What did you do to your E83 X3 today? - Page 4 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 06-26-2018, 01:40 AM
BeeemerBro

Mein Auto: X3 M54 150k
Got out the touch up paint bottles and went over 04 and 05 bodies just hit the little nicks and hwy ware areas only in the front face and any place where the nick hit down to metal being now exposed.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Bimmerfest mobile app
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2018, 01:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 06 325i and 99 R1100RT
Brake wear indicator has been on for quite some time now on my daughter’s 06, so decided to do the fronts today.

Used just plain AutoZone pads and rotors. Put them on her 01 330i way back in the day and never had any issues with them (dust or otherwise), so expectation is now the same.

Easy job and most time was spent waiting for USPS to deliver the damn wear sensor. Amazon transferred the package to USPS and they suck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5612DD06-14FE-4796-BD0B-B23AD5765F56.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	806080  
Plus a bunch of others...
Old 07-08-2018, 06:36 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 Talon TSi/AWD and X3
Today I changed the upstream first bank 02 sensor(first time at 135k) and changed the oil. Now I've noticed some pulley noise. I've changed the primary belt tensioner but not the the one on the a/c. I should also change the a/c tensioner too and belt since that has never been done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2018, 10:35 AM

Mein Auto: 06 325i and 99 R1100RT
Wear indicator light didn't go out after changing the fronts, so I guess it's time also for the rears. They do look pretty thin, too.

Also realized that the SES light has stayed off since I cleared it at oil change a couple of months ago, so I headed out to have it inspected after the brake job. Love the place that I use where they don't sweat the small stuff. Like the high beams not working. LOL! Need to investigate the reason at some point, though, I guess...
Plus a bunch of others...
Old 07-09-2018, 05:33 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 Talon TSi/AWD and X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsuintx View Post
Wear indicator light didn't go out after changing the fronts, so I guess it's time also for the rears. They do look pretty thin, too.

Also realized that the SES light has stayed off since I cleared it at oil change a couple of months ago, so I headed out to have it inspected after the brake job. Love the place that I use where they don't sweat the small stuff. Like the high beams not working. LOL! Need to investigate the reason at some point, though, I guess...
Hey I tend the change my brakes a little more often than needed, it can never hurt!
Old 07-27-2018, 04:58 AM
BeeemerBro

While reluctantly visiting my mother in law in FL. On our outting we stopped at Wal-Mart. While wife and mother made their rounds. I made my usual treck to the auto section...after much looking they had a discounted/closeout area that included returned car batteries. Here i find the big H8 Maxx...top of the line...90 bucks!...current bat for the 04 is the Duralast H6. It does the job but the sticker says 2011.
So now the Duralast sits in the garage...and is listed on the web site..."Let Go".

05 X3 181k
04 X3 162k
Old 07-29-2018, 12:50 PM
BeeemerBro

Over last couple of days I've noticed a very slight and short stutter while ideling with the 05. Today I cleaned/sprayed off the throttle body, MAF sensor, idel control valve and disa flap/valve. Also, vacuumed the airbox filter (it was clean anyways) Looks like I have to do this yearly. on the 6 hr round trip the on board computer says I got 21mpg. I expected to get 26 25 or maybe 24. This cleaning should help majorly.

Last edited by BimmurBrothor; 07-30-2018 at 05:22 AM.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:28 AM
BeeemerBro

While replacing the 04 interior lights...in the glove compartment what do I find......yes! An AUX connection! Christmas in July! And it works. Looks like the owner had BMW do the install. There is also a connection cord for the ipod (32 pin?) NOW...I can get rid of the wireless speaker in the back.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Bimmerfest mobile app

Last edited by BimmurBrothor; 07-30-2018 at 05:33 AM.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3, 2008 X3
Congrats! What good fortune!

Not for me, unfortunately. I managed to somehow embed an (approx) 15mm long M8 bolt, complete with washer in my RR tire.

Made a very distinctive sound on rotation but didn't set off the TPS.

Surprisingly, this one tire was right down at the wearbars, even though I rotate them and the others are fine. So teh repair shop wouldn't plug it, even if they had one that big.

Scandalously put a used Conti on for the time being, as my plastic gear is gone anyway and I have a new one sitting on the shelf.

07 X3 3.0Si - AT - Black with tan leatherette interior - 141k miles
08 X3 3.0Si - AT - Black with black leather interior - 121k miles
Old 07-31-2018, 07:36 AM
BeeemerBro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangermouseX3 View Post
Congrats! What good fortune!

Not for me, unfortunately. I managed to somehow embed an (approx) 15mm long M8 bolt, complete with washer in my RR tire.

Made a very distinctive sound on rotation but didn't set off the TPS.

Surprisingly, this one tire was right down at the wearbars, even though I rotate them and the others are fine. So teh repair shop wouldn't plug it, even if they had one that big.

Scandalously put a used Conti on for the time being, as my plastic gear is gone anyway and I have a new one sitting on the shelf.
maybe i should get mine off the shelf

Old 07-31-2018, 07:43 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3, 1997 Chevy truck,
I pulled four small door ding dents from the driver's side using this technique. I used a PDR kit I bought from Amazon for less than $90. My objective was to make the appearance a decent 20 footer and came up with probably a 10 foot +/- result. First time I ever tried such a DIY project.

https://www.amazon.com/FLY5D%C2%AE-P...ywords=pdr+kit

Old 07-31-2018, 07:47 AM

Mein Auto: 04 X5 3.0i, 08 X3 3.0si
Danger, I've had great service from bestusedtires.com for finding replacement tires of the same make/model and similar wear to the 3 good tires remaining on the vehicle. There are also some other used tire sellers on ebay, and I used one of them once with also excellent results. The tire you get will be accurate in terms of make/model/rating/wear, but may or may not have been repaired with a patch on the inside. I'm willing to accept that given the advantages of getting a nearly identical tire at a low price.

Beware it's not the plastic actuator gear that is vulnerable to different sized tires, it's the actual clutches in the differential. Unless the rolling circumference is within about 0.25", you're subjecting your differential to abuse. I think a lot of people think as long as the tire size listed on the sidewall is the same, that they can safely mix/match brands/models of tires. Unfortunately, there can be significant differences in rolling circumference of different makes/models.

My college-aged son is working at Discount Tire this summer. He said they replace single damaged tires on LOTS of AWD vehicles despite warning the owners of the need to keep rolling circumferences similar. Makes it dicey to buy any used AWD vehicle when people commonly do stuff like that. We had to replace the diff on a Subaru one of my other boys bought used while in college. I suspect the prior owners were not careful to keep similar tires all the way around over the vehicle's life.

AM.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attacking Mid View Post

Beware it's not the plastic actuator gear that is vulnerable to different sized tires, it's the actual clutches in the differential.
AM.
which diff?

Anyway, the used tire probably has a closer circ. than the one I took off

Old 07-31-2018, 04:05 PM

Mein Auto: 04 X5 3.0i, 08 X3 3.0si
Your TC has clutches that act as a center differential to accommodate differences in rotational speed between the front/rear axles. When the rolling circumference of the four tires is relatively even, the "differential" only slips intermittently when turning, etc. When you introduce significantly different sized tires, you make the differential work constantly to compensate. This results in "over-working" the clutch in the TC which causes excess heat build-up and premature failure of the TC.

AM.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X3 2.8i F25 N52
Replaced both windshield washer pumps, used the VDO's from FCO Euro. Washed then a coat of Meguiar's cleaning paste wax. This worked pretty good, for an 11 year old car it looks pretty good. Washed and waxed the 328i this past week end as well. The valve cover gasket set is on it's way, so I expect to tackle that next week. The VCG along with spark plugs was replaced 15K miles ago by the PO. I ordered the FCO Euro valve cover gasket set. Cleaned off the valve cover with brake clean and I think it be leaking from the Eccentric Actuator Seal.

Last edited by CoolShirtDude; 08-01-2018 at 01:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-02-2018, 05:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3, 6 Speed
What did you do to your E83 X3 today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolShirtDude View Post
Replaced both windshield washer pumps, used the VDO's from FCO Euro. Washed then a coat of Meguiar's cleaning paste wax. This worked pretty good, for an 11 year old car it looks pretty good. Washed and waxed the 328i this past week end as well. The valve cover gasket set is on it's way, so I expect to tackle that next week. The VCG along with spark plugs was replaced 15K miles ago by the PO. I ordered the FCO Euro valve cover gasket set. Cleaned off the valve cover with brake clean and I think it be leaking from the Eccentric Actuator Seal.

Meguiars has some nice products.

I use their Ultimate Wax, Quick Detailer, Ultimate Polisher and Ultimate Compound on my vehicles.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8203.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	810630
Old 08-06-2018, 10:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X3
Back to the Future:

A teaser...Stay tuned for more info on my Youtube channel, Radical9Auto,
Channel URL: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXN...NKFXhDNYkHw-og
No content yet since I just created, but eventually there will be videos You can subscribe for updates.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
I pulled four small door ding dents from the driver's side using this technique. I used a PDR kit I bought from Amazon for less than $90. My objective was to make the appearance a decent 20 footer and came up with probably a 10 foot +/- result. First time I ever tried such a DIY project.

https://www.amazon.com/FLY5D%C2%AE-P...ywords=pdr+kit

3 out of 4 of my doors have dings due to people just swinging their doors open. All 3 are right on the body line that is below the windows as the doors goes down.

How well does this kit work? Got a before and after shot? I see there is one on amazon thats like $50/60 without all the gizmos (lights etc)..
Old 08-07-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepo23 View Post
3 out of 4 of my doors have dings due to people just swinging their doors open. All 3 are right on the body line that is below the windows as the doors goes down.

How well does this kit work? Got a before and after shot? I see there is one on amazon thats like $50/60 without all the gizmos (lights etc)..
It doesn't work well on dents that are on the body line. You're better off just saving up for PDR.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbeeguy View Post
It doesn't work well on dents that are on the body line. You're better off just saving up for PDR.
What is PDR?
Old 08-07-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepo23 View Post
What is PDR?
Paintless dent repair. Basically aiming a light at a metal sheet, and changing the shape of the material based on centering points, etc....(youtube some videos so you'll get an idea) a glue puller is one tool for PDR, but there are a lot of other tools required....plus training either in school or on the job. Tools are super expensive. If you look up some PDR shops near you on Google, you may have some mobile ones near you (also depending on where the dent is located on the body line, if it's near the center of the door, you'll be fine....otherwise if it's near the corners (a BMW X3 issue only...lol), then the PDR tech will most likely have to drill a hole into the side of the door for access then use a plug for patching....no biggie since the factory does this too for certain parts of the door also).
Old 08-13-2018, 06:24 AM

New tires on the 08 at the weekend.

Michelin Premiers like on the 07 which I just took off (at 41k) and installed the old GT Radials from the 08 which had plenty of tread left

Old 08-13-2018, 03:08 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 e36 m3 s54
Drove her 2500 miles round trip to the Mountians. Did some nice passes and corners in the canyons. No issues at all
Old 08-13-2018, 03:10 PM
BeeemerBro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch500 View Post
Drove her 2500 miles round trip to the Mountians. Did some nice passes and corners in the canyons. No issues at all
sweet!

Old 08-13-2018, 06:47 PM

Mein Auto: '06 X3, 1997 Chevy truck,
Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbeeguy View Post
I actually had good luck with a couple of the dents that were on the body line (more or less) of both driver side doors. I don't have before and after pics - sorry - because I honestly expected mediocre results. Instead the dents pretty much disappeared .

Watching YouTube videos of small dents being "pulled" is what made me buy the kit (Amazon) including the light - around a $100.00 from Amazon.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search