Check engine code p15fd - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 09-15-2019, 06:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335I Convertible
Check engine code p15fd

2017 430I check engine light, code p15fd..Tried searching code and nothing found on bimmerfest, looks like it may be a computer timing issue on a google search, car is still under warranty, 32000 miles, any help would be appreciated, do not really have time to sit at the dealership if its a simple fix like disconnect the battery for a while..Thanks

Old 09-15-2019, 10:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bimmer
Has your car been recently mod'ed? E.g. ECU flash, cluster swap, etc, etc?

"P15FD BMW Meaning
The diagnostic function compares the internal timers of the DME and the instrument cluster while the engine is running. The Engine Control Module (ECM) monitors the Digital Motor Electronics (DME) and/or instrument cluster memory entries. The ECM sets the OBDII code when the DME and/or instrument cluster memory entries is not to factory specifications. "

https://www.engine-codes.com/p15fd_bmw.html
Old 09-16-2019, 02:09 AM

No 100% stock, never drove hard either, we have just got back from a 700 mile trip all interstate at about 78 mph. I can reset the code myself, but it is still under warranty, thanks for your response

Old 09-16-2019, 08:26 AM

Is the code still active? If it is now inactive it may just be a glitch. Mine(almost 7 yrs/70000 miles) still has inactive fault code stored and service has not cleared those for me even when car is under warranty. But if it is still active then definitely take it to dealer to fix under warranty.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:00 PM

Code is still active, the earliest I can get it to the dealer is Wednesday 9/17/19, I hope its not much and can be fixed while I wait. They have no loaner cars for the next 2 weeks,9/30/19..I cant wait that long, need it fixed for a trip next Friday week, hate to drive 700 miles with light on
Old 09-17-2019, 05:13 PM

I was able to get the car to the dealership today, they checked and all they could tell me was the computer was not communicating correctly and they were going to have to reprogram it. They did not have a loaner and said it could take 2 hours or 2 days, depending on how the car acted. I scheduled it for next week. I had some errands to run and while driving the light went off. I am glad, I did not want the computer reprogramed, I have heard horror stories about getting the computer reprogramed. So for now all is well as far as I can tell. I will wait and see if light comes back on.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:48 AM

If the code becomes inactive then it should be no imminent concern. In the next (free) service visit the tech will do standard scope anyway and any active code will be checked/cleared as needed.

Another option is to book for a loaner and let service diagnose and reprogram as needed, if anything goes wrong then the loaner will be substitute till service fixes everything.
Old 09-24-2019, 05:34 PM

Took the car in today, Check engine light not on, they reset the computer anyway and reprogramed it, lost all of my presets on the radio, not sure what else, They never could tell me exactly what was wrong with the computer

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search