DIY cost/reliability on a X5d - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 09-13-2019, 09:28 PM

Mein Auto:
DIY cost/reliability on a X5d

Background- I donít want to get into a money pit- who does- but I am a shade tree mechanic and can turn a wrench. Iíve got a shop and 2 post lift as well.

I see numerous statements that they wouldnít own a bmw out of warranty. However, for a diy person, is the labor and cost that great? I donít want to work on it every weekend.

All that said, is there a reason to look at the 2011+ or will a 2009-2010 be a good candidate except for the aesthetics? Any other input is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2019, 10:16 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
First, any car can be a money pit. It happens. Take your time, chose carefully. It will reduce the odds of a lemon

Second, being a DIY you are WAY ahead of the curve. Brakes are 2 hrs per axle and $200...versus $900-1100 at the dealer. Extrapolate that everywhere- suspension rattles; a fuel pump; a tailgate spindle.

It is my PERCEPTION that over time, BMW got better wiht their diesels (I lemoned a 2010...and have a 2012 w 130k) I'd therefore sugest a newer one, but this is a bias- not an informed position.

Add a BMW code reader to your tool list. In fact, if YOU will be doing your own PPIs, buy a foxwell 520 and pull codes/history on each car you look at.

Oh, welcome. What state if you are in the USA?

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 09-14-2019, 04:33 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
First, any car can be a money pit. It happens. Take your time, chose carefully. It will reduce the odds of a lemon

Second, being a DIY you are WAY ahead of the curve. Brakes are 2 hrs per axle and $200...versus $900-1100 at the dealer. Extrapolate that everywhere- suspension rattles; a fuel pump; a tailgate spindle.

It is my PERCEPTION that over time, BMW got better wiht their diesels (I lemoned a 2010...and have a 2012 w 130k) I'd therefore sugest a newer one, but this is a bias- not an informed position.

Add a BMW code reader to your tool list. In fact, if YOU will be doing your own PPIs, buy a foxwell 520 and pull codes/history on each car you look at.

Oh, welcome. What state if you are in the USA?
Thanks for the information. I have a 520, great tool! Itís nice to add makes for $60. Iím in Texas. No diesel emission testing so a delete would be easy.

Iíve mulled over the diesel versions of the ML320/350, Cayenne/Touareg and the X5. I really like inline 6s though. All have pros and cons.

Mileage wise, Iíve read that the emissions go out around 100k. Is there a better mileage to buy? I canít decide if an 80k is better knowing that I may hit the alphabet problems in 20k, or a 120k that is already done. Iíd think the latter would be the better option?? Also what is the higher/highest mileage x5d? Iíve seen a few in the 150k range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2019, 04:36 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Yeah, but shadetree mechanics eat their mistakes, and if you will read here you will see that they are easy to make. Even for dealers to claim to get a return
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 09-14-2019 at 04:37 AM.
Old 09-14-2019, 06:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 x5 4.4L
go no older than 6 years old. Most maintenance items are due around 5 years 60 000miles. Stay away from old diesels. parts are to expensive...quote out a injection pump, injectiors, turbo. Maintenance costs are to high on old diesels. they never pay for themselves with the saved mpg. the city bus lines in my area have dropped diesels for the short buses and have gone to gassers...to many maintenace costs...aftertreatment problems are non stop.
Old 09-14-2019, 06:46 AM
What was that?

Mein Auto: 05 M3, '13 TLC, '11X5 35i
+1. - I too wrench myself some, but sometimes have compromise and take mine to the Indy tech for complex work.

I would add there are a few touches in favor of the 2011 LCI version. Some are aesthetic, like LED halos, some other relate to additional features. I do not believe the bluetooth feature got A2P capability until after the E70 - This was a disappointment for me.

Mine is not a diesel, and I wouldnít get one unless I was in one of two type of use scenarios:
1) Towing
2) Long haul commutes

Outside those two conditions where the Diesel shines, the 35i is less complex in terms of emissions equipment, and can produce comparable MPGs.

If you find one with the Luxury Seating option (heated & ventilated, 12 way adjustable seats with I-donít-know-what-they-call-it-leather), get it! Best seats Iíve ever had in a car. Butt-Massaging feature is a must for long trips.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2019, 11:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Mini, 1 Vespa
Older BMW's that have been well cared for a DIY'er are a worthy option. That's what I was buying 20 years ago, then creeped up to newer cars as finances allowed.

It seems any BMW powertrain is going to have a set of common maladies, that has been the case for all 13 BMW's and MINI's I've owned. That being said, all of them are well documented and fairly predictable. For the E70:
- 3.0i / 3.5i is going to blow a water pump every 60-80k miles ($)
- 3.5d is going to need a thermostat and some emissions parts before 120k miles ($ if before 120k, $$$ if after)
- 4.8i / 5.0i is going to need a full reseal before 120k miles ($$$$$)
Everything else (thrust arms, rear suspension airbags, tailgate spindles, parking brake, interior trim come to mind) is common to all of them.

I'd pay more for a car with some or most of these items already fixed than an otherwise similar car without those fixes or undocumented repair history. If you like to wrench and you find a car that will need the repairs but has other attributes that are equally or more important (color combo, private party, maintenance history, equipment, exterior / interior condition) then go for it, if you're willing and able to turn the wrenches but short on time focus on one that's had it all done.

Either way at this point, both the virtues and the weaknesses of the E70 are fairly well exposed.

Last edited by FredoinSF; 09-15-2019 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-15-2019, 02:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoCarNut View Post
+1. - I too wrench myself some, but sometimes have compromise and take mine to the Indy tech for complex work.

I would add there are a few touches in favor of the 2011 LCI version. Some are aesthetic, like LED halos, some other relate to additional features. I do not believe the bluetooth feature got A2P capability until after the E70 - This was a disappointment for me.

Mine is not a diesel, and I wouldnít get one unless I was in one of two type of use scenarios:
1) Towing
2) Long haul commutes

Outside those two conditions where the Diesel shines, the 35i is less complex in terms of emissions equipment, and can produce comparable MPGs.

If you find one with the Luxury Seating option (heated & ventilated, 12 way adjustable seats with I-donít-know-what-they-call-it-leather), get it! Best seats Iíve ever had in a car. Butt-Massaging feature is a must for long trips.

Good luck.

Most diesel buyers ignore this important caveat.

For them diesel cars and SUV are a utopian dream of high mileage and great torque without using it.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:21 AM

Mein Auto: E93,E36 M3,E39,E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoCarNut View Post

. if 30% diffence in thirst is comparable.

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Dio///M; 09-16-2019 at 02:24 AM.
Old 09-17-2019, 04:42 PM
Kevin Goto

Mein Auto: 2008 335i
I bought a CPO 35k 2012 X5D and drove it 3 years before BMW had to buy it back via lemon. So I paid $900 to drive it 3 years plus insurance :-) . Drove like a champ and I did all I could to not lemon it, hate how the newer X5's ride and feel along with the rest of the line.
They never found out what the problem was and spent $20k in parts trying to fix it (just the parts and not labor). Well over 100 days in the shop all on BMW's dime and my $50 cpo fee.
Fantastic car, minor issues other than the one which I could die, would I get another? Yes, but my wife isn't going to allow that to happen at all. At the time of departure only the EGR cooler was leaking but that could have been caused by replacement of the head. I loved getting it on the freeway and using the power.
From what I've read about the X5M, you just spend time replacing parts. Although a different engine in the 35i my N54 335 has caused me very few problems that I fixed myself and all I have is a floor jack.
A pair of 17/18 Audi's
17 STI
Old 09-17-2019, 05:12 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibew595 View Post
I bought a CPO 35k 2012 X5D and drove it 3 years before BMW had to buy it back via lemon. So I paid $900 to drive it 3 years plus insurance :-) . Drove like a champ and I did all I could to not lemon it, hate how the newer X5's ride and feel along with the rest of the line.
They never found out what the problem was and spent $20k in parts trying to fix it (just the parts and not labor). Well over 100 days in the shop all on BMW's dime and my $50 cpo fee.
Fantastic car, minor issues other than the one which I could die, would I get another? Yes, but my wife isn't going to allow that to happen at all. At the time of departure only the EGR cooler was leaking but that could have been caused by replacement of the head. I loved getting it on the freeway and using the power.
From what I've read about the X5M, you just spend time replacing parts. Although a different engine in the 35i my N54 335 has caused me very few problems that I fixed myself and all I have is a floor jack.
wow

did you post this story?? ive always wondered how CA lemon works on used cars....assume the forst issue you had was under the 4/50 warranty??? Then came back later?

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 09-18-2019, 10:45 AM
bmw addiction

Mein Auto: X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibew595 View Post
What were the issues you were having?

2012 X5d | White on Black | Sports Package | EGR/DPF/SCR Delete | BRR Tune | DWR TCU Tune | 10.25" Android 8.1 Screen

Build Log
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh....php?t=1290337
Old 09-18-2019, 05:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 x5 4.4L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dio///M View Post
. if 30% diffence in thirst is comparable.

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk
pay for one injection pump and the 30% is out the window.

a diesel engine option for my truck is $10 000. that buys a lot of gas.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:28 PM
What was that?

Mein Auto: 05 M3, '13 TLC, '11X5 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by primem View Post
pay for one injection pump and the 30% is out the window.

a diesel engine option for my truck is $10 000. that buys a lot of gas.

Donít forget Diesel fuel is more expensive than gasoline...

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search