BMW f30 second (hidden) fuel sensor ? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: BMW F30 2013
BMW f30 second (hidden) fuel sensor ?

hello all,
i have BMW 328i F30 2013 automatic, lately i had problem with fuel gauge, it works from full to 3/4, then it stick there even if empty.. i had changed the fuel bump with sensor (under rear seat ,passenger side) but still have same problem.. i heard there is another fuel sensor in fuel tank, and it cannot be replaced until you change whole fuel tank, so is that right !!
if so, i'm in big trouble ..

thanks..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2015, 01:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328i XDrive
I'm assuming the "fuel bump" you replaced is the Electronic Fuel Pump Control (EKPS)?

The fuel level sensor is in fact in the fuel tank on the left-hand side.

Look at the following technical guide (pg 12 onwards):

http://www.bimmerpost.com/goodiesfor...owertrain1.pdf

I'm not sure if you can get to it from the access on the right side of the tank. Is your car's warranty not valid anymore?
Old 07-14-2015, 02:57 PM

thanks for your answer, after looking at that guide, i found there is two fuel sensors ( G - lever sensor) as mentioned in guide, one with fuel pump and another one inside fuel tank itself..
the problem is, how i can replace that sensor inside tank !?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2015, 05:01 PM
Bimmerfest Founder

Mein Auto: Various
I would guess you can access the tank through the back seat. This is for a 7 series but the idea is the same -

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=628083

Tim
Old 07-14-2015, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peshraw View Post
thanks for your answer, after looking at that guide, i found there is two fuel sensors ( G - lever sensor) as mentioned in guide, one with fuel pump and another one inside fuel tank itself..
the problem is, how i can replace that sensor inside tank !?
I just took another look at the guide and you are correct in that there are two "lever" [sic] sensors labelled G. But the diagram seems to indicate that Both these sensors are inside the tank, as is the fuel pump. So I'm still confused what you replaced. If you have already replaced the fuel pump (labelled 3 in the guide) and the sensor G within the "delivery unit", that would be similar to the guy whose thread Tim shared with you. But from what I can tell, you've already accessed the fuel tank from the access port on the delivery unit end of the tank. From the diagram it seems the other G sensor is pretty far from the access port under the seat.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:59 AM

thanks for response, let me make it clear..

and as you can see from this diagram, there is only one access to tank label (F), but there isn't any cover access to label (10) the second lever sensor ..

Last edited by Peshraw; 07-15-2015 at 03:02 AM.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
and as you can see from this diagram, there is only one access to tank label (F), but there isn't any cover access to label (10) the second lever sensor ..
Thanks for the clarification. I know the guide talks about the one "service opening" on the right, but there has to be a second service opening above the other fuel sensor. In fact, if you look at the diagram you posted above, there is an outline of an opening similar to F on the right hand side of the picture. Take a look at the following link where the person replaced both sensors in his E46. The F30 should have similar service openings, approximately behind each of the front two seats.

Replacing level sensors in an E46
Old 07-15-2015, 10:38 AM

sir, i removed back seat again, there is only one opening at passenger side, driver side is solid no openings or any access.. i really don't know what to do, it should be a way for that, it's not fair to replace whole tank just for sensor !
Old 07-15-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
sir, i removed back seat again, there is only one opening at passenger side, driver side is solid no openings or any access.. i really don't know what to do, it should be a way for that, it's not fair to replace whole tank just for sensor !
The question is, if there is no access to the left side of the tank, how in the world did BMW (or its manufacturer) get the sensor in there in the first place? It doesn't make to put the sensor in and then finish building the tank because there has to be some protocol for testing the sensors first. I highly doubt BMW scraps brand new (or under warranty tanks) just because a sensor fails like it did in your case. I'll check my car tonight and report back unless somebody else has access to their car more immediately.
Old 07-15-2015, 01:39 PM

Mein Auto: 09 135i
Realoem's pic makes it look like you can get to it from the top of the fuel tank, whether or not there is supposed to be an access panel for it is something I can't tell. May need to drop the tank to get to it.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=16_0872
Old 03-07-2017, 04:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 328i F30
Did you ever get this replaced? I have the same problem and a shop told me that it wasn't replaceable.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:27 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
hi there have you found a way to replace that second fuel sender?
Old 07-09-2019, 04:45 AM

Mein Auto:
i have the same problem and i dont know how to access the second fuel sender,there's only one hole where the fuel pump goes and no other way to get to the second fuel float

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
fuel sensor, fuel tanks

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search