My wife's CX-5 annoys this M4 owner. - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)

F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
F80 BMW M3 sedan, F82 BMW M4 coupe and F83 M4 convertible forum. This 5th generation M3 and all new M4 features a 3.0 liter twin turbo engine (engine code S55) 425hp and 406lbs of torque! Heavy use of light weight materials makes this generation lighter and faster then the outgoing E9x M3.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:27 AM
Extended Euro Delivery

Mein Auto: '18 X3
My wife's CX-5 annoys this M4 owner.

I love everything about my M4.

However if I were to complain....I will say this. My wife's '16 Mazda CX-5 has superior rear sensors to my M4; the cross traffic feature isn't even offered, I also prefer the Blind Spot Warning placement of the Mazda over my M4 as well.

Still prefer to drive my car, but it's kind of something that irks me, given that my car costs twice as much.

Blind spot Sensor warning

Cross Traffic

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2016, 01:55 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW Z4 sDrive 35is
Those do look much neater. Makes the BMW ones look boring

Last edited by Ultra Male; 12-02-2016 at 07:02 AM.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:16 AM
Extended Euro Delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy Phoenix View Post
Those do much neater. Makes the BMW ones look boring
Now that I think about it, the M4's aren't even bright enough to draw your attention to them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2016, 02:35 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCBayernFTW View Post
Now that I think about it, the M4's aren't even bright enough to draw your attention to them.

BMW never did some things well. Nav for instance is easily embarrassed by a $200 Costco Garmin.

But....guessing it changes direction better'n sweeter half's Mazda....
Old 12-02-2016, 02:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
BMW's stingy with the driving aids in the lower-end platforms. M3/4's are awesome, but they're still a 3/4 Series. So, they will be missing things that the 5's and 7's have.

One of my biggest BMW annoyance of late was the lack of Surround View on the X1. There were other fatal flaws that prevented the X1 become out next Frauwagen. The lowly Toyota RAV4 has a better system than even the high-end BMW's. But, that RAV4 really unravels under heavy track use.
Old 12-02-2016, 03:35 AM
Extended Euro Delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
BMW's stingy with the driving aids in the lower-end platforms. M3/4's are awesome, but they're still a 3/4 Series. So, they will be missing things that the 5's and 7's have.

One of my biggest BMW annoyance of late was the lack of Surround View on the X1. There were other fatal flaws that prevented the X1 become out next Frauwagen. The lowly Toyota RAV4 has a better system than even the high-end BMW's. But, that RAV4 really unravels under heavy track use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY DUE View Post
BMW never did some things well. Nav for instance is easily embarrassed by a $200 Costco Garmin.

But....guessing it changes direction better'n sweeter half's Mazda....
Why does BMW insist on map image over satellite imagery for anything <2 kilometer resolution? I recall Audi offers straight up google maps/imagery. Navteq is so ancient!

Last edited by FCBayernFTW; 12-02-2016 at 03:39 AM.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:50 AM
OEM Audio PnP Integration

Mein Auto: 2017 M3
The Mazda CX-5 was in a field of one when my 80-year-old father asked me to recommend an SUV for him. And the main reason for the Grand Touring trim was to have its standard safety pack -collision mitigation and cross traffic detection with actual automatic braking, and blind spot detection. Living in an state with plenty of snow in winter it has been excellent for him while having a sharp handling SUV has been a revelation to him as he was not expecting it to drive that well.

Compared to my 2017 M3 just delivered, I did order the Driver Assistance Plus package and removed quickly once I learned that the sucker did not offer any automatic braking, just a warning. I did get the surround camera for the first time, which I consider fantastic as it provides front and rear cross traffic detection the human way -by looking at the display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCBayernFTW View Post
I love everything about my M4.

However if I were to complain....I will say this. My wife's '16 Mazda CX-5 has superior rear sensors to my M4; the cross traffic feature isn't even offered, I also prefer the Blind Spot Warning placement of the Mazda over my M4 as well.

Still prefer to drive my car, but it's kind of something that irks me, given that my car costs twice as much.

Blind spot Sensor warning

Cross Traffic

BMW OEM Audio PnP integration
www.TechnicPnP.com
[email protected]
Old 12-02-2016, 10:06 AM
just a fool

Mein Auto: 2016 SO M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Compared to my 2017 M3 just delivered, I did order the Driver Assistance Plus package and removed quickly once I learned that the sucker did not offer any automatic braking, just a warning.
[/I]
It actually does break for you, but you have to get closer then the red warning sign would flash with an audible warning sound.

In the manual it says:
"The system sounds a warning before an imminent collision and actuates brakes independently if needed.
The automatic braking intervention is done with limited force and duration."

When I experienced the breaking for the 1st time as I was trying to shoot onto the exit lane, the breaking really threw me off.

Last edited by pdx325i; 12-02-2016 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:30 AM

I have read to many reviews of the BMW system and I concluded that either it really do not brake or the braking is not at the level of the other manufacturer systems. So I removed it from the order...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdx325i View Post
It actually does break for you, but you have to get closer then the red warning sign would flash with an audible warning sound.

In the manual it says:
"The system sounds a warning before an imminent collision and actuates brakes independently if needed.
The automatic braking intervention is done with limited force and duration."

When I experienced the breaking for the 1st time as I was trying to shoot onto the exit lane, the breaking really threw me off.

www.TechnicPnP.com
[email protected]
Old 12-02-2016, 11:48 AM
just a fool

Mein Auto: 2016 SO M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
I have read to many reviews of the BMW system and I concluded that either it really do not brake or the braking is not at the level of the other manufacturer systems. So I removed it from the order...
I don't know whether the auto-breaking will save me from a collision or just reduce the impact. But I feel those flashing red warnings had definitely alerted me. I would never put myself in a situation that I would have to rely on technology to break. So for me, it was useful.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:33 PM

Where I live there are too many drivers that cut you off anytime/anywhere and I think that at least automatic braking is really a must to have. But I think that BMW will delay the real pack of safety features until they are mandated as this F3x/8x DAP is not that effective as other manufacturers. They used to be the first with these kinds of features (ABS, traction control, dynamic/stability control) standard and now they treat them like an afterthought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdx325i View Post
I don't know whether the auto-breaking will save me from a collision or just reduce the impact. But I feel those flashing red warnings had definitely alerted me. I would never put myself in a situation that I would have to rely on technology to break. So for me, it was useful.

www.TechnicPnP.com
[email protected]
Old 12-02-2016, 01:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 15 F80 M3, Range Rover
I turn all that stuff off as much as possible. I can drive, I don't want a Nanna sitting beside me.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:57 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post

Don't sell 'em short! With tune and just a few suspension upgrades, RAV4 is a ringing challenge to Porsche and Bentley!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
Today's Posts Search