"BMW acknowledges it is no longer Ultimate Driving Machine" - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque328 View Post
This, exactly. People are so impressionable. "I read it on the internet. Some guy on the internet said this so..."

Please, people, its time for a reality check.

As to the thread title, give me a break.
One thing that puzzles me is that, is electric a real assault or not? The Tesla factory supposedly will churn out Model 3 starting this July, but it is still unclear if Tesla will be around in the next 5-10 years.

On the other hand, MB coming up with self driving tech ahead of BMW can be a concern, especially if old-school driving characteristics(and ones that made "Ultimate Driving Machine" tagline plausible) are no longer the focus, then BMW does have to catch up on delivering the fancy techs to be at par with the rest of the competitors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2017, 09:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
The article title(which is quoted in the thread title) appears to be the author's extrapolation of the original Bloomberg article. Excerpts from bloomberg piece:

""We're in the midst of an electric assault," the presenter intones as the Tesla Inc. chief's photo pops up. "This must be taken very seriously.""

""It's easy to fall into a closed way of thinking," says Jutta Schwerdtle, a session leader who works in market research. "This helps push people out of that.""

From these statements it appears some BMW staff acknowledged that they were seriously behind competitors. Although that is not a direct acknowledgement of not living up to "Ultimate Driving Machine" tagline, it does seem to imply the UDM tagline is no longer relevant.
I know BMW's foray into hydrogen vehicles was years ago and they were technically successful. A primary reason for them to pursue hydrogen was that it retained the internal combustion driving feel. You're using hydrogen instead of gas. Electric cars are a whole new ball game and not for an organization that bills its products as ultimate driving machines, and with the associated IC feel, sound, etc. A real threat to BMW's relatively successful formula.

Past:
2010 GTI | Stage II
2007 Audi A4 | Stage I
2003 325i | DSG Transmission (yes, the old school one)
2001 325ci | ED | Silver | Sport | Premium
1995 318 Ti | Cosmos Black

Last edited by RockyM; 04-28-2017 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5D; 2016 428i
Lots of haters in the comments section of that link bemoaning the "decline of BMW."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2017, 11:11 AM
Novice driver

Mein Auto: 2014 320i ZSP ZMT
Quote:
One thing that puzzles me is that, is electric a real assault or not? The Tesla factory supposedly will churn out Model 3 starting this July, but it is still unclear if Tesla will be around in the next 5-10 years.

On the other hand, MB coming up with self driving tech ahead of BMW can be a concern, especially if old-school driving characteristics(and ones that made "Ultimate Driving Machine" tagline plausible) are no longer the focus, then BMW does have to catch up on delivering the fancy techs to be at par with the rest of the competitors.
Electrification is one pillar of the automotive industry's entire future. In the context of BMW, electrification isn't an assault on BMW, rather, BMW is well equipped to assault marginal players like Tesla in the next 5-10 years.

Electrification in no way vitiates the "Ultimate Driving Machine" philosophy, but actually bolsters it. A well designed electric powertrain, such as BMW's eDrive, delivers a level of smoothness and responsiveness that traditional Otto Cycle and Diesel Cycle power sources alone can't match. BMW has been very successful with the expansion and continual refinement of "eDrive". The BMW brand already has six EV and PHEV models globally (F30, G30, G11/G12, F15, i3, and i8) plus the F48 in China. EV and PHEV models from the Mini and Rolls Royce brands are coming soon.

I agree that Daimler is giving BMW some serious competition in the realm of autonomous driving technologies. I'm sure BMW will step up its game in this area.

Old 04-28-2017, 11:27 AM
Novice driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyM View Post
I know BMW's foray into hydrogen vehicles was years ago and they were technically successful. A primary reason for them to pursue hydrogen was that it retained the internal combustion driving feel. You're using hydrogen instead of gas. Electric cars are a whole new ball game and not for an organization that bills its products as ultimate driving machines, and with the associated IC feel, sound, etc. A real threat to BMW's relatively successful formula.
The Hydrogen 7 project was useful as a research effort, but BMW discontinued it after only two years because the bivalent hydrogen-gasoline powertrain had nearly all the disadvantages of traditional gasoline engines, and was also impacted by limited infrastructure for hydrogen fueling.

Cars with fuel cells using hydrogen and oxygen to power electric motors are much more promising by comparison, though once again limited infrastructure for hydrogen fueling is an impediment to widespread adoption.

Old 04-28-2017, 02:37 PM

Mein Auto: 335i Sport 8AT Sedan
Quote:
The article title(which is quoted in the thread title) appears to be the author's extrapolation of the original Bloomberg article. Excerpts from bloomberg piece:

""We're in the midst of an electric assault," the presenter intones as the Tesla Inc. chief's photo pops up. "This must be taken very seriously.""

""It's easy to fall into a closed way of thinking," says Jutta Schwerdtle, a session leader who works in market research. "This helps push people out of that.""

From these statements it appears some BMW staff acknowledged that they were seriously behind competitors. Although that is not a direct acknowledgement of not living up to "Ultimate Driving Machine" tagline, it does seem to imply the UDM tagline is no longer relevant.
I read the Bloomberg article, and I hear 'ya.

BUT - what BMW seems to be saying is that they believe that they are "behind the curve" for electric and/or autonomous vehicles, instead of being ahead of it. This in no way equates to them in some way declaring that they believe they are no longer the "Ultimate Driving Machine". Perhaps a better title would be "BMW acknowledges that they might not be the UDM of the future" because their fear is based on what the future may hold for them if they don't step up their game going forward; it's not based on their thinking about the present-day market. IMHO, of course...

Last edited by VCuomo; 04-28-2017 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2017 VW GTI Sport MT
Quote:
The thread title works just fine.
It's a lie.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:17 PM

Mein Auto: 18' Tesla Model 3 Perf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
It's a lie.
The thread title is clickbait just like I said... and it accomplished its objective which was to get people to click on it and talk about it.

BMW did not "acknowledge" or say anything like what the title said exactly. One can infer whatever they want to... but my initial statement that the title of THIS thread is clickbait stands.

2019 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue |Blk Leather W/Blue Stiching | Alu. Rhombicle trim | Adaptive Suspension | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | Wireless Charging | 21" 718 Wheels| | Executive Pack | HK Stereo (hers)

18' Tesla Model 3 Performance

BMW CCA #477341
Old 04-28-2017, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2017 VW GTI Sport MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
The thread title is clickbait just like I said... and it accomplished its objective which was to get people to click on it and talk about it.

BMW did not "acknowledge" or say anything like what the title said exactly. One can infer whatever they want to... but my initial statement that the title of THIS thread is clickbait stands.
And the OP changed it to a more accurate title then later changed it back. Curious as to his motives here. Or not as they seem blatant.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
Electrification is one pillar of the automotive industry's entire future. In the context of BMW, electrification isn't an assault on BMW, rather, BMW is well equipped to assault marginal players like Tesla in the next 5-10 years.

Electrification in no way vitiates the "Ultimate Driving Machine" philosophy, but actually bolsters it. A well designed electric powertrain, such as BMW's eDrive, delivers a level of smoothness and responsiveness that traditional Otto Cycle and Diesel Cycle power sources alone can't match. BMW has been very successful with the expansion and continual refinement of "eDrive". The BMW brand already has six EV and PHEV models globally (F30, G30, G11/G12, F15, i3, and i8) plus the F48 in China. EV and PHEV models from the Mini and Rolls Royce brands are coming soon.

I agree that Daimler is giving BMW some serious competition in the realm of autonomous driving technologies. I'm sure BMW will step up its game in this area.
It is unclear to me if electrification is indeed the industry's entire future, for one battery tech(including the ones from Tesla gigafactory) is still 10x behind gasoline in terms of energy density.

My thinking is that there are missing contexts from the both articles, e.g. my guess is BMW may have these internal conferences annually or bi-annually(typical of tech companies), and each meetup will focus on next big thing, and it just happens this year's focus is electrification.

Since there has not been our articles about this kind of BMW internal conference in the past, this year the BMW brass decided to invite journalists to participate, and to drum up some press coverage of future BMW directions. It can be likely the conference did cover new engine tech, next gen adaptive/active suspension, but at least the articles do not mention any of those, but zeroed in on "electric assault", so it does appear that theme probably was quite prominent, while next gen gasoline/diesel engines took supporting roles at best.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCuomo View Post
I read the Bloomberg article, and I hear 'ya.

BUT - what BMW seems to be saying is that they believe that they are "behind the curve" for electric and/or autonomous vehicles, instead of being ahead of it. This in no way equates to them in some way declaring that they believe they are no longer the "Ultimate Driving Machine". Perhaps a better title would be "BMW acknowledges that they might not be the UDM of the future" because their fear is based on what the future may hold for them if they don't step up their game going forward; it's not based on their thinking about the present-day market. IMHO, of course...
Yes "behind the curve" does make sense, esp. for a brand like BMW which prides to be at the forefront of tech, any tech.

Now the acknowledgement of "behind the curve" by itself can as well be BMW's subtle admission of not being UDM, as it is hard to imagine UDM and "behind the curve" are synonymous, right?

And according to the articles, that future is just around the corner, e.g. MB delivering self driving tech by end of this year, and Tesla shipping Model 3 starting sometime this year.

In that context, the thread title probably is right on target, as that really is the sense of urgency, or clear and present danger, permeated by the BMW brass to the BMW staff.

Last edited by namelessman; 04-28-2017 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Yes "behind the curve" does make sense, esp. for a brand like BMW which prides to be at the forefront of tech, any tech.

Now the acknowledgement of "behind the curve" by itself can as well be BMW's subtle admission of not being UDM, as it is hard to imagine UDM and "behind the curve" are synonymous, right?

And according to the articles, that future is just around the corner, e.g. MB delivering self driving tech by end of this year, and Tesla shipping Model 3 starting sometime this year.

In that context, the thread title probably is right on target, as that really is the sense of urgency, or clear and present danger, permeated by the BMW brass to the BMW staff.
If you consider tesla "ahead of the curve" in driving experience, yes. I doubt you do though.

Driving experience and "what people want" are different things. BMW is saying that they are behind the curve in producing what millenials (their future customers) want. Nothing about that says they are laking in driving experience.

The public doesnt want "ultimate driving experience", unless someone considered the shift to SUVs an indication that the public wants driving experience over "tech and comfort"?

So, no I dont agree with your thread title or premise, unless you think that a model S drives better (not accelerates quicker, drives better) than a BMW. I think you are in the bay area where teslas are basically almost like toyota camry's so I would imagine you have driven one. I have. Nice car (hate the big A** touch screen though, i much prefer BMWs measured approach to the user experience there). Not that fun a driving experience. It was faster than my 435, monstrous accelleration, but "soulless".

Thats what people want now, though (an appliance, at multiple price levels like cheap cloth couches, cheap leather couches and expensive couches.. all still a couch / appliance for sitting).

2019 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue |Blk Leather W/Blue Stiching | Alu. Rhombicle trim | Adaptive Suspension | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | Wireless Charging | 21" 718 Wheels| | Executive Pack | HK Stereo (hers)

BMW CCA #477341
Old 04-28-2017, 06:47 PM

Mein Auto: '16 328i M Sport
Quote:
If you consider tesla "ahead of the curve" in driving experience, yes. I doubt you do though.

Driving experience and "what people want" are different things. BMW is saying that they are behind the curve in producing what millenials (their future customers) want. Nothing about that says they are laking in driving experience.

The public doesnt want "ultimate driving experience", unless someone considered the shift to SUVs an indication that the public wants driving experience over "tech and comfort"?

So, no I dont agree with your thread title or premise, unless you think that a model S drives better (not accelerates quicker, drives better) than a BMW. I think you are in the bay area where teslas are basically almost like toyota camry's so I would imagine you have driven one. I have. Nice car (hate the big A** touch screen though, i much prefer BMWs measured approach to the user experience there). Not that fun a driving experience. It was faster than my 435, monstrous accelleration, but "soulless".

Thats what people want now, though (an appliance, at multiple price levels like cheap cloth couches, cheap leather couches and expensive couches.. all still a couch / appliance for sitting).
Millenials want a driverless iPad pro on wheels with a soft, multi cultural voice that constantly tells them that they matter and their opinions are valid; that they are special snowflakes in their own right and that life is fair. Ideally this car would never actually have to be operated. Basically Uber without the driver in an Elantra. They can park it in their Parent's driveway where they will live until they are 50 because it costs $1850 to rent a studio apartment

Last edited by Kafkaesque328; 04-28-2017 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:

In the context of the articles, the BMW brass basically told their staff that they are behind the curve in producing what their competitors can deliver imminently. That's not OK with BMW brass, and not OK for a company that is supposedly at the pinnacles of driving techs.

To add insult to injury, it is not one, but two competitors, in two critical areas of differentiation, namely, pure electric cars that go 200+ miles, and self driving tech.

On the subject of Ultimate Driving Machine, my assumption is that BMW brass does not see the tagline just for purely driving experience, or else softening the suspension for the mass would not have made it into the drawing board for F-chassis, and supposedly now carry onto G-chassis.

What the BMW brass wanted/want is supremacy of all driving tech, and not having any answer to Tesla and MB right now(not in the future, but RIGHT NOW) is not sitting well with the brass. If one is receptive of this perspective, it will be natural to see the context behind the thread title(as quoted directly from the thetruthaboutcars.com article). Just imagine how the BMW brass feels about the tagline "behind the curve Ultimate Driving Machine" ....

And as many festers acknowledge, the BMW staff can sympathize wit the BMW enthusiasts, but they listen to the BMW brass.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
In the context of the articles, the BMW brass basically told their staff that they are behind the curve in producing what their competitors can deliver imminently. That's not OK with BMW brass, and not OK for a company that is supposedly at the pinnacles of driving techs.

To add insult to injury, it is not one, but two competitors, in two critical areas of differentiation, namely, pure electric cars that go 200+ miles, and self driving tech.

On the subject of Ultimate Driving Machine, my assumption is that BMW brass does not see the tagline just for purely driving experience, or else softening the suspension for the mass would not have made it into the drawing board for F-chassis, and supposedly now carry onto G-chassis.

What the BMW brass wanted/want is supremacy of all driving tech, and not having any answer to Tesla and MB right now(not in the future, but RIGHT NOW) is not sitting well with the brass. If one is receptive of this perspective, it will be natural to see the context behind the thread title(as quoted directly from the thetruthaboutcars.com article). Just imagine how the BMW brass feels about the tagline "behind the curve Ultimate Driving Machine" ....

And as many festers acknowledge, the BMW staff can sympathize wit the BMW enthusiasts, but they listen to the BMW brass.
neither one of those are in any way, shape or form (either inferred or implied) "ultimate driving experience" so I still dont see where you are justifying your title S something other than clickbait. Not sure why I am debating this, however. it doesnt matter one bit. /shrug

BMW CCA #477341

Last edited by jjrandorin; 04-28-2017 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
neither one of those are in any way, shape or form (either inferred or implied) "ultimate driving experience" so I still dont see where you are justifying your title S something other than clickbait. Not sure why I am debating this, however. it doesnt matter one bit. /shrug
It is unclear to me how "Ultimate Driving Machine", which encompasses all tech of the car, somewhat gets narrowed down to/redefined as "ultimate driving experience".

In fact, the word "experience" does not show up once in the articles.

So it appears the thread title is criticized based on a specific mindset of what the articles mean, but not actually what the articles say.

Obviously different people have different interpretations, and it is healthy to agree to disagree.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:54 PM
Novice driver

Quote:
So, no I dont agree with your thread title or premise, unless you think that a model S drives better (not accelerates quicker, drives better) than a BMW.
The Tesla Model S I experienced a couple years ago drove much better than the comparably sized and priced sedan from BMW available at the time, the F02 7-Series (740Li). Model S was more agile, and the electric powertrain was smoother and more responsive than the gasoline engine in the F02.

If Tesla as a company embodied as much competence as the Model S' driving dynamics, they'd be on to something...

Last edited by gkr778; 04-28-2017 at 08:55 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
The Tesla Model S I experienced a couple years ago drove much better than the comparably sized and priced sedan from BMW available at the time, the F02 7-Series (740Li). Model S was more agile, and the electric powertrain was smoother and more responsive than the gasoline engine in the F02.

If Tesla as a company embodied as much competence as the Model S' driving dynamics, they'd be on to something...
It says a lot when the BMW brass decided to use Musk as a rally point to energize the troop, as if to defend the fatherland?!?(jk).

BTW, a similarly-colored prototype Model 3 was spotted a few days ago. It will be very cool if the production car also has similar road manner to that prototype.

https://thetechportal.com/2017/04/29...hboard-design/

Last edited by namelessman; 04-29-2017 at 12:49 AM.
Old 04-29-2017, 12:27 PM

Mein Auto: '16 328i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nulevel View Post
Lots of haters in the comments section of that link bemoaning the "decline of BMW."
Never changes, always the case. Any review or article about BMW in any automotive mag will be followed by a ton of comments from like 4 guys who likely drive 10 year old Camry V6's (ultimate sleeper bro!) or STI's or something going on and on about how bad BMW is and how much of a rip off they are and on and on. Jealous or something, otherwise, why comment if you are so stoked on your Civic Si or whatever?

R.I.P- 2014 320i Sport Pkg | 2010 VW GTI |2010 Mazda 3 2.5
Old 04-29-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque328 View Post
Never changes, always the case. Any review or article about BMW in any automotive mag will be followed by a ton of comments from like 4 guys who likely drive 10 year old Camry V6's (ultimate sleeper bro!) or STI's or something going on and on about how bad BMW is and how much of a rip off they are and on and on. Jealous or something, otherwise, why comment if you are so stoked on your Civic Si or whatever?
The vibe from these 2 articles(truthaboutcars and bloomberg) seems to be different than usual ones, right? Usually BMW press releases and/or journalist meets tend to be marketing hypes and such. Inviting journalists to internal "tech meets" is somewhat unusual, let alone allowing journalists to sit through battle-cry sessions.

But again this can be triggered by spy reports given to BMW brass of actual Model 3 protos that bend curves better than 3-series and have better ranges than i3, and the BMW brass just cannot ignore their own deficiencies any longer .... My 2 cents and hypothesis of course.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:07 AM

So BMW CEO is stepping down amidst profit and market share loss. The turn of events brings full circle to this April 2017 mind-warping thread of mine!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search