BMW Update for M3 Coupe/Convertible with S54 Engines - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1M & M2

1M & M2

Old 08-30-2004, 12:24 PM
BMW NA Customer Relations

Mein Auto: B M W
BMW Update for M3 Coupe/Convertible with S54 Engines

I'm with BMW of North America, LLC (BMW NA). BMW NA is conducting a service action for S54 engines in E46 M3 Coupe/Convertible produced from February 12, 2001 and May 22, 2003. We are in the process of mailing notification letters to affected customers.

Our ongoing quality testing revealed that the connecting rod bearings installed in certain M3 Coupe/Convertible with S54 engines were not manufactured to BMW quality standards. As a result, the connecting rod bearings are susceptible to overheating and subsequent premature failure if the vehicle is operated at higher engine speeds over an extended timeframe.

BMW conducted a service action in March 2003 involving S54 engines in M3 Coupe/Convertible. At that time BMW found certain engines experienced premature failure due to contamination of the engine lubricating system during assembly in combination with unfavorable tolerances in the engine oil pump. In addition to the service action, BMW extended the warranty for all internal mechanical engine components that are lubricated by engine oil for a period of 6 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first for all model year 2001, 2002, and 2003 BMW’s equipped with S54 engines.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this issue has caused affected customers. If you have any questions, please contact your authorized BMW center, BMW NA Customer Relations, (800)-831-1117 or send us an email through our website at bmwusa.com.

Old 08-30-2004, 01:16 PM
Rocket Scientist

Mein Auto: 2010 M3 and 2011 135i
But once again they are not doing the service action for M Coupes and Roadsters with S54 engines (2001 and 2002 model years). The 400 rpm difference in the redline is a load of crap. The MZ3s are relegated to second class citizen status. At least we got the extended warranty and I'm not sure I want someone messing with my engine's guts anyway .
Old 08-31-2004, 09:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 991 Carrera
I just happened to have an appointment for Inspection I today. I mentioned the new service bulletin to the service advisor and he hadn't heard of it. We pulled up Bimmerfest on his desktop, he copied the number down, then went to the shop to pull it up. He then gave me an 11 page copy of the bulletin, complete with parts list and step by step instructions. I later talked to the service manager and he said their regional advisor had mentioned it to him last Friday. It would appear from the bulletin that they want to replace the bearings in ALL vehicles, not just ones that break. The question is when will they start, it does not appear that they are ready to start performing the service yet. On another note, I asked for an opinion of the paint quality on the front facia of my car. The car has been in service 14 months and there are small spots around the foglights where the paint is very rough feeling, almost bubbling up. Some rock chips, especially on the lower lip have developed into flaky areas. Kind of hard to tell what they will decide, he says the regional rept will have to make the call on something of this nature. They may chalk it up to normal wear and tear, I think it's a pretty crappy paint job for a $50K car, I am hoping they offer up a repaint of the front bumper and facia. Meanwhile, waiting is ok in my Z4 loaner...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2004, 07:32 AM

Mein Auto:
I dropped my 02 M3 off today for a door seal replacement and they informed me of the recall. They are going to do the work while its there. Looked like they already had a couple up on the racks as well.

Brian
Old 09-01-2004, 07:50 AM
2001 M3:Stick, what else?

Mein Auto: ///MMMmmm good
I wonder if this affects Canada.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 991 Carrera
Got a call from my service advisor. They have completed my Inspection I and my car is ready for pickup. They are not going to do the service bulletin yet as it has not been authorized for them to start. They will have me bring the car by next time the regional service manager is there to have him inspect the paint.
Old 09-02-2004, 05:23 AM

Mein Auto:
Slightly OT

What is the deal with the door seals. Xiled1 had his done, I've had mine done, an '04 M3 demo I drove had the door seal hanging down.....Is BMW going to replace these for the life of the car. Anyone had it done on an out of waranty car?
Old 09-02-2004, 01:14 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldzguy
What is the deal with the door seals. Xiled1 had his done, I've had mine done, an '04 M3 demo I drove had the door seal hanging down.....Is BMW going to replace these for the life of the car. Anyone had it done on an out of waranty car?

I was told that they fail about once a year. The glue holding them together can't stand up to the extreme heat here in AZ. I think it gets pretty hot down there in TX as well so may be same reason. Just make sure they fail right before your warranty ends. Then they will have a 2 year/unlimitted mileage parts warranty on the door seal only.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1M & M2
Today's Posts Search