Website for cheap international airline tickets (flexible dates)? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. **Note** - Political posting is not allowed (or welcome) at Bimmerfest.

Old 04-26-2004, 04:03 PM

Mein Auto:
Website for cheap international airline tickets (flexible dates)?

Can anyone recommend a good website for finding cheap international air travel (to italy)? My dates are very flexible but most of the sites I've seen don't let you do a broad search for the cheapest fare if you're flying international. I want to go for cheap and I have a whole month open so I ought to be able to find something less than $1500...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2004, 04:28 PM
Over-the-Hill

Mein Auto: '13 x5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupcan325i
Can anyone recommend a good website for finding cheap international air travel (to italy)? My dates are very flexible but most of the sites I've seen don't let you do a broad search for the cheapest fare if you're flying international. I want to go for cheap and I have a whole month open so I ought to be able to find something less than $1500...
Are you looking only for airfare, or hotel, etc? Any particular destination? Any room in your suitcase for...

Old 04-26-2004, 04:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via ICQ to milski Send a message via MSN to milski
Mein Auto: dirty 330i
You want be able to find good discounts for internationl airfairs on the web, you'll need to talk to a travel agency for a really good price. The reason for this is that ICAO sets a minimum price on international tickets at which the airline can sell them. The only way to go below this price is through a volume discount that travel agencies get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2004, 04:40 PM

Mein Auto:
Right now I only need airfare. Once there, I'm hoping to invite myself over to a friend's place.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:43 PM
Over-the-Hill

Mein Auto: '13 x5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupcan325i
Right now I only need airfare. Once there, I'm hoping to invite myself over to a friend's place.
What city would you want to fly into? Also, call a travel agent as milski suggested. They often buy blocks of tix and deals can be found.

Otherwise, just try all the biggies like expedia and travelocity so you can compare. You might also try the airlines directly as they are often more competitive these days.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:33 PM

Mein Auto:
What's a travel agent? You mean to tell me there's a way to buy tickets without using the internet?
Old 04-26-2004, 05:46 PM

Send a message via ICQ to milski Send a message via MSN to milski
Mein Auto: dirty 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa
What city would you want to fly into? Also, call a travel agent as milski suggested. They often buy blocks of tix and deals can be found.

Otherwise, just try all the biggies like expedia and travelocity so you can compare. You might also try the airlines directly as they are often more competitive these days.
Note: The way it works for international tickets is different from domestic ones.

Airlines are the ones that are not allowed to sell you ticket for lower than a certain price for the route. Big internet sites are not better in any way, since they can only resell the tickets from the airlines, they cannot get travel agent discounts (not exactly sure why they can't), so you can forget about them too.

Yes, you'll have to _talk_ to the travel agent, unless you find an agency which has a web site which would do reservations. I'm not aware of one but it is not impossible.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:54 PM

Mein Auto: 04 X5, 01 330i
Whatever you do, I'd recommend not flying Nothwest Airlines. In my seven years going back and forth from the US to Europe, Nothwest was by far, the worst airline I've ever flown on. Sometimes, cheaper may not be better.

As Melissa mentioned above, try a search on Travelocity.com or the airline directly. Since it's summertime and the fuel prices are high, your airfare may be pretty expensice.

Just my .02 worth.

Good luck, Dan
Old 04-26-2004, 09:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i M-Sport EB
I use Travelocity low fare notification service. You choose the destinations you want to track and it will e-mail you when there is a drop in price. What I like about the service is that will tell you for example: New price NYC -Rome $850. When you click on the link it will display 3 months at a time showing the dates the specific fare is available. After choosing your departure date it will display 3 months at time with dates that are available to return for the advertised fare. I think this does what you are looking for.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic
Today's Posts Search