Bmw vs Tesla - Page 9 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)

F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
The sixth generation of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) was produced from 2011 - 2016 with LCI updates arriving in 2014. In the US BMW offered a hatchback 5 Series Gran Truismo (F07) and the rest of the world also go a Station Wagon/Touring version F11.

Old 08-19-2019, 06:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: SF Bay Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Like I've said, there isn't enough land for the necessary solar panels (can they be stacked?); unless we want to give up land needed for our food (unless Soylent Green is appealing) and windmills are killing birds left and right. They're also UGLY! Gotta dam rivers for hydro... try and get that past the tree-huggers.
California, one of the most "green" energy states in the country still gets 45 to 50 percent of its power from natural gas. The Tesla fan boys always forget that part when they try to say they are "saving the world".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2019, 08:04 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 528i xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty150hs View Post
California, one of the most "green" energy states in the country still gets 45 to 50 percent of its power from natural gas. The Tesla fan boys always forget that part when they try to say they are "saving the world".
Iím in Illinois and our power comes from nuclear power plants, which makes it cheap and environmentally friendly. Thatís just a side benefit to me I purchased a Tesla to save on fuel costs which it has immensely.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:08 PM

Mein Auto: SF Bay Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by mull6 View Post
Iím in Illinois and our power comes from nuclear power plants, which makes it cheap and environmentally friendly. Thatís just a side benefit to me I purchased a Tesla to save on fuel costs which it has immensely.
I agree in places like your's where power is actually "green", electric cars make sense. Otherwise? Not so much.
Old Yesterday, 04:11 PM
What's this thingie do...

Mein Auto: 2001 530i, 1985 325e
Quote:
So... You were responsible for our crap radars. The digitized stuff was crap. Give me raw RADAR any day where I KNOW where the target is, not where a computer says it is! We started getting so much wonky tracking when the ASR-9 was installed. I liked the 4, 7 & 8 much better.
Actually, I built AC&W, height finder, and IFF integration. Not to mention testing radar prototypes. We guaranteed the target was where it was painted before handing off to the FAA or whomever our client was. I know people that assembled the ATC consoles, and even still have some of the electroluminescent backlights.

Quote:
The FAA went to a mosaic type RADAR for TRACONs. It was giving us ghost targets all over the place. I asked the automation guy if the system worked anywhere. He said it sorta worked at one facility (this was a few years ago). I asked him hoe many RADARs were feeding the system and he said 2. I commented that it "sorta works" with 2 inputs and we were trying to input 11 RADARs? Their "solution" to reduce ghost targets (which will add a few gray hairs when one pops-up right in front of one of your guys) was reduce the inputs. Some solution.
Now I'm REALLY glad I didn't take a regional FAA Admin. up on his job offer!

Quote:
All I know about computers is what I learned back in the day (FORTRAN was the thing)Ö garbage in garbage out.

Yu are apparently a software guy. I always love how the software guys blame the hardware guys and the hardware guys blame the software guys.
I did Fortran IV back in the 60's, but I'm a hardware guy.

Quote:
BTW, IIRC the very first cars were electric so the tech is far from new. Improved? ABSOLUTELY (as is the ICE). New? No. And I'm not against EVs. I'm against Minority Report type vehicles.
Damn, I just watched that again a few days ago. Jay Leno had one out on his show.

PS... If the FAA relied more on raw paints, 9/11 may have turned out differently, since when you combine Raw & IFF correctly, the sucker that turns off his beacon stands out like a sore thumb - a paint w/o a squwak!
Old Yesterday, 04:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABN View Post
7-I personally do not like when you release the gas pedal it slows you down . I understand itís for charging purposes
You can program the car to not do this if it really bothers you. It's actually easy to get used to and I found that in no time I prefer it so I'm not going between gas and brakes all the time. It also helps the brakes last longer.
Old Yesterday, 07:02 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 528i xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABN View Post
1-second highest car to insure
2- good luck if get in an accident. Takes forever to repair and any little fender bender gets extremely expensive
3-availability of parts not good. I hope you don't break the glass . Takes months to get a windshield
4-lack of charging stations/ only 250-300 range. Even if you don't do that mileage in one day it's annoying having the low range. Also Tesla recommends not fully charging your battery or going under 10 %
5- you will need a new battery Between 75k-200k miles. At the cost of $20,000 +++
6-lack of features compared to other high end cars
7-I personally do not like when you release the gas pedal it slows you down . I understand it's for charging purposes
8-out of warranty only Tesla can service them no independent repair shops around.
9- who wants to wait 1-3hours to charge on a long trip

I personally only care about the autopilot feature. That is the greatest feature of all in my book.

If you don't like the way the car slows down when letting off gas pedal then you can turn the regenerative braking system off. To me this is one of the best features of the car, it's like being able to downshift perfectly smooth with your foot on the gas pedal.

I absolutely love this feature I can slow the car down very smoothly and never take my foot off the gas pedal. So when you come out of the turn or are ready to accelerate your foot is already on the gas pedal. It makes driving much more fun and enjoyable.

Last edited by mull6; Today at 10:29 AM.
Old Yesterday, 08:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryOne View Post
PS... If the FAA relied more on raw paints, 9/11 may have turned out differently, since when you combine Raw & IFF correctly, the sucker that turns off his beacon stands out like a sore thumb - a paint w/o a squwak!
Ain't that the truth!! They also took out all our IFF decoders so we couldn't read the trace if we wanted to.

I do like Tesla's "fart function!" I'm sure once hackers get into the system there'll be many more sounds available!

Mike
2014 535i M Sport, Carbon Black/Black (mine)
2012 535i, Dark Graphite II/Oyster (wife's)
Joshua 24:15; Phil 4:13
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f10-535i-lim/
Old Today, 09:41 AM
What's this thingie do...

Mein Auto: 2001 530i, 1985 325e
Quote:

I do like Tesla's "fart function!" I'm sure once hackers get into the system there'll be many more sounds available!
Somehow I've never needed help in that department.
Old Today, 10:00 AM

Look out Tesla... Kommiefornya's coming for you! From the legislative year that closed last Friday:

Requires Tesla to either unionize with the United Auto Workers Union, or forfeit State incentives to buy their electric cars.

Mike
Old Today, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryOne View Post
Somehow I've never needed help in that department.
SoooÖ You're using gas anyway??

Mike
Old Today, 01:15 PM

Mein Auto: '14 F10 550 & '13 F10 528
Quote:
Look out Tesla... Kommiefornya's coming for you! From the legislative year that closed last Friday:

Requires Tesla to either unionize with the United Auto Workers Union, or forfeit State incentives to buy their electric cars.
To be fair - Tesla brought that upon themselves by having one of the worse records of safety and safety procedures in the manufacturing sector. They didn't do anything about it - that's exactly when you do need legislation and unions to protect workers from management decisions.

Also, can we hurry up and shoot Elon at Mars soon?

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
Today's Posts Search