Oil Leak under the drivers side of the car?? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series

3 Series & 4 Series
The BMW 3 Series and 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 11-01-2004, 07:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Something German
Oil Leak under the drivers side of the car??

Ok so I changed my control arm bushings tonight, actually it was a pretty easy job. When I pulled down the skid plate underneath I noticed some oil on a few parts on the drivers side closer to the front. Here are a few pics, I dont think this is normal, what around that side could be causing it. Its not enough that it ever dripped around the skid plate onto the floor of the garage because that is always clean. Help lol!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oil1.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	39380   Click image for larger version

Name:	oil2.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	39381   Click image for larger version

Name:	oil3.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	39382   Click image for larger version

Name:	oil4.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	39383   Click image for larger version

Name:	oil5.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	39384  

Old 11-02-2004, 06:13 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Oil from leaks tends to travel & spread out away from the leak. The best way would be to clean the area thoroughly with something like Castrol degreaser, then monitor it over the next few days to determine the source of the leak. Check the tightness of all your oilpan bolts, but don`t over-torque them.

Regards,
Bob

Last edited by Fast Bob; 11-02-2004 at 06:15 AM.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:39 AM

Thanks bob, its definetly not enough that my oil level is low, but it does worry me a bit.

Old 11-02-2004, 09:54 PM

Mein Auto: E90 M3
staszek, looks like power steering hose leaks. Don't mess with your oil pan! Very common on E46 cars, especially when you get a bit of mileage on them. The hose going from the fluid tank to the pump (the one that is wet in your pic) is notorious for leaking. I'm not a fan of the factory style hose clamps on the ps hoses. You might be able to get away with cutting off the clamps and installing new ones. Replacing the hose and clamps is a better choice. I also noticed signs of oil leakage near the radiator drain plug. There are 2 hoses that run to the cooler (one from the fluid tank, one from the rack). One of these are probably seeping also. You might want to look at replacing the leaking hose and o-rings. definitly clean off the area (brake cleaner is my friend ) , and see what hoses are leaking. it is not uncommon to see several of these hoses leaking. Good luck.
Old 11-03-2004, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetk14
staszek, looks like power steering hose leaks. Don't mess with your oil pan! Very common on E46 cars, especially when you get a bit of mileage on them. The hose going from the fluid tank to the pump (the one that is wet in your pic) is notorious for leaking. I'm not a fan of the factory style hose clamps on the ps hoses. You might be able to get away with cutting off the clamps and installing new ones. Replacing the hose and clamps is a better choice. I also noticed signs of oil leakage near the radiator drain plug. There are 2 hoses that run to the cooler (one from the fluid tank, one from the rack). One of these are probably seeping also. You might want to look at replacing the leaking hose and o-rings. definitly clean off the area (brake cleaner is my friend ) , and see what hoses are leaking. it is not uncommon to see several of these hoses leaking. Good luck.

Great thanks alot!! I had someone else tell me the same thing as you about the power steering hose. I have to get it up on a rack and get to work looking around. Thanks again for all the help! My Bentley manual comes in tomorrow so that will help a bit!

PS: the car has 108k on it!! Still runs great though!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series
Today's Posts Search