Waze vs OEM 2017 NAV - Page 3 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 05-20-2017, 10:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2016 X6 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtuna00 View Post
I'm in the minority I suppose, but I tested them side-by-side for a week and found the OEM Nav perfectly capable. I've subsequently uninstalled Waze. The only caveat is it can sometimes take a few minutes for the RTTI to update. E.g. I may start my journey going a normal route but later find a better route after the RTTI catches up. I've found the OEM Nav is more aggressive about suggesting alternate routes.

On the other hand I was finding that I could often easily beat Waze, even after driving my "backroads" routes many times with the app open. I imagine it depends where you live (I'm in Silicon Valley).
You're not alone on this. Personally I don't see any appeal in waze, the nbt nav does everything I need and does it well. I can't say the same thing about waze or google/apple nav.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2017, 05:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i M-Sport EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerbingo View Post
You're not alone on this. Personally I don't see any appeal in waze, the nbt nav does everything I need and does it well. I can't say the same thing about waze or google/apple nav.
Living in the city I find WAZE more useful than the car system. I am constantly challenged with street closures for parades, events, marathons, etc. which my car nav does not acknowledge. Also with the freeways in Houston always in reconstruction mode the car maps are never up to date. Many a times my car thinks I am flying. LOL
Old 05-21-2017, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2017 328d xDrive Touring
I think I found the coding to enable screen mirroring!

Enable WiFi Hot-Spot
(Need to install a DLNA/UPnP media sharing server on your laptop or phone to be able to use this)
3000ENT_MC_WLAN_STREAM_DMP_COVERART set to: aktiv
3000ENT_MC_WLAN_STREAM_DMP_VIDEO set to: aktiv
3000ENT_MC_WLAN_STREAM_DMP set to: aktiv
3003WLAN_STATUS set to: aktiv
3003WLAN_MODUS set to: ap
3003WLAN_SIGNAL_STRENGTH set to: outdoor
3003WLAN_CHANNEL set to: channel_1 -14
Old 05-21-2017, 09:54 AM
Abuser of everything

Mein Auto: BMW-less (again)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypermile View Post

Enable WiFi Hot-Spot
(Need to install a DLNA/UPnP media sharing server on your laptop or phone to be able to use this)
3000ENT_MC_WLAN_STREAM_DMP_COVERART set to: aktiv
3000ENT_MC_WLAN_STREAM_DMP_VIDEO set to: aktiv
3000ENT_MC_WLAN_STREAM_DMP set to: aktiv
3003WLAN_STATUS set to: aktiv
3003WLAN_MODUS set to: ap
3003WLAN_SIGNAL_STRENGTH set to: outdoor
3003WLAN_CHANNEL set to: channel_1 -14
Wow. Is there a tutorial to learn to do this?

Last edited by Saintor; 05-21-2017 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:40 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurrs View Post
I kinda like the left and right display configuration I have right now:

Left side: Proclip A-pillar mount with 19mm block spacer, move clip system, and iPhone mount for my iPhone 6S+
I'm running iTunes for my music and Waze for navigation, with audio connected through the USB jack that I hid in the footwell right under the trunk release button.

Right side: NBT Nav with Media playback interface on a split screen.

Best of both worlds! Top 200 in my province with Waze!

Attachment 597874
Nice cold play album
Old 05-21-2017, 12:36 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
OEM nav sucks. It sucks even more when your connected drive subscription expires. I think you can get the traffic unlocked by coding though.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:48 AM

Mein Auto: Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loc123 View Post
Can waze be set up to come through the nav screen? Or do you have to mount the phi e or such to see it? Will voice of waze come through BMW speakers?

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest
If your phone is linked to the car with Bluetooth, WAZE can speak turn-by-turn directions. You can go into the WAZE settings and choose different voices; some have text-to-speech, and will speak the street names. Others only speak the turn directions. You might find the spoken street names annoying; you switch them off by changing the voice.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:43 AM

Mein Auto: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypermile View Post
here you go, my friend to enable screen mirroring via miracast on f30 with your android device. get waze on the big screen and clean up the car of extra mounts and cables.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:35 AM

Mein Auto: 428i Sport Line Coupe
Can anyone direct me to instructions to set up waze to be used on my current nav system in a 2014 428i? Currently have waze on my android but would prefer to have it integrated into my car system. I do have the nav and heads up display on my car

Danke
Old 06-13-2017, 12:13 PM

Mein Auto: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Ate View Post
Can anyone direct me to instructions to set up waze to be used on my current nav system in a 2014 428i? Currently have waze on my android but would prefer to have it integrated into my car system. I do have the nav and heads up display on my car

Danke
you can use above values for code above to activate miracast. but don't think it'll work for you as you don't have ID5, correct?
Old 06-13-2017, 02:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 328d xDrive Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkiboy View Post
here you go, my friend to enable screen mirroring via miracast on f30 with your android device. get waze on the big screen and clean up the car of extra mounts and cables.

You da man, Marco!
Old 08-07-2017, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 330i
I don't have NAV in my 320, therefore I have relied on Apple Maps and Here for the first year or so I had the car and then transitioned to using Waze. I am anti google so I reluctantly use Waze and def not Google maps. With the route I now drive from Palm Springs to SD weekly - Waze has been a good tool although I don't tap alerts or post my own simply as I don't like being distracted by it. I'm about to pull the trigger on a 2017 328d with NAV and I'm very interested how it will work compared. I have coded before so will def be looking up the screen mirroring option. All that said it comes down to what tool does the job and for now with the icky drive that I have now Waze has worked reasonably well. If the OEM nav bears out the same results I'd like to use it cause that big screen would be nicer than my iPhone.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:52 PM
Abuser of everything

Mein Auto: BMW-less (again)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOEYPDX View Post
II am anti google so I reluctantly use Waze and def not Google maps.
Waze is owned by Google since 2013.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 335i GT xDrive
I travel every week for work and live in rental cars; my go to app for navigation is Waze and I have used it almost since it was available. Overall Waze is a very good solution but like all mapping software it has issues sometimes with odd routings. Some cities it is great, others only fair. Overall it is a good program. BUT - when I first got my GT I was sceptical of the ARTTI claims so tested the factory nav side by side with Waze. Overall the factory nav works just as well, at least in the midwest and north east. It also worked well in Southern Ontario but I did not drive all the way into Toronto proper. As others have noted the HUD and ease of use pretty much blows away any phone-app option. Re-routes seem to happen fast, and you can see what the choice is before choosing a re-route. Overall the factory nav with ARTTI is the best nav system that I have ever used.

One other bizarre issue that just happened to me last week - I had done a search for a customer's location by name. It pulled up the correct address listing, I set the destination and off I went - directly to the wrong location! Somehow it placed the old corporate HQ into the new address and took me to the old location. Checked on google maps and the same thing happened. Re-entered into Waze using the address only and it got me there fine. Maybe a one-off - never happened to me before - but just goes to show that all of the mapping software does have the occasional glitch.

My wife's GTI has Apple car play - we use that when driving in her car. I would say that Apple maps is inferior to Waze / Google but it is getting better. A couple of years ago Apple maps was pure junk; today it is a much closer second to google maps. The interface is very nice with Apple maps and car play and to me is a good alternative to factory nav at a much lower price point. But oddly BMW requires the technology package to get car play - so why would you use Apple maps instead of the factory nav with RTTI? Odd...

Sorry about the long post - hope the helps the OP!

2016 335i xDrive GT
European Delivery March 2016
Midnight Blue - Dakota Saddle Brown Interior
Technology Package - Driver Assistance Package
Luxury Package - Cold Weather Package
Enhanced Bluetooth

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search