99 540 over heating - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series

5 Series
Ask questions and discuss the 5 Series here. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-23-2004, 12:57 PM
hg71 hg71 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 13
Mein Auto:
99 540 over heating

I just had my 99 540 start overheating and white smoke started blowing what looks to be out of my exhaust. Does that mean my 0-rings are blown? seals? I filled the radiator up and the fluid was coming out from the mid part of the engine underneath.

Anyone have a similiar problem? what is the repair procedure?

Thanks

sad to say, I'm at 135k miles and I think its time to get rid of the 540

Thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 12-23-2004, 02:45 PM
markseven markseven is offline
an audience of One
Location: Austin, TX
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 7,856
Mein Auto: '04 325iTA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hg71
I just had my 99 540 start overheating and white smoke started blowing what looks to be out of my exhaust. Does that mean my 0-rings are blown? seals? I filled the radiator up and the fluid was coming out from the mid part of the engine underneath.

Anyone have a similiar problem? what is the repair procedure?

Thanks

sad to say, I'm at 135k miles and I think its time to get rid of the 540

Thanks for the help
Sounds to me like a blown head gasket - white smoke = water in the combustion chamber.

-Mark
__________________
I Timothy 2:1-2
  #3  
Old 12-23-2004, 05:51 PM
TheMatrixz TheMatrixz is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Boston, MA, USA
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 237
Mein Auto: 540IT
Quote:
Originally Posted by markseven
Sounds to me like a blown head gasket - white smoke = water in the combustion chamber.

-Mark

That sounds right. Don't start up that engine again before repairing, it's bad, you can seize it.
__________________


'99 540IT (for sale)
'99 528IT (Past)
'07 530xiT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 12-23-2004, 08:44 PM
markseven markseven is offline
an audience of One
Location: Austin, TX
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 7,856
Mein Auto: '04 325iTA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrixz
That sounds right. Don't start up that engine again before repairing, it's bad, you can seize it.
Hey Tan,

Where ya been? I haven't seen a post from GJR or zerofighter in a while, either.

-Mark
__________________
I Timothy 2:1-2
  #5  
Old 12-24-2004, 02:44 AM
TheMatrixz TheMatrixz is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Boston, MA, USA
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 237
Mein Auto: 540IT
Quote:
Originally Posted by markseven
Hey Tan,

Where ya been? I haven't seen a post from GJR or zerofighter in a while, either.

-Mark

I've been busy with the year end projects at work, but still read the messages every few days.

How's the ultimate driving touring?

Tan
__________________


'99 540IT (for sale)
'99 528IT (Past)
'07 530xiT
  #6  
Old 12-24-2004, 05:54 AM
hg71 hg71 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 13
Mein Auto:
head gaskets

Any idea what head gaskets will cost?

thanks for all the help
  #7  
Old 12-24-2004, 07:48 AM
TheMatrixz TheMatrixz is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Boston, MA, USA
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 237
Mein Auto: 540IT
Quote:
Originally Posted by hg71
Any idea what head gaskets will cost?

thanks for all the help
It's a tough call, the head gasket isn't that expensive, but the labor can be. You'll want to tell the tech. also whether the engine had been overheated frequently or not pricor to this incident, they might determine to have the engine block "x-ray" to find cracks, which can be the cause of coolant coming into the chambers.

How did this happen? did you run your car through deep water at all? It happened to me years ago with my E30, cold water got sucked into the engine causing hairline cracks. The insurance company paid for a rebuilt engine under "natural disaster, flood". If your situation is similar, check with your ins. agencyt first, they might be able to do something, the keyword is "natural disaster". Hint, hint.

Good luck.

Tan
__________________


'99 540IT (for sale)
'99 528IT (Past)
'07 530xiT
  #8  
Old 12-24-2004, 07:58 AM
hg71 hg71 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 13
Mein Auto:
Not sure how it happened... I believe it may have happened over a period of time. The coolant light came on and I checked the system and it seemed to need coolant, which I added. Then about 500 miles later I noticed a light smoke coming out of the exhaust. It continued to increase and within 4 mins. the car overheated to the top. I then pulled over and had it towed to my mechaninc.

Is the head gasket a difficult task? Should a bmw specialist or dealer preform or is my "oil change" mechanic ok to do?

has anyone ever tried or heard of Thermagasket's Carbon and Metal Alloy
Head and Block Repair System? Looks as though it could be a "quick" fix.

THanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrixz
It's a tough call, the head gasket isn't that expensive, but the labor can be. You'll want to tell the tech. also whether the engine had been overheated frequently or not pricor to this incident, they might determine to have the engine block "x-ray" to find cracks, which can be the cause of coolant coming into the chambers.

How did this happen? did you run your car through deep water at all? It happened to me years ago with my E30, cold water got sucked into the engine causing hairline cracks. The insurance company paid for a rebuilt engine under "natural disaster, flood". If your situation is similar, check with your ins. agencyt first, they might be able to do something, the keyword is "natural disaster". Hint, hint.

Good luck.

Tan

Last edited by Ågent99; 12-29-2004 at 03:02 PM.
  #9  
Old 12-24-2004, 08:02 AM
markseven markseven is offline
an audience of One
Location: Austin, TX
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 7,856
Mein Auto: '04 325iTA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrixz
I've been busy with the year end projects at work, but still read the messages every few days.

How's the ultimate driving touring?

Tan
As of Jan 1, the Touring will become my daily driver. The Corolla that I was commuting in has gone to my parents. I'm really excited to drive the 540 on a regular basis (I've put just under 3k on her in 6 months), I hope I don't get any speeding tickets

-Mark
__________________
I Timothy 2:1-2
  #10  
Old 12-25-2004, 07:35 AM
TheMatrixz TheMatrixz is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Boston, MA, USA
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 237
Mein Auto: 540IT
I don't know and actually haven't heard of the quick fixes, but from the sound of it, I don't think it'll fix it for more than a day. The engine is stressed all the time, any vibration could break that temporary seal . Rebuilding engine isn't cheap, but it might be your only choice. Hopefully you only have to replace the head gasket. I'm no expert, so please take it with a grain of salt. In the meanwhile, try NOT starting up that engine.

Mark, the 540IT is addictive, I've been driving the 528IT more often lately due to winter road condition, they spread rocksalt and sand on the roads here when it snows, that damages the paint, hood headlights,... you name it. I got rid of my wife's Camry also, too boring.
  #11  
Old 12-25-2004, 08:20 AM
markseven markseven is offline
an audience of One
Location: Austin, TX
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 7,856
Mein Auto: '04 325iTA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrixz
Mark, the 540IT is addictive, I've been driving the 528IT more often lately due to winter road condition, they spread rocksalt and sand on the roads here when it snows, that damages the paint, hood headlights,... you name it. I got rid of my wife's Camry also, too boring.
Hi Tan,

The freeway that I drive the most here in OC, is the 91. There's a quarry of some sort off the freeway somewhere, and there are ALWAYS gravel trucks spewing rocks all over the road. Five co-workers have had their windshields replaced due to these gravel trucks/flying, bouncing rocks. I'll have to say a prayer specifically for my 540's safety

-Mark
__________________
I Timothy 2:1-2
  #12  
Old 12-25-2004, 10:11 PM
Lscman Lscman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 344
Mein Auto: 540i 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by hg71
I just had my 99 540 start overheating and white smoke started blowing what looks to be out of my exhaust. Does that mean my 0-rings are blown? seals? I filled the radiator up and the fluid was coming out from the mid part of the engine underneath.

Anyone have a similiar problem? what is the repair procedure?

Thanks

sad to say, I'm at 135k miles and I think its time to get rid of the 540

Thanks for the help
The BMW aluminum motors are not tolerant to neglect. This machine is nothing like a Ford or Chevy cast iron motor that can tolerate 5 miles or more on low fluid. Low fluid should NEVER happen with the MID speedo pixel warning display and chimes. You have days to top off, unless the level sensor is bad. By the time the temp sensor shows overheating, the motor often has been damaged.

It's likely you warped a cylinder head from overheating & low on fluid which caused the one or both head gaskets to let go. Figure a good shop or dealer and about $2K to repair. It is costly due to valvetrain complexity (4 overhead cams) and cam re-timing jigs & procedure. At this point, the car can NOT be driven and the coolant will soon ruin your motor just from sitting in combustion chamber and affecting oil, bearings and rings. Figure about $10K if that happens. Save yourself about $8K & get it fixed immediately. Don't try the stop leak in a can route your trading it in immediately. If it holds at all, it will only last hours with such a serious leak (exhaust steam). I'd face reality and pay the going rate for a proper repair where they replace gaskets and check heads for warpage.
  #13  
Old 12-29-2004, 06:23 AM
hg71 hg71 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 13
Mein Auto:
IT was a hose

It was only a hose!!!! Thank god, What I thought was steam out of the exhaust was just the fluid hitting the engine. The whole in the hose was the size of a 50 cent piece. That is great news for me. The bad news is I still have to sell the car. My company reimburses me for my vehicle and pays maint., but is has to be newer than 3 years. Any idea what I can get for a 99 540 loaded with everything including heated steeringwheel and GPS. 135k and always maintained to a tee. Also do you know anyone selling a 2003 or up 540...might even look to the m5.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lscman
The BMW aluminum motors are not tolerant to neglect. This machine is nothing like a Ford or Chevy cast iron motor that can tolerate 5 miles or more on low fluid. Low fluid should NEVER happen with the MID speedo pixel warning display and chimes. You have days to top off, unless the level sensor is bad. By the time the temp sensor shows overheating, the motor often has been damaged.

It's likely you warped a cylinder head from overheating & low on fluid which caused the one or both head gaskets to let go. Figure a good shop or dealer and about $2K to repair. It is costly due to valvetrain complexity (4 overhead cams) and cam re-timing jigs & procedure. At this point, the car can NOT be driven and the coolant will soon ruin your motor just from sitting in combustion chamber and affecting oil, bearings and rings. Figure about $10K if that happens. Save yourself about $8K & get it fixed immediately. Don't try the stop leak in a can route your trading it in immediately. If it holds at all, it will only last hours with such a serious leak (exhaust steam). I'd face reality and pay the going rate for a proper repair where they replace gaskets and check heads for warpage.

Last edited by Ågent99; 12-29-2004 at 03:04 PM.
  #14  
Old 12-29-2004, 07:35 AM
TheMatrixz TheMatrixz is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Boston, MA, USA
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 237
Mein Auto: 540IT
Glad to hear it wasn't anything major. I'm sure we scare you to death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hg71
It was only a hose!!!! Thank god, What I thought was steam out of the exhaust was just the fluid hitting the engine. The whole in the hose was the size of a 50 cent piece. That is great news for me. The bad news is I still have to sell the car. My company reimburses me for my vehicle and pays maint., but is has to be newer than 3 years. Any idea what I can get for a 99 540 loaded with everything including heated steeringwheel and GPS. 135k and always maintained to a tee. Also do you know anyone selling a 2003 or up 540...might even look to the m5.

Thanks again for the assistance.
__________________


'99 540IT (for sale)
'99 528IT (Past)
'07 530xiT

Last edited by Ågent99; 12-29-2004 at 03:04 PM.
  #15  
Old 12-29-2004, 08:20 AM
dagoo98's Avatar
dagoo98 dagoo98 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Brooklyn, NY
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,072
Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by hg71
It was only a hose!!!! Thank god, What I thought was steam out of the exhaust was just the fluid hitting the engine. The whole in the hose was the size of a 50 cent piece. That is great news for me. The bad news is I still have to sell the car. My company reimburses me for my vehicle and pays maint., but is has to be newer than 3 years. Any idea what I can get for a 99 540 loaded with everything including heated steeringwheel and GPS. 135k and always maintained to a tee. Also do you know anyone selling a 2003 or up 540...might even look to the m5.

Thanks again for the assistance.
There is a user on this board that is thinking about selling his 2003 540a Sport. It has 10,000 miles on it and some classy minor mods. His user id is JUN. He does want a pretty penny for what he calls a perfectly kept car which is illustrated in the pictures he has posted. He said he would NOT take $45,000 for the car so expect to offer him more than that. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Ågent99; 12-29-2004 at 03:05 PM.
 

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
99 540 chrome trim replacement jetblack540i 5 Series DIY 3 12-16-2004 05:11 PM
99 540 Q's ara662 5 Series 6 11-30-2004 12:45 PM
Aluminum Trim for a '99 540 Cabriolet 5 Series 3 09-06-2004 04:25 AM
Installing M5 cluster in 99 540 ALEV8 5 Series 11 10-08-2003 06:12 AM
F/s 99 540 I Sport 6spd $28,500 DANS540I Classifieds 0 06-07-2003 08:55 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.