe.config , so in theory it should be pointing to the right place. (two key ENET ediabas.ini settings, Interface = ENET, [XEthernet]RemoteHost = Autodetect for a direct connection APIPA)

Check your ISTA logs (c:\rheingold\logs) to see where it is pointing to, search for "EdiabasBinPath" and "Resulting bin path". GL.

Last edited by aboulfad; 01-31-2017 at 05:00 AM.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
Yep, ediasbas is used by ISTA! Check your ediabas.ini settings for the EDIABAS in use, as you had INPA, you will have two EDIABAS, one from the BMW Standard tools installed in c:\ediabas\bin, and one from ISTA in c:\Rheingold\ediabas\bin.

When you install BMW Standard Tools, it set up a system env var: EDIABAS_CONFIG_DIR = C:\EDIABAS\BIN\, and adds it to the PATH. ISTA standalone does not modify env variables but uses relative path setup in ISTAGUI.exe.config , so in theory it should be pointing to the right place. (two key ENET ediabas.ini settings, Interface = ENET, [XEthernet]RemoteHost = Autodetect for a direct connection APIPA)

Check your ISTA logs (c:\rheingold\logs) to see where it is pointing to, search for "EdiabasBinPath" and "Resulting bin path". GL.
Try what Aboulfad suggested first.

Also check VCI Config and see what it is set to. For ENET you can select "HD-ICOM/ENET Local and ISIS Network" option vs. selecting EDIABAS as interface type. Make sure you set your IP info in ISTA+ for ENET. You can also choose "HO-ICOM/ENET direct connection" without using an IP. Check the guide for instructions on setting up your cable type.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:05 AM

Thanks for the help. I checked the path for Ediabas.ini and it points to the rheingold folder. I changed the interface in the configuration file to ENET and made sure the other setting was auto detect. Under VCI config I have it set to HD-ICOM/ENET Local and ISIS Network. I also have the LAN IP address and subnet set under properties. I got the same error this morning after trying Aboulfad's directions. I'll play with it a little more after work. It's strange the cable shows up when I go the complete car identification but it errors at setup connection. When I use inpa and easydis, Ediabas opens and shows up in the Taskbar but when I open ISTA, it doesn't show up on the Taskbar. It doesn't show up after trying to open it manually under the BIN folder in rheingold either. Maybe I need to reinstall it. There is no "driver" for the ENET cable correct?

Last edited by SnailedM3; 01-31-2017 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:14 AM

Did you change the EDIABAS.ini file in both places, in your main EDIABAS installation (assuming C:\EDIABAS) and also in ~\Rheingold\Ediabas\bin? I remember having to do this before, once.

In your Rheingold EDIABAS.ini and in C:\EDIABAS\bin\EDIABAS.ini files, it should look like below, it should not point to Rheingold folder (ignore the OBD, its set to use K+DCAN, you'll need ENET):

Code:
;=============================================================================
[Configuration]
;=============================================================================
Interface        = STD:OBD
Simulation       = 0

EcuPath          = C:\EDIABAS\ECU
SimulationPath   = C:\EDIABAS\SIM
TracePath        = C:\Windows\Temp
Old 01-31-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnailedM3 View Post
I also have the LAN IP address and subnet set under properties.
Which properties ??? are you using an ENET direct connection to your car (no ICOM) , which in that case your PC should not be manually configured (not needed), the PC and the car will fall back using APIPA and configure each other using 169.254/16.

Quote:
When I use inpa and easydis, Ediabas opens and shows up in the Taskbar but when I open ISTA, it doesn't show up on the Taskbar. It doesn't show up after trying to open it manually under the BIN folder in rheingold either. Maybe I need to reinstall it. There is no "driver" for the ENET cable correct?
There is an ediabas.ini setting that controls showing or not the icon tray: ShowIcon
On your next try, check before you launch anything that there is no ediabas in taskmanager, rename c:\ediabas to c:\ediabas.old and then relaunch ISTA.

This way you are guaranteed that there is no "mysterious" gremlins doing funny stuff on your PC...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vci_config.jpg
Views:	561
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	588302  

Last edited by aboulfad; 01-31-2017 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:20 PM

The file in the main installation is set up for my K+DCAN cable. I'll make a copy of the file and change it for the ENET cable as well and see if that helps.
*edit, thanks I'll try that when I get a chance. I tried the HCOM/ ISIS network but I'll change it to direct connection and remove the LAN settings from my network settings under the computer's control panel.

Last edited by SnailedM3; 01-31-2017 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:45 PM

It's alive! I renamed the other ediabas file and deleted my IP config and was able to connect. Now the new RDC antenna works. It was marked as new unit needing to be encoded but clearing the errors seems to have gotten it working. Thanks for compiling all the software and helping me troubleshoot it!

Edit...it still needs to be encoded. I guess I'll head over and request ista p.

Last edited by SnailedM3; 01-31-2017 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:30 PM

Old 02-18-2017, 10:52 AM

Mein Auto: F11
One question:
Does ISTA+ has some sort of manual stored inside? Lets say I need an engine rebuild, does it have some manual how to put things back together, without connecting it to the car?
Old 02-18-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaver1002 View Post
One question:
Does ISTA+ has some sort of manual stored inside? Lets say I need an engine rebuild, does it have some manual how to put things back together, without connecting it to the car?
ISTA+ has procedures that can be reviewed without connecting to the car. Read the section about offline viewing using your VIN.

Sent from Bimmerfest App
Old 02-19-2017, 10:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW E46 318i Sedan
ISTA/D problem

Hi,

When I try to do a complete identification of the car the Error message appears: The vehicle could not be identified. Please check the access to the vehicle and check whether the testing-analysis-diagnosis has been activated.

BMW E46 2001 318i
K+DCAN silver cable (no physical switch)
ISTA works fine if I use the VIN tab or Basic Features tab under Operations

Ignition on > connect cable from laptop to car > start ISTA > Settings > VCI Config > Ediabas > Operations > Read Out Vehicle Data > Complete Identification > Error message

Any ideas? Please help!

Thank you!
Old 02-21-2017, 04:03 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 528i
Please help me! I was trying to install ISTA following the install guide exactly, but I got this error message while running the ITSAGUI (step 8 Run ISTAGUI shortcut from your desktop as administrator).

What could have gone wrong? The computer is a i3 with 4GB ram running windows 7 with SP1.

Thanks a lot!

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 02-21-2017, 04:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldE39 View Post
Please help me! I was trying to install ISTA following the install guide exactly, but I got this error message while running the ITSAGUI (step 8 Run ISTAGUI shortcut from your desktop as administrator).
Make sure you installed all prerequisite software.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 528i
Quote:
Make sure you installed all prerequisite software.

You are right, I didn't install the prerequisite software, but it's not there in the download link:

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
diagnostics, ista+, procedure, programming, repair, rheingold

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming
Today's Posts Search