Bmw E39 2002 AIRBAG EEPROM dump - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 09-15-2019, 06:14 PM

Mein Auto:
Bmw E39 2002 AIRBAG EEPROM dump

Hello guys, I recently ran into problem after using NCS to code the AIRBAG module to delay passenger seat recognition. After the coding I got 12 errors including internal fault.
So I bought a BMW scanner 1.4 and tried clearing crash data but the errors are still there.

So if anyone could do a EEPROM dump using Bmw scanner 1.4 I can write that dump to mine and fix this issue .

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2019, 01:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 E39 540i
So, you used NCS -a sub tool of the INPA software suite- to code the Airbag module..
Assuming you did the coding right, Why don't you use INPA also to read and reset or clear the errors ?
Old 09-16-2019, 03:41 AM

Mein Auto:
I tried all Kinds of softwares(INPA, ISTA-D, BMW Scanner 1.4) nothing worked.
I might need a Airbag EEPROM dump from SRS error free car, so once I flash that bin file it should fix my issue.
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2019, 02:46 PM

"Nothing worked" ? What do you mean exactly : you could not connect to the airbag module with any of those software diagnostic tools??
Old 09-17-2019, 03:47 AM

Mein Auto:
I mean clearing codes didn't work.
I get a error when clearing codes in INPA. Saying communication/ecu error.
Old 09-17-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2019 View Post
I mean clearing codes didn't work.
I get a error when clearing codes in INPA. Saying communication/ecu error.
That means you did NOT connect to the module. You need to find out why? incorrect INPA installation, bad INPA cable, or bad defective module, or...??
Can you connect to other modules in the car, and read/clear errors? say the transmission or the engine or the ABS module ??
Old 09-17-2019, 08:39 PM

Mein Auto:
All functions in INPA works, I can read all modules including AIRBAG. But only in airbag I'm unable to clear code (I get a error when clearing code in AIRBAG module).

Also to note I didn't have any issues with airbag module except for passenger seat mat sensor not working, which causes the airbag light to pop. So to fix it I tried coding the airbag module to delay seat detection so that bypasses the issue. I used NCS expert to do the coding. But after coding with modified settings I went to inpa to clear codes then I saw 10 errors which wasn't there before.

Then I bought bmw scanner to read and write eeprom, so if someone can read their eeprom and send me the bin file I can flash it to my module and fix the issue.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:47 AM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: e39, e83, e60
sounds like you bricked the module

you just needed to fix the seat sensor which you did.. but then you went and changed the parameters of the module (*which bricked it)

even if you have the correct original Files (*which you should have captured and saved as a backup) your still not going to be able to import the file you want.. because you can no longer communicate with the module

this is my take on it

15486372<-----
Old 09-18-2019, 03:13 AM

That is the question : can you still communicate with the Airbag module , yes or no ??

If yes, there may be some hope: Fix the seat sensor, then try to re-code it again, preferably withy the original settings -if you have saved them.

If no, your bricked it , and you'd need to replace it with another similar airbag module. Try the junkyard ?!
Old 09-18-2019, 05:32 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning2nd View Post
sounds like you bricked the module

you just needed to fix the seat sensor which you did.. but then you went and changed the parameters of the module (*which bricked it)

even if you have the correct original Files (*which you should have captured and saved as a backup) your still not going to be able to import the file you want.. because you can no longer communicate with the module

this is my take on it
Seems like the module is bricked. So I ordered another module online to replace it. But I'm afraid that coding it again will brick that too? any thoughts?

Only thing I can do is read live data, read errors but unable to clear them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chedley View Post
That is the question : can you still communicate with the Airbag module , yes or no ??

If yes, there may be some hope: Fix the seat sensor, then try to re-code it again, preferably withy the original settings -if you have saved them.

If no, your bricked it , and you'd need to replace it with another similar airbag module. Try the junkyard ?!
I can communicate but not fully. I also bought a usb programmer so ill be striping it and reading the EEPROM and use a airbag error cleaning software to clear the error and write the new bin file back to module just as a small project.

cheers
Old 09-18-2019, 02:47 PM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: e39, e83, e60
your talking about writing eeprom,

its like your trying to use the operating system, and the bios is wrong.. Its not going to work.. If you bricked it.. its going to take some special stuff, you would need to find a printed board guy,

as far as the new module... plug it in, communicate with it.. dont trying writing to it

15486372<-----
Old 09-18-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning2nd View Post
as far as the new module... plug it in, communicate with it.. dont trying writing to it
Absolutely. Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT WRITE anything onto the new module. If it the right module, it should work as-is. Just plug it in, and READ only its status or error codes if any.
If not, you can always return it intact.

As for coding the airbag module, or any other module really, you should have saved the car's original configuration settings when you first installed and run INPA NCS. So that if anything goes wrong, as it did here on the airbag module, you can always revert back to the old original config and recover...
It may not be too late to do it. !!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search