Reverse/Back-up Camera Split Screen Project - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion of BMW's 4th generation E65/E66 7 Series flagship. The E65 generated much controversy, due to its radical styling and iDrive user difficulties. Nonetheless, the E65 broke records to become the best-selling 7-series iteration ever, especially after its 2005 facelift.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 07 530xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjohn24 View Post

You are correct that is exactly how I have designed mine, however the BMW version shows video across the whole screen in the NAV menu.

Mine uses a clever video processor that is able to generate a video frame that fits the whole LCD and then insert another video into it at a specified position and size, therefore the rear view image can be inserted in the map window on the right hand side of the screen. It's therefore a little more complicated and has an on board micro controller to interface with video chip so position the video, set the brightness, contrast and output format as well as control a couple of other features like power saving, and analysing the reverse signal input such that it can ignore the bulb check diagnostics that the light module performs, therefore eliminating the need for a relay.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Stuart correctly points out a major short-coming of the official BMW solution - loss of the PDC picture. I've attached the owners manual for the rear camera. Note page 15 where you are told to turn off the PDC picture.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Rear Camera Manual 01290304299.pdf (534.9 KB, 207 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2014, 07:07 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 750Li
Quote:
Hi Nygel,

A MOST audio interface? I started looking at this last year and got hold of some of the MOST interface controllers.

I was trying to extract audio from the MOST but without knowing what the control messages were for volume etc I hit a wall with the software.

Mimicking say the CD changer or iPod interface is possible is this what you mean?

The hardware itself is pretty straight forward, it's the software that's the clever bit.

But I'm interested, I will have to investigate how much I can learn from reverse engineering one of the MOST modules. I started with the video module some time ago and understood how it sent the channel information to the MMI just by sniffing the data on the I2C bus between the MOST controller and the processor.

Sadly I sold my old CD changer but I could take my iPod interface apart if needs be!

Stuart

Yes, Stuart sorry for the late reply. I have been trying to get a functional or damage Motus AGW+ or even the Mobridge M1000-m-DA2. Those two items have the built in DSP which can still be utilize by the factory equalizer and maintain a possible 4v analog output.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:47 AM
MuziqIzMe3

Mein Auto: BMW 745Li 2005
@stuart @nygel GENERATOR FAULT.... Altenator gone bad??? Help please!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2014, 05:12 AM

Replace it.
If you know its gone bad, I don't follow your question.
I have no magical powers but I will wait until Stuart chimes in to see if he has some.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:14 AM
MuziqIzMe3

@nygel it first said "Transmission Failsafe" and then switched to "Generator Fault" so I was asking does that mean my alternator has gone bad.... I have an 05 745Li. It won't go into gear to even get it checked out

Old 05-22-2014, 06:16 AM

You need to pull trouble codes to determine 100%.
for now disconnect the negative terminal for a minute or two, when you put it back on place it straight on and try not to constantly have it bounce. Then ASAP replace your battery get it registered and pull codes to verify. If the problem persists then change your IVM. The IVM is the panel with the fuses just above the battery. Also get your alternator tested if its bad the issue will return

Last edited by Nygel; 05-22-2014 at 06:17 AM.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:24 AM
MuziqIzMe3

Thanks bro! @nygel

Old 05-25-2014, 06:26 AM

Mein Auto: BMW F01
UPDATE:

Thanks for the support and interest, I have been busy finishing the board layout and tweaking a few things.

The board is approx 100mm x 60mm and I have designed it to fit inside a die cast enclosure identical to the BMW switch box posted earlier.

The connector is from the same range as already used on the E65, a simple harness will be required to add the module in, it will be "loop in - loop out" so no cutting or splicing of the factory harness behind the NAV, the only splicing required will be to pick up the reverse lamp signal.

I will post pics of the setup when available.

I hope to get the board files sent out to the fab house tonight or tomorrow and will expect the boards in 10 or so days.

Initially I will build 3, one for myself and two that I am willing to sell, if there is serious interest then I will make more, it's only fair that I show finished working product before I sell any!

Please post your questions or comments.

Thanks

Stuart

Old 05-25-2014, 08:47 AM

Mein Auto: 750li
When you are ready, I'm ready to buy one of the 3.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:59 PM
Teenage Car Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 2002 745i
I honestly need a backup camera.. My two right rims have more curb rash than any other -___-
Ill buy one of 2 your selling, will pay for shipping as well as more than your asking. I really need one!!!

Ps: crazy you made this. Honestly this would probably never be discovered if it wasnt for you, and I thank you for that.
Old 05-25-2014, 02:14 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Mein Auto: Ford Pinto
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgucci745 View Post
I honestly need a backup camera.. My two right rims have more curb rash than any other -___-
Ill buy one of 2 your selling, will pay for shipping as well as more than your asking. I really need one!!!

Ps: crazy you made this. Honestly this would probably never be discovered if it wasnt for you, and I thank you for that.
How would a backup camera help with curb
Rash ??? It only displays what's behind you.
You would need a side camera for the curb .

Old 05-25-2014, 05:30 PM
Teenage Car Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPER View Post
You would need a side camera for the curb .

Don't know how dark your tints are. I can't see for **** backing up at night
At night parallel parking even with rear LEDs I've rashed my rims... I park on the street in Beverly Hills every day/night too I'm always parallel parking

Edit: I guess. Ill have to install a side camera then

Last edited by mgucci745; 05-25-2014 at 05:33 PM.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:38 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Quote:
Don't know how dark your tints are. I can't see for **** backing up at night
At night parallel parking even with rear LEDs I've rashed my rims... I park on the street in Beverly Hills every day/night too I'm always parallel parking

Ok I guess I have to REPEAT MYSELF !!!

You would need a side view camera for the curb
to save your rims from curb rash .

FYI = I have LIMO tint on my rear window
Do you not use your Side View Mirrors while parking ???

Last edited by PAPER; 05-25-2014 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 750i and 2015 740i
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPER View Post
Do you not use your Side View Mirrors while parking ???
He probably needs to enable auto-tilt...
Old 05-25-2014, 08:55 PM
Teenage Car Enthusiast

Haha I know of auto tilt... Honestly y'all needa chill I'm here to buy a backup camera. Yes a camera helps. It displays what's behind me. I'm not dumb IM JUST SAYING A BACKUP CAMERA WOULD HELP WITH PARKING THEREFORE I WOULD GET LESS CURB RASH
Old 05-25-2014, 09:03 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Quote:
Haha I know of auto tilt... Honestly y'all needa chill I'm here to buy a backup camera. Yes a camera helps. It displays what's behind me. I'm not dumb IM JUST SAYING A BACKUP CAMERA WOULD HELP WITH PARKING THEREFORE I WOULD GET LESS CURB RASH

SORRY I didn't mean to sound like a dick , I was just wondering
why you think a backup camera would help , When your obvious
problem is curb rash & you would need a side camera to help you
with that issue . As I answered your question letting you know I have
LIMO tint . I don't have a problem with curb rash , as I use my side
view mirror . I also do not have a rear view camera & am looking
forward to purchasing 1 of Stuarts units as it will be helpful in tight spots .
Old 05-26-2014, 08:44 AM

Mein Auto: 750li e65
@stuartjohn: i really love to have it if the price is acceptable, would u please say how much it cost ?
Old 05-26-2014, 10:45 AM

give me a pm when ready Stuart.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:45 PM

Mein Auto: 07 530xiT
Quote:
A few details:
The design does not require the use of a relay either! it will accept a direct wired connection from the reverse light. It also detects ignition ON from the voltage level of the NAV RGB input therefore reducing wiring. It also uses tyco connectors so there will be no cutting or splicing of the OEM wiring harness required.

Cheers,

Stuart
Stuart,

I assume there is only one trigger, that being the voltage applied to the reverse light?
Any thoughts on having a secondary trigger? I suppose you could put a diode in-line and have another 12 VDC source...

How long will the image remain on the screen after taking the transmission out of reverse? The OEM system has about a 5 second delay (going by memory), which allows you enough time to pull forward a bit and then back to reverse while keeping the image on the screen.

If your box loses power will it still pass the RGB signal through?

Will the connector on your box have spare power and ground pins to power the camera? It could produce a slightly cleaner install.

Thanks!
Old 05-26-2014, 08:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 E66 760Li
I am interested to buy a kit as well, count me in please and thank you for the time to put this together
Cheers
Old 05-27-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippjd View Post
Stuart,

I assume there is only one trigger, that being the voltage applied to the reverse light?
Any thoughts on having a secondary trigger? I suppose you could put a diode in-line and have another 12 VDC source...

How long will the image remain on the screen after taking the transmission out of reverse? The OEM system has about a 5 second delay (going by memory), which allows you enough time to pull forward a bit and then back to reverse while keeping the image on the screen.

If your box loses power will it still pass the RGB signal through?

Will the connector on your box have spare power and ground pins to power the camera? It could produce a slightly cleaner install.

Thanks!
Hi Rippjd,

The current design uses just the reverse input, a diode could be used if you wish to have a secondary switch.

The camera is powered directly from the module, it has a switched 12V output that is over current protected to approx 1A.

This is hardware driven output controlled by the conditioned reverse signal input, therefore having a delay I.e. 5 seconds was not in my original design spec but it can be easily incorporated with a software change and minor hardware mod. (I have sent the board design to a supplier and they are being manufactured as we speak).

The module is powered constantly from the navigation power supply and has three power states:

In it's OFF state a small circuit monitors the voltage level of the incoming RGB signals, this circuit draws negligible current so will not cause issues with the sleep mode of the E65.

IDLE state, when the module detects video on the RGB input it powers up the main regulators and power supplies, the microprocessor checks the inputs and then enters sleep mode, in this state the main RGB multiplexer circuit is powered to allow the NAV video to pass through. This feature is automatic.

REVERSE state, when a valid reverse signal is detected the microprocessor wakes up, the reverse camera is powered, the video circuit is powered up, any calibration data for brightness, contrast etc are read from the on board memory and programmed into the registers of the video IC. When a valid video signal is detected the RGB multiplexer switches the video over to the reverse view.

When the reverse signal is removed the video is returned to the NAV input and the microprocessor powers down the video circuit and goes back into sleep.

Stuart

Old 05-27-2014, 11:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 750Li
I am also interested stuartjohn. Please keep in mind when cost is known!!!
Old 05-27-2014, 12:00 PM

UPDATE:

The remaining parts arrived today from Mouser, I have used the same enclosure as the OEM switch box, it's compact and ideal for the job.

I won't win any awards for originality but at least it looks OEM.

Just a quick printed out mock-up to check I have my dimensions right!

And a load of bits ready to be fitted when the boards arrive. I have been promised a delivery date of the 12th of June for the PCB's

As for costs, due to the low volume and taxes for parts I have had to ship here in the UK I'm looking at around $250 each. I'm hoping that's not too much, I appreciate there are slightly cheaper mass produced Chinese versions available as they have the volume but they do not offer this split screen feature.

The price will include the power and RGB harness with tyco connectors/contacts so that no cutting of the factory loom is required.

Regards

Stuart

Last edited by stuartjohn24; 05-27-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
UPDATE:

The remaining parts arrived today from Mouser, I have used the same enclosure as the OEM switch box, it's compact and ideal for the job.

I won't win any awards for originality but at least it looks OEM.

Just a quick printed out mock-up to check I have my dimensions right!

And a load of bits ready to be fitted when the boards arrive. I have been promised a delivery date of the 12th of June for the PCB's

As for costs, due to the low volume and taxes for parts I have had to ship here in the UK I'm looking at around $250 each. I'm hoping that's not too much, I appreciate there are slightly cheaper mass produced Chinese versions available as they have the volume but they do not offer this split screen feature.

The price will include the power and RGB harness with tyco connectors/contacts so that no cutting of the factory loom is required.

Regards

Stuart

Let me know when your pre-testing is complete. I am on board
Old 05-27-2014, 02:53 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

I'm also on board Stuart

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search