Everything you ever wanted to know about about BMW diesels but where afraid to ask? - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners & Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners & Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 08-11-2019, 05:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 xdrive35d White
Very much enjoyed this read. Never knew how complex these engines were. Then it's a BMW diesel on top of that. Learned alot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2019, 08:19 PM

Mein Auto: 14 535d Xdrive, 12 X5 35d
I know this thread and the post I'm quoting are several years old but there's a lot of misinformation here that needs to be cleared up instead of getting perpetuated any further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Schnell View Post
1 - Be careful not to overfill the tank. Apparently diesel can flow over into the vent/charcoal filter and cause a check engine light. I did this once trying to "pack" the tank. BMW service instructed me not to "pack" the tank. LOL.

Now I set the pump nozzle on the first notch(slowest input). When the nozzle clicks off I wait a few seconds and hand fuel it slowly until the second click off occurs then I stop fueling. Never overflowed it since using that technique. Actually the manual says to stop fueling at the first click...that is considered "FULL".

2 - When tightening the fuel cap don't over do it. Insert the cap into the filler neck and turn it gently until it clicks ONCE then leave it be. Over tightening will result in a check engine light.
It is perfectly safe to fully top the tank off all the way to liquid at the top of the filler neck. There is no need to allow room for expansion like with gasoline. This is a total non-issue with diesel fuel. You might want to be careful to avoid spilling diesel fuel on the car body but it is completely safe to top the tank off all the way to liquid fuel at the top of the filler neck. This is also the only way to get accurate and consistent mileage numbers.

There is no evaporative emission control system in a diesel vehicle so there is no charcoal canister or any other complex evap system stuff that gassers have. The evap system is a gasser thing and N/A to diesel. Evaporative emissions from a diesel vehicle are so low that they are a non-issue and there is no need for an evap system.

Leaving the fuel cap loose or completely off will not trigger a check engine light. It won't happen because it can't happen. Same with over-tightening the cap, if that's even possible. The tank is not a sealed system like in a gasser and there is nothing monitored in that area to trigger a check engine light because there is no evap system in a diesel vehicle.

Quote:
3 - I don't care what the OEM recommended oil change is. I'm changing mine every 5,000 miles.
Old school is still alive and well. *Sighe*

Quote:
4 - If you ever have the opportunity to use #1 diesel (premium) do it! It will result in much better fuel mileage.
#1 is related to Kerosene, IIRC, and is not "premium." DO NOT USE.
Only ULSD (Diesel #2) is to be used.

Why DIESEL is better: (from wxmanCCM)
PM - https://sites.google.com/view/lmarzccm/home
Air Toxics - https://sites.google.com/view/loren-marz-ccm/home
Ozone Precursors - https://sites.google.com/view/lorenmarz-ccm/home
General - https://sites.google.com/view/emissions-general/home

Last edited by n1das; 08-12-2019 at 06:32 AM.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:41 AM
Kinda officially welcomed

Mein Auto: E70 LCI 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1das View Post
I know this thread and the post I'm quoting are several years old but there's a lot of misinformation here that needs to be cleared up instead of getting perpetuated any further.

It is perfectly safe to fully top the tank off all the way to liquid at the top of the filler neck. There is no need to allow room for expansion like with gasoline. This is a total non-issue with diesel fuel. You might want to be careful to avoid spilling diesel fuel on the car body but it is completely safe to top the tank off all the way to liquid fuel at the top of the filler neck. This is also the only way to get accurate and consistent mileage numbers.

There is no evaporative emission control system in a diesel vehicle so there is no charcoal canister or any other complex evap system stuff that gassers have. The evap system is a gasser thing and N/A to diesel. Evaporative emissions from a diesel vehicle are so low that they are a non-issue and there is no need for an evap system.

Leaving the fuel cap loose or completely off will not trigger a check engine light. It won't happen because it can't happen. Same with over-tightening the cap, if that's even possible. The tank is not a sealed system like in a gasser and there is nothing monitored in that area to trigger a check engine light because there is no evap system in a diesel vehicle.
Good to know, thanks!

I changed my fuel cap when I first purchased the X5 35d in February.I always do that with any BMW I purchase with a gas engine. I did notice the other day, mine doesn't "click", only when turned hard enough. No light or issues like I would most likely have in a gas vehicle.

E39 528i/5 Sport
E28 535is
E84 X1 35ix M package
E38 740i Sport
E39 M5 LMB/Blk
Old 08-12-2019, 09:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328D
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post

BMW diesels have a heavier duty battery (at least this is what I read) than petrol models. This is because in the winter, you have to heavily rely on the electric accessories for heat before the engine has actually warmed up. The battery has to run the glow plugs, electric aux heater, heated seats, heated steering wheel, iDrive, heated active urea tank, etc before the engine is up to operating temperature. BMW (thankfully) put in a higher spec battery for this reason.

I know this is an old (but good) list, however, I will have to disagree with this. The reason for the heavier duty battery and starter is because you need more force to crank a diesel due to the much higher compression ratios and thicker oil that is generally used.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:58 PM

Mein Auto: x5 35d e70 2011
It's also false because when the engine is running the battery is not powering the devices but the alternator is. The only load on the battery are the preglow, computers, lights and cranking. Glow does take a lot of power, each one pulls around 20-30amps when cold for up to 30 seconds, which does require a good capacity (ah) battery, not just a high cranking one which yes, is due to the much higher compression. Our compression is approx 1.7x that of a gas engine, so figure 1.6x3 would be the cranking of a 5.1L gas engine if it was a linear slope (it's not but I don't have details on that).

Don't tell me the battery runs loads after that, as bmw and some try to say. No, voltage is above 13.5v when started which means the alternator is powering all that plus charging the battery. The only way the battery would be used once engine is on is if the voltage was below 12.5 or so, which doesn't happen unless your alternator is dying. I'm an industrial electrician with a lot of experience in dc battery/charging backup systems and the crap I hear from bmw makes me sick. In DC parallel circuits, the higher voltage source always gets the load. On AC there's more factors besides voltage like phase angle and power factor.

Last edited by robnitro; 08-12-2019 at 05:05 PM.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:28 AM
Kinda officially welcomed

Mein Auto: E70 LCI 35d
Good info Robnitro, thanks. One question, whats a proper idle voltage? I just ask because in another thread you said you had 14.8v and im nowhere that, i think im at 13.8v. My battery seems in great condition though according to btool app...

E39 528i/5 Sport
E28 535is
E84 X1 35ix M package
E38 740i Sport
E39 M5 LMB/Blk
Old 08-13-2019, 04:51 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
I donít think so. Glow plugs are low mass ceramics that FLASH

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnitro View Post
Glow does take a lot of power, each one pulls around 20-30amps when cold for up to 30 seconds, .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A09D4F73-F087-4296-B73E-FF1938F864B2.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	861087  
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 08-13-2019 at 04:53 AM.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d (E70)
Awesome post
Old 09-16-2019, 03:03 AM

Mein Auto: x5 35d e70 2011
So then it's less power needed with these plugs. That means that we aren't using up much amp hours then but really need the cranking amps to turn the engine over.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:39 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
High torque starter has 3:1 reduction planetary reduction gears.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners & Enthusiasts
Today's Posts Search